Sponsored by:

Long tube headers...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Isn't the fastest SL in the country running long tubes?

Mo, whats up brotha? Yeah about the headers, long story short, I paid Vadim to build me a set of "Long Tube" headers, but at the end of the day I ended up with "mid tube" looking headers. Vadim did tell me he had to make them a little shorter but I had no idea how much until it was completed and picked up my car from his shop some 2+ months later.

Vadim pretty much told me the same thing that he has told to Havoc and what Havoc is now posting. Are my headers true "Long Tube" headers? No, but since Vadim always referred to my headers as LT's, I ended up doing the same.

Originally Posted by Zod
yes from what i recall it has them, but they are custom. I also recall reading that the car had weight saving, driver seats taken out etc.

I feel if you do such things you have to state them, other wise people think you are just running it with the mods you list and that it...

Sorry, didnt mean to hurt your feelings...

Originally Posted by Havoc
Below is the picture of URnext’s headers and exhaust. As you can see, they are not true long tube headers, but rather mid sized headers. Vadim explained that this is the longest he can make them for the SL without having clearance issues. The added benefit of their mid size is that they will produce more high end torque where we need it and less low end torque which we already have plenty of.

You are correct. In the picture below you can see how there is no room for the collector and if you manage to fit one in there you will have clearance issues. The chassis and floorboard of the SL is very different than that of the E55 which can accommodate some true long tube headers.

It depends what you call Long Tube??

I haven't found an SL with "True" long tube headers, but if one of you guys do know of one then please pm me. Thanks!!

Thanks Havoc for posting the pics for me, it saved me a lot of time since I have been really busy with work to take the time to find them and post them in this thread like I said was going to do.

Next time if I need some photos posted, I'll be sure to pm you so I can have you post them for me.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Sal, I made them as long as possible. Two fronts on each side are the same as E55, the two backs are only several inches shorter. If you make them the same - collectors are too low and car scrapes on every pothole. The other option was to dent the floor, but I do not think that is feasible.

In the end the power difference is very small.

Sal, let me know how you are doing on the cams. I still owe you a tune.

Last edited by Vadim @ FD; 05-26-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Havoc,

Chris from Floored Fab is looking for a SL to build a set of headers. He would probably need the car for a month or so to fabricate. There are many people here who would love to have the first set but not at the cost of giving their car up for that period of time. Would you be interested? It would be fully customized and if SL's can have a true LT I'm sure Chris could make it happen. PM me if interested and I could pass on his contact info.
I may be interested in this...still haven't heard from Chris yet but when I do I'll talk to him about it; timing is everything with this project it seems with the distance and downtime issues
Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by OXOJE55
Alan,

ALL SET TO GOOO
Me too!!!

Let's get it done this week!
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Leaving to pickup my car Thursday morning LONG TUBES HERE I COME
Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Leaving to pickup my car Thursday morning LONG TUBES HERE I COME
Is Arizona the place to be if you want headers or what....!!!!

Cant' wait to see the results Rick and make damn sure you keep us posted.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Sunir
Hovoc...who made your setup, was it Vadim as well? So I am assuming you and Sal (URnext) have the same exact setup, which is a midsize header instead of a longtube? If that's not correct can you post a pic of yours or pm me so I can see?

I was under the impression that LT's could be run on the SL55, Chris seems to believe they can. At one point VRP had "LT" headers for the SL, were these really midsizes as well? Who fabricated VRP's headers/exhasut setups...did they source them from somewhere or did they actually measure, cut, design and weld everything in house at their shop (I am assuming at Vadim's shop)?

thanks for the input bro I'm trying to learn more so I can sort this mod out and do it right the first time around....
Yes, Vadim will be building my headers and exhaust. He has not built them yet because we are waiting for my engine to arrive from Canada first. URnext and I will have the same headers, but I’m not going with an H or X-pipe. I plan on using straight pipes that do not connect to give me that old hot rod sound.

