W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What finish should I get?
Glossy black with silver pinstripe
19.44%
Glossy black without pinstripe
44.44%
Keep the HREs, even if it means more headaches driving daily!!!
30.56%
Get some different wheels (post your suggestion. Price point is $1,499)
5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel opinion: What I'm getting after the HRE....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
Wheel opinion: What I'm getting after the HRE....

After years or driving on multipiece wheels, oversized wheels, tires with small sidewalls, I've decided to downsize to 19's and to go with a one piece design. I've had in my years some issues with multipiece wheels, primarly bent barrels. While the forged wheels (HRE, iForged, DPE etc) have a forged center, the barrel is soft and not that great.

I for one dislike cast wheel in that they are heavy. They are rather solid in comparison to the soft aluminum barrels found on high priced multipiece getups, but they aren't my cup of tea.

So yeah, bye bye big lips, bye bye multipiece, see ya having to avoid every potholes like they are the plague, and no more pulling over to see if I bent a rim or not.

After looking at my options, a friend of mine and employee of iForged/DTM Kreuz told me about a new company they started called Forgestar. Their claim is that they make the wheels following a "flow formed" process, which is utilized by BBS and Einkei. Cool. Good enough for me. It's 15% lighter than cast and not suseptible to barrels bending like crazy.

The nice thing about the Forgestars is that they are custom made, so you can get your custom offset and finish.

Keep in mind my car is a DD, so I need to think about practicality, and as much as I love my HRE's, I'm letting them go.

So now I have found out about Forgestar, I picked the F14 model. They only have two models at this time, but the other one doesn't do it for me at all.

I'm doing the glossy black finish, but I am debating whether or not to do a silver "time attack" pin stripe to kinda bring contrast like my HREs had, but I'm not sure. I don't know if going all black is smart either. So I need your opinion. Here are a few pics.

with pinstripe (white), on glossy black

And just to see what these wheels look like on a higher end ride:

Their website: www.forgestar.com

So, what do I do???
Old 06-07-2009, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
I personally like the pin stripe - have the same thing on my bike (red pinstripe though): my suggestion would be to go on ebay and get the pinstripe in the both the color and width that you want - put them on the wheels and see if you like them - if you don't you can always take it off - if you do - you can find a more permanent solution (paint etc) - they cost around ten dollars for a set.

Here's a pic of the 10.00 pinstrips that I just posted in another thread. . .

Good luck
Old 06-07-2009, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CLS550 & 05 E55
Your a freaking "Idiot" lol! j/k man. Anyway when you came by the shop the other day I seen you sleading in your car looks hard yo. I would not change a thing about it. If anything find yourself a KIA and give it the GodFather tune and drive it. Either way whatever you do I'm sure you will always top the previous I think you have one of my favorite E's I have seen but I'm still faster.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
damn those look hot!!!! what kind of pricing are they for 19's? Same reasons as you stated above is why i have been so hesitant to upgrade. I am itching to pull the trigger on some 19's and those look really really good
Old 06-08-2009, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by allied107
Your a freaking "Idiot" lol! j/k man. Anyway when you came by the shop the other day I seen you sleading in your car looks hard yo. I would not change a thing about it. If anything find yourself a KIA and give it the GodFather tune and drive it. Either way whatever you do I'm sure you will always top the previous I think you have one of my favorite E's I have seen but I'm still faster.
LOL I know Mo, I should just get a daily driver, but nah I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Forgestars. I'll get something else down the road as I always do anyway

Originally Posted by baldmike73
damn those look hot!!!! what kind of pricing are they for 19's? Same reasons as you stated above is why i have been so hesitant to upgrade. I am itching to pull the trigger on some 19's and those look really really good
Mike, the wheels retail for $1,499 for a set plus shipping. I should be able to hook you up, especially if you get them at the same time as me (in a week or two).
Old 06-08-2009, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by motorkas
I personally like the pin stripe - have the same thing on my bike (red pinstripe though): my suggestion would be to go on ebay and get the pinstripe in the both the color and width that you want - put them on the wheels and see if you like them - if you don't you can always take it off - if you do - you can find a more permanent solution (paint etc) - they cost around ten dollars for a set.

Here's a pic of the 10.00 pinstrips that I just posted in another thread. . .

Good luck
you know, I did think about getting them normal and then do the pinstriping myself in case I didn't like it, but I don't know....
Old 06-08-2009, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by The Godfather
After years or driving on multipiece wheels, oversized wheels, tires with small sidewalls, I've decided to downsize to 19's and to go with a one piece design. I've had in my years some issues with multipiece wheels, primarly bent barrels. While the forged wheels (HRE, iForged, DPE etc) have a forged center, the barrel is soft and not that great.

I for one dislike cast wheel in that they are heavy. They are rather solid in comparison to the soft aluminum barrels found on high priced multipiece getups, but they aren't my cup of tea.

So yeah, bye bye big lips, bye bye multipiece, see ya having to avoid every potholes like they are the plague, and no more pulling over to see if I bent a rim or not.

After looking at my options, a friend of mine and employee of iForged/DTM Kreuz told me about a new company they started called Forgestar. Their claim is that they make the wheels following a "flow formed" process, which is utilized by BBS and Einkei. Cool. Good enough for me. It's 15% lighter than cast and not suseptible to barrels bending like crazy.

