evosport rotors...wtf???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
evosport rotors...wtf???

purchased a brand new set last year along with recommended ebc red pads and the front rotors started collecting hot spots or pad deposits (or a combination of both) almost immediately. this started to cause brake vibrations and reduced stopping power. the vender agreed to swap out the pads to akebono if i would have the rotor surface cleaned on my end. within a very short period of miles i'm having the exact same problem with the new pads. both sets of pads were bedded according to pad manufacturer specs.

anyone else having these or similar problems??? i hate to continue to asking the vendor to keep sending me pads to try as it really isn't his fault, but i'm not sure what else to do...
Old 03-25-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by chiromikey
purchased a brand new set last year along with recommended ebc red pads and the front rotors started collecting hot spots or pad deposits (or a combination of both) almost immediately. this started to cause brake vibrations and reduced stopping power. the vender agreed to swap out the pads to akebono if i would have the rotor surface cleaned on my end. within a very short period of miles i'm having the exact same problem with the new pads. both sets of pads were bedded according to pad manufacturer specs.

anyone else having these or similar problems??? i hate to continue to asking the vendor to keep sending me pads to try as it really isn't his fault, but i'm not sure what else to do...
I remember a couple of people had this same problem with the evosport rotors.... however, the problem seemed to go away after replacing the pads
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
I'm assuming that you bought the rotor set and pads from an evosport distributer or did you go direct thru evosport? if you bought the rotors from evosport what would they recommend Mikey? I wonder if these rotors with stock pads would be ok? may be worth a try ...
Old 03-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by chiromikey

I've never tried evosport rotors but I've had the exact same experience with EBC red pads. Yes they were the new versions. Hot spots on the rotor, vibration, and zero confidence in braking power. How long have you had the Akebonos on there? You may want to also try doing a full brake fluid flush. It's relatively easy, just make sure you use MB approved brake fluid, especially since you have a car with SBC. I believe it requires low viscosity fluid.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL55, 2010 C63
When I was trying to get a set of Evosport rotors they didn't recommend EBC pads with them. They said they're too harsh for the rotors.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 SL55, 2010 C63
Just dig through the PMs and they said the EBC will cause hot spots or maybe even crack the rotors. They recommend Akebono pads for the Evosport rotors.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by e1000
I've never tried evosport rotors but I've had the exact same experience with EBC red pads. Yes they were the new versions. Hot spots on the rotor, vibration, and zero confidence in braking power. How long have you had the Akebonos on there? You may want to also try doing a full brake fluid flush. It's relatively easy, just make sure you use MB approved brake fluid, especially since you have a car with SBC. I believe it requires low viscosity fluid.
I'm running Motul 600 and my pedal feels way better than the OEM spec fluid. I'm pretty sure Motul is MB approved though.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by citylightva
I'm running Motul 600 and my pedal feels way better than the OEM spec fluid. I'm pretty sure Motul is MB approved though.
E63 dosen't have SBC and I'm really not sure if the E55 is overly sensitive to aftermarket fluids or not. If I had a SBC equiped car I wouldn't take a chance.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I also have the same set which was purchase and recommended by a supporting vendor. I have the same exact issues as Mike described but now I have slight cracks. I was hoping for some type of resolution but it seems like it wont be happening.

I contacted the vendor but at first but after zero results I contacted Evosport myself. They also claim that my problems were most likely caused by EBC red pads.... I'm not denying this but it would have been great if we were told this from the beginning. It's very easy to say this after the fact through other peoples experiences. It just suck that those unfortunate enough not to read or hear about the warning needs to suffer. Overall I'm a little disappointed with the overall experience of my Evosport rotors and at this point I wouldn't recommend them. I'm still hoping that there's something they could do to help resolve my situation but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

BTW...I have switched to Akebonos and braking has improved slightly but now they squeak....
Old 03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that sucks alan!! luckily i switched mine out very quickly and have no cracks but i don't know what to try next.

Originally Posted by andy_meng1024
Just dig through the PMs and they said the EBC will cause hot spots or maybe even crack the rotors. They recommend Akebono pads for the Evosport rotors.
i'd be willing to bet they only recommended against the red's after complaints. regardless, i went with akebonos after being told that's what evosport now recommends and i'm still having the same problem.

btw, brake fluid was flushed before the rotors were done.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Hey Mikey how did you have the rotor surface cleaned? I'd say there's a good chance that the EBC pad material deposits are still there and that's what's causing your issues. Not sure what to do at this point about it, it may just go away if you put some more miles on the rotors with the akebono pads.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 C55, 09 E350
what did they say about the OEM pads?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:32 AM

I'll trade my brand new stock E55 rotors for your evosport ones if you need them. I'll even pay shipping. I have no issues with using EBC reds on mine. No noise, good braking and no spots. I'd rather have the light rotors though.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by soundeffects
I'll trade my brand new stock E55 rotors for your evosport ones if you need them. I'll even pay shipping. I have no issues with using EBC reds on mine. No noise, good braking and no spots. I'd rather have the light rotors though.
lol, you say you'd rather have light rotors but what will you say when your car doesn't stop!!! i'm not complaining about a cosmetic problem...
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by soundeffects
Would you want them for 2k?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Waiting on a dozen Evosport LTW rotors and have installed many sets on modified cars before and have never experienced issues like this.

