2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
does anyone have a pic of what fins to Dremel out
Old 06-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600
So in-engine mushroom cones no good?

WTF...

So which of the experts here can explain this 40++ jump in wheel horsepower off of this set-up by our very own member, "BiTurboAMG"?
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of mushroom filters?-intake-007.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dyno run-1.pdf (80.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Akademiks

WTF...

So which of the experts here can explain this 40++ jump in wheel horsepower off of this set-up by our very own member, "BiTurboAMG"?
1) our cars inlets are extremely restricted over E55's, I counted (4) sharp 90 degree bends in our fact oem boxes, 2nd these guys don't know evrything, my own testing has already proved these setups work w/filter butted right up to oem holes, plus relieving 90 degree bends etc...

What remains to be seen is how restricted E55 oem airboxes are anybody got pix of stockers w/filters out?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Originally Posted by Thericker
1) our cars inlets are extremely restricted over E55's, I counted (4) sharp 90 degree bends in our fact oem boxes, 2nd these guys don't know evrything, my own testing has already proved these setups work w/filter butted right up to oem holes, plus relieving 90 degree bends etc...

What remains to be seen is how restricted E55 oem airboxes are anybody got pix of stockers w/filters out?
I was very curious of the difference between your airbox and mine. I will remove mine tonight and post pics.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
two totally difference cars...there's nothing to remove in our airboxes.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by chiromikey
yup.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
exactly what i thought, that is the reason i asked someone if the had pics of the oem boxes.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Yup, no 90 degree bends
Old 06-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
'03 E55 (My Daily), '01 ML 320 (Wifey), Twin Turbo '69 Camaro (In Progess)
Correct, the intake tract is as straight as an arrow with nothing to dremel. In looking at making a new intake, it does appear as if there is ample room to place conical air filters in front of the radiator like Vadim did in his Fangs design. In order to do this, the horns need to be relocated. Has anyone tried connecting conical filters in front of VRP python tubes? It has been addressed that placing these filters up front interrupts the airflow across the radiator, to what extent this affects engine cooling, it is currently unknown. The challenge in doing so comes with how they are plumbed through the radiator support as it becomes a very tight fit.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by bbearden
Correct, the intake tract is as straight as an arrow with nothing to dremel. In looking at making a new intake, it does appear as if there is ample room to place conical air filters in front of the radiator like Vadim did in his Fangs design. In order to do this, the horns need to be relocated. Has anyone tried connecting conical filters in front of VRP python tubes? It has been addressed that placing these filters up front interrupts the airflow across the radiator, to what extent this affects engine cooling, it is currently unknown. The challenge in doing so comes with how they are plumbed through the radiator support as it becomes a very tight fit.
I freekin hate that radiator support aka the intake broiler. Brilliant design
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
MB E55 airboxes

Here are the pics!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have pics of mushroom filters?-dsc00541.jpg   Anyone have pics of mushroom filters?-dsc00544.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 12:51 PM

CLS55 AMG 030

WTF...

Hood up dyno run?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
I believe there's a very simple solution to these problems that everyone's overlooking.

I'm going to test a theory when some supplies I need come in, but if I were a betting man, after doing some checks on hot areas under the hood, I'll bet it's possible for an easy 5 -15 degree reduction in intake temps.

Until then ...

On a more complicated note ... with set ups like the "Fangs" or any other pass through the front design, you pretty much kill the ability to run in rain, which for me is not a problem. I have a nice F250 for that. But for those that want to run in foul weather there's only a few solutions. The factory set up offers the best of both worlds with some decent resistance to inhaling too much moisture while offering good performance.

Having said that ... how fun would it be to modify a hood for true cold air intake? The hoods are pretty cheap too! Modifying one to pull lots of heat out and feed the intake cool air would not be very difficult. For you racers ... IMO this is the only way to go.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JustPete
...Having said that ... how fun would it be to modify a hood for true cold air intake? The hoods are pretty cheap too! Modifying one to pull lots of heat out and feed the intake cool air would not be very difficult. For you racers ... IMO this is the only way to go.
for years i've been begging for someone with those abilities to modify the hood and create a nice cowl intake that we could then mate to a shroud that isolates that cowl intake and the tb. we end up with a nice high pressure area and a cold air intake while at the same time freeing up a lot of space to then look at fabricating a nice slr cooler system.

i see bmw's with hood vents all over the damned place but nobody can do something for an amg??? WTF!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

SL600
for years i've been begging for someone with those abilities to modify the hood and create a nice cowl intake that we could then mate to a shroud that isolates that cowl intake and the tb. we end up with a nice high pressure area and a cold air intake while at the same time freeing up a lot of space to then look at fabricating a nice slr cooler system.

i see bmw's with hood vents all over the damned place but nobody can do something for an amg??? WTF!!!
Quite the opposite, my engine bay is practically sealed to hell. The vents at the top of my hood are but for aesthetics. I simply believe AMG-- or Mercedes in general-- did certain stuff on purpose, to rob cars of their potential.

