Sponsored by:

MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Running ‘em lean with too much spark advance and a generous amount of boost tossed in can be a hoot for a while.

Melted many a piston - and worse - during my tomfoolery of yesteryear. Still sucks though. :(
Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Oh boy,emoving is going to try and crucify someone when he gets here. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully this serves as a good warning of the possibile problems that can happen when we modify these cars. Please remember folks that these are not $3k engines we are modding and do yourselves right by doing serious research when you select companies to use in the mod process.

Nick
Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P-Carro
Guys please before being worried about who it is or who's your next tuner going to be lets have the experts argue and have their imput on the facts to see if my car had existing ring land issues which i thought has been corrected since after 2003 models.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by LOCO 05' E55
Guys please before being worried about who it is or who's your next tuner going to be lets have the experts argue and have their imput on the facts to see if my car had existing ring land issues which i thought has been corrected since after 2003 models.
When you melt a piston?.....Just can't see it being a ring issue. Timing advance is a killer for these motors, which would melt your spark plugs. Just my .00002 cents.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM

P-Carro
I have only heard and seen good track numbers and in fact rules the 63 platform, so lets keep him out of this!

Originally Posted by emoving
This shiat reminds me of the Andy Cluck(MHP) days! He blew like 20 engines and trannys before people figured it out!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
997TT, R8 V10+, G550, Plaid S
hey Luis. i am glad you came out with the story and posted it here. you had a strong car and it is too much of a coincidence that this happened basically the first time you raced it after it got retuned.

btw to those that can't figure out who the tuner is - it's not the first blown motor thread.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

W221
Dayam. I'm sorry to hear. Hope you get your beast up and runnin healthy again!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
about 4-5 hours
I travel 4-5 hours for a custom tune but I guess the question is did Loco. To me it's as obvious as day who the tuner is and they have been known to put ***** loads of timing in their tunes. I should know because I had one and my tuner actually gained power as we pulled both timing and fuel. Maybe this is why we see such high RWTQ numbers when compared to the rwhp #'s....

Sorry Loco but it's the nature of the beast for people to guess who it is and to be honest they will keep on guessing. You may have been better off waiting before posting if this is something you wish to avoid.

Good luck and stay with Bruce, he's a great guy and he would be my choice if I lived around that area.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:22 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by prodigymb
hey Luis. i am glad you came out with the story and posted it here. you had a strong car and it is too much of a coincidence that this happened basically the first time you raced it after it got retuned.

btw to those that can't figure out who the tuner is - it's not the first blown motor thread.
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Dayam. I'm sorry to hear. Hope you get your beast up and runnin healthy again!
TX. Benzo I was told you blew a gasket at the track..is this true? i was hoping it was that for a couple of days..
Old 03-14-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

e55
does the tuner begin with L
Old 03-14-2010, 08:25 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by prodigymb

No is not!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I travel 4-5 hours for a custom tune but I guess the question is did Loco. To me it's as obvious as day who the tuner is and they have been known to put ***** loads of timing in their tunes. I should know because I had one and my tuner actually gained power as we pulled both timing and fuel. Maybe this is why we see such high RWTQ numbers when compared to the rwhp #'s....

Sorry Loco but it's the nature of the beast for people to guess who it is and to be honest they will keep on guessing. You may have been better off waiting before posting if this is something you wish to avoid.

Good luck and stay with Bruce, he's a great guy and he would be my choice if I lived around that area.

Tx. Allen
Old 03-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

W221
TX. Benzo I was told you blew a gasket at the track..is this true? i was hoping it was that for a couple of days..
Yup. 3 runs in, I blew the head gasket. Had my friend check it out briefly at the track and then had it towed to his shop. Had it fixed along with redoing my whole exhaust. Had it re-tuned again for it and has been running strong as it always has!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:30 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Yup. 3 runs in, I blew the head gasket. Had my friend check it out briefly at the track and then had it towed to his shop. Had it fixed along with redoing my whole exhaust. Had it re-tuned for it and has been running strong since!
Thats nice to hear but im way north of that for sure!!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Sorry to all the engine problems gentlermen, but without posting company name you are all, well you can fill in the blanks. I just love how someone on this forum posts BAD results and then tightens up,

State the facts or SHUT THE FU, IMHO.

