W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Result of buying a 55 with 67K miles on it...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Result of buying a 55 with 67K miles on it...

I deeply despise posting in the CLS section because it's so dead, hope you guys don't mind me posting here.

So it's been 2 weeks since I bought a CLS55 with 67K miles on it. Upon purchasing a car, I purchased warranty for 36K miles/3yrs directly from my local Benz dealership (Sovereign) for.... $5030.

Over the 2 weeks (and 1.5K miles) I found out all the things wrong with the car... and here's a list, some things are very very minor, but still need attention, and some are... well not so minor.

- Valve cover gasket leak
- Comfort access on the driver side door doesn't work sometimes
- Headlights, the low beams sometimes don't work, sometimes they turn on sometimes they don't, gotta get it checked out by the dealer. If I leave it on Auto everytime, it works fine.
- Dynamic Seats sometimes turn off
- Rattle in the driver side door (small)
- Rattle in the front pass headrest (minor)
- Broken rear driver side ashtray in the door
- Pads and rotors need replacing
- Windshield washer fluid and wipers
- Oil change at 70K
- Remove tint and take apart rear deck to clean the glue off - done
- Front cup holders are worn out and need replacing
- Needs an alighnment

Now the major problems....

Driving the car hard, the SC turns off and I'm cruising around with like 150HP.
Last night I started hearing a cluttering noise coming from the engine bay, had everytime checked out, removed the SC belt and figured out it was the SC pulley that's all the way on the passenger side.

I'm waiting about another week before I take the car in for warranty so it doesn't look shady since I just bought the warranty on the 1st of November.

I ended up replacing the IC pump with a MC30 and got a LET heat exchanger, installed it myself with a little help from Bruce at TTM. That didn't solve the problem since I went on a exotic rally the next day and the SC turned off on me about... 8 times and went back on after 1 minute of calm driving.

I'm assuming I need a full coolant flush because it was mixed with some other crap when we disconnected the hoses to replace the pump.

Here's whats up with the SC pulley, video's I recorded today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaaGlSy6R2c - Running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwlVXtdaoE - SC belt off

Oh the joy of owning an AMG as a first car....

Off to the dealer next week, and slowly fixing things before I decide to do any serious work to it.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:24 PM

P-Carro
werent you at e-town two weeks ago? how about i throw a possive one out there about your car? how come you dont mention the 12.0 pass your car had that was you right? we spoke a few times..your car moves man all off those issues are minor..
Originally Posted by X-Vert
I deeply despise posting in the CLS section because it's so dead, hope you guys don't mind me posting here.

So it's been 2 weeks since I bought a CLS55 with 67K miles on it. Upon purchasing a car, I purchased warranty for 36K miles/3yrs directly from my local Benz dealership (Sovereign) for.... $5030.

Over the 2 weeks (and 1.5K miles) I found out all the things wrong with the car... and here's a list, some things are very very minor, but still need attention, and some are... well not so minor.

- Valve cover gasket leak
- Comfort access on the driver side door doesn't work sometimes
- Headlights, the low beams sometimes don't work, sometimes they turn on sometimes they don't, gotta get it checked out by the dealer. If I leave it on Auto everytime, it works fine.
- Dynamic Seats sometimes turn off
- Rattle in the driver side door (small)
- Rattle in the front pass headrest (minor)
- Broken rear driver side ashtray in the door
- Pads and rotors need replacing
- Windshield washer fluid and wipers
- Oil change at 70K
- Remove tint and take apart rear deck to clean the glue off - done
- Front cup holders are worn out and need replacing
- Needs an alighnment

Now the major problems....

Driving the car hard, the SC turns off and I'm cruising around with like 150HP.
Last night I started hearing a cluttering noise coming from the engine bay, had everytime checked out, removed the SC belt and figured out it was the SC pulley that's all the way on the passenger side.

I'm waiting about another week before I take the car in for warranty so it doesn't look shady since I just bought the warranty on the 1st of November.

I ended up replacing the IC pump with a MC30 and got a LET heat exchanger, installed it myself with a little help from Bruce at TTM. That didn't solve the problem since I went on a exotic rally the next day and the SC turned off on me about... 8 times and went back on after 1 minute of calm driving.

I'm assuming I need a full coolant flush because it was mixed with some other crap when we disconnected the hoses to replace the pump.

Here's whats up with the SC pulley, video's I recorded today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaaGlSy6R2c - Running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwlVXtdaoE - SC belt off

Oh the joy of owning an AMG as a first car....

Off to the dealer next week, and slowly fixing things before I decide to do any serious work to it.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
you'll love it once fixed...read cls thread and your stealer was EXTRA shady..

-Rob
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 PM

P-Carro
i think i got confused, maybe wasnt you but it was the same color cls
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
werent you at e-town two weeks ago? how about i throw a possive one out there about your car? how come you dont mention the 12.0 pass your car had that was you right? we spoke a few times..your car moves man all off those issues are minor..
Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Nope, wasn't me Loco, but we'll see each other soon, Bruce told me some crazy things about your car lol
Old 11-17-2009, 10:44 PM

P-Carro
Bruce is the real loco if you know what i mean jeje, but yeah saw a cls with no cats running low 12's sec and good trap speeds..enjoy your car. when i bought mine with 57k and had minor issues myself.
Originally Posted by X-Vert
Nope, wasn't me Loco, but we'll see each other soon, Bruce told me some crazy things about your car lol
Old 11-17-2009, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I hate dropping a bunch of cash on a new fancy car and have a bunch of crap wrong with it from Day One.

