Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Question ticking noise from driver side engine bay

Well I know a lot of members hear the knocking (ticking) noise from the v8 K…but mine has gotten a little bit more ticky…can I say that?

Tik tik tik tik form the driver side bank, the one that usually leaks.

What I want to know is, why has the tik tik sound gotten higher and what is it caused from?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
ICV maybe
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by shardul
ICV maybe
sorry and that is? the two little circle things near front of airbox?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
My tick got bad right before I had to replace my sparkplugs...
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
My tick got bad right before I had to replace my sparkplugs...
when do you normaly need to replace them?
and what are the signs to dying plugs?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 E55
Is it noisy lifter tick, or something more solid?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by bobgodd
Is it noisy lifter tick, or something more solid?
its just that tick tick tick tick as you are reading it
Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Zod
its just that tick tick tick tick as you are reading it
Well do you know what noisy lifters sound like? Does the tick increase speed if you give it a little gas?
Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
If it is coming from DIRECTLY under the airboxes (towards the valve covers), it is probably a bad valve lifter or normal noise from the injectors.

When was the oil last changed as very dirty oil can increase lifter noise.

No way the plugs are going to cause a ticking noise.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
If it is coming from DIRECTLY under the airboxes (towards the valve covers), it is probably a bad valve lifter or normal noise from the injectors.

When was the oil last changed as very dirty oil can increase lifter noise.

No way the plugs are going to cause a ticking noise.
emm i am actuly due an oil change!

will see if it goes away when i get it changed
thanks for the info guys!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Well do you know what noisy lifters sound like? Does the tick increase speed if you give it a little gas?
+1 if it's doing this it can be a Sticky Lifter, also is it louder when cold @ 1st start-up, & lessons in noise when fully warmed up? If yes? Sticky lifter can be like others have said "Oil low/not changed regularly" It can also be on verge of failing, fresh oil change will def determine this...

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Zod
emm i am actuly due an oil change!

will see if it goes away when i get it changed
thanks for the info guys!
sounds like a lifter that is not staying pressurized. If that is the case you will want to replace the lifters and lifter seals. I was helping an associate with an SL500 and his car has 60k miles but his entire top end is in trouble. First a cam shaft and rocker were damaged by some debris getting into the roller and scoring the cam shaft very badly. Then after he fixed the one rocker and the cam (to get the car quiet to sell it) the lifters on that same bank went bad. Randomly the car will have a TERRIBLE tick tick tick sound. To go back in and replace the lifters and re-build the upper end is not cheap.

Have your heads checked. I hope its nothing other than a normal loud M113k but it sounds like lifter trouble to me.

How many miles?
Old 03-28-2009, 04:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
I had the same kind of noise in my C63 from Day 1, but to be honest I haven't heard it that often since adding 1500+ miles on it.....I'll have to pay more attention.

It was a ticking "fan noise" or valve tick that I heard inside the cabin only at idle, most often in the garage, but also at red lights when stopped. Disappeared when on the gas.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Mine does that when cold. I asssume it's a lifter that bleeds down overnight. I only have 22K on the car.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
my car has a tick to it as well until it warms up and a little driving....then goes away...
Old 03-28-2009, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by Fr33kn63
my car has a tick to it as well until it warms up and a little driving....then goes away...
That's usually because it takes the oil a bit to make its way up to the valve covers to lubricate things up and quell the ticking. Usually.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
That's usually because it takes the oil a bit to make its way up to the valve covers to lubricate things up and quell the ticking. Usually.
yeah thats basically what i figured. That is one reason when the car is cold i usually let it wrm up for 5 or so minutes before pulling out of the driveway.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I know there is a valve on the drivers side front that makes a ticking sound. Ken (my friend who runs the local Benz service) said he gets complaints about it all the time.

I'll ask him for the name of it but I have the same ticking sound. Can only hear mine at idle and listening close. Yours at all speeds?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:46 PM

'10 c63,'03expedition,ducati999,22'Donzi
guys, is the ticking coming from the block itself or from some other part of the engine bay? my car makes a clicking noise as well.but its coming from around the ABS unit. the mechanic at the dealer sad its a purge valve.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I know there is a valve on the drivers side front that makes a ticking sound. Ken (my friend who runs the local Benz service) said he gets complaints about it all the time.

I'll ask him for the name of it but I have the same ticking sound. Can only hear mine at idle and listening close. Yours at all speeds?
Well same, can only hear it at idle….bit difficult to hear it at speeds, when the engine is roaring

And yes I heard it from valve on the driver’s side front….the one that usually leaks on a lot of cars…Anyone found a fix to this by the way?
Scheduled for an oil change today, so will see how it goes inshalah (god willing)
Khalid
Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
emm changed oil and flushed and changed again....tech heard the tick tick as i left

says it could be lifters....car has 25k....

so what are my options and how much is this going to rape the modding stash
bah

what are the dangers of driving and driving hard with noisy lifters?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Zod
emm changed oil and flushed and changed again....tech heard the tick tick as i left

says it could be lifters....car has 25k....

so what are my options and how much is this going to rape the modding stash
bah

what are the dangers of driving and driving hard with noisy lifters?
Like I said I have a friend going through this same thing with a NON amg car right now.

Your car is under warranty correct? 06 with 22k?

If not it could be pricey. If you go with replacing all the lifters and lifter seals it can get pricey.

