Sponsored by:

DIY front brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
DIY front brakes?

So it'll be time to change my brakes soon.
Instead of paying my dealer a bunch of money, i took the car for a quote at an independent local reputable shop.

they quote $92 for pads, $130x2 for rotors and $8x2 for sensors(all OEM Parts). Labor is $150.

The following thread had a ton of valuable information. I was consequently thinking of following some of the recommendations and just bring it to the shop for labor. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...questions.html

I've changed plenty of brakes in my life, but they were all domestic and none of them certainly as fancy as ours. I've searched for a DIY front brake tread but have been unsuccessful.
I searched the DIY thread and could find one there and the search function was just as fruitless.

Do you guys have any links to instructions? thanks.
Old 09-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
08 E 6point3-sold- 11 caddy cts-v-sold, 2012 E63 Palladium Silver
tech

I got a buddy that is a master tech at one of the southbay MB dealers that does work on the side. Pretty great prices compared to the dealers , let me know if you like his number
Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
thanks, i'd like to see what the job entails first.
anyone? can't believe there are no DIY threads on front brakes =(
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Nothing special. The only difference with normal brakes is the SBC. Many of us are carefulto either leave the key at a distance (especially with keyless go) or go ahead and unplug the battery. When you unlock and at other times, the computer goes through a brake check which makes the calipers pinch. Fingers can get smashed if you are playing with the caliper / pads and it happens.
As always, it is recommended to press your brake fluid once a year, so maybe during the install? If you want to just press them in, it works as well.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
It is not really a DIY job on SBC.
You need a STAR machine.
Can you hack a brake job on SBC? many indies do.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
You need a STAR machine.
How is it not a DIY? What do you "need" the STAR for? even the service menu is accessibile without it.
Not arguing with you because maybe I have just been lucky but I have taken my calipers / rotors / pads off a number of times on this and previous SBC cars with never an issue. I usually take it in and have the fluid changed (pressed out) after that which is still EXpENSIVE!!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
You need a STAR machine.
You don't need a STAR machine to do a brake job. For simply changing the brakes, you need to deactivate the SBC. There are inexpensive standalone tools to do this, or you can simply unplug the SBC control unit or disconnect the battery. You also can also do a decent bleed of the brake fluid using a Motive DIY bleeder tool. The only thing you truly need a STAR for is to do a complete brake fluid bleeding, since the STAR machine activates the various valves in the SBC control unit. But short of that, it's definitely not a "hack" job to change brake pad and discs on our cars and it's a straightforward DIY project for those so inclined.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by jangy
How is it not a DIY? What do you "need" the STAR for? even the service menu is accessibile without it.
Not arguing with you because maybe I have just been lucky but I have taken my calipers / rotors / pads off a number of times on this and previous SBC cars with never an issue. I usually take it in and have the fluid changed (pressed out) after that which is still EXpENSIVE!!
The STAR controls the SBC pump so that you can retract the pistons, defeat the auto adjust reset the counter and recalibrate the system for the new thicker pads and rotors, It is also necessary to have star to flush the brake fluid. No you were not lucky cause you had an idea of what not to do, and I don't want to spell out a "how to work around" But rather warn people that there is more to SBC than meets the eye. Jangy did you ever read the posts on the failures? I cant remember who did tests with SBC disconnected but you don't want any problems SBC. I'll see if I can find it and post it up here. BTW I love SBC.
FWIW Jangy has had more brake over temp alarms than this whole board combine and has had more rotors and various pads change outs than anybody, he has forgotten more about SBC than 95% of us will ever know he knows a few tricks.

Here, more reason to keep liability in the hands of Mercedes Benz. The SBC has had some issues and if you do your own work on you SBC brakes it could be a legal out for MB if any thing happens. This is just my opinion, you make your own decision on your brakes.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...e-failure.html

and

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...c-failure.html

Last edited by Yacht Master; 09-27-2009 at 11:45 PM.