Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Lightbulb Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions

Hello everybody,

Believe it or not, I have been on this forum for a long time reading the stuff you guys write and it is amazing the information you can find in here. I picked up my 2004 E55 from Illinois with all the option except for the pano roof and keyless entry including a K40 installed and working with 76000 miles for about $23.5K.

First, I was wondering if I got a good deal? (I did take it to a Mercedes dealer for inspection and he said, this car is so clean that if you don't buy it, my technician will buy it from the other dealer that wasn't a Mercedes dealer.)
SIDE NOTE: He said the front ball joints will need to be replaced in the next year and the transmission has small seepage (not a leak) that you do not have to worry about in the next few years. One of the TPMS's has run out of battery too.

Second, the guy at Mercedes told me to get a 3rd party warranty, but I am a bit skeptical, he said the stuff that's wrong with the car will pay it off. Any input on that would be appreciated. Got a quote from AA Auto Warranty (only place covering AMGs) 4 years, 50000 miles, everything covered (I will provide details if you need it) for $2993 ($800 down and $140 monthly for 15 months)

Third, most of the times, when I start to accelerate (not necessarily hard take-off), there is power cut at about 15-35 MPH (In first or second gear) for less than a second. From my searches, it's the IC pump, but please confirm.

Fourth, My SBC -H and S are not working, is that something that comes with the car standard or an option? (I have read it from the cool hidden features thread)

Fifth, I checked the oil level from the hidden menu in comand and it said 6.2 qrts when I turned the car on when it was cool so I thought that's low and added 2 qrts of Mobil1 0W-40, was that a good idea or should I take it to dealer to drain and put oil in it.

Sixth, When the water temp is low, after the start the car sounds like it is screaming like something is stock and the engine is working hard (hard to describe), it sounds faster as I accelerate and it goes away once the water temp reaches the optimal level (80-100). Any ideas?

Lastly, finally, I have a rough idle, is that normal with these cars? I searched, but couldn't find anything on that note. (I haven't tested this after the oil change because it was done literally now, maybe that fixed it, dunno)

And how do you fold the side mirrors? (I didn't want to break them assuming they are powered.)

Other than that, one of the fastest cars I have ever owned and the best one of them all so far. Here are some pictures, oh and the car was in perfect condition as far as curb rashes (none) and dings (none), a little bit of paint chips, but not excessive and the interior is in perfect condition.
Attached Thumbnails Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions-6533_1165147179995_1567351092_30864445_5667504_n.jpg   Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions-6533_1165147339999_1567351092_30864449_2053784_n.jpg   Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions-6533_1165147540004_1567351092_30864454_6111067_n.jpg   Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions-6533_1165147620006_1567351092_30864456_5052331_n.jpg   Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions-6533_1165147259997_1567351092_30864447_5468569_n.jpg  

Just got me an 04 monster and had some questions-6533_1165147700008_1567351092_30864458_243834_n.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 02:33 PM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
1. i think you got a fairly good/slightly better than average deal...
2. Yes get a warranty, it usually pays itself off
3. If the s/c shuts off(no whine/feel like a e500) then yes, your i/c pump is the usually suspect (common)
4. Do you mean that when you fully press the brake at a red light, it does not stay still? Mines either... go figure..
5. Only add when cluster tell you to, and add the exact amount...I personally rather a dip stick
6. Are you trying to say it has a rough idle/very slight vibration on first start?... Other members have been saying the same thing.... (possibility of a common issue)
7. like I said in 6, it is pretty common but only on first start...
Congrads on the purchase....
Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 PM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Originally Posted by TopEndS62
1. i think you got a fairly good/slightly better than average deal...
2. Yes get a warranty, it usually pays itself off
3. If the s/c shuts off(no whine/feel like a e500) then yes, your i/c pump is the usually suspect (common)
4. Do you mean that when you fully press the brake at a red light, it does not stay still? Mines either... go figure..
5. Only add when cluster tell you to, and add the exact amount...I personally rather a dip stick
6. Are you trying to say it has a rough idle/very slight vibration on first start?... Other members have been saying the same thing.... (possibility of a common issue)
7. like I said in 6, it is pretty common but only on first start...
Congrads on the purchase....
Thanks.

As for the power cut off, it' not just the SC that cuts off (I don't think) and it's not for a long time. Usually between first and second, there is this moment some times (not always) around 2000 RPM that the engine cuts off power for a brief moment with this click sound (more audible from outside) sound and then keeps going no problem. This tends to happen when I start off slow and then start pushing my foot down more as I gain speed.

There is a slight vibration not only when I start it in the morning, but other times too. In a cold start I get this very repetitive click sound clearly coming from the engine. As I accelerate, it gets more rapid, then goes away when the car is all warmed up. normal?

So, off topic, are the side mirrors power fold? how do they fold if so?
Old 09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by turbomzi
Hello everybody,

Believe it or not, I have been on this forum for a long time reading the stuff you guys write and it is amazing the information you can find in here. I picked up my 2004 E55 from Illinois with all the option except for the pano roof and keyless entry including a K40 installed and working with 76000 miles for about $23.5K.

