Sponsored by:

Pictarz of Ceramic Coated...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55K, Duc 848
Pictarz of Ceramic Coated...

Here are a couple pictures of my Supersprint LT Headers Ceramic coated satin black.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by Craigo
Here are a couple pictures of my Supersprint LT Headers Ceramic coated satin black.

what process: zirconium coating or what ?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:45 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
Originally Posted by dyno
what process: zirconium coating or what ?
Good question, I will get back with the correct answer and process ASAP. Gotta make a phone call.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

frankly, seems more a cold-applied paint
also because I ve never seen coloured true plasma-sprayed zirconium oxides

but let us know what gains you'll get from that SS

btw, what is ID diameter for primary tubes and the outlet collector ?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:54 PM

2005 Silver E55
ok noobie here where did you get them an what was the cost. I just read the link were he should a stock header , OMG. we need to open these cars up. this is by far the worst stock header I have ever seen on a car. do you have some base dyno numbers to compare and hopefully post mod numbers.

I second the question on the ID tubes.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Found elsewhere on the web:
Review

Being the first as usual, in 2004 Supersprint has designed, developed, and crafted a stainless steel full exhaust system for the Supercharged E 55 AMG V8.
With the Supersprint exhaust, the E 55 AMG easily breaks the 500 Hp barrier, by a substantial margin. This twin pipe, oversize 2 x 70mm exhaust, includes headers with long, individual primary tubes, special HJS-Emitec metallic cats, mid-pipes with built-in "crossover" section, and streamlined, oval design rear mufflers with quad-tips.
It is now available to the public at all of the Supersprint dealers, worldwide, as it guarantees an outstanding performance increase, and a unique, deep V8 sound.
Developed and tested thoroughly, on the Maha dyno, on the road and finally on the race track at Nardò, where Rolf Hartge, the owner of Carlsson, the world-known Mercedes Tuner from Germany has successfully attacked and broken the speed record for the sedan class, the Supersprint system is the best performance exhaust on the market.

Rear mufflers

The Supersprint's R & L rear mufflers use the Free-Flow design typical of all of the Supersprint performance systems. Contrary to the stock muffler system, which uses the baffled, resonated chamber design, this exclusive design not only gives the Supersprint exhaust the right sound but also ensures an effective reduction in backpressure. The Supersprint silencer's tapered cross-section, its overall volume, the inner, perforated core pipe diameter, all work together to best suit this Mercedes engine, ensure optimum results and give the ultimate, authentic V8 sound. Supersprint used its exclusive design, oval & tapered cross-section silencer design, which has been developed specifically for all of the Mercedes models, which are equipped with an R & L exhaust, like the R230 SL, the E W211, the CLS and the SLK R 171.
This particular, streamlined design uses the available space for the exhaust system at its best and keeps the silencer boxes tucked in and away from the direct air flow running under the car chassis. This feature ensures the least wind resistance.
The exclusive Supersprint muffler design also provides the right blend of exciting sound and optimum performance. The Supersprint mufflers are available in the oval, 120x80mm quad-tip design. The tips kits are bolted-on, and the mufflers have height-adjustable hangers. These features allow fine tuning the final position of exhaust into the rear bumper valence. This Supersprint rear muffler system has a EEC homologation, which makes it road legal, worldwide.

Resonator

The Supersprint resonator is completely flow-thru design, just like the Supersprint rear mufflers. It's also available in an optional, race-pipe version (non-resonated). Both parts use the world-known Supersprint, built-in X-pipe, a special crossover section, placed at the ideal distance from the engine, which equalizes the exhaust gas backpressure between the right and the left side cylinder banks of the Mercedes V8 motor.
The X-pipe refines the sound at all rpm ranges, enhancing the harmonic of the engine exhaust waves, and guarantees a healthy, sport sound.
The Supersprint mid-pipe kit has been made with substantially larger than stock, Oversize tubes (2 x 70mm Vs. the smallish 2 x 60mm found on the oem exhaust), for an effective increase in exhaust gas flow.