It depends what they find is causing the issue. The car I was talking about also had issues with the rollers and cam shafts. That car needs 8500 in work and the owner is looking to just put in a new motor for 5k installed.

As for the damage caused by a bad lifter/seal varies. If it is minor it wont really cause an issue. If it is a pretty bad situation (where no oil is staying between the cam shaft and the lifter it will eventually wear the tip of the lifter causing it to become lose. After time the valve will drop out and fall into the motor. This is a worst case situation where the ticking is EXTREME.

I also know that when it is minor cars can be driven for 100k miles without an issue.

One way to see what the cause is would be to put in 15W-50 Mobil 1. That thicker oil will possibly keep the lifter pressurized (thicker oil wont drain out as quickly) and this could quiet it down.

I did this when a E320 daily driver I had with 100k miles (went back to 20w-50 factory fill instead of the 0w-40 mobil 1 I was using) and the lifters never made a sound again.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Like I said I have a friend going through this same thing with a NON amg car right now.

Your car is under warranty correct? 06 with 22k?

If not it could be pricey. If you go with replacing all the lifters and lifter seals it can get pricey.

It depends what they find is causing the issue. The car I was talking about also had issues with the rollers and cam shafts. That car needs 8500 in work and the owner is looking to just put in a new motor for 5k installed.

As for the damage caused by a bad lifter/seal varies. If it is minor it wont really cause an issue. If it is a pretty bad situation (where no oil is staying between the cam shaft and the lifter it will eventually wear the tip of the lifter causing it to become lose. After time the valve will drop out and fall into the motor. This is a worst case situation where the ticking is EXTREME.

I also know that when it is minor cars can be driven for 100k miles without an issue.

One way to see what the cause is would be to put in 15W-50 Mobil 1. That thicker oil will possibly keep the lifter pressurized (thicker oil wont drain out as quickly) and this could quiet it down.

I did this when a E320 daily driver I had with 100k miles (went back to 20w-50 factory fill instead of the 0w-40 mobil 1 I was using) and the lifters never made a sound again.
hmm how much oil do you you guys top up with?
I have been doing them every 5k (intsted of 10k) with the recomended mobile 1 oil. Last oil change i think i only used 8 liters.

Any way i desided to go with a different recomended oil (castrol edage 10w 60) and got 8 liters of that. Also got 8 lit of 5w 10 just for flushing with the engien wash!

tech said the mobile 1 that came out was black, and the wash came out dark brown even after completre dranage & wash witht he other oil

Filled it up with the new 10 w 60 and they said it was fine....

I desided to run a check oil level and saw it disply i needed 1.5 liters more (then it hit me i used to fill up with more then 8 liters in the past)
so i went and got some more to top it up until it said it was happy .

Thing is they usuly recomend to run less due to our heat here..

could this have been the cause?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Zod
hmm how much oil do you you guys top up with?
I have been doing them every 5k (intsted of 10k) with the recomended mobile 1 oil. Last oil change i think i only used 8 liters.

Any way i desided to go with a different recomended oil (castrol edage 10w 60) and got 8 liters of that. Also got 8 lit of 5w 10 just for flushing with the engien wash!

tech said the mobile 1 that came out was black, and the wash came out dark brown even after completre dranage & wash witht he other oil

Filled it up with the new 10 w 60 and they said it was fine....

I desided to run a check oil level and saw it disply i needed 1.5 liters more (then it hit me i used to fill up with more then 8 liters in the past)
so i went and got some more to top it up until it said it was happy .

Thing is they usuly recomend to run less due to our heat here..

could this have been the cause?
These cars do run 8.9 quarts of oil or so. MB pretty much states the real fill level by means of weight. The same goes for the amount a motor should burn before there is an issue. I dont understand why but they like going by weight as they say it is more accurate that way.

That 60 weight oil is pretty darn thick but it is very good for seriously hard driving. If you run the car ragged for 1 hr straight that is a nice oil but for normal street driving it is a bit thick.

Now if the car is quiet again, that means your lifter seals are a tad weak. Since it is now staying presurized and quiet thats great. Just drive it and monitor the sound and oil consumption.

I have see M113k motors use about 1 quart each 1-3k miles.

As for doing oil changes, I think you can get a factory dip stick tool if you dont have a real dip stick on the motor. I cant recall but I swear these cars have dip sticks. I know my M156 does and I think my SL55 does. If it does use thats for checking the oil level as that computer thing is far from idea in my eyes.

I would switch back to 5w-40 next time to see if the sound comes back. If it does your motor will need some work one of these days.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Ok so I'm revisiting this thread because my engine has recently been experiencing unpleasant noises.

From what I can tell it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine, and it is a clanking noise. It doesn't sound healthy to be honest, but I can't say for sure what's causing it. It isn't noisy lifter noise. The noise is present at idle and under load and is present as soon as I start the car. I'm fearing something bad. I know I have a leak at both valve cover gaskets and I'm going to replace both of those as soon as I get home to the car... But I don't think it'll make much of a difference. The noise is present even immediately after an oil change. My car does burn a lot of oil too, at least it seems like a lot to me. I usually have to add 1-2 quarts between oil changes.

It's an 04, about 65k miles. Any idears? Naturally, no warranty coverage lol.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ticking noise from driver side engine bay