Sponsored by:

Dual Layer DVDs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E55 AMG
Dual Layer DVDs

Does any one know if the single-DVD COMAND player will work with dual-layer DVDs? I have a 2004 E55 (USA) which plays MP3s burned onto 4.7GB discs just fine. But I'd like to double my pleasure with dual layer DVDs of MP3s. TIA.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by AMG Speed
Does any one know if the single-DVD COMAND player will work with dual-layer DVDs? I have a 2004 E55 (USA) which plays MP3s burned onto 4.7GB discs just fine. But I'd like to double my pleasure with dual layer DVDs of MP3s. TIA.
I'd like to know this as well. In my experience, I can't even get my COMAND to read a single-layer's worth of mp3's. It seems to only recognize about 1.8 or 1.9 gb of data....
Old 03-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 728 Likes on 709 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
u need euro COMAND...
contact MBenzNL@gmail.com
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by bobgodd
I'd like to know this as well. In my experience, I can't even get my COMAND to read a single-layer's worth of mp3's. It seems to only recognize about 1.8 or 1.9 gb of data....
Ditto...I've only used CDs because it does not seem to like DVDs.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Timeless
Ditto...I've only used CDs because it does not seem to like DVDs.
I can get it to read mp3's off of DVD's, but not a full DVD worth. I think I should experiment with different burning programs maybe.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
I can get it to read mp3's off of DVD's, but not a full DVD worth. I think I should experiment with different burning programs maybe.
Yea, I use Nero to burn mine. Have not tried burning less than a full DVD though. Am not sure the program is going to have as much to do with it as the brand of DVD-writer being used.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:19 PM

2004 E55
I think I was able to find information on this topic off this forum, so a search may be in order. First off, the command has to be updated to a certain software version in order to play DVD's. There are a few TSBs that identify issues you can complain about to get them to update the command software for free. After that, if you have too many folders on your DVDs or too many songs in one folder (i think the limit is 180 or so), it wont read all of them. I was able to get mine to work with limiting the number of folders on the DVD and keeping the number of songs in each folder under that 180 limit.

Don't know about the dual layer DVD though.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:25 AM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Allow me to answer my own question. I burned several dual layer DVDs and they all worked perfectly. The car gave me an error message upon inserting the discs for the first time but you could access/play every song regardless. The car never gives another error message after that any time you start it. I now have 1400+ songs on a disc containing over 8GB of information. This is fantastic! It's probably important to have a certain firmware update of COMAND but mine worked with an older update (but newer than what came with the car) that I found on a torrent site over a year ago. For what it's worth, I used Memorex DVDs and Nero 7.x for the burns.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Allow me to answer my own question. I burned several dual layer DVDs and they all worked perfectly. The car gave me an error message upon inserting the discs for the first time but you could access/play every song regardless. The car never gives another error message after that any time you start it. I now have 1400+ songs on a disc containing over 8GB of information. This is fantastic! It's probably important to have a certain firmware update of COMAND but mine worked with an older update (but newer than what came with the car) that I found on a torrent site over a year ago. For what it's worth, I used Memorex DVDs and Nero 7.x for the burns.
Can I ask how you have your mp3's organized on the disc?? When I tried to put mp3's on a DVD, I put 4gb or so worth in one massive folder, and the COMAND would only read 180ish songs.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:51 AM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Can I ask how you have your mp3's organized on the disc?? When I tried to put mp3's on a DVD, I put 4gb or so worth in one massive folder, and the COMAND would only read 180ish songs.
Yeah, there seems to be some limit on number of songs that can go in a single folder. That's not a problem, just burn the disc with several folders and even subfolders as you wish. I'm a huge RUSH fan for instance, so I created a Rush folder with many subfolders, one for each of their albums (and they have many). I have over 4 GB of just their albums on MP3s. This way they are better organized as you can just arrow to the album/song you want by using the COMAND control pad. Since each folder has less than about 20 songs per each, I easily get around the size per folder limitation with lots of room to spare.

You can have folders for groups you like (AC/DC, Beatles, etc.), musical genres (Jazz, Rock, etc.) or even something like "Favorites A-G" and "Favorites H-Z". It makes it a lot easier to find what you're looking for fast while allowing you to fill up the entire single or dual layer disc with accessible music.

By the way, all the folder names you chose show up on the COMAND screen and it's very logical to move through them. COMAND will hop from one folder to another in order or randomly as you like. It can just play 1500 songs back to back, one after the next, so the folders are transparent in function and don't cause a disruption of music whatsoever. Hope that helps.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Yeah, there seems to be some limit on number of songs that can go in a single folder. That's not a problem, just burn the disc with several folders and even subfolders as you wish. I'm a huge RUSH fan for instance, so I created a Rush folder with many subfolders, one for each of their albums (and they have many). I have over 4 GB of just their albums on MP3s. This way they are better organized as you can just arrow to the album/song you want by using the COMAND control pad. Since each folder has less than about 20 songs per each, I easily get around the size per folder limitation with lots of room to spare.

You can have folders for groups you like (AC/DC, Beatles, etc.), musical genres (Jazz, Rock, etc.) or even something like "Favorites A-G" and "Favorites H-Z". It makes it a lot easier to find what you're looking for fast while allowing you to fill up the entire single or dual layer disc with accessible music.

By the way, all the folder names you chose show up on the COMAND screen and it's very logical to move through them. COMAND will hop from one folder to another in order or randomly as you like. It can just play 1500 songs back to back, one after the next, so the folders are transparent in function and don't cause a disruption of music whatsoever. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info!

I am also a HUGE Rush fan. Been my favorite band for 20+ years now. Is sad to see them getting so old.

YYZ!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Timeless
Thanks for the info!

I am also a HUGE Rush fan. Been my favorite band for 20+ years now. Is sad to see them getting so old.

YYZ!
What is sadder is that I'm getting old along with them.
I haven't missed a single one of their concerts since my first one, Signals. I actually had the opportunity to go back stage and talk and take pictures with them on the original Snakes and Arrows tour. Well, of course Neil wasn't there. I asked Geddy and Alex that I thought Rush had three band members. They said that Neil was just a drum-playing robot and that Rush was really just the two of them. I told them that I thought it was because Neil couldn't pretend a stranger was a long-awaited friend. They laughed and were really cool.