82mm TB Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
82mm TB Question

Does anyone know what Renntech does with the y-pipe when they do the 82mm throttle body upgrade? I recently did an 82mm tb upgrade on my car but it required a whole new intake setup and some custom work. If they reuse the stock y-pipe and airboxes that would be a pretty big restriction. I think I can make a "kit" for the 82mm tb upgrade for the 55k motors with a decent price once I find out what to do with the y-pipe section.

Edit: my setup is much different and more difficult than the 55k to work with in terms of TB placement and piping (I also have a MAF sensor but the 55k does not). TB on a 55k looks like it would be a breeze and I definitely plan on trying it on some local cars with before/after dynos.

Last edited by blackbenzz; 05-01-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Does anyone know what Renntech does with the y-pipe when they do the 82mm throttle body upgrade? I recently did an 82mm tb upgrade on my car but it required a whole new intake setup and some custom work. If they reuse the stock y-pipe and airboxes that would be a pretty big restriction. I think I can make a "kit" for the 82mm tb upgrade for the 55k motors with a decent price once I find out what to do with the y-pipe section.

Edit: my setup is much different and more difficult than the 55k to work with in terms of TB placement and piping (I also have a MAF sensor but the 55k does not). TB on a 55k looks like it would be a breeze and I definitely plan on trying it on some local cars with before/after dynos.
They just re-use 80mm y pipe. Which sounds strange I know, but its cheaper

Also you have to understand the Y pipe has two pipes going into the TB

Those two flowing together might provide enough flow for the 82mm tb

Although I have not ran any tests to confirm this, but just speculating, could be wrong
Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Zod
They just re-use 80mm y pipe. Which sounds strange I know, but its cheaper

Also you have to understand the Y pipe has two pipes going into the TB

Those two flowing together might provide enough flow for the 82mm tb

Although I have not ran any tests to confirm this, but just speculating, could be wrong
Wow really? The inside diameter of the 80mm y pipe is much smaller than 80mm. It doesn't matter how big the 2 pipes flowing into the y are if the outlet of the y is small. This is definitely a restriction point but so is the rest of the airbox, especially the inlets at the front of the car. I completely got rid of my 55k airbox and y-pipe. I now just run 85mm piping from the TB all the way to one side of the car with a cone filter and have a hole in the headlight with a silicone hose through it directing air to the cone giving it "cold" air. But that is not for everyone since it doesn't look OEM at all lol. How much does Renntech charge for their TB kit? There is a local SL55 that I will probably put a 82mm TB on, maybe the VRP airbox can fit a 82mm TB?

Last edited by blackbenzz; 05-01-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Wow really? The inside diameter of the 80mm y pipe is much smaller than 80mm. It doesn't matter how big the 2 pipes flowing into the y are if the outlet of the y is small. This is definitely a restriction point but so is the rest of the airbox, especially the inlets at the front of the car. I completely got rid of my 55k airbox and y-pipe. I now just run 85mm piping from the TB all the way to one side of the car with a cone filter and have a hole in the headlight with a silicone hose through it directing air to the cone giving it "cold" air. But that is not for everyone since it doesn't look OEM at all lol. How much does Renntech charge for their TB kit? There is a local SL55 that I will probably put a 82mm TB on, maybe the VRP airbox can fit a 82mm TB?
Ahmad-
As you are aware of the largest restriction will ultimately be the size of the throttle body and with your set up I would not be too concerned about not getting enough air for your BEAST!

The housing for the throttle body could be machined/ported slightly without breaching the integrity of it.

I know if you put your mind to it you will make it happen!

I agree with Zod on the speculation part(no concrete testing to back up our beliefs) but you know the way I think to Ahmad.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Ahmad-
As you are aware of the largest restriction will ultimately be the size of the throttle body and with your set up I would not be too concerned about not getting enough air for your BEAST!

The housing for the throttle body could be machined/ported slightly without breaching the integrity of it.

I know if you put your mind to it you will make it happen!

I agree with Zod on the speculation part(no concrete testing to back up our beliefs) but you know the way I think to Ahmad.
Wussup? Are you coming to MIR on May 8th? Thanks for the info, I already put a 82mm TB on my car I am trying to put it on a 55k car now And yea, I will git er done fer sure! lol
Old 05-01-2009, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///AMG
PM'd

Need some input on setup
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Wussup? Are you coming to MIR on May 8th? Thanks for the info, I already put a 82mm TB on my car I am trying to put it on a 55k car now And yea, I will git er done fer sure! lol
May 8th might work.

You looking to go 9's that day or what?

That would be worth the 300 mile trip!

Did you get LET re-tune it yet? That thang is NASTY!!!!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Pics please!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
May 8th might work.

You looking to go 9's that day or what?

That would be worth the 300 mile trip!

Did you get LET re-tune it yet? That thang is NASTY!!!!
Cool!

Nah, no 9's for me. I did get LET to retune but my injectors are now maxed out up top (found out after tuning, so theres more power left on the table right now) so I bought some SLR injectors and trying to get them flow tested soon. Then I have to wait til LET come sback into town to retune.
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
Pics please!
Of what? When the TB is installed on my car you can't even see it. It is tucked under the supercharger. It is different than the factory 55k cars. I will take plenty of pics when we are doing the first 55k car. There is a BIG difference between stock and the 82mm. I dont understand what the eyerolling is for. Do you think I'm lying?

Last edited by blackbenzz; 05-01-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Cool!

Nah, no 9's for me. I did get LET to retune but my injectors are now maxed out up top (found out after tuning, so theres more power left on the table right now) so I bought some SLR injectors and trying to get them flow tested soon. Then I have to wait til LET come sback into town to retune.
Duty cycle shouldn't be more than 80-85% so I guess you were hitting 100% with the other injectors.

