W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A COUPLE OF THINGS FOR THE TUNERS OUT THERE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
A COUPLE OF THINGS FOR THE TUNERS OUT THERE!

As I was looking over my car this weekend trying to figure out how to get some more speed out of it I started thinking and tuners please respond or anyone that may know more than I do.

I know Jangy has been working on this but can you guys (tuners) develope or find a company that can make a smaller but thicker radiator to allow for a CAI kit in its full form to pass through the radiator support?

Also, someone chime in if they know where I'm going. Is there a way to re-route the fuel line to pass through the cooling box mounted in the trunk? The idea is that you want the fuel as cold as possible before it reaches the induction system. It is my understanding that by doing this you will achieve a NOS type of reaction with the fuel being cold!

Some SCCA racers will show up to the track with an empty tank and then mix dry ice in seperate containers with their fuel.

any thoughts?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Some SCCA racers will show up to the track with an empty tank and then mix dry ice in seperate containers with their fuel.

any thoughts?
You better have one DAMM good dyno tuner to get ANY gains from this my friend. YES you get a little HP from cooler fuel, but the results are VERY small, and I have NEVER seen anyone go through all the hassle to try and get that extra 1%. You would have to jet a carb about .001 different to see ANY gains, or have one heck of a good fine ECU tune.

PS: When was the last time you saw any dragger do this

If there were REAL gains, THIS is where you would see it as it is EASY to chill it for 8 seconds, NOT so easy for 30 minutes.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-17-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63, 997 TT, M3 DCT
dude do some homework!!!!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by usmankhan355
dude do some homework!!!!
this is how new idea's come about, you throw somethings at the wall and see what sticks, some of things wont stick at all and some will make you go hmmm. I can almost bet that the rear cooling box came from a hmmm I wonder what would happen if we seperate the systems and put a cooling box in the trunk.

I only mention running the lines through something to cool it because mixing dry ice & fuel can be messy/dangerous.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Also, someone chime in if they know where I'm going. Is there a way to re-route the fuel line to pass through the cooling box mounted in the trunk?
This practice works best on carbureted engines because the fuel flow is much slower than an EFI system.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Bicycle
Originally Posted by msheredy
This practice works best on carbureted engines because the fuel flow is much slower than an EFI system.
+1
Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
As far as intakes, why couldn't you just use silicone hoses with cone filters up front. Use a heat shield to keep it guarded from the engine and your set. You don't need it to be up in front being that it's forced induction do you?

Simple enough I would think.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Luke_M
As far as intakes, why couldn't you just use silicone hoses with cone filters up front. Use a heat shield to keep it guarded from the engine and your set. You don't need it to be up in front being that it's forced induction do you?

Simple enough I would think.
You need cool air flowing into our intake system, if your IAT's get real high then your performance will suffer. Our engine compartments are so tightly sealed that even with heat shield it will not help. The holes in the radiator support are so small that if you were to open up the holes you would be able to run 3" intake tubes from the cones to throttle body.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
i think the old e55 has a ac coil threw the gas line and cools the gas in the summer.It also has a heater coil in the washer fluid to keep it hot in the winter so it melts the ice once you spray it on the windshield
Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Funny that you metion this. Last Thursday I met up with my friend, he's own a speed shop here in Columbus, Oh, and we talked about the same issue with the intake. He does have some connection with Visteon, so making the radiator is doable. Just wondering what kinda price range are we willing to pay for an aftermarket radiator when we don't really need to upgrade.

As far as your fuel cooling need, last time I checked the Jeg's catalog, they have a little can that have the fuel line coiled inside. You can buy that can and splice it into the fuel system. Just add ice when you get to the track.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

shrimp boat
Oh yeah, my friend actually made a version of the VRP fang intake for a local guy (his screen name here is gangsterbenz, i think). In that version, he did not use any air filter, just window screen at the end ot the pipes. Work fine, but a little ghetto.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:54 PM

You need cool air flowing into our intake system, if your IAT's get real high then your performance will suffer. Our engine compartments are so tightly sealed that even with heat shield it will not help. The holes in the radiator support are so small that if you were to open up the holes you would be able to run 3" intake tubes from the cones to throttle body.
I didn't think about the engine compartment being sealed up. Good point.

I'm not fully convinced that the tempature of the air coming from that setup would be that much higher then the existing holes. At 60mph there is a butt load of fresh air coming in from the grill etc. See what I mean? I haven't looked at it in depth though.

Either way I don't think you'd be looking to gain much power over the original setup. 10-15? Dual intercoolers is where it's at.

Becool has many different radiator setups. Range in price from $500 to almost $1,000. Quick search online shows stock is around $600 and 25.2 in. x 18.1 in. x 1.6 in. core size. I have no clue if there would be any compatibility issues though as far as materials etc. Aluminum radiators should be fine though. Just thinking out loud
Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Luke_M
Becool has many different radiator setups. Range in price from $500 to almost $1,000. Quick search online shows stock is around $600 and 25.2 in. x 18.1 in. x 1.6 in. core size. I have no clue if there would be any compatibility issues though as far as materials etc. Aluminum radiators should be fine though. Just thinking out loud
Does anyone know the size of our radiators?
Old 11-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
As I was looking over my car this weekend trying to figure out how to get some more speed out of it I started thinking and tuners please respond or anyone that may know more than I do.

