Sponsored by:

Heat Exchanger Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
hey guys it took me a while to figure things out but im now in the final stretch for my HE upgrade. i went to my local shop, Advance Motors, a few times and we took measurements and found a size that should fit in the front of my car. the biggest we felt safe going with is 30x6x3.5 inches (with end tanks). i then asked bell intercoolers to make a dual pass liquid to air HE with tube and fin design that would match those dimensions.

here are some pics of the final product which i picked up today.
measurements came out to be 30x6x3.25 inches with the end tanks being about 3.56" thick.
i sure hope that this fits nicely up there, brackets will still need to made and welded on when advance begins the install.

i have a johnson CM30 and a bmw power steering reservoir on the way and when i bring it in to get installed along with vadim's mid-section kit ill post up more shots.

in the meantime my car is going in tomorrow for an 82mm TB install (made by vadim) and im pretty excited about that. i hope it will mate with my VRP CF airbox!

here are some pics of the HE:

Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I used the new shelby cobra take off intercooler on mine. Made a couple brackets and never had to remove the bumper for the install. Other cars may vary

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALEE...=p4506.c0.m245

You can pick them up on ebay for 100 bucks , if you look hard. These are Garrett heat exchangers (about 30 ounces) and match our under blower intercoolers . Yes we have Garrett's under blower intercoolers on our German AMG`s and they are made in mexico..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
nice man, i hope theres a way i can slap this in without removing the bumper as well!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by jikjak
hey guys it took me a while to figure things out but im now in the final stretch for my HE upgrade. i went to my local shop, Advance Motors, a few times and we took measurements and found a size that should fit in the front of my car. the biggest we felt safe going with is 30x6x3.5 inches (with end tanks). i then asked bell intercoolers to make a dual pass liquid to air HE with tube and fin design that would match those dimensions.

here are some pics of the final product which i picked up today.
measurements came out to be 30x6x3.25 inches with the end tanks being about 3.56" thick.
i sure hope that this fits nicely up there, brackets will still need to made and welded on when advance begins the install.

i have a johnson CM30 and a bmw power steering reservoir on the way and when i bring it in to get installed along with vadim's mid-section kit ill post up more shots.

in the meantime my car is going in tomorrow for an 82mm TB install (made by vadim) and im pretty excited about that. i hope it will mate with my VRP CF airbox!

here are some pics of the HE:

Let your shop know i will be the second to purchase this kit when you guys are done all the R&D. I like your initiative. We should put our heads together and make stuff for this platform since none of the vendors really want to step up to the plate I can send over a deposit right now.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
ill definitely keep u posted on that.
still have to test fit and make brackets and all that.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
I used the new shelby cobra take off intercooler on mine. Made a couple brackets and never had to remove the bumper for the install. Other cars may vary

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALEE...=p4506.c0.m245

You can pick them up on ebay for 100 bucks , if you look hard. These are Garrett heat exchangers (about 30 ounces) and match our under blower intercoolers . Yes we have Garrett's under blower intercoolers on our German AMG`s and they are made in mexico..

can you tell what size is this
and didn't you find anything with fins positioned vertically instead of horizontal ?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Horizontal fins will cool better then the vertical fins because there will be more passages and fins...
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by itsmeek
Horizontal fins will cool better then the vertical fins because there will be more passages and fins...

sorry but I read it that passages are more in number if vertical
and would not want anything thicker than stock to avoid heat be passed on
Old 08-05-2009, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. Vertical will have more passages and and will flow better but not cool as well. Horizontal will flow less but cool better because of the longer passages. Too early for this stuff

Seems as if the vertical is better for lower boost and the horizontal is better for higher boost.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Has anyone tried any of the aftermarket ones they sell for the Cobras and GT500's?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by dyno
can you tell what size is this
and didn't you find anything with fins positioned vertically instead of horizontal ?
The E class can use a wider and larger H/E. Say 30" wide but also must remove the bumper to instal. I do not know how much room is in the CLS or SL front grill. On the CL, I only had to remove the front lower screen and it fit right in. There were two bolts places, so no holes were drilled or any other major modification. The new Cobra H/E is 26.75 wide, 2" deep and I think 6" wide. This was the absolute largest H/E that would fit on my car. Oh yeah, I measures the added water capacity at 30 ounces. (feel free to convert to metric)
Please note: I only recommend using this H/E as an addition to your stock H/E cooler and not in place of. I run two H/E`s and the results are perefect for my set up. The smaller, thinner H/E also does not block to much air flow form my oil cooler or radiator.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The E class can use a wider and larger H/E. Say 30" wide but also must remove the bumper to instal. I do not know how much room is in the CLS or SL front grill. On the CL, I only had to remove the front lower screen and it fit right in. There were two bolts places, so no holes were drilled or any other major modification. The new Cobra H/E is 26.75 wide, 2" deep and I think 6" wide. This was the absolute largest H/E that would fit on my car. Oh yeah, I measures the added water capacity at 30 ounces. (feel free to convert to metric)
Please note: I only recommend using this H/E as an addition to your stock H/E cooler and not in place of. I run two H/E`s and the results are perefect for my set up. The smaller, thinner H/E also does not block to much air flow form my oil cooler or radiator.