Metallic cats, with 100cpsi beds

The front section of the Supersprint exhaust uses 2 large volume, 100cpsi metallic cats, one cat each side. The stock system, on the contrary, uses a grand total of 4 cats (2 cats each side), 2 of them (1 each side) are positioned very close to the cylinder heads, and their rating is 400cpsi and over. This design severely restricts the exhaust gas flow and the performance.
The Supersprint HJS cats, made in Germany by Emitec, the world leader in technology for performance, metallic catalytic converters, are positioned further downstream in the exhaust system, and have a much lower cpsi rating of 100 cells per square inch.
These features guarantee a dramatic reduction of the exhaust gas backpressure, and also allows for lower engine temperature in the head exhaust ports' area, when under a load, especially at medium and high rpm.
Maintaining the exhaust temperature as low as possible is extremely critical on all of the supercharged Mercedes engines.
The failure of the stock catalytic system happens very often on this type of cars, and it requires a costly replacement.
This Supersprint exhaust component uses before - and -after-cat Lambda sensor ports, and is totally compatible with the car's own OBD II emission management system.

Headers

The key component of the Supersprint E55 AMG exhaust, instrumental to best performance, are the headers.
These very special headers have been designed and developed by Supersprint' own R&D team, as usual, and have been extensively tested on Supersprint own MAHA braked dynamometer. While the stock headers use an ineffective log design, with extremely short, restrictive runners, made out of stamped, metal halves, the Supersprint headers feature long, 42mm o.d. tubular, individual primaries, mated together smoothly, thanks to the special, 4-1 Supersprint 70mm o.d. merge collector design. As a comparison, the stock headers and the inlet pipe leading to the cats have a main section of only 46mm, this means that the Supersprint headers have a 110% wider cross-section in this particular, most critical area.
The Supersprint development crew managed to squeeze these huge headers in the limited space available in the engine bay, and shaped them so well, that they can be easily fitted without the need for lifting the engine, or un-bolting the transmission or other parts.
The heat expansion of the exhaust system is a very critical factor on these S/C engines, and it often leads to the failure of one or more components, if the design does not take it into the proper consideration. The Supersprint headers, with their proprietary free-floating flanges and spring-loaded sealing rings, effectively neutralize all of the heat induced tensions placed on the individual pipes; provide the ideal resistance of the entire system to the thermal cycles, and a maintenance-free, long life.
The simple, yet effective leak-free design makes the Supersprint headers the only real performance headers on the market, which offers the same oem-comparable, or even better reliability in the long term.

END RESULT

The final result of the full Supersprint exhaust system is a substantial increase in performance and torque, from the lower rpm range, all the way to the rev limit.
Each one of the individual components of the Supersprint exhaust has been designed and tested with the specific goal of the best performance and the optimum results can only be achieved by using all of the components together.
With the full Supersprint system in place, the exhaust gas backpressure at 6600 rpm drops from 0.55 bar down to 0.15 bar, the ideal figure for the best head ports scavenging and thermal efficiency.
At max rpm, the increase in performance is +44 Hp, while the torque curve is constantly above the stock curve by a large margin, starting from as low as 2000 rpm.
The stock max torque figure of 715.7 Nm, which occurs at 3745 rpm, is now reached at 2700 rpm with the Supersprint full exhaust in place, over 1000 rpm lower in the power band.
The max torque is an astounding 753.3 Nm, at the same rpm.
The average gain in engine torque, from 2000 to 6800 rpm, ranges between + 45Nm and + 60Nm. This translates into a much stronger pull from the very first crack of the throttle. Last, but not least, the lighter overall weight of the Supersprint exhaust system further enhances the handling characteristics of the E55 AMG.
The Supersprint exhaust system is the single most effective performance-improving modification, which does not lessen the engine reliability.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

in their website there was also the dyno sheet (under 55SL, iirc)

the above info concerning these long tubes headers AND full exhaust, together with the +44Hp figure (note, it is engine HP, not Wheel HP ) makes me wonder about otheer big figures we see advertised as being the result of the exhaust only mod

to the OP:
please check those ID pipes if you have a chance !
Old 03-05-2010, 06:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Seems to be the best there is out there for a full system... and install seems simple given how the header pieces together.

