W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Luxury Motors in Chicago... any experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Luxury Motors in Chicago... any experience?

Considering a car at Luxury Motors in Chicago/O'Hare.

Any members here have any experience - good/bad? I'm talking about the whole process (car quality, honesty, attitude, etc. etc. etc.).

Are they completely honest or do they usually hide something bad? Simply buying a wrecked/badly maintained car and just recondition it?

IIRC, I think they don't have good reputation... but I could be wrong.

May need some help from a forum member living nearby that place who could take a look at it for me.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
Originally Posted by zoink
Considering a car at Luxury Motors in Chicago/O'Hare.

Any members here have any experience - good/bad? I'm talking about the whole process (car quality, honesty, attitude, etc. etc. etc.).

Are they completely honest or do they usually hide something bad? Simply buying a wrecked/badly maintained car and just recondition it?

IIRC, I think they don't have good reputation... but I could be wrong.

May need some help from a forum member living nearby that place who could take a look at it for me.

Thanks.
How much are they showing you on trade for your 89 Tercel?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
Originally Posted by Busta Riles

Ha! Nice

Joking aside I think they are very shady. I bought my car about 3 years ago in Downers Grove. The car had damage from the harmonic balancer recall that was cleaned up. They cleaned the pan up nice and the leak showed up about 2 weeks later. I live in NH so it was a nightmare and proved less expensive and time consuming for me to fix it. Place sucks.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:04 PM

S211 AMG
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ry-motors.html
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
Ha! Nice

Joking aside I think they are very shady. I bought my car about 3 years ago in Downers Grove. The car had damage from the harmonic balancer recall that was cleaned up. They cleaned the pan up nice and the leak showed up about 2 weeks later. I live in NH so it was a nightmare and proved less expensive and time consuming for me to fix it. Place sucks.
Early this Spring they were bought out by the Ogden Group,a very reputable company that also owns Lamborghini of Westmont.
"Mafia" types that used to roam "Luxury" showrooms are gone.....
Old 05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by absent
Early this Spring they were bought out by the Ogden Group,a very reputable company that also owns Lamborghini of Westmont.
I read about the buyout but have not had the chance to stop by the showroom to see if the old Palestinian Mafia still remains. I know Ogden Group is definitely a whole different ballgame than the guys who were involved there before, but they have quite a tarnished reputation to fix.

-m
Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Busta Riles
$100K... don't you know it's a rare exotic now?

Don't insult my $1K car that had no A/C, no power steering, no power window, no radio, no nothing but landed me my first job (even w/ all the sweats underneath the suit ) which eventually has brought me here and made me able to afford E55.

So does this mean that they're good and honest now? I see some of you guys are in Chicago... mind checking the car out for me?
Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
So does this mean that they're good and honest now? I see some of you guys are in Chicago... mind checking the car out for me?
Is it at the O'hare warehouse or the Ogden location? If it's at the Ogden location I'll be happy to take a look. I live literally a block away(around the corner) and can walk there in about a minute.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure... it says Chicago O'Hare... not the Downers Grove one.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Not sure... it says Chicago O'Hare... not the Downers Grove one.
Yeah, that's the O'Hare warehouse location. I don't know about the new management, but the old management/sales team was awful. At my old job we dealt with the DG location a lot, and it was full of idiots. Definitely "mafiaesque", no doubt. I also don't understand how they ever sold a $300K Bentley with blaring techno music playing in the showroom. It wasn't even good techno, just blaring "DJ this is my first mixtape" garbage.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:37 PM

2008 SLK, 2006 Cadillac SRX, 1994 Cutlass Supreme Convertible
I agree that the music was ridiculous. I purchased a 2004 SL55 and a 2007 E63 wagon and both were fine. They are not super detailers, but their prices were the lowest around for like vehicles. I had more problems with the idiots at Mercedes Benz of Orland Park. They couldn't perform a warranty repair correctly the first time if their lives depended on it.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahhhh.... confused... confused.

Anyway, if anyone from there has time to check the car out this weekend, that'll be great.

Marcus, not mean to put you in corner... but you seem to be the best person who could help me The car I'm interested in is GL320. And you have GL320 also so you would really know a well maintained GL320 should be... plus I see from your cars that you're very picky w/ your cars... that's another plus point If you have time this weekend, that'll be great... if not, that's fine.

blkamgsl55, are they willing to negotiate the price? If so, how much?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
zoink,

If you've talked to a sales guy there I could possibly stop by on Saturday and give it a quick look over. I would suggest pulling the service history and make sure all of that is squared away. FWIW, I recently saw this totally stock nicely loaded CLK63 cab for sale at a local dealership... great price... but it had STATUS 8. I never actually looked at the car, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Drop me a PM. I can't make any promises, but I am more than happy to do what I can.

