Lots of Header pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Are you running ice in your split cooling system? If not - there's no possible way that I can think of that your post-intercooled air is cooler than ambient temps... so the sensor must be grabbing a false-reading somehow.
mike's cooling system is simply amazing. an independent intercooler system with reservoir, two heat exchangers and a really loud Jabsco pump. the pump and supercharger wired up on a the same fuse. also only running lowish boost.

and datalogging has actually shown that the ice doesnt make a difference. i know a very respected forum member on the sr6 forum (has the c32 motor) has shown this and mike has discovered this as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
very clean product demo so far..

I think my next mod will be a shorty header or HEM's... due to ease of install.

But these look very nice.

can't wait to see dyno.

If you can please dyno a stock car without tuning and one with ECU tuning.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Are you running ice in your split cooling system? If not - there's no possible way that I can think of that your post-intercooled air is cooler than ambient temps... so the sensor must be grabbing a false-reading somehow.
Originally Posted by jturkel
mike's cooling system is simply amazing. an independent intercooler system with reservoir, two heat exchangers and a really loud Jabsco pump. the pump and supercharger wired up on a the same fuse. also only running lowish boost.

and datalogging has actually shown that the ice doesnt make a difference. i know a very respected forum member on the sr6 forum (has the c32 motor) has shown this and mike has discovered this as well.
i realize we're talking about two different platforms here so the comparisons are not direct. however, i gotta agree with c32amg...it's kinda hard to believe he can get cooling below ambient unless he's measuring iat's BEFORE the s/c. either way, something is wrong with his data or datalogger if he's not measuring any difference with ice in his reservoir (unless his reservoir is so small that he can't fit enough in there). just my opinion anyways...

although, i do have proof many times over, in the form of timeslips, when it comes to icing my reservoir showing a difference.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
02 C32 AMG
^mike,

if i remember correctly, mike tapped his manifolds. moved the gauge that monitors outside temps and actually placed it in there.

Hooley, correct me if i'm wrong
Old 07-07-2009, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
^mike,

if i remember correctly, mike tapped his manifolds. moved the gauge that monitors outside temps and actually placed it in there.

Hooley, correct me if i'm wrong
that's definitely after the s/c. gonna have to chalk it up to a different platform for now...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
I have my temps monitored from just after the intercooler. I will go outside now and take a pic today of my IAT temps. I will know 100% for sure whats going on when i get the Davtron temp gauge installed.

Trust me I find it hard to belive too. so that why I'm getting a new super-dooper gauge.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Thumbs up E55/CLS55 update

Flanges are being cut at we speak. Haste is waste my friends.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5

Amazing is one thing - impossible's another. Two things - assuming a vehicle is in the shade, eventually everything in the car - engine, airboxes, fluids, etc. will reach temperature equilibrium at whatever the ambient temp is where it's located... it's just the way it is. The best a car could ever do IAT wise (without a supplemental below-ambient cooling media added, e.g. ice or dry ice) would (in theory) equal ambient. I don't care if it has 5 HEs and a tank that consumes the entire trunk - it just isn't possible to do better. Take a glass of water and place it in your kitchen, leave it overnight, and measure it's temp vs. the air temp in the room... eventually they'll be the same. Your IC system fluid temperature is no different - it won't magically stay at a temp below the environment it's in.

Now, what could be possible is taking the car "cold" out of a 80* garage, or shop, and datalogging in 110* ambient temps outside - presto, the fluid in the tank and IC system would be at 80* for a little while (heating rapidly, though), so it'd be possible to get a post-IC reading of IAT below ambient... but it'd be extremely temporary - i.e. not sustainable, once the car's fully up to temp.

In reality, with a car that's up to temp and in normal driving conditions, even getting IATs within about +10* of ambient is a very good showing, because you have to consider engine-bay heat, solar heat absorbed by the paint, etc. and their inevitable transfer to the intake system. The IC system fluid can only radiate excess heat to the passing ambient air - so it'll never reach ambient once the car's running and up to temp (without adding something colder than ambient to it).

Second - ice should absolutely lower IATs, by artificially (and temporarily) driving down the IC fluid temp below whatever the temp is normally.

Originally Posted by chiromikey
i realize we're talking about two different platforms here so the comparisons are not direct. however, i gotta agree with c32amg...it's kinda hard to believe he can get cooling below ambient unless he's measuring iat's BEFORE the s/c. either way, something is wrong with his data or datalogger if he's not measuring any difference with ice in his reservoir (unless his reservoir is so small that he can't fit enough in there). just my opinion anyways...

although, i do have proof many times over, in the form of timeslips, when it comes to icing my reservoir showing a difference.
Agreed with all except the bold section - there's really no "unless" in this situation. Even in that instance, you shouldn't be able to achieve "below-ambient" IATs. That said, there's no logical reason icing the tank can't lower IATs... in fact, it absolutely should. Caveat: you'd have to use enough of it to materially lower the IC fluid temp, which can then will lower IATs post-intercooler. And if you can get the IC fluid substantially below the current ambient temps, you should be able to datalog an IAT figure that is actually below whatever the current ambient temps are.

Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
Trust me I find it hard to belive too. so that why I'm getting a new super-dooper gauge.

As usual, MBH takes the best approach to figure out this strange discrepancy... gather more (and better) data.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
still waiting for dyno results man.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Update?!?!?!?

update update update ???

Also what about RHD version?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by stevebez
update update update ???

Also what about RHD version?
I'm in talks about a RHD setup. As for the E55 they are coming very very soon. possibly even next week. I only move forward.