Sponsored by:

Supercharger removal help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Supercharger removal help

I wanted to see if anyone has a DIY or have done it and could share any tips/tricks or special tools needed.
Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 05:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Not too difficult but you need an engine hoist if you are doing this by yourself or at least 2 guys to lift it out...

Set hood to vertical..
Need to remove ....
Air boxes
surge tanks
fuel injector ring
some small see through hoses that link up to the valves mentioned below
the two valves that look like pop off valves
the sc bolts which are torx bolts ( female) can't recall the size but I guess around e12.
Think that's pretty much it... O andof course the sc belt..!!
The main issue is lifting it off and out ... It's one heavy bit of kit.

Otherwise pretty straight forward...

Last edited by stevebez; 09-28-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
Originally Posted by stevebez
Not too difficult but you need an engine hoist if you are doing this by yourself or at least 2 guys to lift it out...

Set hood to vertical..
Need to remove ....
Air boxes
surge tanks
fuel injector ring
some small see through hoses that link up to the valves mentioned below
the two valves that look like pop off valves
the sc bolts which are torx bolts ( female) can't recall the size but I guess around e12.
Think that's pretty much it... O andof course the sc belt..!!
The main issue is lifting it off and out ... It's one heavy bit of kit.

Otherwise pretty straight forward...

I can't decide between these two smart-*** responses:

is that all the info you can supply?

or

why not just go over to his garage and do it for him?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by i_am_amused

or

I can offer two responses though...

Err yes off the top of my head...

and

Bit of a commute ... I am in the UK.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by i_am_amused

or

I'm i missing somthing? Why would you put this comment in my thread? Are you two good friends and thats somehow funny? If you to are looking to do a supercharger removal and his instruction seem out of reach i would suggest paying to have this done. The info provided is exactly what i was looking for and thank you for posting useful information.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
I'm i missing somthing? Why would you put this comment in my thread? Are you two good friends and thats somehow funny? If you to are looking to do a supercharger removal and his instruction seem out of reach i would suggest paying to have this done. The info provided is exactly what i was looking for and thank you for posting useful information.
It was a joke. Relax. You got your answer, or are at least on your way. In short. It is pretty much of a DIY if you are comfy in a motor bay. The SC is heavy. Having the lift makes it a much smoother task. I have even seen some just use an engine hoist and install the TB right on the car by just tilting the SC.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
I would just add, you should probably clean the engine a day or two before removing the s/c to avoid any debris from falling in there.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The info provided is exactly what i was looking for and thank you for posting useful information.
No probs... why are you removing it ... TB install?

If you plan on fitting the TB with S/C tilted - you could be in for a tough time ... if you had gone that far to loosen it etc may as well pull it out. It is not very comfortable that far back in the centre of the engine bay.

One tip on refitting the S/C get some thin firm plastic tubes / rods about 6" long that fits in bolt holes, slide gaskets and S/C over this "guides" and this makes mating the S/C and gaskets much easier.... when everything seated just pull the plastic bits out and replace with bolts. Two at the back and two at the front worked a treat - will save you a ton of time lining the gaskets and S/C up otherwise.

To save your hands and give you some space remove the radiator fan - pretty straight forward...

Also obviously if u pull the S/C you will need to remove the coolant connections... this may be the only reason trying to do TB work in situ.

May as well fit some S/C phenolics ... the stainless steel bolts that come woith the kit are worth it on their own!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Is there anything that i would want done to the SC while off?

Also, what about the intake manifolds? Can I have them ported a hair?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
are we removing the intercooler?
Old 09-28-2009, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by jangy
It was a joke. Relax. You got your answer, or are at least on your way.
+1 Jangy. Sneekyneon, You should be lucky to have a network of bright people that are even willing to answer your questions. Take that negative and condescending attitude elsewhere.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Max.H
+1 Jangy. Sneekyneon, You should be lucky to have a network of bright people that are even willing to answer your questions. Take that negative and condescending attitude elsewhere.
How am I wrong? I ask for help and I get it. So the next post is pure troll type crap, With absolutely nothing useful but negative off topic self proclaimed smart *** comment. YOU ARE RIGHT, I(we) are lucky to have a network of bright people that are willing to help, and to those people I give props. There are threads and places for joking and teasing but a thread asking for help hardly seems the right place. I ask you this, why did you open this thread? was it to find useful information about removing the supercharger or was it to find a reason to post yet another comment about your feelings. I come here to meet like minded enthusiast that enjoy there cars. So now that we have filled yet another thread with "Internet drama" and steered it off course from what it was intended. Thank you.
Nicholas
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by jangy
Is there anything that i would want done to the SC while off?

Also, what about the intake manifolds? Can I have them ported a hair?
Porting/polishing can be done in the surge tank area with out removing the SC and I feel there are noticable gains if done properly,I have some photo's of mine somewere. If removing the SC there are gains to be had in port matching and smoothing out the rough casting. If you have limited experience porting I would stick with just blending and polishing because cause improper porting can be counter productive.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 PM

e55
Porting/polishing can be done in the surge tank area with out removing the SC and I feel there are noticable gains if done properly,I have some photo's of mine somewere. If removing the SC there are gains to be had in port matching and smoothing out the rough casting. If you have limited experience porting I would stick with just blending and polishing because cause improper porting can be counter productive.
what r u doing now ? that poor car lol ...
Old 09-28-2009, 08:40 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by stevebez
No probs... why are you removing it ... TB install?

