Sponsored by:

drove the 2010 e63. amazing car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by Twinreds
At risk of having all kinds of trash thrown at me, here it goes: these are all straight line cars, put them with much underpowered cars on a road course and they will only see license plates. Put an E55 or an E63 against something milder like a Porsche GT3 and you will be wiped off. No disrespect, I love my E63 and I'm sure the E55 can only be as exciting, but this cars are still lacking all the things that make a car a great sports car. They are a great combination of power and luxury for guys that cannot have every car they want. So keep bragging about how fast you can make the quarter mile, truth is, maybe even a Subaru WRX can beat our asses if we need to turn two corners.
cant be better said , Truth be told i just modded my car to keep in line with the faster cars in my class but if i wanted real speed i wouldve scooped a turbo porsche .

But 465hp to the wheels for my grocery getter is respectable and since im a sore loser the bottle is coming for sure lol !!!!
Old 09-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Twinreds
At risk of having all kinds of trash thrown at me, here it goes: these are all straight line cars, put them with much underpowered cars on a road course and they will only see license plates. Put an E55 or an E63 against something milder like a Porsche GT3 and you will be wiped off. No disrespect, I love my E63 and I'm sure the E55 can only be as exciting, but this cars are still lacking all the things that make a car a great sports car. They are a great combination of power and luxury for guys that cannot have every car they want. So keep bragging about how fast you can make the quarter mile, truth is, maybe even a Subaru WRX can beat our asses if we need to turn two corners.
Then I believe you miss understand what your car is for...
  • It is not meant to be a track car
  • It’s not meant to turn on a hair pin

However it does the following..
  • it does drive every where a normal car would with great comfort
  • it has a list of toys inside and out to make you feel good and happy to be in it
  • It is very fast for what it is a saloon luxury car, which puts some good sports cars to shame in a drag race

All in all it is an every day car (Work, shopping, fun time) with prestige...can you say that about the other cars?
Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
if a sponsor can make a better torque converter for our cars, then i won't even look at W212... :P
Old 09-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
GLK Matte Silver|MB Arts strut tower brace|MB Arts rear brace|Shaved door and bumper trim|K&N's|
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Well, who is going to spend $35-$40K on a STS for the E63?

Keep your 63 stock, buy a E55 mod it to 700 hp and spend less money, and have two reliable cars.
I mentioned the STS twin turbo kit because it is a universal setup that is easy to install and only needs a shop to tune it. With a base price of $2745.00 I am sure it is the best deal on the market for inexpensive hp/tq.

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems

Last edited by GLK4MATIC; 09-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by GLK4MATIC
I mentioned the STS twin turbo kit because it is a universal setup that is easy to install and only needs a shop to tune it. With a base price of $2745.00 I am sure it is the best deal on the market for inexpensive hp/tq.

http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_turbo_systems
I know that there was a thread on the 63STS but can't find it right now, but here is one of interest.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...-63s-m156.html

Not trying to start any kind of battle here, but like most things in life the first quote is never high enough to complete the job. To make the twin turbo work in a 63 the compression needs to be addressed, it is not just about hanging a turbo on. The 63 has been out 3 years and nobody has done any kind of turbo on it, my guess is $$$$$$$
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
I know that there was a thread on the 63STS but can't find it right now, but here is one of interest.

Not trying to start any kind of battle here, but like most things in life the first quote is never high enough to complete the job. To make the twin turbo work in a 63 the compression needs to be addressed, it is not just about hanging a turbo on. The 63 has been out 3 years and nobody has done any kind of turbo on it, my guess is $$$$$$$
it will cost more to lower the compression on the bottom end than buying the turbos and installing them .
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
ok guys before I get into the 2010 E63. I will start with the other cars I drove on the track that day.

The SL63 is a great car but by far the slowest and worst handling amg i drove that day. But then again it is the oldest and heaviest of the buch also.

The SLK 55 is alot of fun but the kind of car thats fun to drive for a week not to own for any time at all.

The C63 was the best balanced and funnest to drive amg of the bunch. But i kind of expected that. It didnt have that top end pull down the end of the strait the E63 had. The transmission was also no where near as good as the MCT in the E63. The C63 will definately be fastest around the track but will no way pull on a e63 in a strait line. Especially over 100mph. I only hit 115mph in the strait with the C and I hit over 120 with the E. Also the C63 was the only amg that day that was running hot. It even went into limp mode for a few minutes after running it hard and wouldnt go back to normal until the oil temp went down. I fell back and had to let the other cars pass me

I got lucky and took the CLK63 Black around the track also. Although the power is nothing special compared to the new E63 or My E55 in a strait line this car shines on the track. Driving this car after all the others on the track made me burst out laughing after one lap. I could not get the smile off my face. It felt like it had twice the grip of the other amgs and twice the braking. Car stuck like glue. truly amazing and made me a better driver than I am. This this is the closest thing amg makes to a real race car for the street.