-m
Old 05-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
If you email me the vin #, I can do a quick check for you.

Nick
Old 05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
zoink,

If you've talked to a sales guy there I could possibly stop by on Saturday and give it a quick look over. I would suggest pulling the service history and make sure all of that is squared away. FWIW, I recently saw this totally stock nicely loaded CLK63 cab for sale at a local dealership... great price... but it had STATUS 8. I never actually looked at the car, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Drop me a PM. I can't make any promises, but I am more than happy to do what I can.

-m
MB slaps STATUS 8 routinely on cars they find out were modified in any way.
Happened to me on my SL65, for having Kleemann ECU and LSD.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
MB slaps STATUS 8 routinely on cars they find out were modified in any way.
Happened to me on my SL65, for having Kleemann ECU and LSD.
Not if you know the right technicians

However, status 8 is also given to totaled cars, flood damaged cars, tracked cars, etc - not just modified ones.

-m
Old 05-15-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Marcus & Nick,

Check your PM.... thanks buddies!
Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Not if you know the right technicians

However, status 8 is also given to totaled cars, flood damaged cars, tracked cars, etc - not just modified ones.

-m
Mine was a real "special" story.
Car was modded by MB dealer and was in service so many times for unrelated issue (heavy swaying during acceleration) that MB send their own technician to look it up.
A new SA started baubling about Kleemann mods in the car and that did it.
It was my 7th AMG from that dealer,all were modified by the same dealer with either Renntech or Kleemann and I never had any issues.
Well,except the blown engine in my '03 E55 at 600miles but that is another story
Old 05-15-2009, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
I had a good experience buying an E55 from them at the end of '06.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
It all depends on doing your homework. It's not the type of dealer that you can "trust". They have good cars and bad cars, now it takes some pain to find out the truth. New owner or not, they will lie to you about condition, service history, and paint work. Read over the carfax with a magnifying glass and call the previous owner. Books and keys will be missing. Be sure and ask all the obvious questions. Notice if the tires all match. They will let you take the car to the dealer of your choice, don't go to the dealer they choose. There are many horror stories, just read the threads linked in above. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, points taken.

I've never bought any cars sight unseen... so am a bit nervous about this

The car was previously at a mitsubishi dealer in FL about 2 months ago. The asking price was a lot higher than this. I'm not worried w/ mechanical since 1) it's diesel (MB is known for its bulletproof diesel engine); 2) it's low mileage (I know I know it doesn't guarantee); 3) it's still under warranty.

I'm more worried about the exterior & interior.... any body work, prior accident, etc. From the pics, they look good (but pics can't reveal any minor imperfections). The only thing is that the interior looks a bit dirty... especially considering very low mileage. So I'm hoping it's not a flood damage car that got away w/ clear title. Carfax and VMI look very good, though. So we'll see... I'm trusting our forum members here to have very good eyes and instinct The rest, I'll let the fate decide
Old 05-17-2009, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
http://www.dealerrater.com/dealer/Lu...-review-19347/

Have a PPI done on the car....

I have bought a car from them (not because price was cheap - because it had the right options for me/the only color i wanted/plus was close to me) --
And I did plenty of research on the car beforehand, it ended up being fine.....
Old 05-17-2009, 11:39 AM

07 Z06, 08 Rover Sport, 03 Dmax, 13 Diavel
i was looking at the E63 they have for sale. its been there for a while. they dropped the price on it a lil too. I called and talked with a Sam, he was pretty cool. I have heard that they have fair, aggressive prices, but they can jack u on reconditioning costs if they car needs anything. so a 48K car just turned into 51, and thats how they make the money.

they have a huge selection though! i have not heard anything bad exactly.. but do they homework and i think ur on the right track, have someone here go look at it!!

Good luck man!
Aj
Old 05-20-2009, 04:08 PM

E55
not sure about recent business habits, but they have a horrible reputation for quality. Many have said there cars are typically lemon "buybacks" from MB or BMW direct that is why they offer prices often too good to be true. Hopefully after all the BBB complaints they have changed business habits. I know many that purchased vehicles from there that were nightmares, and a few others were fine. One was an M3 that the tranny seized within 1 week. The other was 2 year old E63 and it popped a piston (don't ask how) but I would def do my homework before purchasing from LM.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Even if they were "Lemon Buybacks," shouldn't the warranty still be in effect? I was looking a a couple of C63s they have in the Vegas store recently. CarFax just shows they were bought at an auction.

Last edited by Sincity; 05-20-2009 at 05:55 PM.