W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering via STAR...What am I doing wrong??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Lowering via STAR...What am I doing wrong??

OK, Ive been trying to lower my '04 E55 with the STAR system, but after driving the car two blocks after the lowering the car return to its normal level.

I already install a set of 19" CL65 replicas wheels and I just hate to see the car so high. It is urgent for me to lower the car.
If any of you has already lower your cars via STAR (not your stealership), please help me, and let me know what am I doing wrong?..

Here is the list of steps (menus) I done:
-Main Groups
-Functions Performed by more than one control unit
-Chassis/Chassis
-Level Adjustment
-Suspension
-Actuations
-Move Toward Calibrated Level (manually)
-10 Clicks F4
-10 Clicks F6
-12 Clicks F8
-F2

I log out of the Star system, unplug it. Start the car and it stays lowered, but once I start moving it it starts to rise.

What can I do so the car stays where I left it?

Am I on the wrong menu?

Please HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
Originally Posted by Road Racer
OK, Ive been trying to lower my '04 E55 with the STAR system, but after driving the car two blocks after the lowering the car return to its normal level.

I already install a set of 19" CL65 replicas wheels and I just hate to see the car so high. It is urgent for me to lower the car.
If any of you has already lower your cars via STAR (not your stealership), please help me, and let me know what am I doing wrong?..

Here is the list of steps (menus) I done:
-Main Groups
-Functions Performed by more than one control unit
-Chassis/Chassis
-Level Adjustment
-Suspension
-Actuations
-Move Toward Calibrated Level (manually)
-10 Clicks F4
-10 Clicks F6
-12 Clicks F8
-F2

I log out of the Star system, unplug it. Start the car and it stays lowered, but once I start moving it it starts to rise.

What can I do so the car stays where I left it?

Am I on the wrong menu?

Please HELP!!!!!!!!
You're doing it wrong.
You described your procedures in "actuations" screen. Actuation is only used to change the levels, it is not the menu to use to set up your ride height.

Of the top of my head, I can't remember which option it is. But you choose it from the same menu as you did from Actuations... The option selection is something like "Initial setup from ....."

You will need to put your car on an alignment rack (because you need to go underneath the suspension). You will set your ride-height through the STAR computer. You will them use a Rombus gauge to measure the inclination angles for EACH CORNER of the car. You will then enter the angle in the computer for each corner. If you are lowering the car NO MORE than 1.5" front and 1.0" rear (approx), the STAR will show that you are within range and will set that height and you'll be done.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:16 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2007 CLK63 Cab
I have sold quite a few Lowering Link Kits to people that have tried to lower ther vehicle with Star. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 AM
acb

2005 e55 amg
John, re the links - Ive been thinking about ordering some for a while - is it an easy install for a shop to put them in? - how long should it take so I can guage a quote? cheers
Old 07-14-2009, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Originally Posted by John V.
I have sold quite a few Lowering Link Kits to people that have tried to lower ther vehicle with Star. Sometimes it just doesn't work.
John is a great guy to deal with. I have bought 3 sets of links from and installed them on my car and friends cars. You have the links in your hands 3 days after you buy them.

my car and my friends A8 that i lowered with links...

Last edited by prodigymb; 07-14-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by prodigymb
John is a great guy to deal with. I have bought 3 sets of links from and installed them on my car and friends cars. You have the links in your hands 3 days after you buy them.

my car and my friends A8 that i lowered with links...

Do the links lower the rear as well?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AZIPOD
Do the links lower the rear as well?
yes. the E and the CLS only have one link in the rear unlike just about all the other cars. the link is a bit diffuclut to get to but just need to be patient with it. the cars with ABC sport suspension like SL55, S65 all have 4 links.

i did not go to low because i chose to run abit more sidewall in the rear 275/35/19 instead of 275/30/19

on my car it took me 20 minutes to do both fronts and about an hour to do the rear. i did my friends A8L and SL55 in under an hour each.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63 blk/blk H&R Springs & 08 e 63 blk/blk
So to lower an e63 I would need to buy just one kit set, right? Sorry, bit confused.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by g.smiley
So to lower an e63 I would need to buy just one kit set, right? Sorry, bit confused.
yeah everything you need comes in one kit.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM

05 E55, 08 S63, 09 GL450
Hey guys,

Do you give up a lot in ride quality when you lower via link? I am not looking for a slammed look but rather maybe an inch all around.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by gambari
Hey guys,

Do you give up a lot in ride quality when you lower via link? I am not looking for a slammed look but rather maybe an inch all around.

