evosport rotors...wtf???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
I hear you, and agree about the bikes as well. But would you please enlighten me about the "Better Pads". I live within a stones throw from Beaverun, and travel frequently to Nelson ledges. Granted, I only compete/watch in Grassroots motor racing, AKA CHEAP. But ALL of my friends and numerous competitors like EBC both red and yellow. Just Please don't tell me you like pagid my friend.

PS: There are also numerous threads form members beside me that LIKE their EBC's as well. So IMHO, opinions are like, well you can fill in the blank. But track results are what I base my opinions on. AS I am sure you do to
Axxis, Akebono and OEM stock will all perform better than the Reds, if cost is your determining factor look into Axxis, they offer a performance ceramic pad and Axxis is usually the lowest cost option for a good se of pads, but if you are happy with the Reds and they are working for you I would just stay with them
Old 03-28-2010, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Mercedes Benz E55
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
No, it IS true. I stated a FACT. We have sold hundreds of these without issues is a fact. That's very different than me saying we've never had an issue. But to my knowledge we have not had this particular issue. One would certainly expect this issue to have come up before. Again, I stated a fact as I certainly have the right to because it is important information. I was not attempting to deflect the issue at hand.

With regards to member being dissatisfied, again, they are certainly dissatisfied that they are having issues. Ths is NOT to say the issue is the rotor. I want to make that clear. Yet you seem convinced otherwise. Perhaps you have information that none of us here have?

I'm really biting my tongue here. What is your predisposition or agenda here? Did you have some really bad experience with a tuner in the past that is manifesting itself now? Please go back and re-read what I wrote before you start posting aggressive and accusational comments. I'm trying to assist the customer and in doing so stated an important fact NOT in any attempt to deflect the issue.

By "help" I mean help. What that ultimately means has yet to be determined. Should the customer choose to post his experiences thereafter, you will have your answer then.
I need some rotors, I would like to see how this finalizes with Alan, but I commend you for standing by your product and keeping your cool
Old 03-29-2010, 12:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new set of rotors and the evosports are on the top of my list, A search is what brought me to this thread and I was shocked to see the issues, With any products its to be expected that there going to be issues BUT its how a manufacture and its vendors handle the problem thats going to generate return business and spawn new clients. I'm eagerly awaiting to see how this problem works out. I'll gladly buy a set if I know a manufacture stands behind there products and the people that buy them.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 E55
oh boy, I bought that rotors a month ago and planning to install them this week-end. Guys, do you think I should just get OEM pads with them?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Oh ok well it seems as if the dust would be easier to deal with than all of this drama just my .55
agree and screw that, I am off to the local dealership to get stock pads.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I also think you should use stock pads...

and you don't need new pads with new rotors; that's a myth...you can replace pads without replacing rotors and vice versa (if pads wear properly than seating issues of existing pads onto new rotors should not be present)...especially on a street car. On a race car pad replacement is more common that rotor replacement anyway so on a street car if stock pads are used you *should* be good to go even with this new rotor upgrade
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 E55
Thanks for the idea Sunir!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 PM

CLS 55 AMG
Evo Rotors

Originally Posted by chiromikey
purchased a brand new set last year along with recommended ebc red pads and the front rotors started collecting hot spots or pad deposits (or a combination of both) almost immediately. this started to cause brake vibrations and reduced stopping power. the vender agreed to swap out the pads to akebono if i would have the rotor surface cleaned on my end. within a very short period of miles i'm having the exact same problem with the new pads. both sets of pads were bedded according to pad manufacturer specs.

anyone else having these or similar problems??? i hate to continue to asking the vendor to keep sending me pads to try as it really isn't his fault, but i'm not sure what else to do...
I have tried all sorts of aftermarket pads with the EVO rotors, and i think the original AMG pads still works the best.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
This thread sucks!

We have been on this board arguing for a number of years about brake PADS for our cars and many of us shared our horrid experience with the EBC pads. Yet, they were sold here "cheap" and so a bunch jumped on it.

Let me be clear about rotors and pads on these cars since I did spend quite some time with the EVO rotos (both versions) and numerous pads, including EBCs.

Cracks in the rotors: ANY cross drilled rotor will tend to crack and minor ones are absolutely normal. The thickness of the rotor is what is of concern as is the location of the cracks. That is why you do not want to cross drill near the edges (which has been a design change for many rotor makers). Cross drilled rotors are for LOOKS. If you honestly want performance, you do not want the cross holes DRILLED nor do you want them to be a simple hole that can trap dust. They should be sort of cone shaped so that the dirt gets spit out quick. The next option is clearly slotted. They don't look as sweet but really help with cooling but lower surface area. This why you would typically go with larger rotors too.