thanks,
it seems similar enough in size to our stock unit ... so if you added it to your stock unit I guess those 30 ounces added capacity, less than 1 liter, means it is its own total capacity

as JikJak said, for CLS we have:
By looking underneath the car and taking several measurements it seems that the OEM Behr unit measures about 28" x 5" x 2.25" (end tank to end tank).

the space available for an OEM HE replacement and the dimensions im going to go with are 30" x 6" c 3.5" (end tank to end tank). theres almost enough space in there to fit 2 OEM units! the height is limited by the oem oil cooler, otherwise it would be possible to go over 6".

afaik CLS has a lot of free room along depth and maybe fitting 2 HEs in parallel
is a good idea but IMHO the front one should be smaller and some ducts for flowing air to the second one should be designed.
I will deal with this thing next on, if I can first solve the main issue of top IC
but in principle I would check for free room to the left and right side from the stock location for adding some unit ...
Old 08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by dyno
thanks,
it seems similar enough in size to our stock unit ... so if you added it to your stock unit I guess those 30 ounces added capacity, less than 1 liter, means it is its own total capacity...
My stock oil cooler is in the same place as the E55 H/E and looks simulair. I assume the E is also the same as the CLS and maybe the SL the same as the E? My stock H/E is about the same size as the radiator and located behind it. It is only 1" wide and not as thick as the radiator. The new H/E is added in line of the H/E system and Adds an EXTRA 30 ounces of coolant. This lowered my average IAT from 30-40 Deg over ambient to around 10-15 degress over ambient in the hot Texas heat. (90 deg. to 103 deg.)

Just a guess but it seems two seperate H/E`s with same total capacity as one, cools better than one H/E that is just thicker. In other words, I would rather add an auxillary cooler , have more frontal surface area, than have one thick cooler.

Been a while since I calculated this system but I think I can run 16 seconds of boost, before the water makes one circulation. Then it only takes 6-8 seconds to recover.. I am very happy with that! Stock was like 40 seconds, just to recover to 30 deg over ambient.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The new H/E is added in line of the H/E system and Adds an EXTRA 30 ounces of coolant. This lowered my average IAT from 30-40 Deg over ambient to around 10-15 degress over ambient in the hot Texas heat. (90 deg. to 103 deg.)

if "in line" means in series, then you should get much better results fitting it in parallel. according to literature on this subject.

Just a guess but it seems two seperate H/E`s with same total capacity as one, cools better than one H/E that is just thicker. In other words, I would rather add an auxillary cooler , have more frontal surface area, than have one thick cooler.

very correct, according to literature

Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
well i finally had my larger HE installed today.

im very happy that the local shop that i frequent, advance motors, did a great job with the install. they fabricated me some nice brackets to mount the HE and were able to make use of the oem brackets to mount the oil cooler underneath it. they were also responsible for helping me take the initial measurements so that i could have the HE made. they are also going to see if they can hook up some sort of temperature sensor to get the pump to turn on at the temp that it is set at.

anyways here are a few pics. ill take some better shots of it installed on another day.

Last edited by jikjak; 09-05-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nice, you may want to just wire the pump to turn on with ignition
Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
by doing that will the pump be running whenever the car is on?

would that cause the pump to wear out fast since its always working?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
nice pics.
I have also wired my ic pump to the accessory.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600

each pump has a set working life in hours. so yes the working life of the pump will be over sooner when it is wired to the accessory.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG

From what I've heard, the pump is on pretty much any time the car is running, not just under boost. The advantage of the hardwire would be the ability to run the pump when the engine is off, in the staging lanes for instance. However, without a fan pulling air through the HE I don't think just circulating water will do much.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 porsche 996 turbo
a few thoughts. the i/c pump comes on at 2000 rpm and stays on while the engine is running. unless you want to flow the coolant while the engine is off ie: cooldown after racing , its not needed. also it appears you have enough room to install a larger h/e in front of the radiator. thicker isnt better ,larger area is here some fotos of the h/e i hade made for my slk32 . cost aprox 350$ with my cm30 the flow rate 4.7 gpm! its a dual pass h/e

also if you separate the coolant system from the intercooler system the temps of the i/c fluid will be reduced significantly. by not allowing the 190 * engine coolant thru the i/c temps are reduced. hope this helps
btw my h/e is 26" wide 16" tall and 1" thick at the cores, 1.75 at the tanks
Attached Thumbnails Heat Exchanger Questions-hpim0308.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy

Yes the pump will be running whenever the car is on. Helps keep it cooler. The colder it is, the lower your IATs and the more power

Yes.
Originally Posted by izzyz28
From what I've heard, the pump is on pretty much any time the car is running, not just under boost. The advantage of the hardwire would be the ability to run the pump when the engine is off, in the staging lanes for instance. However, without a fan pulling air through the HE I don't think just circulating water will do much.
Thats why you put ice on the charger while its sitting with the pump on
Old 09-05-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
so what is the lifespan of the pump?

hmm maybe i should have it hooked to the accessory then hehe
Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
there's no need to rewire the pump...under normal conditions it's on all the time with exception of cold start mode.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
ok thanks, i can just leave it alone! even better hehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heat Exchanger Questions