If you plan on fitting the TB with S/C tilted - you could be in for a tough time ... if you had gone that far to loosen it etc may as well pull it out. It is not very comfortable that far back in the centre of the engine bay.

One tip on refitting the S/C get some thin firm plastic tubes / rods about 6" long that fits in bolt holes, slide gaskets and S/C over this "guides" and this makes mating the S/C and gaskets much easier.... when everything seated just pull the plastic bits out and replace with bolts. Two at the back and two at the front worked a treat - will save you a ton of time lining the gaskets and S/C up otherwise.

To save your hands and give you some space remove the radiator fan - pretty straight forward...

Also obviously if u pull the S/C you will need to remove the coolant connections... this may be the only reason trying to do TB work in situ.

May as well fit some S/C phenolics ... the stainless steel bolts that come woith the kit are worth it on their own!!!
I am doing a budget TB upgrade, I can get 82mm Bosch for 100.00 figure another 100.00 in machine work,I can tig the rest. I figure maybe 300 to 400 total? Wile the SC is off I'm going to do some "flow improvement"
Old 09-28-2009, 08:45 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by vinnyz
what r u doing now ? that poor car lol ...
Just making plans and dreaming. Try to find some free HP here and there.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
I am doing a budget TB upgrade, I can get 82mm Bosch for 100.00 figure another 100.00 in machine work,I can tig the rest. I figure maybe 300 to 400 total? Wile the SC is off I'm going to do some "flow improvement"
Are you sure those "82mm Bosch for $100" will work with the E55? I'm in the same boat as you.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Are you sure those "82mm Bosch for $100" will work with the E55? I'm in the same boat as you.
absolutly not, lol. Just taking a chance.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Fast fact: TB , super charger and intercooler weights 69lbs
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM

2006 Mercedes E55
Okay..... I keep reading this as it drags on an on and keep thining this must be a joke.

But to be serious I am not sure.

There are a couple of us here in the northwest and Vancouver that know sneakyneon personally as he has done a lot to try build up the mercedes community including organizing get togethers where he even paid for the food.

He is the nicest guy who will go out of his way to offer help and lend an hand if needed.

So not sure why all the hate. Know the person personally before making it personal is what I say.

After all we are all here to learn and share knowledge as we all are addicted to these awesome cars. Not sure what the point of the continual abuse is about.

And sneakyneons car is fast.... there are many of use that can speak to this in person. So his mods can't be half bad. Just cause they didn't cost top dollar doesn't mean they are crap.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Bellevue_E55
Okay..... I keep reading this as it drags on an on and keep thining this must be a joke.

But to be serious I am not sure.

There are a couple of us here in the northwest and Vancouver that know sneakyneon personally as he has done a lot to try build up the mercedes community including organizing get togethers where he even paid for the food.

He is the nicest guy who will go out of his way to offer help and lend an hand if needed.

So not sure why all the hate. Know the person personally before making it personal is what I say.

After all we are all here to learn and share knowledge as we all are addicted to these awesome cars. Not sure what the point of the continual abuse is about.

And sneakyneons car is fast.... there are many of use that can speak to this in person. So his mods can't be half bad. Just cause they didn't cost top dollar doesn't mean they are crap.
Bellevue E55,

I hear what you are saying. Trust me there is absolutely no hate here. Life is too short to be angry over silly things. This is pure amusement. I'm sure for the folks at home too. I laughed so hard today I actually shed a few tears and now my face hurts.

I don't give warning shots. If you read the thread you can see where I attempted to let Nicholas know he doesn't have to snap at people. Especially, after he got his help. That shows his character and a severe lack of respect for the community.

You saw what his actions started. His plan failed miserably so he tried anything to save face. Making up a fake screen name to try and talk like a billy bad ***. All the while he tries to keep his screen name all nice and diplomatic Sorry pal, that crap stinks up this place and will not be tolerated. Be yourself and just enjoy the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and a lot cool people here. Don't abuse it.

The bottom line is that the TRUTH is out. You can be his friend all you want. But, he will not get my respect or from others I know until he comes forth and fesses up for his crimes like a real man.

Furthermore. I applaud the fact that you wanted to share your experiences with sneekyneon. For that, I will call a temporary cease fire. My keyboard has been going off like a 30mm chain gun and hellfire rockets like that of the AH-64D Apache LONGBOW. Beware, it's still on high alert though.

Max-

Sneekyneon aka Nicholas aka theCollector and whoever else you want to be. The ball is in your court.

