Sponsored by:

TRG to race SLR 722 GT's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:11 PM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
TRG to race SLR 722 GT's

From what I've heard, they plan to run these in the Speed World Challenge. Should be interesting as they will have to dial the hp down to 550hp. Apparently the chassis has already been approved for competition in SWC, not sure about Grand Am.

http://www.theracersgroup.com/mercedes.slr.gt/
Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
It is the only one like it in the world (oberved through spec and build details), has extensive build sheet and is a tryuly wonderful machine campaigned by a top notch group of guys who are excited to be part of that program. When I was at VIR a couple of weeks ago they were testing; hung out with TFG for a couple of days; Spencer Pumpelly was testing for initial data aquisition and shake down. The car is being worked out and with more track time they will hopefully have it dialed in. It's an amazing race car; I know exactly how much it cost through the extensive work done, ground up build from tub; the tub is Mclaren; the fab work for the CF and chassis done in England by RME, engine AMG (one of 6 varients) and electronics Mclaren; and TRG has really brought the package together with assembly, gearbox, system integration etc. The owner (real nice guy) plans to campaign the car in WC GT. He concurently owns another 2 SLRs, one of which he had at the track along with his CLK63 BS, one of 3 CLK 63BS's he owns; the 3 vehicles came in his transporter. He has several cars (some of which I mentioned but there are others) and is a diehard MB enthusiasts who plans on making MB more in tune with the enthusiast and track community via programs and parts/services for cars like the SLR.

Last edited by Sunir; 06-24-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Thanks for the info...There is also good thread over on Rennlist about it.
Can you tell us who the owner is you referred to ?? I was under impression that TRG owns the car, has another being delivered and will campaign both. Also, a friend of mine inside SWC said this chassis being approved has all the other top teams sweating bullets...I'm not sure why though; it won't be much different than the current field of Vipers.

Last edited by LZH; 06-24-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Thanks for posting this will be fun
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by Sunir
It is the only one like it in the world (oberved through spec and build details), has extensive build sheet and is a tryuly wonderful machine campaigned by a top notch group of guys who are excited to be part of that program. When I was at VIR a couple of weeks ago they were testing; hung out with TFG for a couple of days; Spencer Pumpelly was testing for initial data aquisition and shake down. The car is being worked out and with more track time they will hopefully have it dialed in. It's an amazing race car; I know exactly how much it cost through the extensive work done, ground up build from tub; the tub is Mclaren; the fab work for the CF and chassis done in England by RME, engine AMG (one of 6 varients) and electronics Mclaren; and TRG has really brought the package together with assembly, gearbox, system integration etc. The owner (real nice guy) plans to campaign the car in WC GT. He concurently owns another 2 SLRs, one of which he had at the track along with his CLK63 BS, one of 3 CLK 63BS's he owns; the 3 vehicles came in his transporter. He has several cars (some of which I mentioned but there are others) and is a diehard MB enthusiasts who plans on making MB more in tune with the enthusiast and track community via programs and parts/services for cars like the SLR.
Sounds like a cool guy. I was at Summit Point last weekend for Hyperfest
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Owner is Peter Blum, I chatted with him for a while both days I was there for the test days they were collecting vital data; he has a real vision for the goals of this program and working with TRG; who are actively promoting the car along with campaign duty in SWC. Another car, I believe, and support for the program is underway.

The car looks good on track; there are still seconds per lap out there the team will try to reign in. the attention to detail and systems on the car are outstanding, while in the garage proped on it's airjacks and doors splayed open, I spent a lot of time (two days with the crew and the car in the paddock garage; my area was close to the neighboring garage) around it learning about it and looking at all the technology and performance features... out on track during one session I was going 150mph or thereabouts in my SL55 and it went by me on the back straight just before the braking zone...it sounds like no other MB I've ever heard; even still it was cool being at high speed relative to it moving into the braking zone with the sequential gearbox working down the gears at high speeds; the sound is amazing!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:43 PM

997.2 GT3
It's a great looking race car and I have no doubt that TRG has the talent to successfully field the SLR. I think the greatest unknown factor is how Speed World Challenge will try to equalize the machine with the current competition. I'd hate so see the SLR compete poorly due to rules that neuter its performance too far.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
SLR will do well I think....but it does have to hurdle some growing pains...it's a new program so the car needs development and DAQ time...
Old 06-25-2009, 01:17 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by Point2Point
It's a great looking race car and I have no doubt that TRG has the talent to successfully field the SLR. I think the greatest unknown factor is how Speed World Challenge will try to equalize the machine with the current competition. I'd hate so see the SLR compete poorly due to rules that neuter its performance too far.
They use restrictor plates to limit hp to around 500-550 and also add weight to even the playing field.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05E55
That thing is slow! fast forward to 44sec on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvJC...eature=related
Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by L8Apex
That thing is slow! fast forward to 44sec on this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDvJC...eature=related
That's going onto the brake zone at T1...speeds there are just about the same as at the end of the back straight due to speed variences at the entry to each of the 2 primary straits.