The nice thing about the Forgestars is that they are custom made, so you can get your custom offset and finish.

Keep in mind my car is a DD, so I need to think about practicality, and as much as I love my HRE's, I'm letting them go.

So now I have found out about Forgestar, I picked the F14 model. They only have two models at this time, but the other one doesn't do it for me at all.

I'm doing the glossy black finish, but I am debating whether or not to do a silver "time attack" pin stripe to kinda bring contrast like my HREs had, but I'm not sure. I don't know if going all black is smart either. So I need your opinion. Here are a few pics.
I would personally stay the hell away from anything IForged related....just my 2 cents...I'd definitely pay a lil more and have peace of mind later down the road...

Originally Posted by motorkas

Good luck
That is one hot bike!
Old 06-08-2009, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
what's wrong with iforged? Any first hand experience with them? I've hard 4 or 5 sets with absolutely no issues.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
what's wrong with iforged? Any first hand experience with them? I've hard 4 or 5 sets with absolutely no issues.
Not me personally cause I would NEVER buy from them, but I have MANY friends that have bought from them and have HORRIBLE stories...
Old 06-08-2009, 03:46 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Why not black HRE M40's with $10 pinstripes(to see if you're feelin' it)?
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by vtecsti
Why not black HRE M40's with $10 pinstripes(to see if you're feelin' it)?
Because the M40 would be much more expensive and while I love the M40's, I can't justify this.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 AM

2004 E55 AMG
Because the M40 would be much more expensive and while I love the M40's, I can't justify this.
I understand completely. The Forgestars would look great, but for some reason I can't get past the center caps.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by vtecsti
I understand completely. The Forgestars would look great, but for some reason I can't get past the center caps.
yeah they're not that great.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
Did you go to the show at Sea Side Park? Call me.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by BENZGal
Did you go to the show at Sea Side Park? Call me.
What show? No I haven't. I just took the HRE's off the car. My hands are filthy. It's a ***** to do with the OEM jack lol.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Wheels have been ordered in glossy black and w/o pinstripe. HRE's have been sold yesterday. I hope I'll have the wheels FRiday or Saturday and should be on either Saturday or Monday. w00t!
Old 06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I like the way these look - a LOT (except for the center caps - way too busy and colorful). Congrats on the purchase.

BTW - $1,500 for the entire set? That sounds like a great buy for a custom-spec'd, forged wheel.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
I like the way these look - a LOT (except for the center caps - way too busy and colorful). Congrats on the purchase.

BTW - $1,500 for the entire set? That sounds like a great buy for a custom-spec'd, forged wheel.
+1
Old 06-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM

Just a point of clarification, FORGESTAR Wheels are Flow-Formed, which is a casting process. Its a process that yields a lighter, stronger cast wheel.

The fact that their wheels are load rated up to 1400-1500lbs speaks volumes to their quality, as load rating is granted by a unbiased 3rd party company.

For the money, or even independent of cost effectiveness, the FORGESTAR product is undeniable.

Here's more info on the Flow Forming process:

FLOW-FORMING

Forgestar's flowforming process is a unique solution to a common problem – how to make a wheel both light and strong.

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
We are authorized dealers of FORGESTAR wheels BTW, feel free to contact us for a quote.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 (for sale if the right offer comes along)...too many others to list
What show? No I haven't. I just took the HRE's off the car. My hands are filthy. It's a ***** to do with the OEM jack lol.
I thought it was last weekend, it might be this weekend?
I feel your pain on the HRE's!!!!!! There are tons of pot holes in the Tri-Counties, the 126 FWY being the worst. I have replaced my barrels twice and have had the lips repaired a couple of times. Not much you can do with low profile tires and potholes that swallow your whole wheel.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Those forgedstars dont actually look that bad. Btw, paint your mirrors to match your bbk.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Wheels have been ordered in glossy black and w/o pinstripe. HRE's have been sold yesterday. I hope I'll have the wheels FRiday or Saturday and should be on either Saturday or Monday. w00t!
Good thing dude, it will look mean! IMO that silver pinstripe would have looked fruity
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Originally Posted by BENZGal
I thought it was last weekend, it might be this weekend?
I feel your pain on the HRE's!!!!!! There are tons of pot holes in the Tri-Counties, the 126 FWY being the worst. I have replaced my barrels twice and have had the lips repaired a couple of times. Not much you can do with low profile tires and potholes that swallow your whole wheel.
I just never heard of that show lol. Yeah, no HRE's or any other forged multipiece 20's for me unless the car becomes a weekender.

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
We are authorized dealers of FORGESTAR wheels BTW, feel free to contact us for a quote.
Thanks D, but I go direct with iForged and Forgestars

Originally Posted by Shake
Those forgedstars dont actually look that bad. Btw, paint your mirrors to match your bbk.
Dude, you're a ricer lol
Originally Posted by Vader55
Good thing dude, it will look mean! IMO that silver pinstripe would have looked fruity
YEAh I'm going for the mean black look (well the wheels that is lol)
Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 AM

pick up
Glossy black without pinstripe...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel opinion: What I'm getting after the HRE....