First, I was wondering if I got a good deal? (I did take it to a Mercedes dealer for inspection and he said, this car is so clean that if you don't buy it, my technician will buy it from the other dealer that wasn't a Mercedes dealer.)
SIDE NOTE: He said the front ball joints will need to be replaced in the next year and the transmission has small seepage (not a leak) that you do not have to worry about in the next few years. One of the TPMS's has run out of battery too.

Second, the guy at Mercedes told me to get a 3rd party warranty, but I am a bit skeptical, he said the stuff that's wrong with the car will pay it off. Any input on that would be appreciated. Got a quote from AA Auto Warranty (only place covering AMGs) 4 years, 50000 miles, everything covered (I will provide details if you need it) for $2993 ($800 down and $140 monthly for 15 months)

Third, most of the times, when I start to accelerate (not necessarily hard take-off), there is power cut at about 15-35 MPH (In first or second gear) for less than a second. From my searches, it's the IC pump, but please confirm.

Fourth, My SBC -H and S are not working, is that something that comes with the car standard or an option? (I have read it from the cool hidden features thread)

Fifth, I checked the oil level from the hidden menu in comand and it said 6.2 qrts when I turned the car on when it was cool so I thought that's low and added 2 qrts of Mobil1 0W-40, was that a good idea or should I take it to dealer to drain and put oil in it.

Sixth, When the water temp is low, after the start the car sounds like it is screaming like something is stock and the engine is working hard (hard to describe), it sounds faster as I accelerate and it goes away once the water temp reaches the optimal level (80-100). Any ideas?

Lastly, finally, I have a rough idle, is that normal with these cars? I searched, but couldn't find anything on that note. (I haven't tested this after the oil change because it was done literally now, maybe that fixed it, dunno)

And how do you fold the side mirrors? (I didn't want to break them assuming they are powered.)

Other than that, one of the fastest cars I have ever owned and the best one of them all so far. Here are some pictures, oh and the car was in perfect condition as far as curb rashes (none) and dings (none), a little bit of paint chips, but not excessive and the interior is in perfect condition.
1. Good deal
2. Warranty is a must
3. That is your Supercharger engaging not the IC pump.
4. US cars don't have the H & S (it may be just programing I dk for sure)
5. A good habit is to check oil at every fill up, you did good adding oil.
6. Sounds like an idler/tensioner pulley may be going bad.
7. Put a few tanks of good fuel and techron through it, first.
8. Mirrors call MBNL to get them, US cars don't have them.
Welcome
Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
4. US cars don't have the H & S (it may be just programing I dk for sure)
Not sure about 2004, but my 2005 model has SBC-Hold.

It only starting working for me after my last brake pad replacement at the dealership (bought the car used and had no idea it had SBC-Hold). Maybe something they did during the brake job got it working.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Timeless
Not sure about 2004, but my 2005 model has SBC-Hold.

It only starting working for me after my last brake pad replacement at the dealership (bought the car used and had no idea it had SBC-Hold). Maybe something they did during the brake job got it working.
I wish I knew more about this cause, brake work requires STAR and I think hold is turned on / off in the SBC programing.
Timeless dose your SLOW work too?
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 AM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Why would they turn it off, it makes no sense. It's nothing that I would use very often (not that much traffic here), but when you go out with your coworkers, you can show them these cool features.

I am looking for small MOD ideas and I am open to any. For now, I'm thinking of getting a carbon fiber trunk lip as my car is black so it would look good. How much is an aftermarket grill and how hard is it to replace it DIY. Which one looks good?
Old 09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Hello everybody,

1. You have already spent the money, don't worry if you got a good deal.
2. Get a third party warranty. I got EasyCare and they have been easy to work with and my dealer is familiar with them. I've had three things covered under warranty and it has already paid itself off.
3. I agree with Yacht Master. It just sounds like your supercharger engaging. If you IC pump starts faltering, you won't exactly feel a sudden deceleration or anything like that, your car just won't feel so...umm...robust!
6. Sounds to me like your idler/tensioner pulley. I had this same thing when I first started up and the car was cold it squealed. It got better when the car warmed up (still heard it slightly, also under load), but it was still somewhat present. EasyCare warranty covered it!
7. Rough idle is not normal for these cars.
8. I'm not even sure you can fold the mirrors, at least not electronically/mechanically.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the E55!
Old 09-04-2009, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I wish I knew more about this cause, brake work requires STAR and I think hold is turned on / off in the SBC programing.
Not sure as I have never tried it...how do you engage that one?
Old 09-04-2009, 02:34 PM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
1. You have already spent the money, don't worry if you got a good deal.
2. Get a third party warranty. I got EasyCare and they have been easy to work with and my dealer is familiar with them. I've had three things covered under warranty and it has already paid itself off.
3. I agree with Yacht Master. It just sounds like your supercharger engaging. If you IC pump starts faltering, you won't exactly feel a sudden deceleration or anything like that, your car just won't feel so...umm...robust!
6. Sounds to me like your idler/tensioner pulley. I had this same thing when I first started up and the car was cold it squealed. It got better when the car warmed up (still heard it slightly, also under load), but it was still somewhat present. EasyCare warranty covered it!
7. Rough idle is not normal for these cars.
8. I'm not even sure you can fold the mirrors, at least not electronically/mechanically.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the E55!