I know my clients drive the ***** out of their cars and all of these rotors are going on heavily modified vehicles.

Alan and Mikey........any solutions to your issues?

Last edited by TTMotorsports; 03-26-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:52 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
damn...i was about to place an order for these. back to the drawing board
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Whatever we're tuning!
Originally Posted by beauphus
damn...i was about to place an order for these. back to the drawing board
Your car has to be running in order for your need to brake Aaron!

I thought we decided you were going to do the rotors?

Hit up the tele!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 AM

CLS55 & CL CK60
Shell be ready soon. I need the rotors but not if they're not reliable.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
IMO, it wasn't the rotors that were bad, it was the pads.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Mikey, how old are the Red Stuff pads you were running? EBC changed their Red Stuff pad compound a couple years ago, lots of people were having similar problems with the pads on various makes and models of cars regardless of the rotor manufacturer, it seemed to be magnified on rotors that were both drilled and slotted. You should be able to find some info on Bimmer Forum or 6-Speed, there was a thread on one of those sites regarding this issue. I used to run Reds on one of my M3's and I had the exact same issues that you describe but I was not using evosport rotors, I was running drilled and slotted Rotoras. Even after it was discovered and I changed my brand of pad the brakes never felt quite right, I eventually swapped out for new pads and rotors all the way around and the problem went away. EBC never came out and admitted to the issues but they did advertise and tout their "new and improved Red compound" for quite some time. Maybe the vendor you purchased your Reds from had some old inventory or the distributor you got them from had old compound inventory. I'm not saying this is the problem, but might be worth looking a little deeper into.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Look what I just found...EBC is still making comparisons on their website of their "original Reds" and their "current new ceramic compound" Reds.

Be sure to read the first two paragraphs in their ad to see what I am talking about. Chances are good that you have/had a set of their "old Reds"

Link
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...ake_pads.shtml

One more thing to think about, I know you stated you properly bedded them in, but are you positive? Did you run the new brakes at the drag strip in the first 800 miles? If so you did not properly bed them in, drag racing is torture on pads and rotors, sometimes more so than road racing, reason being that your car sits in a staging lane for an hour the brakes brakes cool down to ambient temps, you make a 125mph pass and then slam on the brakes when they are no where near optimum operating temps. Mikey, since you are such a big drag racer you should not have been running Reds to begin with, you should have been running an entirely different compound all together.

Last edited by jrcart; 03-26-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
I've stayed away from EBC brakes for a long time, hearing more bad then good about their "Stuff" series of pads...a lot of bimmer guys prefer Hawk pads and I use those religiously on my racecar and LOVE them...HT14 F and HT10 R is the current set (or the DTC equivalent) and they work great...a lot of the Porsche community prefer Pagid, many of them use Pagid Orange... On the MB, I don't know if there is a general preference in pads, I use the factory pads now and they seem fine with the factory rotors but I have no idea how they would work with the evosport rotors or any aftermarket rotors for that matter ...anyone have an idea?
Old 03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by jrcart
Look what I just found...EBC is still making comparisons on their website of their "original Reds" and their "current new ceramic compound" Reds.

Be sure to read the first two paragraphs in their ad to see what I am talking about. Chances are good that you have/had a set of their "old Reds"

Link
http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...ake_pads.shtml

One more thing to think about, I know you stated you properly bedded them in, but are you positive? Did you run the new brakes at the drag strip in the first 800 miles? If so you did not properly bed them in, drag racing is torture on pads and rotors, sometimes more so than road racing, reason being that your car sits in a staging lane for an hour the brakes brakes cool down to ambient temps, you make a 125mph pass and then slam on the brakes when they are no where near optimum operating temps. Mikey, since you are such a big drag racer you should not have been running Reds to begin with, you should have been running an entirely different compound all together.
They started using thier new forumulation quite a few years ago and I'd be shocked if Mikey got a set of the old ones. The funniest part of thier comparison is that people had these exact same problems with the old forumula, which they denied over and over again. Now tha the new formula is out, they did a complete 180 and said that they actually did have problems. Either way, I've tried EBC pads on 2 different cars and they both had the exact same issues. I'll never touch another EBC product again, there are too many other good pad options out there.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks for all the help guys! it's too bad evosport won't comment here. anyways, to answer a few more questions...

-the discs were cleaned with a brake disc deglazing pad. it mounts on the end of a 90 degree die grinder and removes just the surface glaze...kinda looks like a high speed sanding disc, but it's specifically made for rotors.

-the pads/rotors were purchased less than a year ago so i'd expect them to be the new compound. however, the rotors were cleaned thoroughly before trying the akebono pads and i still have the problem.

-i put the rotors on just before the dynocomp fiasco with my car so the car never made it to the strip. whether the process is correct or not, the bedding was done according to ebc's specs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: evosport rotors...wtf???