W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keyless Go key stolen with my SUV, options please?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keyless Go key stolen with my SUV, options please?

I was with my wife and two daughters shopping in Target and my SUV was stolen from the parking lot with my keyless go key set. Needless to say I'm changing my house locks as we speak. What do I do about my benz? I'm worried the cowards could get my address and just take the car.

Does anyone know what my options are for changing the codes in the security system?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
Sorry to hear of your problem.

I'd contact your local dealership and tell them you need new "keyless" keys issued (it will cost you!) and get the car re-programmed for the new keys. You will also need to get the Keyless Go deactivated (should be easy with pulling a module - I found that having my rear window broken recently also disabled keyless go - probably as part of the rear window defroster is part of the system's antenna).

As a word of caution... I NEVER keep house and car keys combined on the same ring...or leave them in the car, but that's not helpful after the event.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 GL550 2006 S55
The dealer can issue a new key and deactivate the other keys, but not sure how the keyless reprogramming works. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:32 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Word of Caution: Until this is resolved, DO NOT KEEP THE BENZ AT YOUR HOUSE.

The thieves have your address from your registration and other miscellaneous crap that was in your other car, and the last thing you want is for them to notice the MB key and say "Nice! A 2-4-1 special! Let's just swing by and see what's in the driveway..."

Get the locks on the MB changed ASAP, doors and ignition.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by gandeeman
... my SUV was stolen from the parking lot with my keyless go key set. ...
Didn't anybody read; SUV and keys stolen because he left the keys in the SUV.

Originally Posted by gandeeman
... Does anyone know what my options are for changing the codes in the security system?
Can't help you with your security system codes.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:11 PM

2007 E63 AMG, 2012 F250 4x4
[quote=amdeutsch;3570407]Didn't anybody read; SUV and keys stolen because he left the keys in the SUV.

I did.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 AM
Esh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by D Bst
As a word of caution... I NEVER keep house and car keys combined on the same ring...
+1

I always have them on separate rings.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
[QUOTE=amdeutsch;3570407]Didn't anybody read; SUV and keys stolen because he left the keys in the SUV.
QUOTE]

Yes, and it reads that he has a Benz @ home, and the SUV stolen from Target (different vehicle) had the Benz keyless set in it.

Not that the SUV keys were left in the SUV.

Maybe the OP can clarify, but did YOU read? ( <- in case the sarcasm is missed)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Sorry. It probably wasn't clear. The SUV keys were *NOT* in the car, but out of character I threw my benz keys in the center console because they were bulky and I wasn't expecting this disaster.

I was very concerned about the car in the driveway so I put a large industrial chain lock around my back tire/rim which would prevent someone from going too far.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:07 PM

Sorry to hear of your plight! The dealer can deactivate the missing key and will as soon as you get the car too him. Don't wait, I lost a Benz the same way. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
this is why i dont register my cars to my house
Old 06-13-2009, 09:38 AM

RESOLUTION: Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to get the old key deactivated at the dealer and order a new one. It was almost $400 for both items but worth peace of mind. Now I just wish I could get my SUV back....
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Car Whore
doesnt your keyless go key have the detachable physical key though? couldnt they still open the door with that key?
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by Fantasm
doesnt your keyless go key have the detachable physical key though? couldnt they still open the door with that key?
They could... the alarm would go off though. I think someone suggested to change the locks though.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
I still think you should change the locks on the car. They have the key to your car and they know your address from your registration that was in your other car that they stole. What do you think is guna happen if they swing by and see the Benz in the driveway? You're going to be out of 2 cars instead of 1, and the insurance company will give you a hard time because they had the key.

And FYI, if you unlock the door with the physical key, the alarm will turn off. So that's not going to help you. The car needs to be re-keyed. Call a locksmith, the dealers are a rip-off. All they're guna do is call a locksmith, prolly the same one you would've called, then triple the price when they print your invoice. But whatever you do, you still need to get the locks changed. You have car thieves floating around with a key to your benz and they know where u live...
Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
Originally Posted by CWW
And FYI, if you unlock the door with the physical key, the alarm will turn off. So that's not going to help you. The car needs to be re-keyed. Call a locksmith, the dealers are a rip-off. All they're guna do is call a locksmith, prolly the same one you would've called, then triple the price when they print your invoice. But whatever you do, you still need to get the locks changed. You have car thieves floating around with a key to your benz and they know where u live...
Are you sure about this? In any of my cars, when the car was locked via the remote (i.e. alarm is set) and I unlock it with the actual key, the drivers door lock pin will pop up and as soon as I open the door the alarm starts ringing (honking in the ML).
Old 06-15-2009, 08:09 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Are you sure about this? In any of my cars, when the car was locked via the remote (i.e. alarm is set) and I unlock it with the actual key, the drivers door lock pin will pop up and as soon as I open the door the alarm starts ringing (honking in the ML).
All the MB's I've had, if you set the alarm off one way you can actually turn the thing off is by sticking the physical key in the slot and turning it. Like when you accidentally push the "lock" button when someone's still in the car, and then they pull the handle, it sometimes makes me stick the key in the door to turn it off. But maybe that doesn't translate into normal operation? I dunno...

Still, the whole point of the metal key is supposed to be a backup, in case the electronic one breaks, right? So there's got to be some way to operate the car with it.