I know Jangy has been working on this but can you guys (tuners) develope or find a company that can make a smaller but thicker radiator to allow for a CAI kit in its full form to pass through the radiator support?

Also, someone chime in if they know where I'm going. Is there a way to re-route the fuel line to pass through the cooling box mounted in the trunk? The idea is that you want the fuel as cold as possible before it reaches the induction system. It is my understanding that by doing this you will achieve a NOS type of reaction with the fuel being cold!

any thoughts?

Dont let the clueless and uninformed sway you away from your goal. You are 100% Correct. any forced indicted engine will benefit greatly from ingesting ambient air. A denser charge, less chance of pre-ignition detonation, more timing and more power.

These guys can make any rad in any size or configuration.

http://www.macsradiator.com/customradiators-1.aspx
Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Funny that you metion this. Last Thursday I met up with my friend, he's own a speed shop here in Columbus, Oh, and we talked about the same issue with the intake. He does have some connection with Visteon, so making the radiator is doable. Just wondering what kinda price range are we willing to pay for an aftermarket radiator when we don't really need to upgrade.

As far as your fuel cooling need, last time I checked the Jeg's catalog, they have a little can that have the fuel line coiled inside. You can buy that can and splice it into the fuel system. Just add ice when you get to the track.
Yep, that was Josh. He sold the car and the fangs looked great for $200. Who is your speed shop here in town?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

shrimp boat
Originally Posted by emoving
Yep, that was Josh. He sold the car and the fangs looked great for $200. Who is your speed shop here in town?
Yup, Josh is the guy. Corey @ Slowmo is a good friend of mine.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Yup, Josh is the guy. Corey @ Slowmo is a good friend of mine.
do you know if they addressed the bottleneck at the radiator support?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

shrimp boat
do you know if they addressed the bottleneck at the radiator support?
What they did for Josh was just to put the window screen mesh at the end of the intake tubes, no air filter. They plan to use my car as a mock up for the new radiator and intake set up. They plan to have Visteon build a narrower radiator, but thicker to compensate for the cooling system. But my initial thought was it'll not worth it.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
What they did for Josh was just to put the window screen mesh at the end of the intake tubes, no air filter. They plan to use my car as a mock up for the new radiator and intake set up. They plan to have Visteon build a narrower radiator, but thicker to compensate for the cooling system. But my initial thought was it'll not worth it.
Keep in the loop on their progress please.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:12 PM

MB
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
Dont let the clueless and uninformed sway you away from your goal. You are 100% Correct. any forced indicted engine will benefit greatly from ingesting ambient air. A denser charge, less chance of pre-ignition detonation, more timing and more power.
There is no arguing that colder air will make more power. The problem with FI cars is that no matter how cold the air is coming in is the fact that it's inevitably going to get heated a bunch due to the supercharger or turbo.

Having said that it would still be somewhat beneficial to get colder air into the supercharger but greater benefits would be had if the intercooler itself worked better.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:26 PM

+1

Originally Posted by msheredy
There is no arguing that colder air will make more power. The problem with FI cars is that no matter how cold the air is coming in is the fact that it's inevitably going to get heated a bunch due to the supercharger or turbo.

Having said that it would still be somewhat beneficial to get colder air into the supercharger but greater benefits would be had if the intercooler itself worked better.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Maybe forced induction is new to some of you guys, and perhaps thats the basis for your opinions. Cooler inlet temps will always yield more timing advance, a denser charge, less chance of pre-ignition detonation, and more power across the board. Especially when using fast burning fuels.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
they make small coolers similar to trans or steering coolers if you wanted to run one beneath your car to keep fuel temps ambient, but I can't imagine there would be too much gain. If you want super cool fuel, cryo2 makes a fuel bar kit that runs fuel through a chunk of metal that you then spray no2 or co2 into to cool it down. I would like to see progress on the kit for the radiator intake, I was actually thinking about this the other night, and i was trying to think of a way to have tubes/inlets in the front that give the ram air effect (I use this term loosely) and have some form of servo driven shutter to direct flow from the ground if there is rain so you don't suck up water. it would cost a pretty good chunk of change, and I'm not sure this would be worth the extra $$$. I'm mostly an r230 follower, not sure how much modification it would take to make a kit for all amg's.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
So what would be the best route in having a custom radiator built? pick up a spare radiator and send it to a custom radiator shop like Mac's? for them to take measurements etc?
Old 11-18-2009, 05:32 PM

Mac's www.macsradiator.com says they can build one from a drawing or cardboard template. They have a form you can fill out. I'm not sure I would want to do it, again I think the intercooler is the problem, but it would be pretty trick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A COUPLE OF THINGS FOR THE TUNERS OUT THERE!