Sponsored by:

evosport rotors...wtf???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
If you don't mind brake dust, and assuming there's an application available for your calipers, I highly recommend Ferodo's DS2500 compound. I've been running pads of that compound with my Brembo Gran Turismo brakes since I installed them, and have nothing but good things to say about the pads.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:37 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bassn_07
I also have the same set which was purchase and recommended by a supporting vendor. I have the same exact issues as Mike described but now I have slight cracks. I was hoping for some type of resolution but it seems like it wont be happening.

I contacted the vendor but at first but after zero results I contacted Evosport myself. They also claim that my problems were most likely caused by EBC red pads.... I'm not denying this but it would have been great if we were told this from the beginning. It's very easy to say this after the fact through other peoples experiences. It just suck that those unfortunate enough not to read or hear about the warning needs to suffer. Overall I'm a little disappointed with the overall experience of my Evosport rotors and at this point I wouldn't recommend them. I'm still hoping that there's something they could do to help resolve my situation but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

BTW...I have switched to Akebonos and braking has improved slightly but now they squeak....
Can you clarify what your dissappoint is specific to the rotors? Let's be realistic here. We can't provide you with information we don't have. So saying it's easy to do so after the fact is only applicable if we were aware of the issues caused by the EBC pads (as far as we can tell) or by not bedding in the brakes properly. So your comments are really unfair. Furthermore, we can't test EVERY possible pad with our rotors.

We have sold HUNDREDS of these kits worldwide without issues to very happy customers who drive their cars very hard. I'm sorry for your experience, but let's not blame the rotor. I'll be happy to help you out with replacement parts as a courtesy.

If anyone has specific issues or questions, please call or email us.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:41 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
McLaren 12C Spider | Lamborghini Superleggera | Porsche 997.2 TT | Cayenne TT | AMG GTS
"I'll be happy to help you out with replacement parts as a courtesy."

I wish that was the attitude all automotive vendors had... Way to step up to the plate
Old 03-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by SANDOVAL

I wish that was the attitude all automotive vendors had... Way to step up to the plate
Evosport is for reall

jsut deal withthem directly

they have great customer service and stand behind their products
Old 03-27-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport;4003818

[B
We have sold HUNDREDS of these kits worldwide without issues[/B]

Well not quite true...since there are members in this thread stating their issues and dissatisfaction with your rotors. Actually the whole reason this thread was started was because a customer had issues.

It doesn't take a marketing guru to realize that for every single complaint that are most likely others out there having issues that simply have not spoken up..or realized them yet.

I find it amazingly arrogant that your response to this issue is to say..."well no one else complained, so it can't be our Uber fantastic, deluxe, world's greatest rotor..."

And by "help" do you mean you are going to give the customer free replacements?
Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Simon @ evosport
Can you clarify what your dissappoint is specific to the rotors? Let's be realistic here. We can't provide you with information we don't have. So saying it's easy to do so after the fact is only applicable if we were aware of the issues caused by the EBC pads (as far as we can tell) or by not bedding in the brakes properly. So your comments are really unfair. Furthermore, we can't test EVERY possible pad with our rotors.

We have sold HUNDREDS of these kits worldwide without issues to very happy customers who drive their cars very hard. I'm sorry for your experience, but let's not blame the rotor. I'll be happy to help you out with replacement parts as a courtesy.
If anyone has specific issues or questions, please call or email us.
Thanks Simon! I spoke with Dale yesterday and he will be getting back to me on Monday. Dale is a great guy and he seems like he is willing to do the right thing. At this time I'm just a little reluctant on taking vendors word due to the fact that very little of them actually honor it. I appreciated Evosport offering to stand behind their product and if or when you guys deliver I will post my results. We are definitely taking a step in the right direction.

Several people have asked me about the rotors and at this time I can't comment nor recommend the rotors due to the fact that I have yet witnessed its potential. I just took a look at my rotors again and I have several 1" cracks forming near the holes.