Sorry but I am sick and tired of behind the scenes games, and who knows what. If I EVER have a bad experience, guess what, I WILL Name NAMES, why because I have pair.

To all of the above grow a sack and speak up, or simply STFU.

Later
Old 03-14-2010, 08:38 PM

P-Carro
[quote=bassn_07;3983782]I travel 4-5 hours for a custom tune but I guess the question is did Loco. To me it's as obvious as day who the tuner is and they have been known to put ***** loads of timing in their tunes. I should know because I had one and my tuner actually gained power as we pulled both timing and fuel. Maybe this is why we see such high RWTQ numbers when compared to the rwhp #'s....

I didnt get to that yet, first i gotta get the car to run then fin a person willing to sit down with the files!! hey who knows maybe powerchip is next on my list but first shes got start!
Old 03-14-2010, 08:44 PM

P-Carro
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Sorry to all the engine problems gentlermen, but without posting company name you are all, well you can fill in the blanks. I just love how someone on this forum posts BAD results and then tightens up,

State the facts or SHUT THE FU, IMHO.

Sorry but I am sick and tired of behind the scenes games, and who knows what. If I EVER have a bad experience, guess what, I WILL Name NAMES, why because I have pair.

To all of the above grow a sack and speak up, or simply STFU.

Later

Thats quite the help there buddy!! read the thread and see where im coming from..like i said before until i have full proof is all speculations or like you said but i just felt like i had to share my $14,000 story with the guys here ... if you have a tuner in mind go do research on them...good luck
Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Ok, so am I the only one think this is the owner fault here??

When did he get the car tune? What was the temp then?

The owner stated that he went out to race again two Cobra in twenty degree weather. Ran it once, then ran it twice, and then the engine blew in the end of the second run. To me that's straight up abuse.

I don't know who the tuner is, have no affiliation with them, never bought any part from them. This is just my observation as a RICER for the last fifteen years or so.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
211-55
Didn't someone else post a similar or identical thread a month or 2 ago, except that person was posting about another forum member's experience? I know that thread was deleted. Quick someone cache this bad boy because once Loco names the tuner (and I'm sure many on the forum already knows who it is) this thread will be deleted too.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9

The owner stated that he went out to race again two Cobra in twenty degree weather. Ran it once, then ran it twice, and then the engine blew in the end of the second run. To me that's straight up abuse.

I don't know who the tuner is, have no affiliation with them, never bought any part from them. This is just my observation as a RICER for the last fifteen years or so.
Abuse ?? LOL 2 back to back runs are far from abuse .
Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM

CLS 55, Z06

Back to back races should not be a problem at all. You may suffer some heat soak..but the engine becoming a grenade should not be an after effect of back to back racing or hot lapping
Old 03-14-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Thats quite the help there buddy!! read the thread and see where im coming from..like i said before until i have full proof is all speculations or like you said but i just felt like i had to share my $14,000 story with the guys here ... if you have a tuner in mind go do research on them...good luck
The problem is, when people don't name names in regard to their less-than-stellar experiences with vendors, it leaves others at risk (or, at the very least, uninformed) when performing their own due diligence down the road. That might be part of what MRAMG1 is getting at (and if so, I agree with). In the end, though, it's your story to tell, or not, at your own discretion.

IMHO, folks shouldn't have any apprehension about posting such a story, as long as they focus on the objective facts, chronological timeline, etc., and avoid potentially damaging speculation or misinformation.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
Daamn man sorry to hear about this. How much would a new engine run you?

Don't worry now you can dump this in there! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by benz_addict; 03-14-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:00 PM

P-Carro

Tx for your opinion..thats why i made sure i posted that, instead of saying otherwise, but that makes me feel like im the only one that drives hard from time to time.. call it abuse if you are doing that to a 1990 turbo talon with about 20psi !!!! thought we were talking about tanks here..
Old 03-14-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Loco, do you have any better pics of the hole in the cylinder?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: MY ENGINE WENT KA BOOOOOOMMM !!!