All headers I’ve seen built for the SL were some sort of a mid sized header. Because there is such of a small area and tight bend where the collector would be, the collector would have to be built very small and probably so restrictive that the long tubes would not be as beneficial compared to the mid sized headers with bigger collectors.

Look, I’m trying to build the ultimate 55K for my SL and Vadim knows I’m willing to go all out and be a guinea pig in creating my parts. I trust Vadim’s judgment and when he said that this is the best performance wise that he can build without modifying the body, which I don’t want to do, then I left it at that. I saw the small area we have underneath our SL’s and I agree with him.

If I were you I would have Vadim build your headers since he has already explored that avenue.

Good luck with whomever you choose and keep us posted!
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Havoc
Yes, Vadim will be building my headers and exhaust. He has not built them yet because we are waiting for my engine to arrive from Canada first. URnext and I will have the same headers, but I’m not going with an H or X-pipe. I plan on using straight pipes that do not connect to give me that old hot rod sound.

All headers I’ve seen built for the SL were some sort of a mid sized header. Because there is such of a small area and tight bend where the collector would be, the collector would have to be built very small and probably so restrictive that the long tubes would not be as beneficial compared to the mid sized headers with bigger collectors.

Look, I’m trying to build the ultimate 55K for my SL and Vadim knows I’m willing to go all out and be a guinea pig in creating my parts. I trust Vadim’s judgment and when he said that this is the best performance wise that he can build without modifying the body, which I don’t want to do, then I left it at that. I saw the small area we have underneath our SL’s and I agree with him.

If I were you I would have Vadim build your headers since he has already explored that avenue.

Good luck with whomever you choose and keep us posted!
Sounds good...definately keep me posted also; I'm interested to see what Vadim does for you. I'd like to go custom headers (best ones possible for SL55, be it LT or close to it) followed by x-pipe, single pair of HF cats, and upgrade the rear mufflers to a HF version, deleting the resonators along the way; I'm planning on 3" tubing for the exhaust, is that what you are doing also?
Old 05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Originally Posted by Sunir
Sounds good...definately keep me posted also; I'm interested to see what Vadim does for you. I'd like to go custom headers (best ones possible for SL55, be it LT or close to it) followed by x-pipe, single pair of HF cats, and upgrade the rear mufflers to a HF version, deleting the resonators along the way; I'm planning on 3" tubing for the exhaust, is that what you are doing also?
I'm going for the loudest and most free flowing custom exhaust possible.
FEDOR DEZYN headers with 3" straight pipes, no cats, no x-pipe, and no resonators, exiting out of gutted stock AMG mufflers!
Now that should be loud enough!
Old 05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Here are some pics of what My fabricator does. He is the former head fabricator for Billy Boat exhaust, And even makes headers for IRL racing teams.

He is currently designing a full on exhaust system long tubes and all for the C55. I can makes other models too if you want.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:06 PM

SL55 AMG
So Alan, did you get all the members needed for the group buy for LT's with Floored Fab?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I only got 2 but I will be placing the order regardless on Friday. I'm hoping someone else will tag along but if not...no biggie.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Banned

07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by URnext
So Alan, did you get all the members needed for the group buy for LT's with Floored Fab?
Yep we are good to go, whens the next rack event? we need to get everyones car back out there... i want to see alan and ricks new numbers with the LT's
Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG

Cn't wait to hear and see the hp gains
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
Yep we are good to go, whens the next rack event? we need to get everyones car back out there... i want to see alan and ricks new numbers with the LT's
Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by James@ACGSD
Me too...hopefully I get my tune worked out by then. I'm hoping to see better numbers this year but you never know.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
Here are some pics of what My fabricator does. He is the former head fabricator for Billy Boat exhaust, And even makes headers for IRL racing teams.

He is currently designing a full on exhaust system long tubes and all for the C55. I can makes other models too if you want.