Anyhow, back when the EBC debate came on it seemed that brake dust and not performance was the topic that people cared about. I never cared about dust so i went with stock pads and then to Porterfields. The only thing I ever had happen was what looked like spotting but went away after slight use.

My EVOSport rotors ALWAYS felt better than OEM. It was never even close. Traction was always excellent and the feel of having the reduced weight was great.

To be lossing braking power means you must be losing grip. Either overheating (which the EVOSport rotors are MUCH cooler running than OEM) or by glazing, which again goes back to the pad.

Mikey and Alan, I understand your frustration and have been there. But, I personally feel that EVOSport is stepping up in a way that should be noted. In all honesty, you both know that the wrong vendor is being asked to respond here.

Everyone here knows that i have never been very friendly with EVOSport but the truth is the truth. When I had issues, which turned out to be simple wear and tear, Simon still stepped up and did the right thing by me and did not nit pick over what was due or anything. Once he agreed that there were no extenuating circumstances, he got it done.

Last point to those that want to defend the reds. Why did they change the design so dramatically?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
evosport is stepping up and should be applauded, especially with the rash of unethical vendors that have muddied the scene lately. as soon as i can get the rotors to them for inspection, i will conclude this thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
evosport is stepping up and should be applauded, especially with the rash of unethical vendors that have muddied the scene lately. as soon as i can get the rotors to them for inspection, i will conclude this thread.
Mikey, I agree with the rash lately. We, as a community need to help one another out. You have been down for so long after being fast already and no issues for so long. I am sure that you will be back to happy once you get the monster running tip top again!!

People gotta keep talking. the exchange of thoughts is what is important.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by jangy
Cracks in the rotors: ANY cross drilled rotor will tend to crack and minor ones are absolutely normal. The thickness of the rotor is what is of concern as is the location of the cracks. That is why you do not want to cross drill near the edges (which has been a design change for many rotor makers). Cross drilled rotors are for LOOKS. If you honestly want performance, you do not want the cross holes DRILLED nor do you want them to be a simple hole that can trap dust. They should be sort of cone shaped so that the dirt gets spit out quick. The next option is clearly slotted. They don't look as sweet but really help with cooling but lower surface area. This why you would typically go with larger rotors too.100% correct

Last point to those that want to defend the reds. Why did they change the design so dramatically?
I guess you have never heard about R&D

Please go to ANY race track, and see if the same group of winners in ANY class use the same brake pad year after year after year.

Companies change products to make sure they keep up with the competition, period.

Now as far as EBC, I have NO knowledge of which year they changed their formula, nor do I care. I simply know that they work on the street, and at the track. A statement that VERY few brake pad manufacturers CAN make.

I do know that I have them on all of my cars, except the S600 as they sent me the wrong pad. I do know that ALL cars that I have put them on have seen lower dusting, and better brake performance.

AS I have said before, buy whatever you want, as I do not have stock in EBC nor do I really care what other people choose.

I just do not like uninformed people making noises about something that is not correct.

I have track time with many pads at various tracks and I like my EBC redstuff. Thats all.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
MRAMG1 thanks for the insults. I'm thrilled that you have had a great experience with their product BUT lets be clear about facts. The EBC pads are made of a more denso compound. This helps them reduce dust , but by no means helps performance. Pads and Rotors need to be optimized for best work. Obviously the softer material (between rotor and pad) will wear faster. the problem is that the pads last but tear the rotors up. What good is that? Where I come from (and yes I do have R&D on my resume), the pads are disposable as are the rotors. Typically, two sets of pads per rotor. The EBCs never held to that standard on the track or the street.

Name the track cars you liked them on? No BMWs count since very small calipers compared to AMGs.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I guess you have never heard about R&D

Please go to ANY race track, and see if the same group of winners in ANY class use the same brake pad year after year after year..

Most people I know run Porterfield on their track cars. Bar NONE. Been doing it for YEARS and dominate their classes. What on earth are you talking about?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
+1 Evosport and James from ACG really stepped up and like Mike said they should be applauded. I will be having Evosport do the install since they offered their services free of charge...thank you Simon and Dale!!! Just to note James from ACG also offered the same free of charge service. I'm very pleased with the direction this is going and I look forward to posting my results once all is completed.

It's such a breath of fresh air to finally have the confidence to purchase from a supporting vendor that stands behind their product. Hopefully more companies will follow suit and give the same customer service both James and Evosport is providing.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:40 AM

2019 s560 sedan
My evo rotors are going on next week and gonna go with new OEM pads. gonna also dyno to see if it makes a hp increase due to the less rotating mass on rear wheels .

too be continued.......................
Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Dyno will show zero difference IMHO...