Now for the E63. I wanna start by Saying that several things about this car really shocked me in a good way. .
1. Part of the day was drag racing and I raced a Clk63 black series 12 times in a row. I beat it 9 out of 12 and the three i lost were by maybe 3 feet. The only reason i lost was because the black got the jump.
On the street Ive never raced with my E55 or ever driven a black series but always thought stock for stock the E55 was supposed to be slower. Then When I saw the E63 spank it 9 times in a row i just couldnt explain it.

Does this mean the new E63 is faster than my E55 or is my E55 as fast as a Clk Black. Has any one here ever raced a stock clk black with a stock E55 or E63? Im curious to find out the out come.
The new E63 is very strong in a strait line. I think it is mainly due to the transmission and ESP. The new tranny and ESP set up is light years ahead of our car. The tranny shifts so fast and hard but smooth at the same time. The high revving 63 motor really needed a tranny like this to exploit its attributes.
The esp in sport plus is just perfect. All you do is floor it and it just takes off no wheel spin no traction control killing your launch just a perfect take off everysingle time. Its so easy to drag race this car there is no work invloved.
It felt like the car had a LSD in it. Does anyone know if this car comes stock with one. My car was not a P30 package and it felt like it had one.
What sold me on this car mainly is the new Esp and traction it has off the line. You cant even compare it to our cars. Totally different. I cant even expalin how much more advanced it is than our system.
The closest analogy I could think of was the traction control on my 1998 M3 VS the system on my 2007 M5. Its that much different.

2. The brakes are stronger too but more than that. The feel and feed back is better these things diddnt fade once and the peddle never got soft. My e55s brakes fade more on the highway at 155mph than these things did lap after lap of serious abuse. One car actually started smokin the pads and the brakes still were not fading. I couldnt believe it.

3. Now for the best part. The suspension. Where My E55 was obviously not designed to ever go around a track the E63 feels like it was made for the track. It was very close to the C63 and could easliy be pushed hard and never felt out of place.

The only way I can describe this car is that they took the best parts of the 211 E55/E63 and the best parts of an M5 and blended them together. Its still got the ***** grunt and flat out acceleration off the line the E55 has but now its handles a track like an M5.

Guys your gonna love this car. Im gettin and 2011 when its out.
As for the styling I personally liked it alot in person but thats a matter of personal taste so i wont comment.

Oh one more thing. When I started the E63 the first time I was shocked to here what was coming out of the Exhaust. It sounds better and louder then the 211 E63 for sure. The weirdest thing is I figured it would be the quiestest 63 there but after the black series it was actually the meanest sounding. When you revved it, it was really nasty sounding. Def louder than the SL and C.

If I forgot anything I will add on later. If you have any questions let me know.

One last thing I thought the interior fit and finish was very good for anyone worried about that.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Makes sense to me. The '10 212 sounds like a superior car to the E55 hands down, and even the 211 E63. Glad to hear MBZ hit the right spots and clearly improved the breed. Can't wait to drive one.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S

Brabus made one for the ML63 amd MTM ( in work with Kleemann ) did one also and showed it in Dubai with 800hp.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Ya the roof spec in most of the world is the roof must support 2000 lbs but China has 5000 lbs spec.
They also made the car a few inches longer in the rear leg room area too, and that to me is funny, cause I thought Germans were generally taller than the Chinese.
Roof??? MB std is that the roof of the car can withstand over 5x vehicle weight(could be even 8x) to defend deformation upon rollover. What are you talking about?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
So whats the scoop on the MCT transmission is it a double clutch unit or still auto slusher ?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Ya the roof spec in most of the world is the roof must support 2000 lbs but China has 5000 lbs spec.
That's dumb as $h!t!!!!!!! So you got what? A 4400lb car, but the roof only supports 2000lbs???? WTF happens if it flips over?

Sounds like China got it right (for once). Hey there may be poison in their baby formula, but at least they got safe cars, LOL
Old 09-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by stevebez
So whats the scoop on the MCT transmission is it a double clutch unit or still auto slusher ?
Its actually non of the above. It has no tourqe converter so its not a sluch box. Its not a double clutch like the Mdct either.
It only has one clutch and its a wet clutch. Its most like BMWs smg 3 but alot better. It operates like a full auto box very smooth but shifts as fast as SMG when you want it to. The double clutch is still faster and smother but not much