What lb injector were you running when they were maxed?

Are they typical Bosch/Bosch style injectors?

I'll try a get you some info if you can answer the above questions.

They were maxed out off the bottle right? That wouldn't be a pretty sight on the bottle.

What about a fuel pressure regulator or a boost-a-pump?(unless you already have it)
Old 05-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Duty cycle shouldn't be more than 80-85% so I guess you were hitting 100% with the other injectors.

What lb injector were you running when they were maxed?

Are they typical Bosch/Bosch style injectors?

I'll try a get you some info if you can answer the above questions.

They were maxed out off the bottle right? That wouldn't be a pretty sight on the bottle.

What about a fuel pressure regulator or a boost-a-pump?(unless you already have it)
It was nearing 100% injector duty cycle so Wayne backed off on the fueling to avoid static condition and the car uns a bit lean up top now. Replacing the injectors should fix that.

I dont know what pound injectors they are but they are the stock Bosch injectors for CLK55 p/n 0-280-155-074 The new SLR injectors are Bosch as well p/n 0-280-156-148 I wrote up some info here https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ctor-data.html

Yea they were maxed out off the bottle. The good thing about the nitrous setup is that it was a wet shot so I dont rely on the injectors to add more fuel but the fuel pump.

I have the Kleemann FPR but I wanted to upgrade injectors to leave room for possible future mods
Old 05-01-2009, 01:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
It was nearing 100% injector duty cycle so Wayne backed off on the fueling to avoid static condition and the car uns a bit lean up top now. Replacing the injectors should fix that.

I dont know what pound injectors they are but they are the stock Bosch injectors for CLK55 p/n 0-280-155-074 The new SLR injectors are Bosch as well p/n 0-280-156-148 I wrote up some info here https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ctor-data.html

Yea they were maxed out off the bottle. The good thing about the nitrous setup is that it was a wet shot so I dont rely on the injectors to add more fuel but the fuel pump.

I have the Kleemann FPR but I wanted to upgrade injectors to leave room for possible future mods
Kenne Bell Boost-A_Pump! Check it out!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Kenne Bell Boost-A_Pump! Check it out!
I'm going to leave the pump alone for now but if I need more fuel in the future I will look into it.

What is the usual labor cost for swapping throttle bodies on the 55k cars?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:44 PM

07 BMW X5

Where did you purchase the 82tb and for how much if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
I'm going to leave the pump alone for now but if I need more fuel in the future I will look into it.

What is the usual labor cost for swapping throttle bodies on the 55k cars?
Throttle body, housing and the other goodies is ~4 hours to be safe.

The Boost-A-Pump manipulates the signal(voltage) to the fuel pump and increases the voltage to it so it will increase the volume/pressure. It is a very well proven product. Check it out bro!

Of course if your injectors are too small then you are out of luck!
Old 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by blueknight
Where did you purchase the 82tb and for how much if you don't mind me asking?
pm sent
Throttle body, housing and the other goodies is ~4 hours to be safe.

The Boost-A-Pump manipulates the signal(voltage) to the fuel pump and increases the voltage to it so it will increase the volume/pressure. It is a very well proven product. Check it out bro!

Of course if your injectors are too small then you are out of luck!
Its only 4 hours to take off the supercharger and put it back on?

I'm pretty sure the injectors will be more than enough for now
Old 05-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I will second Boost-a-pump. Used them before on my cars with great results.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Vadim @ FD
I will second Boost-a-pump. Used them before on my cars with great results.
Thanks Vadim.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:44 AM

are the fuel pumps modulated?

Why not increase the fuel pressure and decrease the duty cycle running the same injector?
Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by RHecox
Why not increase the fuel pressure and decrease the duty cycle running the same injector?
An M112K (SRT-6) took this exact approach recently, with outstanding results - after the stock fuel system was insufficient to handle the boost he was making (AFR's ran up to 15:1 @ 6k rpm prior to this mod). BTW, was tuned by LET... so Wayne might be able to offer observations on why this may (or may not) be a better approach for M112 and M113 cars facing fueling problems.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by RHecox
are the fuel pumps modulated?

I have a fuel pressure regulator. I could turn up the fuel pressure but I want to have room for possible future mods as well.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Cool!

Of what? When the TB is installed on my car you can't even see it. It is tucked under the supercharger. It is different than the factory 55k cars. I will take plenty of pics when we are doing the first 55k car. There is a BIG difference between stock and the 82mm. I dont understand what the eyerolling is for. Do you think I'm lying?
No dude!!!! I put it as to say I am looking forward to seeing how it looks! I don't think you are lying at all!!!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by aleksandar1099
No dude!!!! I put it as to say I am looking forward to seeing how it looks! I don't think you are lying at all!!!
Gotcha! Well here is a cell phone comparison between stock TB and 82mm TB side by side. Sorry for the crappy quality. The stock TB opening actually fits INSIDE the 82mm opening lol. I bought a new sc inlet and getting an adapter machined by a CNC machine out of billet aluminum and welded onto the inlet. Stay tuned

Attached Thumbnails 82mm TB Question-tb.jpg  
Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

none
Is the 4 bolt mounting pattern the same spec as the stock 76ish mm TB??

This is an MB part correct?
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Is the 4 bolt mounting pattern the same spec as the stock 76ish mm TB??

This is an MB part correct?
Stock is more like 74mm ID. Bolt pattern is the same but they are spaced further out due to the larger TB. It will not bolt onto the stock inlet without an adapter being made.

Yes it is an OEM MB part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 82mm TB Question