I now have Akebono pads on them and they seemed to get a little better but they definitely don't have the bite stock rotors and pads do. Going back and forth between two E55's I notice a huge difference in braking power, both with the Akebono and EBC red pads. Like I said, this could very well be the result of the EBC red pads but from here it's all speculation.

I'm looking forward to getting this resolved and truly hope you guys mean what you say. I really want to believe that this will be resolved soon but after 6-8 months I hope you could understand my concerns.

Originally Posted by SANDOVAL

I'm really hoping they honor their word because I just about gave up. I've been dealing with this for some time now and it's been a frustrating ordeal. I took several pictures of the condition of the brakes and initially sent them to James from ACG and never really heard back. We played phone tag for a bit but nothing ever came of it and the buck was passed on to Evosport. Dale acknowledged that Evosprt has the pictures and will be working on a resolution. It's been well over 6-8 months.

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
Well not quite true...since there are members in this thread stating their issues and dissatisfaction with your rotors. Actually the whole reason this thread was started was because a customer had issues.

It doesn't take a marketing guru to realize that for every single complaint that are most likely others out there having issues that simply have not spoken up..or realized them yet.

I find it amazingly arrogant that your response to this issue is to say..."well no one else complained, so it can't be our Uber fantastic, deluxe, world's greatest rotor..."

My dissatisfaction is either from the rotor or the pad but most likely seems like the pad is the culprit. All though this may be true I still have yet felt that these rotors have the WOW factor. Whether or not it's the combination of pads and rotors I don't know, but what I do know is that I won't recommend a product that has yet performed.

I'm really hoping that they do give me a free replacement because either way I'm going to be out more money. I figure it's going to be at least a $200 to swap out all the rotors.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
it sucks to hear that you guys are having problems with those rotors as i have a set myself. i just took a look at mine and so far they seem to be ok, they are still fairly new though. ive been using the akebono pads on them from the start. i will however keep a close eye on them.

i do want to add that dale was great guy and was a pleasure to deal with.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by bassn_07

I just took a look at my rotors again and I have several 1" cracks forming near the holes.
My rotors are completly stock with stock pads and i have heat spots and cracks. Been told its normal if ur heavy on the breaks,a guess 330klm will do that :P.

Plus am due for them been replaced any way, as per service instructions.

gl on ur ordeal, just thought i would mention that stock rotors also get this.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
evosport/simon has agreed to take a look at my rotors which is a great step in the right direction. it's nice to see this compared to some of the other happenings in the tuner marketplace.

i'll keep everyone updated as to the outcome.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:13 PM

2005 E55
If you're going to replace the rotors, try going with slotted only-- should be less chance of cracks developing.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
its good to see the vendor step up. hope it all gets taken care of!
Old 03-27-2010, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey
evosport/simon has agreed to take a look at my rotors which is a great step in the right direction. it's nice to see this compared to some of the other happenings in the tuner marketplace.

+1

Dale and Simon agreed to take care of this situation for me also.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by artowar
If you're going to replace the rotors, try going with slotted only-- should be less chance of cracks developing.
i tried to order slotted only when i first purchased them but was told they were no longer available. if these do get replaced and they're available now, i'm hoping i can get them...
Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I have to ask, WHY do EBC red stuff pads EAT up your rotors, when they work GREAT with OEM from MB, Chrysler, Ford, Chevrolet, GM, BMW, etc, etc

I have used and tracked red stuff pads on MANY cars, and guess what, they NEVER ate a rotor, or caused build up on them, or excessive wear.

I have to believe that the metallurgy on these rotors is too soft to hold up to a good pad. Note, I did not say aggressive pad, as I have used WAY more aggressive pads in my days than EBC red stuff. Think Bendix friction King twos, and Yellowstuff.

Gentlemen, WHAT GIVES HERE?

I find it EXTREMELY odd, that ONLY the EBC red stuff pads are NOT recommended, and other pads are okay.

