Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meth Inj

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 & CL CK60
Forgive the dumb question - but if one were to employ the meth/water injection as a way to lower IATs does it take the place of the need for a rear mounted reservoir or do they work in conjunction? I need to find a way to lower my IATs big time. seems like the general consensus is the split reservoir system is the safer bet, however once the water is heated up (i assume it doesnt take more than a hard run or 2) all you really have is A LOT more hot water to cool down. the other ideas I have read about are: killer chiller (bad because it doesnt work while WOT) and top mounted IC ($$$$$$)

Are there ANY OTHER WAYS TO ACCOMPLISH LOWER IAT's after having replaced the pump and H/E????
Old 02-27-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
You can use the windshield washer reservoir as the tank. Most windshield washer fluid is 50/50 methanol to water. Just make sure no one else dumps anything else in the tank other than 50/50 water to methanol or the 50/50 washer fluid.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Nitrous...
Old 02-27-2010, 04:46 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
I don't want to run nos. I just want to be able to run higher boost to compensate for the boost I'm losing with headers and heads without my IATs being too high. Did anyone ever post definitive data on the split reservoir?
Old 02-28-2010, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by beauphus
I don't want to run nos. I just want to be able to run higher boost to compensate for the boost I'm losing with headers and heads without my IATs being too high. Did anyone ever post definitive data on the split reservoir?
Boost is a measure of pressure your engine will not flow. Headers, while decreasing boost, increase hp by increasing flow. The same with upgraded heads and cams. Since they let the system flow better, you get less boost but more hp per pound of boost. Lower boost means lower temps as well.

I assume you want to run more air through the system with a bigger pulley since you have created better flow? Are you worried the intercooler will not be able to efffectively cool the extra air flow from your head work and headers?

Last edited by BlownV8; 02-28-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by BlownV8
...Are you worried the intercoolers will not be able to efffectively cool the extra air flow from your head work and headers?
our intercooler (not plural) can't even effectively cool stock air flow!
Old 02-28-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by chiromikey
our intercooler (not plural) can't even effectively cool stock air flow!
Doh, it was late and I was tired. Fixed it for yah.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:10 PM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Boost is a measure of pressure your engine will not flow. Headers, while decreasing boost, increase hp by increasing flow. The same with upgraded heads and cams. Since they let the system flow better, you get less boost but more hp per pound of boost. Lower boost means lower temps as well.

I assume you want to run more air through the system with a bigger pulley since you have created better flow? Are you worried the intercooler will not be able to efffectively cool the extra air flow from your head work and headers?
i am increasing flow via headers, heads, S/C work, cams etc. so i assumed i could increase boost and create more hp however i know if i increase boost via the pulley it will create more heat and i need to lower that heat as effectively as possible. perhaps i am totally wrong on this understanding - and this is why i am asking. either way it is clear to me that our cars are prone to heat issues so my basic question is - What is the most effective way of lowering heat in our cars safely? is the split cooling system sufficient with a larger H/E and pump? is meth injection better? should i run both? there are pro's and cons to all of them. i am simply trying to lower my IAT's without risking other problems and meth seemed to be one possible way. i know the rear mounted reservoir has gained popularity but my concern is once that water is hot it is counter-productive right?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lower boost will means lower temperatures. You can, now, get the boost back up and have similar IAT's that you had before the headers/cams/head work but you will be making much more power. The only issue you may have is that your flow could be more than what the intercooler will effectively handle. However, judging by the mods many on this board are running, it should not be an issue.

Methanol injection is a band-aid for inefficient intercooler systems or used when there is a lack there of. It is very effective in lowering your IAT's and preventing pre-ignition. You are better off running a large coolant tank in the trunk so the intercooler will not get heat soaked as quickly. With the trunk mounted intercooler reservoir, you can add ice to really boost the power and get your IAT's below ambiant.