So far so good!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
So far so good!

Picked the car up from the dealer and put about 100 miles on the new motor with forged pistons.. Motor is nice and quiet, no smoke, and no noticable blow-by,,,so far.. It is 100 plus deg. here everyday but power still feels good so far. Still taking it easy and have not gone over 3700 rpm so far. I was expecting a little more noise from the Wiseco forged but everthing is real quiet.. Interesting to see how the nikasil coated block with forged pistons will last and perform. On paper, the combo seems great.

New motor mounts really took the 70mph vibration out.

PS, pictures to come soon of all the Kaboom parts. Nasty stuff. No one has been able to figure out what happened yet. So, will leave it up to the veiwers on the board for help..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-15-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
when did your engine blow?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
'06 E55 K2
Why would Forged pistons not be quiet? All new forged pistons have a % silicone in them to siginifcantly improve the metallurgy for reasons such as expansion. Only the real old Forged pistons pre '80s diesel on start-up.

Yasin
Old 07-15-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by slownrusty
Why would Forged pistons not be quiet? All new forged pistons have a % silicone in them to siginifcantly improve the metallurgy for reasons such as expansion. Only the real old Forged pistons pre '80s diesel on start-up.

Yasin
Or a crappy engine builder....
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
when did your engine blow?
Few months ago. I just let it sit and went back to making money.. After a break, got back after it..

What I meant to say; these are custom pistons. A person whom I did not know ordered them and had them made to factory sizes. So , was not sure what the outcome would be. Pistons were also made for a bottom guided motor and required custom thrust washers to be made. Second, like Madgoat said.. Also, not sure if pistons were installed with offset in correct position either. Not even sure if the custom pistons had other glitches involved in thier making.

I also noticed that the cross hatch hone on the Nikasil bore was really flat and I had not seen that before . I hear buidlers use a plateau hone technique now but not sure what that looks like finished.

Have about 150 miles now and still no smoke, plenty of power and fuel mileage is dead on the last motor.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
possible causes? i think a noticed a broken ringland on the piston picture you posted.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:31 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by prodigymb
possible causes? i think a noticed a broken ringland on the piston picture you posted.
(The Piston in Pic above) with the broken ring land is not from my car. That is from a E55 that burned the piston using Nitrous. I have the repaired block (Nikasil coated) , that used to house that piston.

My number 8 piston is in little peices all over the block. Nothing to show. I plan to post all the pictures, and maybe as a collective group, we can figure out what happened. If not, it may just scare the hell out of others to be carefull in what they do.. These are damn tough motors but hard and expensive to fix.. Working on them is easy but with Alusil cylinders and virtually no after market bottom end parts, not many options.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
(The Piston in Pic above) with the broken ring land is not from my car. That is from a E55 that burned the piston using Nitrous. I have the repaired block (Nikasil coated) , that used to house that piston.

My number 8 piston is in little peices all over the block. Nothing to show. I plan to post all the pictures, and maybe as a collective group, we can figure out what happened. If not, it may just scare the hell out of others to be carefull in what they do.. These are damn tough motors but hard and expensive to fix.. Working on them is easy but with Alusil cylinders and virtually no after market bottom end parts, not many options.
Just out of curiosity, Did your car have supercharger spacers installed before the engine blew up?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
Just out of curiosity, Did your car have supercharger spacers installed before the engine blew up?
Do you mean phenolic spacers? If so,, no. I just have what is in my signature. Why? Are there problems with them?