good idea or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 BMW 330i Coupe
good idea or not?

Hello people,

I am planning on buying myself a new car within the next month and was contemplating on whether or not it is a good idea to buy an '03 E55. If you could give me some of your feedback I would appreciate it. Also, what things I should look out for and what is important when buying the car.

Thank you.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 AM

2006 E55 2004 Audi S4 (gone and missed)
I'm gonna chime in here before the rest of the guys get to you. Welcome, the E55 is an amazing machine and if you purchase one you probably won't regret it. However, like any other high performance car they do have thier fair share of problems.

That being said, and with no disrespect intended; you are asking a very broad question that gets asked here 10 times a day. You should provide more information; mileage, options, warranty, etc. This will make it easier for people to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

Thier is a wealth of knowledge shared on this forum everyday, I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned about my car in the last six months. Use the search feature and come back with more direct questions, the members here will be happy to help.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 PM

2004 BMW 330i Coupe
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I am willing to get an '03 because that's as far as my budget stretches. Therefore, I want to know whether it's a good idea or not to even consider getting the car due to the warranty situation. The '03's usually don't have the manufacturer warranty anymore, right? If not, how do I go about getting a legitimate warranty so most of the things that could go wrong are covered. I was looking at the tectite gray color, they're beautiful. As far as miles go, anywhere from 40k to 50k. A lot of people have told me that buying this car without a warranty can be very damaging financially. I was also interested in finding out in how much I should expect to be spending on the car on a monthly basis. To get the car serviced, do the warranties cover it, or is out of pocket expense? How much to get the breaks changed, oil changed, tune-ups, etc. Anything else you can add to it, I would highly appreciate. Sorry for the broader question I posted in the beginning, had no intentions to cause frustration.

Thank you.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
There is nothing wrong with an '03 as long as it is a low mile car and well treated. I have also not seen anything that would lead me to believe the '03 is any more or less reliable than any other year. In fact, some very early cars have pulled some very strong dyno numbers stock.

DO NOT buy a cheap ragged on high mile POS E55 unless you want your wallet ripped out of your jeans with 10lbs of flesh!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I agree that there is nothing wrong with a clean '03. The only thing I don't like about them is the older comand unit and I don't even know if all of the '03s were that way.

Go by miles and shape instead of MY and you will be fine.

We may not have a good controlled data set, but the '03s seem to have the strongest stock numbers.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Almost a Member!

chevy
that's a good idea......
Old 04-19-2009, 02:09 AM

2006 E55 2004 Audi S4 (gone and missed)
Wink

Originally Posted by aejalil
Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I am willing to get an '03 because that's as far as my budget stretches. Therefore, I want to know whether it's a good idea or not to even consider getting the car due to the warranty situation. The '03's usually don't have the manufacturer warranty anymore, right? If not, how do I go about getting a legitimate warranty so most of the things that could go wrong are covered. I was looking at the tectite gray color, they're beautiful. As far as miles go, anywhere from 40k to 50k. A lot of people have told me that buying this car without a warranty can be very damaging financially. I was also interested in finding out in how much I should expect to be spending on the car on a monthly basis. To get the car serviced, do the warranties cover it, or is out of pocket expense? How much to get the breaks changed, oil changed, tune-ups, etc. Anything else you can add to it, I would highly appreciate. Sorry for the broader question I posted in the beginning, had no intentions to cause frustration.

Thank you.
No worries, like the other guys said, some of the 03's put up great power numbers, and really are not very different than an 05 or 06. The only difference being, the later models have updated steering and suspension. Regular maintenance on this car is pricey. Brakes are expensive, oil changes,
(9 quarts synthetic) and tune ups,(16 spark plugs) are all going to set you back some $$$. It's very important that you find a clean car that has been regularly serviced, with relatively low mileage. You will definetely need to purchase an aftermarket warranty. Good Luck.

Read this thread

Who has the Chrysler aftermarket warranty?

I believe it is currently on page 2 or 3 of the W211 forum.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
I have an 03 E55 with now 61K miles. Nothing wrong it with, I love it. Have a warranty and you're set.