Pricey tho....
Old 03-05-2010, 10:06 AM

W211 E55K, Duc 848

in their website there was also the dyno sheet (under 55SL, iirc)

the above info concerning these long tubes headers AND full exhaust, together with the +44Hp figure (note, it is engine HP, not Wheel HP ) makes me wonder about otheer big figures we see advertised as being the result of the exhaust only mod

to the OP:
please check those ID pipes if you have a chance !
I'll be at the shop in a day, we're doing a full stainless steel (t304, i believe) 3" exhaust from headers back. Debating if i want to ceramic coat the whole exhaust also... I'll get back with all answers in the next 48 hours. Exactly - the install of these headers is rather simple and straight foward.

To whomever asked if I have a baseline dyno of my car, I do. I also plan on returning to the same dyno with a lot more mods on the car than just these headers though, don't see it to be too practical to install one mod at a time and keep going back to the same dyno. I will be posting a stock dyno graph, and a list of all my mods with the newest dyno in the next 2-3 weeks.

I will get ceramic coating process answer up here ASAP, need to call the dude.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'll be at the shop in a day, we're doing a full stainless steel (t304, i believe) 3" exhaust from headers back. Debating if i want to ceramic coat the whole exhaust also... I'll get back with all answers in the next 48 hours. Exactly - the install of these headers is rather simple and straight foward.

To whomever asked if I have a baseline dyno of my car, I do. I also plan on returning to the same dyno with a lot more mods on the car than just these headers though, don't see it to be too practical to install one mod at a time and keep going back to the same dyno. I will be posting a stock dyno graph, and a list of all my mods with the newest dyno in the next 2-3 weeks.

I will get ceramic coating process answer up here ASAP, need to call the dude.

there's a reason for coating only wher eit gets extremely hot, to avoid heat dissipation in the engine bay ..

you sure of that 3" pipes ? ,, this is not a 63 and 70mm is proven to be good (2.75")

About Base dyno: ... just tell your dyno guys you don't need a fake 350whp base dyno just to show a bigger increase after all mods ..
Old 03-05-2010, 02:20 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
there's a reason for coating only wher eit gets extremely hot, to avoid heat dissipation in the engine bay ..

you sure of that 3" pipes ? ,, this is not a 63 and 70mm is proven to be good (2.75")

About Base dyno: ... just tell your dyno guys you don't need a fake 350whp base dyno just to show a bigger increase after all mods ..

Heat is the ENEMY! The supersprint headers are indeed 2.75". After the headers the 3" exhaust is coming to play. Custom fabricated obviously.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:48 PM

W211 E55K, Duc 848
How ceramic coating was achieved for these headers was told to me as:

1. Media blasted/sandblasted the pipes
2. Put through the ceramic coating process with postive/negative charges to have it adhere.
3. Powdercoated to get the satin black look, obviously baked on.

Hope that makes sense to you (dyno). Sorry for being so vague.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
What shop in NJ are you using? Good lookin' LT headers... Supersprint does have a reputation for building ultra-high-quality, ultra-high-cost exhaust products.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How ceramic coating was achieved for these headers was told to me as:

1. Media blasted/sandblasted the pipes
2. Put through the ceramic coating process with postive/negative charges to have it adhere.
3. Powdercoated to get the satin black look, obviously baked on.

Hope that makes sense to you (dyno). Sorry for being so vague.
thanks for info.

for the process I was telling, they'd need at least a Plasma Spray Gun thing like this