Thanks, I know I will enjoy my ownership of this beast.

I just purchased the warranty for a 3-year (42K miles, everything including navigation system) plan with Enterprise Financial Group (sister company with Enterprise rent a car, therefore reliable) through AA Auto Warranty. I tried EasyCare, but they offered me the same coverage for 2 years 24K for $800 more, which made no sense to me, that's probably because it's got many miles, though, so it all worked out.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:39 PM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK

Nice Signature Video... That video is hilarious

I see you have many mods, do you have any advice for me?

The Kleeman stage 5 + headers + exhaust + and more ($20K worth) is on the long-time-from-now list , but I will do it! for now, just looks (less expensive), I want to enjoy the beast stock for a little while until I'm financially stable. Still in college so gotta put some money aside for that.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:57 PM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
Sweet.. Did you pickup the car or had it shipped back to VA? I was wondering because I'm looking to buy in CA and want to drive it back. My issue driving without license plates would probably be a problem.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:07 PM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Originally Posted by rluvsbenz
Sweet.. Did you pickup the car or had it shipped back to VA? I was wondering because I'm looking to buy in CA and want to drive it back. My issue driving without license plates would probably be a problem.
I drove back. took me 12 hours, but it flew by quickly cause I was testing the car and it is such a master piece for long trips like that. Go ahead and do it, I would do it again, but only if it's a really good deal.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:34 PM

2006 E55 Designo 1991 190E 2.3 2000 BMW 740i 1987 PORSHCE 928S4
I drove back. took me 12 hours, but it flew by quickly cause I was testing the car and it is such a master piece for long trips like that. Go ahead and do it, I would do it again, but only if it's a really good deal.
Do you have any license plates?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
Originally Posted by rluvsbenz
Do you have any license plates?
When you purchase a vehicle out of state, you can get a temp plate that will allow you to drive it back and register in your home state, just have proof of insurance and a bill of sale to take to the DMV in the state you purchased the car in.

Then you get to deal with the DMV in your home state, registration fees, taxes, and anything else they can pick your pockets for.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:31 AM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Originally Posted by X2Board
When you purchase a vehicle out of state, you can get a temp plate that will allow you to drive it back and register in your home state, just have proof of insurance and a bill of sale to take to the DMV in the state you purchased the car in.

Then you get to deal with the DMV in your home state, registration fees, taxes, and anything else they can pick your pockets for.

+1

Precisely.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:42 AM

2005 E55 & 2007 335iC
Mod idea: first thing for me is a heat exchanger...i'm in south florida and the temperature isn't going down now i know why people get h/e
Old 09-07-2009, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by azncantonw211
Mod idea: first thing for me is a heat exchanger...i'm in south florida and the temperature isn't going down now i know why people get h/e
Heat Exchanger is a must for 55k platform.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
until I'm financially stable. Still in college so gotta put some money aside for that.
I applaud you for wanting financial stability, but you own 3 fairly mundane cars (which could all be easily used daily) while you are still in college? Does that make sense?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:47 PM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Heat Exchanger is a must for 55k platform.
My car doesn't run that hot since it doesn't get that hot around here, but how much will it cost me to do this mod? Any performance gains since the engine would be running cooler, i assume?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 PM

2004 E55 AMG - STOCK
Originally Posted by Oliverk
I applaud you for wanting financial stability, but you own 3 fairly mundane cars (which could all be easily used daily) while you are still in college? Does that make sense?
That's just what's in my garage. those are not my cars per say, I drive them sometimes, but they aren't mine and I don't pay for them. I am not crazy enough to buy three German cars while in college... The only one I pay for is the beast. I see where you are coming from though and I respect that, I should mention that in my signature.

I have gotten a good job so I can afford the beast and I want to enjoy the madness of cars like the beast before I get married and all will become dreams because of kids and family. I enjoy it while it lasts
Old 02-22-2011, 05:49 PM

2006 CLS 55, 2005 Infiniti QX56, 1994 Softail Springer
Thanks, I know I will enjoy my ownership of this beast.

I just purchased the warranty for a 3-year (42K miles, everything including navigation system) plan with Enterprise Financial Group (sister company with Enterprise rent a car, therefore reliable) through AA Auto Warranty. I tried EasyCare, but they offered me the same coverage for 2 years 24K for $800 more, which made no sense to me, that's probably because it's got many miles, though, so it all worked out.
I apologize for jumping on an old thread, but I was curious to know if you ever utilized this warranty and if so, what are your thoughts on Enterprise Financial Group?