W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star Diagnostic How To DIY with lots o pics

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-24-2015, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 80 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2006 CLS63, 2004 ML55, 2014 E350 sport
^^Praise the lord!

This sort of BS pisses me off Mack is way way out of line with some of his comments on the previous page.

If only people with ECU tuning knowledge would also do this on this platform.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
This thread looks like it derailed from its original purpose. I've been very familiar with BMW's INPA/NCS Expert for years with my V12s, and over the last year I've learned quite a bit about Mercedes Xentry. There's nothing magical about it, or developer mode if you read German but you can screw things up severely. You rarely, if ever, need to go into developer mode to do most "mods" if you have offline programming enabled. I run a real STAR C4, but there's numerous chinese companies that sell multiplexors of quality. Read reviews. Most of the chipsets or boards used are manufacturered in china anyway, even in the real Mercedes systems.

Mack is helpful in some respects to people ... I've talked to him on other forums attempting to diagnosis certain issues, and he and I are on the same technical forum for Xentry which I assume is where most of his information comes from. The problem is Mack keeps a lot of information close to the vest, likely because he makes a business out of it, which is contrary to the purpose of these forums. I remember him asking me for an 06 firmware version for NTG1 which I sent, then not responding when I asked him for his "08" version he supposedly received from his "friend" at Harman/Becker... when in reality it came from MHH, and where I received mine from in the same thread he downloaded it.

Selling Xentry and multiplexors is very illegal though, by the way. You shouldn't **** people off when you're doing that on a very public forum.

But since Mack is being a tool in this latest series of posts, and I'm relatively new here vs Benzworld, I'm happy to tell anyone how to do the following mods through Xentry for free. Just PM me.

When I get the chance, I'll do write ups by section. It's not magic. It's just knowledge. Share it.
Well said. I've been working with XENTRY for more than 6 years and I do speak German (I have a summer home in Germany) which is really necessary when working in developer mode, but I will always share whatever knowledge I have with anyone at anytime. That's what we are supposed to be all about here.
The following 2 users liked this post by AgSilver:
CLKx430 (03-05-2020), Vmax_ (10-31-2023)
Old 08-24-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm your huckleberry
Originally Posted by equitiesguy
...There's nothing magical about it, or developer mode if you read German but you can screw things up severely. You rarely, if ever, need to go into developer mode to do most "mods" if you have offline programming enabled. I run a real STAR C4, but there's numerous chinese companies that sell multiplexors of quality. Read reviews. Most of the chipsets or boards used are manufacturered in china anyway, even in the real Mercedes systems.

...But since Mack is being a tool in this latest series of posts, and I'm relatively new here vs Benzworld, I'm happy to tell anyone how to do the following mods through Xentry for free. Just PM me.
Excellent post and excellent points, and thanks.

I presume Google Translate is not much help with Developer Mode because of the specialized terms? Just curious...
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Not sure why you have to copy my stuff from my website and post it here. I never said it's impossible. All I'm saying is you can screw things up and I had people before coming in for help. I do t know how many times I said it. Probably 3 x just on the last page here.

No my knowledge is not from other forums. The knowledge I have (how to use it) came from trial and error and I messed up stuff too on my own cars and paid for it. So why should I give this knowledge out for free? Xentry is old and with SCN in place most Developer stuff is gone. Latest versions this year don't even have developer functions anymore. I don't even use Xentry when retrofitting options. Other better tools are available for it. So everyone who keeps updating their systems are SOL. If you don't have a dealer login you can't program or even flash ECUs anymore. Some people think certain fixes do it but really they don't. And if you're not sure what they do then how do you know they don't case any damage? So what's the point of talking about developer anymore if it's gone?

Have you ever seen people like Steve or Miro or Sun... Giving out stuff for fre? I haven't. As a matter of fact Steve is so secretive over SD that he gave misleading and dangerous hints to people who asked him for help with their SD. There are a bunch of people I helped and will continue help for free simply bc they give back their knowledge. And if people ask in PMs I help as well with SD questions.

Yes 2008 NTG1 update came from my friend and not some forum. If it's there good for you guys. I didn't post it there and never will. And I never saw it there. But I never looked either.

I can't remember that I asked you for 30/06 ever. If I did get it from you it might have been for a different car than W211. The reason I don't post it anywhere is simply the fact that it was never released by MB. 30/06 was the last update officially released by MB. I have it running in mine and a few other cars. That's it.

I only **** people off when I don't tell them what they want to hear or if they hear the truth about something. How come that so many people are greatfull and only a hand full have to complain all the time. Why don't some of you simply try it nicely? Some ask me for tutorials and I didn't turn them down either.

And last but not least: I don't just have 7 posts or so. I give a lot of help and information here and in other forums. Primarily technical stuff that is way beyond an owners manual or mechanic's knowledge.

But I think it's time to say good bye to this thread. Haters and disgruntled people.

Last edited by Mackhack; 08-24-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 2012 M156
Great to see this thread getting its feet back on the ground!

