W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kleemann E55 AMG by TTMotorsports

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by bweil26
do u need headers or can u just go ahead and get the Kleemann kit that only has the pulley, filter and ECU?
and how much BHP will it bring me too if I do only that?
Thanks so much.

The headers/cat delete really makes the whole package come together.

Up to ~550chp/~555ctq according to Kleemann with the K1 but I have a couple of in-house mods that I do to the AMG55's that make gains even greater.

Last edited by TTMotorsports; 05-23-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
This is probably a newb type question, but how the F does this car pass state emissions/smog tests with no cats? Are the emissions running cleaner (enough to get a legit passing cert?) after the aftermarket tune, or is emissions just something you can overlook in your state?

In California they get very strict about test-only shops and it can be tough to circumvent the system if you have a dirty exhaust car.

Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by mugatu22
This is probably a newb type question, but how the F does this car pass state emissions/smog tests with no cats? Are the emissions running cleaner (enough to get a legit passing cert?) after the aftermarket tune, or is emissions just something you can overlook in your state?

In California they get very strict about test-only shops and it can be tough to circumvent the system if you have a dirty exhaust car.

Thanks
Depends on how they test - it probably would not pass a tailpipe sniffer test (are secondary cats still in place, or have they been removed too?), but if it's just an OBDII check, allegedly Kleemann's software can fool the sensors into reporting that everything is A-OK.

As you mention - some states don't even bother to have ongoing emissions testing, but I'd hazard a guess that CA has some Kleemann customers driving around... so I'm not sure how it's worked around.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!

Thanks
Actually it a great question.

In NYS OBDII cars are tested/read through the OBDII port inside the vehicle and they look at the readiness of the on-board tests that all vehicles run through when the car is running. As long as the testing facility sees that ALL on-board tests are functioning properly it passes the emission part of the inspection process. If the testing facility would see that there are NO CATS in the car then they will fail the vehicle unless you know people.

The most common way to circumvent the emission on-board tests when you have no cats is the put in O2 simulators or go into the ECU/file and shut off the rear O2's. That is what Kleemann does to correct for the CEL when you install certain headers and run no cats.

SO that is how we F'in get these vehicles to pass! LOL

PS Usually with a performance file the vehicle is running leaner and much more efficiently so the emissions are much lower than the OEM file.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Depends on how they test - it probably would not pass a tailpipe sniffer test (are secondary cats still in place, or have they been removed too?), but if it's just an OBDII check, allegedly Kleemann's software can fool the sensors into reporting that everything is A-OK.

As you mention - some states don't even bother to have ongoing emissions testing, but I'd hazard a guess that CA has some Kleemann customers driving around... so I'm not sure how it's worked around.
It is a very common practice when you have long tube headers and/or no cats to shut down the rear O2's and that is exactly what Kleemann does!

It just finding it in the software that's the tough part!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
It is a very common practice when you have long tube headers and/or no cats to shut down the rear O2's and that is exactly what Kleemann does!

It just finding it in the software that's the tough part!
Old 05-24-2009, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
TTM--right on, I understand the OBDII check and how that could work.

Since I live in CA and they do a tailpipe sniffer test, how does a cat-delete car pass emissions? The testing shops run at idle, and under load.

I also get that a performance ECU profile will run leaner with less unburned gas in the exhaust...just don't know if it's lean enough.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Finally (sorry for all the q's), what type of performance difference would you look at between a E55 or E63 w/headers/ECU/exhaust/no cats and one with all those mods but WITH cats? Are they that restrictive on the AMGs or is the cat-delete a lower-percentage gain that's more "icing on the cake" than a huuuge gain? I would expect it to make a decent difference (gotta get all that exhaust movin') but not as much of a difference as stock vs ECU/headers/exhaust work.

Obviously I'm interested in getting some of this done to a car in the future
Old 05-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
TTM--right on, I understand the OBDII check and how that could work.

Since I live in CA and they do a tailpipe sniffer test, how does a cat-delete car pass emissions? The testing shops run at idle, and under load.

I also get that a performance ECU profile will run leaner with less unburned gas in the exhaust...just don't know if it's lean enough.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Finally (sorry for all the q's), what type of performance difference would you look at between a E55 or E63 w/headers/ECU/exhaust/no cats and one with all those mods but WITH cats? Are they that restrictive on the AMGs or is the cat-delete a lower-percentage gain that's more "icing on the cake" than a huuuge gain? I would expect it to make a decent difference (gotta get all that exhaust movin') but not as much of a difference as stock vs ECU/headers/exhaust work.

Obviously I'm interested in getting some of this done to a car in the future
I can't speak for every tuner's software but if the file isn't overly aggressive with the fueling and the A/F ratios are a safe but lean tune then it shouldn't be a problem but that is somewhat speculative on my part because every state is different and every tuner's file is different to a certain degree.

Some software actually uses the fuel to help cool the cylinder so that would probably be too rich and I believe that when it is sniffing the tailpipe they are looking for the maximum emission value hit no matter where in the RPM range it happened.

FI cars need as little back pressure as possible where as NA cars need the pressure to a certain degree. It really comes down to how you drive, track, strip or road course and what other mods you have and of course whether it is a NA or FI car.

Cats are VERY restrictive especially on a FI car but you can still make tremendous gains even leaving the cats in the car for emission/state regulation ans inspection purposes.

Unless you know someone that can pass your car.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S

PS Did I ever tell you I love your avatars?
Let us know how it does with the DR's, and yes you told me. How do you like this one?
Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Let us know how it does with the DR's, and yes you told me. How do you like this one?
I am not a fan of blondes, even though I am one, but for her I'll make an exception.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
I am not a fan of blondes, even though I am one, but for her I'll make an exception.
I'm not really one myself either but I know that there are members that love blondes so every now and then I'll post up a blonde.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 AM

w211 E500
Cool

This Car MOVES!!
Old 06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by shardul
In what RPM range do the Kleeman headers add power or is the difference felt throughout the power band.
+1 ?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
what is the price on a quaiffe diff and install?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by stevebez
+1 ?
Linear throughout the powerband.

It is very consistent.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
what is the price on a quaiffe diff and install?
PM sent.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
with the headers on is it much louder inside the cabin?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by beauphus
with the headers on is it much louder inside the cabin?
There is very little increase in cabin noise but you can definitely hear a much nicer note while driving!
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
CLS55 AMG
what did this car end up running at the track?