Sponsored by:

Dealership flashed my ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML63 2013 SL63
Dealership flashed my ECU

I recently had my car tuned through powerchip back in Oct of 08'. I took my car to the dealship last week and they reflashed my ECU and TCU. Is my powerchip tune gone now??
Old 03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
yes most likely it is.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Ya, it's most likely long gone. Don't quote me on this, but I believe Powerchip does "upgrade" tunes for customers for something like $100-$200, at least I think that is what evosport offers. I would contact whoever you purchased the tune from and explain your situation. Powerchip/evosport recently (last week) reflashed an updated tune on my car with Powerchips most up to date 63 tune. I'm sure Powerchip will work something out for you, they jumped through hoops for me.

Be careful in the future when you bring your car in for service, try to establish a good relationship with your service manager (bribes and X-mas gifts don't hurt) and feel him out (not literally LOL) to see if he is a mod friendly guy, maybe bring up the fact that you are thinking about putting a tune on your car and ask his opinion, you should be able to read his response, if you feel he cool with it then let him know about your ECU tune on your next visit and they can be careful not to plug you in for updates during your service visits.

Last edited by jrcart; 03-24-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
VRP had an update tune for my car which they did for free.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Honestly, I like getting all updates and flashes done to my car. I hate the idea of being on an '03 ECU tune in 2009.

Get with Powerchip, they will simply flash you with the latest.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
What JRCart wrote is pretty much right on the money. Contact your tuner (the one you bought the Powerchip from) and they can take care of you with whatever options you may have.

Typically there is a minimal re-flash fee (covers the labor that Powerchip has to put into each DME flash). Typically the reflash fee is $100.

The advice to always notate with the dealer to NOT touch the ECU without specifically getting your permission is a good one.

thanks
brad
Old 03-25-2009, 06:11 AM

2004 E55 AMG
My dealer has a policy of not touching the ECU, ever. They have experienced the customer tune issue. They said they won't touch it even if the MB computer tells them to do an upgrade during service. They are good guys who understand our community. IN fact, most of the guys in service dept are gun club shooters like me and racers to boot. One is a pro dirt track racer. I love Daytona!
Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Wryfox
My dealer has a policy of not touching the ECU, ever. They have experienced the customer tune issue. They said they won't touch it even if the MB computer tells them to do an upgrade during service. They are good guys who understand our community. IN fact, most of the guys in service dept are gun club shooters like me and racers to boot. One is a pro dirt track racer. I love Daytona!
Ah a fellow Daytona peep! I'm amazed that you're happy with MBDB. The head tech is a great guy, no doubt, and the sales guys are also nice.

But the rest of them, from Pelchen right on down, and including Iafonte, leave a lot to be desired. They're nice enough when everything goes o.k., but if you ever have a problem with something they've done, or if they ever screw something up, then be prepared to be horrified at the way you're treated.

Some jr. tech accidentally busted the retaining tabs off a xenon headlight on my car, and they tried sixteen different ways to weasel out of fixing it. They only did the right thing after I had drafted the small claims suit I was going to file the next day and sent them a copy.

Then I have a buddy who had a CLS55 (another member of this forum) who got essentially blackmailed when they phucked up his car. Even though it was completely their screwup, they told him they had decided they weren't going to fix it, and that if he had a problem with it then they would have to follow MB guidelines and Status 8 the car, even though they'd never said a word about it before! They had been working on the already-modded car for the whole time he owned it, and only threatened Status 8 when he wanted them to stand behind their screwup. Nice customer service there.

In my experience when push comes to shove, they are just shady people. If you're modded and going there, you really should be sleeping with one eye open.

For anything non-warranty related, you really want to go to Vic at B.A.C. Automotive on Beach Street (used to be European Auto Works on Mason Ave). He really knows what he's doing, is very reasonable (1/4 of the cost of the dealer), and stands behind his work.