I've never seen such restricted engines, period.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Banned

SL600
I believe there's a very simple solution to these problems that everyone's overlooking.

I'm going to test a theory when some supplies I need come in, but if I were a betting man, after doing some checks on hot areas under the hood, I'll bet it's possible for an easy 5 -15 degree reduction in intake temps.

Until then ...

On a more complicated note ... with set ups like the "Fangs" or any other pass through the front design, you pretty much kill the ability to run in rain, which for me is not a problem. I have a nice F250 for that. But for those that want to run in foul weather there's only a few solutions. The factory set up offers the best of both worlds with some decent resistance to inhaling too much moisture while offering good performance.

Having said that ... how fun would it be to modify a hood for true cold air intake? The hoods are pretty cheap too! Modifying one to pull lots of heat out and feed the intake cool air would not be very difficult. For you racers ... IMO this is the only way to go.
And what's your theory?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Quite the opposite, my engine bay is practically sealed to hell. The vents at the top of my hood are but for aesthetics. I simply believe AMG-- or Mercedes in general-- did certain stuff on purpose, to rob cars of their potential.

I've never seen such restricted engines, period.
not sure what you mean but i was talking about aftermarket hood vents on all the bmw's running around, yet nobody wants to do anything for the amg's.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM

CLS55 AMG 030

That might just change real soon.

I have a CLS ... have already gotten a quote on a new hood for it to play with. Fabbing up some true cold air intake and heat control would be pretty easy. It sure won't be rain proof though.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:44 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
And what's your theory?
I'm keeping it to myself right now. Had ideas stolen one too many times.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S

Until then ...

rain should not be a constraint. the only way water would get sucked into the engine is if the large part of a filter (say 2/3) was submerged in water. if some rain is going to pour over top of the fitler in the front (fangs type intake) - nothing is going to happen.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by prodigymb
rain should not be a constraint. the only way water would get sucked into the engine is if the large part of a filter (say 2/3) was submerged in water. if some rain is going to pour over top of the fitler in the front (fangs type intake) - nothing is going to happen.
I'm not so sure about that. Put it this way ... you wouldn't catch me driving in a pouring rain with that system. Throw some gortex socks over those filters and then OK.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I'm keeping it to myself right now. Had ideas stolen one too many times.
What? are you going to patent the idea lol... I already started hood cutting as soon as dealership is done w/warranty work I'll be fitting custom piece from another fast auto talked about frequently in kill stories...

Very nice flat hood opening, not a vent def NOT rice style, will let in ton of cold air to both intakes & further cool the engine etc...Then off to bodyshop to bondo-butter paint to appear as if it was born their.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
We got some engineers working hard over here

We need people to keep pushing the envelope. I know these motors have more in them then what we have seen.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Originally Posted by prodigymb
100% agreed, there are also multiple ways including a bypass filter to prevent this. Also- an open hood dyno in a non-moving car that makes 600ish hp will definitely yield 40ish (not even 10% increase) hp or so vs a closed hood dyno in a moving car. Not to mention he opened up the restrictions on his system as he mentioned. No matter what you guys claim or think an under hood system w/open element will NOT make more power then one that takes from outside air, unless there are other factors at play. It's extremely simple physics- increase efficiency by removing restrictions and decrease temperatures. Perhaps the restriction on rickers car was so great that the loss from hot air was over ridden by the benefit of opening up the airway.

Ricker- what you're doing now will be great, if you do it- I will follow w/a custom hood/intake system for the e55.

Last edited by itsmeek; 06-30-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:44 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
Originally Posted by Thericker
What? are you going to patent the idea lol... I already started hood cutting as soon as dealership is done w/warranty work I'll be fitting custom piece from another fast auto talked about frequently in kill stories...

Very nice flat hood opening, not a vent def NOT rice style, will let in ton of cold air to both intakes & further cool the engine etc...Then off to bodyshop to bondo-butter paint to appear as if it was born their.
I just want to test/prove my theory ... and then I'll share it. It's the entrepreneur in me. Sorry.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone have pics of mushroom filters?