Sucks man. But, once you get the issues worked out, that car will give you a friggin boner, every time you drive it.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
It sounds like the car was just driven on really bad roads and possibly not maintained very well. My main concern would be that engine bay noise, although it could just be a bad engine mount since that seems to get bad right around 60000 miles. Good thing you got a warranty. Hopefully you bought it at a huge discount. Once it's all fixed she'll be a blast.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
Ya mine had those couple little problems that I noticed and bothered me but the previous owner didnt seem to care. Its your first car? How old are you if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 PM

2006 Granite Grey CLS55
Originally Posted by cahiil55k
It sounds like the car was just driven on really bad roads and possibly not maintained very well. My main concern would be that engine bay noise, although it could just be a bad engine mount since that seems to get bad right around 60000 miles. Good thing you got a warranty. Hopefully you bought it at a huge discount. Once it's all fixed she'll be a blast.
The engine noise is the bad pulley, it's getting replaced during my first visit to the dealership.

Originally Posted by RenntechE55
Ya mine had those couple little problems that I noticed and bothered me but the previous owner didnt seem to care. Its your first car? How old are you if you dont mind me asking?
Yep my first car, 21.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 ML63 2009 SL63 2010 Alpha 7 GTR
You should get that pulley fixed ASAP. That way you don't hurt the rest of the pullleys and put a ding in your hood from throwing a belt.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Sorry about your buy, every car with this amount of mileage needs some type of small work, BUT that dealer definitely took you for a ride. Sovereign is the most shadiest dealer I have seen around the Brooklyn area. I have a few friends that bought from them and they have nothing good to say except how they got scammed. I were you I would take the car back and complain to anyone over there, you paid your money for a good car not for a car that breaks down every 1.5 miles. In terms of the rotors they should have had the courtesy of replacing them along with the brakes, I don't even want to mention the ripp off on the warranty. Too expensive, would have been better of buying the daimler warranty for half that. My dealer tells me every car that has daimler warranty and walks in is taken care faster than the mercedes warranty. If it needs fixing they replace it no questions asked. Look into it and best of luck fixing your car.

Last edited by V12Godspeed; 11-18-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
W212 E63
You bought the car with breaks and rotors that needed to be replaced?? Check the local laws in your state, the dealer HAS TO sell the car with new breaks and rotors. That was one of the funniest things when I was shopping for my car, every dealer would say "yeah this is the best deal, the car comes with new breaks and rotors". Like really buddie? EVERY dealer supplies new breaks and rotors, its the LAW!
Also, don't sweat the work. You got a bad *** car and it will easily run you nice to 200K miles, all you need is to show it some love and care. I just got my first AMG and I notice I'm extra careful with this car compared to my previous ones. Good move on the warranty, it is crucial on the AMG's. As far as everything else, enjoy and drive the crap out of it in good health!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:13 PM

just hang in there!
Old 11-18-2009, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Your car shouldn't really have any problems.
I have been around AMGs with more mileage that are very nice, depends on how it was taken care of.
I read the other thread and you insisted on purchasing the car, even though a few issues were evident.
No worry though, all those problems are fixable, then you will enjoy the car fully.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Your car shouldn't really have any problems.
I have been around AMGs with more mileage that are very nice, depends on how it was taken care of.
I read the other thread and you insisted on purchasing the car, even though a few issues were evident.
No worry though, all those problems are fixable, then you will enjoy the car fully.

This car sat on OVE.com most of last winter and most of the summer. Its complete condiditon was announced in great detail. Dealers like myself tried to tell this guy to steer clear of this car, and he refused to listen. This car has been through hell and back twice. undisclosed accidents paintwork, electrical issues transmission issues, the list goes on.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts
'19 G63 Ed 1,'18 M5, '16 G63,'12 458 , '11 E63, Brabus SL55-K8, '10 S63, '94 E500 "Wolf", '91 560SEC
Originally Posted by Full Throttle
This car sat on OVE.com most of last winter and most of the summer. Its complete condiditon was announced in great detail. Dealers like myself tried to tell this guy to steer clear of this car, and he refused to listen. This car has been through hell and back twice. undisclosed accidents paintwork, electrical issues transmission issues, the list goes on.
Exactly, hopefully the purchase price reflected all these shortcomings.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:32 AM

2005 BLK/BLK E-Double Nickel.
drop it off at Massepequa benz.. and give them the headache.... whatever is not warrantied and you feel like you can fix, then fix it... It makes no sense for this car to keep suffering.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by abhatti55
Exactly, hopefully the purchase price reflected all these shortcomings.
I think he paid $33,000 the same price that a 40,000 mile flawless car should cost. His car black books for about $28,000 that is until someone puts a paint meter on that thing and looks at the frame rails

Last edited by Full Throttle; 11-19-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 PM

E63 AMG
+1
Just another example of not doing your research and getting trigger happy when you see something you think you like.

Hope you get it staightened out.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Banned

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by bigswin
+1
Just another example of not doing your research and getting trigger happy when you see something you think you like.

Hope you get it staightened out.
Exactly even after being told he still just had to have this car. Kids i tell you. This is also the guy that said there is "no correct offset for any wheel/car". Sticking out wheels past the fenders and stretched tires are "MAD TYTE YO" so what do you expect.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Can you give me some examples of these pristine cars available to a retail buyer for $33k?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
I think he paid $33,000 the same price that a 40,000 mile flawless car should cost. His car black books for about $28,000 that is until someone puts a paint meter on that thing and looks at the frame rails
FT - you're a used car dealer?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Can you give me some examples of these pristine cars available to a retail buyer for $33k?
No. Because for 33k you're getting someone's leftovers and you should wait until you can afford more instead of clamoring for prestige.

Should have gone for a C-Class, a 3-Series, or a G35.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM

You might be able to get a mint 500 for that, but I haven't seen any 55's at that price unless they're in poor condition (reported accident).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Result of buying a 55 with 67K miles on it...