I too come from a BMW INPA/NCS Expert background and it was a real surprise to see how guarded folks were on the MB equivalents.

equitiesguy, very much looking forward to what ever you manage to put together.

I have a 2012 C63 and mainly looking for software updates.

I have been chatting with the guys that sell this:
http://www.cnautotool.com/goods-3183...Fi+201507.html

They say that they can do offline coding without SCN access for their 2014.12 software version for my 2012 but not with their 2015.8. Does this seem plausible? I have had conflicting opinions on this.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Banned

There is a difference between offline coding and offline programming.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Mack's right on that. Offline programming is relatively easy on any module that doesn't require SCN.

The better question is, what modules are you trying to program to newer versions and why?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:23 AM

C63 2012 M156
Thanks for the follow up equitiesguy are you a trader per chance?

I didn't know that some modules are SCN locked and other aren't. Thanks for that.

Without a full map of a 2012 C63 modules I am a bit in the dark on which modules I may be wanting to update.

Why is a good question. I would like to confirm that my TCU is up-to-date as I understand there have been measurable improvements in the software here.

I am about to apply a EC tune but before I do I would like to upgrade the ECU to the latest version.

Coming from an IT background I know that it can be best to find a particular version of code that has the features you need and is the most stable with the least known bugs that you are likely to hit so latest is not always best especially if using an early deployment or tech train. That said would I be right in assuming that most of the updates for the M156 2012 cars and the MCT trans are mainly refinements and bug fixes by now?

I would be interested in a list of modules, opinions on upgrades, which ones to leave well alone, which ones seem to upgrade reliably.

Now here is the catch. Mine is a Japanese version that has had the NTG 4.5 converted to ECE and New Zealand maps added. So I am guessing all the Comand modules are out for a start?

I am I on the right track?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

Go to your dealership, drop 10 bucks for coffee and ask them to check if it has the latest versions. They will update it. Most stealers here don't mind and I bet they will do it there too. If not at least you know what modules are out of date.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Missionary
Thanks for the follow up equitiesguy are you a trader per chance?

I didn't know that some modules are SCN locked and other aren't. Thanks for that.

Without a full map of a 2012 C63 modules I am a bit in the dark on which modules I may be wanting to update.

Why is a good question. I would like to confirm that my TCU is up-to-date as I understand there have been measurable improvements in the software here.

I am about to apply a EC tune but before I do I would like to upgrade the ECU to the latest version.

Coming from an IT background I know that it can be best to find a particular version of code that has the features you need and is the most stable with the least known bugs that you are likely to hit so latest is not always best especially if using an early deployment or tech train. That said would I be right in assuming that most of the updates for the M156 2012 cars and the MCT trans are mainly refinements and bug fixes by now?

I would be interested in a list of modules, opinions on upgrades, which ones to leave well alone, which ones seem to upgrade reliably.

Now here is the catch. Mine is a Japanese version that has had the NTG 4.5 converted to ECE and New Zealand maps added. So I am guessing all the Comand modules are out for a start?

I am I on the right track?

Yes, and no. Mack's suggestion isn't a bad one, but my experience is most dealers won't update your programming for free, from a liability reason alone. Mercedes Benz of San Diego might --- I remember that particular dealer when I lived in La Jolla and they're pretty decent. That was years ago though.

Let's start from the start... Do a quick test on STAR, with expanded details. It will give you the hardware version, and software version of every module in your car (and the full list of modules in your car). As an IT person, that's what you're looking for to figure out where you want to go.

Yes, I trade equities and treasuries.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

What is LSD if not drugs? You have a 2013 car so pretty much anything you're asking here and in emails and PMs is SCN. Even in old 2002 versions there were SCN routines implemented already but it was easier to circumvent it.

Why not simy stopping by your trusted dealer? If they deny for liabity easily ask to get the Customer Complaint Authorization from to sign. Therefore you release them from any liability bc of your wishes.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 AM
Banned

I have updated without SCN:
- TCU before I replaced it with a Used one from eBay that I got flashed by Renntech Germany to remove the torque limiter.
- AGW
- Driver Seat Control Unit
- Power Trunk Close Control Unit
- Battery Control Unit

And a few other ones. It was a total of 11 on the E320 and 12 on the E55.

SCN required for TV Tuner and Distronic. I never checked the ECU. If this one gets bricked you're looking at around 4-5k USD plus it is a theft relevant part and needs to be coded through MB. Not worth it.

Last edited by Mackhack; 08-25-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 PM

C63 2012 M156
I will be asking the dealers for exactly that even if just to determine the value of an after market Star system. None of the dealers here are what I would call trusted as yet, unforch. And I am somewhat concerned that they may update my Comand related modules and revert the Japanese to ECE conversion if the request gets lost in translation.

Mack, LSD stands for a Limited Slip Differential. When you retrofit one you are best to activate option 471 to reduce the sensitivity of the ESC to rear wheel slip and stop the car applying brakes on launch and corner exit.