Looks like really nice work...where is this guy located?
Old 08-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Long tubes

Hey any detailed pics of the long tubes on a e55 ? I was going to get the let ones wat u guys think !!!
Old 09-01-2009, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Yo Alan...you got your headers and tune last week, right? Am I missing a thread on this? I only ask as I just dropped my car off with Chris and we were "chatting"...
Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Yo Alan...you got your headers and tune last week, right? Am I missing a thread on this? I only ask as I just dropped my car off with Chris and we were "chatting"...
Hey Karl, headers and tune was done last week and the results were great but there's still some tuning left to be done. I still had some great gains down low and up top. I'm having a idle issue that's throwing P0300 Random cylinder misfire. I'm taking it in today to have it scanned and adding new plugs (NGKLFR7AIX one step colder) and new Bosch plug wires. I don't post my dyno numbers anymore but the results were definitely great with more left in her. The heat at the shop was just too much to get a dialed in tune...IMO.

Thinking about getting the LT's from Chris? Chris is a great guys with a ton of knowledge and I would highly recommend him to anyone. His headers make a ton of torque with a nice power band up top.

Last edited by bassn_07; 09-01-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Talking

Hey Karl, headers and tune was done last week and the results were great but there's still some tuning left to be done. I still had some great gains down low and up top. I'm having a idle issue that's throwing P0300 Random cylinder misfire. I'm taking it in today to have it scanned and adding new plugs (NGKLFR7AIX one step colder) and new Bosch plug wires. I don't post my dyno numbers anymore but the results were definitely great with more left in her. The heat at the shop was just too much to get a dialed in tune...IMO.

Thinking about getting the LT's from Chris? Chris is a great guys with a ton of knowledge and I would highly recommend him to anyone. His headers make a ton of torque with a nice power band up top.
Every time I stop by Chris's place I think about the long tubes headers!

Seriously though, I'll probably pull the trigger after the fiscal year is over for us (after 9/30) and I'll go with Chris. He has been a pleasure to deal with and is upfront and honest (even to the point of pointing me in the direction of the stealer thinking an issue I was having was covered under warranty, which it was, instead of him doing the work at a cost to me).
Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Every time I stop by Chris's place I think about the long tubes headers!

Seriously though, I'll probably pull the trigger after the fiscal year is over for us (after 9/30) and I'll go with Chris. He has been a pleasure to deal with and is upfront and honest (even to the point of pointing me in the direction of the stealer thinking an issue I was having was covered under warranty, which it was, instead of him doing the work at a cost to me).
. Just do it Karl.

Chirs is a very honest hard working man that puts his customers before himself. This kind of customer service can't be taught, it needs to be within. My biggest concern was cabin noise, and as Chris promised....very quiet. It's so quiet I might even go with straight pipes . I don't get the obnoxious gurgling noise that happens when slowing down from a hard acceleration.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
. Just do it Karl.

Chirs is a very honest hard working man that puts his customers before himself. This kind of customer service can't be taught, it needs to be within. My biggest concern was cabin noise, and as Chris promised....very quiet. It's so quiet I might even go with straight pipes . I don't get the obnoxious gurgling noise that happens when slowing down from a hard acceleration.
+1 he is very honest and straight up. I thought i would get my headers on 1st I was gonna email you and let you know what I thought, but had some set backs
Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG

Def good news bro! glad to see things worked out in your favor ... PM me Chris' number I'd like to call him about doing LT headers for my SL55 maybe with a midpipe section as well with a pair of HF 200cel cats....

Glad everything is coming together for you...we'll chat soon...
Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Hey guys,

Lately I've been getting a ton of inquires about Floored Fab headers and I thought I would revive this thread. I know Chris has been a very busy man but I'm sure if enough members got together he might be able help out. Plain and simple, my headers perform awesome and my car is performing better than I would have ever thought. A big thanks to Chris !!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
chris at floored fab is DEFINITELY the guy to go to if you're in the market for 55k long tube headers. it speaks volumes when he doesn't have to come around and brag about his work yet his custom products can be found on most of the fastest 55's in the world! it's also refreshing to work with someone as honest as he is and in the revalation of the true cause of the problems my car recently went through, he's still never said an unkind word about any other tuner's work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers...