W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Akebono ceramic pad install (nice!)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Thumbs up Akebono ceramic pad install (nice!)

Sure this has been posted before but damn these pads are easy to change.. Just like taking toast out and put toast in a toaster.. You do not have to take calipers off either..

Here are a few pictures of the Akebono pads, calipers, and new pads with anti-squeak on the back..

Fronts took 35 minutes to do , start to finish and backs took about 30 minutes.. Used air wrench to remove tires, channel locks to take pads out, hammer and drill bit to knock pad pins out. Torque wrench to tighten lug nuts back up..

I had stock jurid pads and the new akebono are really nice.. Smooth, no vibration and they bite hard... I have seen others post a soft bite but these hit a little soft for a split second, then the heat makes them lock!! I did not do any special bedding of the pads.. Just drove easy and made long firm brake stops.. Also tried to keep car moving or put in park at lights to keep bads from heating up in one spot..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 02-03-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Varies
where did you buy your pads from? lots of break dust or no?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
Quick question for you, did you knock the pin out from the inside or outside ? I'm planning to change my soon.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
Quick question for you, did you knock the pin out from the inside or outside ? I'm planning to change my soon.

Thanks,

Andy
From the outside in.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 63S
Originally Posted by Ammi
where did you buy your pads from? lots of break dust or no?
Try Amazon.com Akebono EUR984 Rear Ceramic Pads $112 & Akebono EUR983 $150.

There is NO DUST!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Corrolla
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
From the outside in.
Thank you sir.

Andy
Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
I drove 600 miles on the front Akebono pads and there was some dust but much less than the stock back pads.. I would say 50% less than the rear stock pads.. So, not much dust at all..

Brake fade is gone, even from 130 mph hard stops!!

My back pads still had 50% left on them but after feeling how smooth the fronts were, the backs got on my nerves fast.. Had no idea how rough the stockers were..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Viking War Ship
I must get these pads. MUST!! Thanks for the write-up and your impressions. Good stuff!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E.FIDDY.FIVE AMG
Me too. Nice write up
Old 02-03-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 cl55 amg Renntech air box w/ K&N's LET 180 pulley & Tune, HE & Pump, 3'' Exhaust res/cat delete
so you recommend these over the ebc's?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 AM

2002 BMW M5, 1992 AWD DSM, 1988 Yamaha FZR1000
Since the caliper pistons were kept compressed, did you have to do any brake bleeding or anything with the SBC? That's what concerns me. Plus the dealer only wants $200 to change the pads + rotors (if I bring in the parts), which seems extremely reasonable.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
I did the Akebono's recently along with a set of new rotors and the pedel feels awsome no fade.
A BIG plus is the lack of brake dust ++++ In the past I would have to clean the car every few days just because of the damb brake dust now I can go at least a week.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Nait Sirhc
Since the caliper pistons were kept compressed, did you have to do any brake bleeding or anything with the SBC? That's what concerns me. Plus the dealer only wants $200 to change the pads + rotors (if I bring in the parts), which seems extremely reasonable.

There is NO brake bleeding needed with this pad change, it is that simple.. I did remove the brake cap and put a towel over and around the cap.. No fuid came out while compressing the calipers either but I am sure it helped relieve some pressure.. The pistons retracted very easy and I just applied light pressure..

****You guys with SBC need to follow all the precautions about keeping that mode in-active during brake change.. **** Disconnect battery or close all doors, hood trunk and lock all keys up to keep SBC in-active..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i'm doing this very soon as well...

stock rotors need replacement... I'll do a search for best prices.

Unless somebody has one already handy.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by grantwoodtx
Try Amazon.com Akebono EUR984 Rear Ceramic Pads $112 & Akebono EUR983 $150.

There is NO DUST!!!
these are for the e55 correct?

thanks for posting the part number.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
There is NO brake bleeding needed with this pad change, it is that simple.. I did remove the brake cap and put a towel over and around the cap.. No fuid came out while compressing the calipers either but I am sure it helped relieve some pressure.. The pistons retracted very easy and I just applied light pressure..

****You guys with SBC need to follow all the precautions about keeping that mode in-active during brake change.. **** Disconnect battery or close all doors, hood trunk and lock all keys up to keep SBC in-active..
You can also unplug the SBC control unit, which takes about 30 seconds and will not set any error codes as long as you don't try to turn on the ignition or open doors with it disconnected.

Also, it probably is best to crack the bleeders open instead of pushing the old fluid back into the system, just be sure you have some fresh DOT 4 fluid to top it off. However, I have simply pushed the old fluid back into the system on all of my previous cars and never had an issue.