Braking performance will improve as will handling ... but its not going to add any power.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
MRAMG1 thanks for the insults. Excuse me, but where did I insult you I only stated that I do not like uninformed opinions. I did not say that YOU were uninformed

Name the track cars you liked them on? No BMWs count since very small calipers compared to AMGs.
Nelson Ledges, numerous cars ex 91 Mustang World challenge series, 93 Firebird Formula Hawk, 300Z, etc, etc

Beaverun, Sorry but I have to say it 01 M roadster, C32, 91 Mustang, Several Corvettes, etc.

After my lap times at Beaverun in the C32 NUMEROUS drivers looked at the brakes as I was braking late and hard, and were surprised that I had EBC. They bought them for the next event. Go figure.

Again, buy what you want, as I could care less what you use.

I am happy with EBC, will continue to use EBC, so take it for what ever you wish.

Note: P cars do swear by portifield, and I really have not seen them on any other chassis that wins in Grass roots racing/SCCA.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 04-15-2010 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by stevebez
Dyno will show zero difference IMHO...

Braking performance will improve as will handling ... but its not going to add any power.
Wrong...I would be suprised if he does not see a HP increase on the dyno, even slight reductions in unsprung rotating mass always will result in a nicer dyno number. The lighter rotors are not making any HP, they are just freeing up HP.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Nelson Ledges, numerous cars ex 91 Mustang World challenge series, 93 Firebird Formula Hawk, 300Z, etc, etc

Beaverun, Sorry but I have to say it 01 M roadster, C32, 91 Mustang, Several Corvettes, etc.

After my lap times at Beaverun in the C32 NUMEROUS drivers looked at the brakes as I was braking late and hard, and were surprised that I had EBC. They bought them for the next event. Go figure.

Again, buy what you want, as I could care less what you use.

I am happy with EBC, will continue to use EBC, so take it for what ever you wish.

Note: P cars do swear by portifield, and I really have not seen them on any other chassis that wins in Grass roots racing/SCCA.
you ever feel like the whole world is against you? I STILL don't understand why you so vigorously defend EBC when so many people here repeatedly have bad experiences with them
Old 04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212

I get you and am glad you've liked them. Obviously somebody does or they would be out of business. I just don't think they are the best setup for the E55 calipers and rotor sweep size. I wanted a soft pad. That was simply my preference and going with the porterfields blew my mind.

Like I said before, the difference between OEM rotors and the EVO ones was major for me. The weight and heat dissipation alone was an instant improvement. That is why I get so suspicious of the pads when members have issues and feel that the OEM rotors were even comparable to the EVO ones.

As Mikey said, itis great to see EVO and ACG step up and offer. I have been dealing with both for a number of years and have seen consistency from EVO and growth from ACG. I also forgot to mention that all of the labor was done on my car for free as well. Simon never even questioned that. I must also say that they pay very nice attention to your car. VIC55 mentioned it to me years ago, but it was a nice touch when I experienced it.

Can't wait to hear the outcome. One of you needs to buy my set of EVO front ones and feel the difference for yourself

Mikey bro, I am dying to see your car when ALL the new stuff is tweaked!!
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Wrong...I would be suprised if he does not see a HP increase on the dyno, even slight reductions in unsprung rotating mass always will result in a nicer dyno number. The lighter rotors are not making any HP, they are just freeing up HP.
This is what I always thought and still believe it to be true. The lighter rotors (usprung weight) IMO is reducing the drivetrain loss which frees up a few extra pony's to the ground.

I'll be in town towards the end of May and Evopsort will be doing my install free of charge.... I was thinking of going with the Akebono's but now I might go with the Porterfield's since other Evosport users are having great success with them.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I get you and am glad you've liked them. Obviously somebody does or they would be out of business. I just don't think they are the best setup for the E55 calipers and rotor sweep size. I wanted a soft pad. That was simply my preference and going with the porterfields blew my mind.
Understood, as I do not own a E55, I am hardly trying to state what is best for it. Just wanted to share my experience with them.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2010, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by e1000
you ever feel like the whole world is against you?
In a word, NO

Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by bassn_07
This is what I always thought and still believe it to be true. The lighter rotors (usprung weight) IMO is reducing the drivetrain loss which frees up a few extra pony's to the ground.

I'll be in town towards the end of May and Evopsort will be doing my install free of charge.... I was thinking of going with the Akebono's but now I might go with the Porterfield's since other Evosport users are having great success with them.

I third that notion. Jcart was going extreme w/ the CF rims, so that would really show. But, I did my Rotors and HREs at the same time (within a week, wheels first) during the time that Vadim was doing lots of dynos and I got a clean 20whp difference by flipping to the HRE/EVO/and R compound tires. Rolling size remained the same (exact same tire sizes).

Porterfields FTW!! It has been a while, but ask for the RS4 compound (street). The race compound is too stiff and you will never get it properly heated and seated with street driving. Race compound expect sustained heat. Similar to running Drag radial tread on the street.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: evosport rotors...wtf???