A tuned or even standard C63 without an LSD is like Ken Kesey without the same.

The car is 2012 rather than 2013 NTG 4.5 rather than 4.7, I believe. Not sure on the relevance of that to SCN.

I have no major concerns flashing the ECU. I will be doing that a number of times via the MyGenius handheld unit for the EuroCharged tune I will be installing.

And yes lets keep the discussion alive here rather than PM.

Now what I would like to understand, if we are sure of the answers is;

Essentially I am also trying to evaluate what exactly I am going to be able to do, if anything, with my car on an offline after market Star system.
      Old 08-25-2015, 04:18 PM
      Banned

Thanks for clarifying the term. I bet it's SCN. I could do it without SCN but you have only advantages doing it the proper way through SCN. It will show up on your data card. That being said, it makes your car's inventory complete and any changes are officially documented for a variety of reasons. 2012 or 2013 makes no difference.

About your radio issue: Dealer once updated my radio without permission and ****ed it up. It was an ECE COMAND. Bricked. They claimed it wasn't their fault and it was defective before they touched it. Took me weeks to get them to pay me $$$ for a new one.

About the list of what control modules require SCN: assume every control module since your car is that new.

To avoid it ask them to not mess with your COMAND or make lots of print outs from all possible setting screens in case they do mess up.

I don't care about you sending me emails or PMs. Whatever is fine with you is fine with me.

Last edited by Mackhack; 08-25-2015 at 04:20 PM.
      Old 08-25-2015, 11:51 PM
      MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
      2004 E55
      Originally Posted by Missionary
      Mack, LSD stands for a Limited Slip Differential. When you retrofit one you are best to activate option 471 to reduce the sensitivity of the ESC to rear wheel slip and stop the car applying brakes on launch and corner exit.

Hold on for a second..... is their an option 471 for the E55? also is their a way to code the traction control that it's in a CLS for those of use that swapped to the faster rack?

Thanks!
      Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 AM
      Banned

Im not missionary but this does sound interesting. If it's possible, it's most likely SCN coding. If someone can confirm it, I'll check.
      Old 08-26-2015, 06:34 AM

C63 2012 M156
      Originally Posted by Mackhack
      I bet it's SCN, I could do it without SCN
      Now that has my attention. I was under the impression that SCN coding was not possible with out access to the MB data bases online?

I would like to bottom out on this one if possible.
      Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 AM
      Banned

Research first.
      Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 PM
      Banned

It is hardware and only available through AMG directly. Nothin needs to be activated or coded. Research reveled it's a very expensive piece and hence not important for me to do any more research on it.

Anyone else feel free to chime in about it.
      Old 08-26-2015, 03:50 PM

C63 2012 M156
      It is hardware and only available through AMG directly. Nothin needs to be activated or coded. Research reveled it's a very expensive piece and hence not important for me to do any more research on it.
      Quaife and Wavetrac geared LSDs are around 1k and perform better that the loosely set AMG clutches LSDs made by Drexler. In fact folk often replace standard AMG LSDs with one of the geared LSDs. I am installing a Quaife in mine.

I spoke to a couple of Weistec dealers Australia including the tech that has built the fastest N/A and forced C63s there. He had done over 80 LSD retrofits as well and tracked on both the Quaifes and WaveTracs.

He said that the coding to activate 471 (LSD) does not require SCN and does reduce the sensitivity of the traction control and helps stop brakes being applied on launch.

Is this correct for all 2007 - 2014 W204s or just for some of them?
      Old 08-26-2015, 05:33 PM
      MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
      Mercedes
      Star Diagnostic How To DIY with lots o pics

How do you apply the programming for option 471? I assume this would be some developer menu somewhere?
      Old 08-26-2015, 06:22 PM
      MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
      2004 E55

Anyone else feel free to chime in about it.
      Quakes are not that expensive. I have one in my E55, can the 471 coding be done on a W211 E55?
      Old 08-26-2015, 06:31 PM
      Banned

According to my source this option is hardware and doesn't need to be coded. I haven't had the chance to look closer into this. If you have it installed already in your E55 you should have it available already, no?
      Old 08-26-2015, 06:38 PM
      MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
      Mercedes
      According to my source this option is hardware and doesn't need to be coded. I haven't had the chance to look closer into this. If you have it installed already in your E55 you should have it available already, no?
      Yes, the mechanical diff will work without any coding required. But the question is how do you enable the 471 programming, so the traction control behaves better.
      Old 08-26-2015, 07:02 PM
      Banned

Originally Posted by JoeNobody
      Yes, the mechanical diff will work without any coding required. But the question is how do you enable the 471 programming, so the traction control behaves better.
      Unless there is a completely different TCU for these differentials there is nothing that can be coded. Since I don't have such a differential in any readily available cars I won't be able to double check. But I doubt there is its own TCU made just for these differentials. And te TCU really doesn't have anything worth coding in terms of cool/better/worthless settings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Star Diagnostic How To DIY with lots o pics