Nait, believe it or not this is the easiest brake change i have ever done. I could do it in an hour if I had to do it again. Save your money and try it yourself, super easy. If you're replacing rotors then you'll have to remove the calipers, so spend a bit of the money you saved on the proper sockets and nice breaker bar if you don't have them already.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I've been wanting to switch from my EBC red pads to the Akebono's for sometime now. James from ACG recommended the EBC red pads to go along with my Evosport rotors and this combination just sucks. Within 5,000 miles I have a ton of hot spots with slight cracks forming near the drilled holes. I made my complaints about this to both parties and I'm still waiting for a solution, which more than likely will not happen. My question is, do I need to switch to some type of cleaner pad before going to the Akebono's or could I just plug and play?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLE 63S
Originally Posted by TopGun32
these are for the e55 correct?

thanks for posting the part number.
Yep these are the E55 part numbers.

Oh and try www.parts.com for your rorots that's where I got mine. $92.00each for the fronts and $74.75 for the rear.

Last edited by grantwoodtx; 02-06-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added Rotor pricing
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM

2002 BMW M5, 1992 AWD DSM, 1988 Yamaha FZR1000
I had the dealer do it as I needed rotors as well (meaning calipers need to come off).

Results are great though, these Akebonos bite extremely well. Dust difference is n/a in my case, as I never noticed much dust with the stockers...
Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 PM

Chevy Camaro
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I've been wanting to switch from my EBC red pads to the Akebono's for sometime now. James from ACG recommended the EBC red pads to go along with my Evosport rotors and this combination just sucks. Within 5,000 miles I have a ton of hot spots with slight cracks forming near the drilled holes. I made my complaints about this to both parties and I'm still waiting for a solution, which more than likely will not happen. My question is, do I need to switch to some type of cleaner pad before going to the Akebono's or could I just plug and play?
Any drilled rotor is going to crack near the holes. Very high stress riser in the rotor along the holes edge.

I was going to tried the dimpled rotors to see how they compare but only got a few 180mph stops on them before my motor let loose in my camaro out at the Texas mile. Was testing to see if they would crack in that extreme situation. Because my drilled brembo rotors had stress cracks after doing the Texas mile the year before.

But for the Akebono pads. Their great, low dust, no brake fad, never had to heat them up for them to grip. But I have not tried them on a road course yet to see how they hold up, for that application I will probably got to the Hawk pads.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
buddy uses these. good pads
Old 02-06-2010, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 98aggie
Any drilled rotor is going to crack near the holes. Very high stress riser in the rotor along the holes edge.

I was going to tried the dimpled rotors to see how they compare but only got a few 180mph stops on them before my motor let loose in my camaro out at the Texas mile. Was testing to see if they would crack in that extreme situation. Because my drilled brembo rotors had stress cracks after doing the Texas mile the year before.

But for the Akebono pads. Their great, low dust, no brake fad, never had to heat them up for them to grip. But I have not tried them on a road course yet to see how they hold up, for that application I will probably got to the Hawk pads.
Thanks 98aggie!

Do you guys use a cleaner pad at all when just switching the pad? I was told this by James from ACG and I'm wondering if any of you guys do the same.

Is there a bedding in process on the Akebono's like the EBC reds?
Old 02-18-2010, 12:31 AM

2003 cl55 (sold)
Just put on the Akebonos on the front and luv 'em. No squeak and this is not on new rotors. Just used MB grease on the pads and all is good. No special bedding process other than normal break in. Seem to bite down better than stockers also. Am happy and will now put on rears when they are ready. $155 not too bad either.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by jicl55
Just put on the Akebonos on the front and luv 'em. No squeak and this is not on new rotors. Just used MB grease on the pads and all is good. No special bedding process other than normal break in. Seem to bite down better than stockers also. Am happy and will now put on rears when they are ready. $155 not too bad either.
I was going to wait on the rears but the fronts were so nice that I had to reward the backs too.. Just do them now and you will be happy with the full pacakge.. I still had 50% left on my rears but who cares.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
I have been enjoying my Akebonos since summer and they really are awesome. I never hear squeeks. They stop much better then stockers.

The dust situation is vastly improved. Akebonos do have some dust but it is much easier to wipe off and is a much lighter gery color which is more dificult to see vs the black dust from stock pads.

The price point is great.

Pads are actually really easy to do on this car even if you have never done brakes yourself, thanks to the design of the AMG brake calipers. Going slow front and rear should take less then 1.5 hrs in a driveway.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: Akebono ceramic pad install (nice!)