Last edited by Max.H; 10-01-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Max.H
For example, take your booger welded shorty headers that you tried to PAWN off to members here for like $950. Are you sure those are stainless steel or is it mild steel? What happened when I asked you why your are selling?? Quite as a mouse... Very suspect.
Here's the original owner posting those very same headers: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...y-headers.html
They definitely are not mild steel. His price was fair considering they were cleaned up and coated by Performance Coatings Inc. I was interested in buying these, but passed.
Why were you questioning his reason for selling if you were not interested in picking them up for yourself? Now that is suspect!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
sneekyneon and TheCollector share no IP addresses, FYI.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
Remove Compressor, Install

Remove/Install

DANGER:

Risk of death. Death may result if vehicle slips or topples from the lifting platform.
Align vehicle between the columns of the hydraulic hoist and position the four support plates below the hoist support points specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
Risk of explosion from fuel igniting, risk of poisoning from inhaling and swallowing fuel as well as risk of injury to eyes and skin from contact with fuel.
No fire, sparks, naked flames or smoking.
Pour fuels only into suitable and appropriately marked containers.
Wear protective clothing when handling fuel.
1 Remove top engine cover (1)
2 Remove air cleaner housing (2) together with the two corrugated hoses and the intake lines
3.1 Activate the service mode in the TELE AID call system emergency call system

NOTE: Only with code 347, 855.

DANGER:

Risk of explosion from explosive gas. Risk of poisoning and caustic burns from swallowing battery electrolyte. Risk of injury through burns to skin and eyes from battery acid or when handling damaged lead-acid batteries
No fire, sparks, naked flames or smoking.
Wear protective gloves, acid-resistant clothing and safety glasses. Pour battery electrolyte only into suitable and appropriately marked containers.
4 Disconnect ground cable of battery

NOTE:

Turn key in electronic ignition switch EIS into position "0". Key cannot be withdrawn.
Vehicle fitted with code (889) Keyless-Go: Switch off engine, remove Keyless Go cards from the vehicle and keep outside the range of the transmitter.
Installation: Read out fault memory after connecting, adjust time display on combination instrument, code radio, normalize power window and activate steering angle sensor.
Vehicles with stationary heater: adjust time display on stationary heater.
5 Remove top charge air distributor (110/6)
6 Remove aluminium distribution pipe (3) for secondary air injection
7.1 Remove/Install poly V-belt of compressor
8.2 Remove poly V-belt
9 Release fuel pressure through service valve (1/1)

NOTE: Collect fuel.

Pressure hose: See Special Tools below.
10 Unbolt feed line (17/2)of fuel rail (17)

NOTE: Collect fuel.

- Fuel feed line to fuel distributor, Engine 113.992/990/991 AMG = 38 Nm
Engine 112.960/961 AMG = 35 Nm

Set of plugs: See Special Tools below.
11 Disconnect electrical connector at fuel injection valves (Y62)

NOTE: Press together security catches.

12 Dismount bolts of fuel distributor rail (17)

Bolt of fuel rail to bottom part of charge air distributor = 9 Nm
13 Remove fuel distributor rail (17) including injection valves from bottom charge air distributor (110/8) toward top

NOTE: Inspect O-rings for damage. Oil O-rings.

14 Detach grey vacuum line at rubber hose

NOTE: Installation: First of all coat grey vacuum line with rubber assembly lubricant.

15 Unplug connector of throttle valve actuator (M16/6)
16 Unplug connector of charge air pressure sensor (B28/8)
17 Unplug connector of charge air temperature sensor (B17/8)
18 Unplug plug from mechanical supercharger magnetic clutch (Y2/1)

CAUTION: Carefully unplug plug, because the plug housing at the mechanical supercharger magnetic clutch can be damaged.

19 Detach rear vacuum line at intake manifold
20 Remove bottom engine compartment paneling

DANGER:

Risk of injury to skin and eyes suffering scalding from contact with hot coolant spray. Risk of poisoning from swallowing coolant.
Do not open cooling system unless coolant temperature is below 90 °C. Open cap slowly and release the pressure. Do not pour coolant into beverage bottles. Wear protective gloves, protective clothing and eye protection.
21 Drain coolant at radiator
22 Detach coolant hoses (4) at aluminium pipes (5) from charge air cooler (110/2)
23 Unscrew bolts of bottom charge air distributor (110/8)

Bolt of bottom part of charge air distributor to cylinder head
Engine 113.992/987/990/991 = 20 Nm
Engine 112.960/ 961 AMG = 23 Nm
24 Bolt bracket to supercharger

Bracket: See Special Tools below.
25 Attach engine hoist to lifting eye of bracket

See Commercially Available Tools below.
26 Lift out supercharger (50) together with charge air cooler (110/2) and bottom charge air distributor (110/8)
27 Unbolt supercharger (50) from charge air cooler (110/2)

Bolt of supercharger to charge air cooler = 20 Nm
28 Install in the reverse order
29 Inspect cooling system for leaks
30.1 Deactivate service mode in TELE AID emergency call system

NOTE: Only with code 347, 855.

31 Connect STAR DIAGNOSIS and read out fault memory
32 Render electrical system operational
Old 09-30-2009, 02:23 PM

Bicycle
Prodigymb, Thanks for that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger removal help