Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
"Alantra" E55 Steering Wheel?

Guys,

Quick queston. I was at the tuning shop the other day and say another E55 there getting worked on that had a "foam/alantra" (SP?) sterring wheel on it that I'd love to buy for mine.

I have fairly large hands and I've simply wrapped my streeing wheel with one of those $10 perferated leather steering wheel wraps that you see on old ladies cars.

If I'm even making any sense here would any of you know where to buy something like this?

Thanks as always.

Alex
Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2006 E55, 2012 Jeep SRT, 2008 G37s 6MT (The Mrs.), 2005 Explorer
Here you go. (It's Alcantara btw)

http://dctms.com/product_ST_Mercedes_W211.html

If you search "DCT steering wheel" you should find quite a few pics of guys who have installed them. It's on my list, it's just a long list...hah.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Thank you!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Just personal preference - I would skip the alcantara and do the leather or carbon fiber depending on your preference. I would think that the alcantara would wear too quickly and easily. They're great steering wheels - alot thicker than stock. First day feels enormous, after that - perfect.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cornfed gtr and m3
Originally Posted by motorkas
Just personal preference - I would skip the alcantara and do the leather or carbon fiber depending on your preference. I would think that the alcantara would wear too quickly and easily. They're great steering wheels - alot thicker than stock. First day feels enormous, after that - perfect.
Agreed. I had an alcantara wheel on one of my M3s, and it wore really quickly! They do feel really good, though.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 930chas
Agreed. I had an alcantara wheel on one of my M3s, and it wore really quickly! They do feel really good, though.
Actually, the Mercedes one does not fade as quick as the BMW ones. I know it sounds weird, but my friend had a BMW 330 with alacantra steering wheel and it faded much quicker and more dramatically than the one I had on an S55

The Alacantra steering wheels feels PERFECT to the grip and add a great feel to the drive experience
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55 AMG
Yes thanks guys I think I'll go with that one. I drive 2.5 hours a day to and from work, every day (100 miles rounds trip, daily) in my e55, so I'm basically holding on to a steering wheel for 2.5 hours our of 24 every day. (Kinda wierd to think of it that way lol).

So the most confortable and functional is what I'm looking for.

Last question on this. Should I go "Flat bottom" or regular. I seem to have them in both but as I've never had a flat bottom sterring wheel, I'd be very interested in your collective recommendations.

Thanks as always.

Alex
Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The steering wheel itself is very much worth it. . . as far as flat bottom v. full circle - depends. I have the flat bottom one (more for looks than anything else). With the flat bottom - you wont be able to let the wheel side in your palm as it is returning to center after a turn - you have to momentarily let go when the flat part is rotating but it takes less than a day to get that down. As far as highway cruising - do you rest your hand on the bottom of the wheel or top? If it's consistently at the bottom - you may want to stay with a full circle as you have stated that you have big hands and the flat bottom limits the space between the wheel and the air bag portion of the wheel. If it's at the top - then its just personal preference - I chose the flat bottom one because I like the "sporty" look of it. Plus my hands are on the smaller side so space wasn't really a concern. I've included pictures of my hand on the flat portion. If your just resting your hands - no worries - if you have a full grip - my knuckles hit the bottom of the airbag section. First pic - just resting; second full grip.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prius plug in
I too had the bmw alacantra wheel on my comp pkg M3, the wheel over all looked amazing, however the wear was horrible, i actually had it replaced under warrenty, i am curious how the wear is on this wheel ?

how hard is the swap ?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only had it for a week now - can't help you on the wear side. It is leather so I don't anticipate it being too bad for wear. Super easy to install - took the guys who did mine less than 30 minutes.