Thanks
No. The Airmatics are unlike springs. When they sit lower, they work the same, unlike conventional springs that will get more taught.

The redlights on your car looks cool. But you're not suppose to have blue or red lights in the front of your car. Those 2 colors are reserved exclusively for police vehicles. It's a big fine to get caught with those.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR, '04 CL55, '04 E55, '03 CLK500, '01 E55,94 E500, '91 190E 2.5-16 EVOII, '86 560SL
Originally Posted by AZIPOD
You're doing it wrong.
You described your procedures in "actuations" screen. Actuation is only used to change the levels, it is not the menu to use to set up your ride height.

Of the top of my head, I can't remember which option it is. But you choose it from the same menu as you did from Actuations... The option selection is something like "Initial setup from ....."

You will need to put your car on an alignment rack (because you need to go underneath the suspension). You will set your ride-height through the STAR computer. You will them use a Rombus gauge to measure the inclination angles for EACH CORNER of the car. You will then enter the angle in the computer for each corner. If you are lowering the car NO MORE than 1.5" front and 1.0" rear (approx), the STAR will show that you are within range and will set that height and you'll be done.

I hope this helps.
Hi there.

Im driving me crazy with this.

I did all the steps you told me, I even search for some Angle values in other posts and I came with 5.5 on the fronts and 1.8 on the rear, those values would lower the car aprox 1.5" on the front and 1.0" on the rears. That is according to this member.

I enter those values, but the car only lower and stayed lowered on the LEFT side... the right side lowers but returns to normal height after driving it a couple of blocks.
I repeat the process 20 times and it is the same thing.

On top of that, of course I got a message on my dashboard that the suspension is having problems and the car should go to the workshop. The headlamps also got an error since the car is not level at the same height one side to another .

I tried to go back to OEM settings and nothing... The car stay lowered from the left side...
I stop using the car because I dont want any damage on my suspension and if you look the car from behind looks like a 500 pound person is driving it

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Let me know how to return to original settings first, and then I want to try again to lower it.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
This just made my day! Thanks man!

Old 09-03-2009, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
+1 to Jakpro, hillarious! I am saving it for a future use

TO OP; You might want to contact people with knowledge that will able to help you out in your area. You definitely don't want to break airmatic suspension. I am personally can't help you with that, cause I tried lower it with Star but it never saved my setting and went to stock settings. If you won't resolve it, then may be it will be a good idea to tow it to a local stealership or place that work with Mercs.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Road Racer
Hi there.

Im driving me crazy with this.

I did all the steps you told me, I even search for some Angle values in other posts and I came with 5.5 on the fronts and 1.8 on the rear, those values would lower the car aprox 1.5" on the front and 1.0" on the rears. That is according to this member.

I enter those values, but the car only lower and stayed lowered on the LEFT side... the right side lowers but returns to normal height after driving it a couple of blocks.
I repeat the process 20 times and it is the same thing.

On top of that, of course I got a message on my dashboard that the suspension is having problems and the car should go to the workshop. The headlamps also got an error since the car is not level at the same height one side to another .

I tried to go back to OEM settings and nothing... The car stay lowered from the left side...
I stop using the car because I dont want any damage on my suspension and if you look the car from behind looks like a 500 pound person is driving it

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Let me know how to return to original settings first, and then I want to try again to lower it.
If you want to lower 1.5" front and 1.0" rear they you need to use inclination angles of 5.5-positive fronts and -1.0 negative for the rear.

If you want to go back to stock, use inclination angles of 3.9 front and negative -1.8 for the rear.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:17 AM

2005 e55AMG
Any chance of getting a step by step with directory and menu names and values for doing this without being on an alignment rack?

If you want to lower 1.5" front and 1.0" rear they you need to use inclination angles of 5.5-positive fronts and -1.0 negative for the rear.

If you want to go back to stock, use inclination angles of 3.9 front and negative -1.8 for the rear.
So would inclination of 4.7 front and -1.4 rear go ~.75" front and ~.5" rear?
Is there anything else the system needs to prevent error? It didn't sound like alignment needed to be adjusted, just checked for angles...