Did something have to give in order to save the weight maybe?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by chiromikey

Nice Mikey. Glad they are taking care of you.

Originally Posted by MRAMG1
I have to ask, WHY do EBC red stuff pads EAT up your rotors, when they work GREAT with OEM from MB, Chrysler, Ford, Chevrolet, GM, BMW, etc, etc

I have used and tracked red stuff pads on MANY cars, and guess what, they NEVER ate a rotor, or caused build up on them, or excessive wear.

I have to believe that the metallurgy on these rotors is too soft to hold up to a good pad. Note, I did not say aggressive pad, as I have used WAY more aggressive pads in my days than EBC red stuff. Think Bendix friction King twos, and Yellowstuff.

Gentlemen, WHAT GIVES HERE?

I find it EXTREMELY odd, that ONLY the EBC red stuff pads are NOT recommended, and other pads are okay.

Did something have to give in order to save the weight maybe?
They absolutly do not work great with OEM rotors. I had EBC Redstuff pas with OEM rotors and this exact issue came up, I did not track or drag race my car while I had those EBC pads on. I really think EBC has a major QC issue, some of these pads come out great and others have a huge ammount of problems. I'm glad you've never had an issue, but it's quite evident here that many others have had different experiences. In general, why would anyone chance using these pads when there are so many other, better choices. I believe the stock pads are jurid, with the only drawback for daily use is that they dust heavily. Otherwise it's a good, grabby pad, although I couldn't suggest it for track or heavy use.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
Maybe since they are light weight it takes some of the durability out of them
Old 03-27-2010, 10:12 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Worth the wait
No, it IS true. I stated a FACT. We have sold hundreds of these without issues is a fact. That's very different than me saying we've never had an issue. But to my knowledge we have not had this particular issue. One would certainly expect this issue to have come up before. Again, I stated a fact as I certainly have the right to because it is important information. I was not attempting to deflect the issue at hand.

With regards to member being dissatisfied, again, they are certainly dissatisfied that they are having issues. Ths is NOT to say the issue is the rotor. I want to make that clear. Yet you seem convinced otherwise. Perhaps you have information that none of us here have?

I'm really biting my tongue here. What is your predisposition or agenda here? Did you have some really bad experience with a tuner in the past that is manifesting itself now? Please go back and re-read what I wrote before you start posting aggressive and accusational comments. I'm trying to assist the customer and in doing so stated an important fact NOT in any attempt to deflect the issue.

By "help" I mean help. What that ultimately means has yet to be determined. Should the customer choose to post his experiences thereafter, you will have your answer then.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by e1000

They absolutly do not work great with OEM rotors. I had EBC Redstuff pas with OEM rotors and this exact issue came up, I did not track or drag race my car while I had those EBC pads on. I really think EBC has a major QC issue, some of these pads come out great and others have a huge ammount of problems. I'm glad you've never had an issue, but it's quite evident here that many others have had different experiences. In general, why would anyone chance using these pads when there are so many other, better choices. I believe the stock pads are jurid, with the only drawback for daily use is that they dust heavily. Otherwise it's a good, grabby pad, although I couldn't suggest it for track or heavy use.
Well, this is where I have to disagree with you again my friend.

I tracked my C32 HARD, and to the best of my belief it is a Mercedes Benz, and it did have stock rotors. Now with that being said, the stock brake pads would fade after 16-18 minutes on a tight track. Switched to EBC red stuff, and guess what, they NEVER faded during a whole 25-28 minute session. Same tracks, and almost forget, better tires, which meant HIGHER speeds so even MORE braking.

AS far as dust, they wore about half of the oem pads.

I don't know what they shipped you my friend. But after my very first track day with Red stuff, I switch to them for ALL of my cars.

Which is why I included that list of brands, because those are the cars that I had and have first hand knowledge on the subject of brake pads.

Oh well, not trying to bust your stones, but I have yet to find an all around pad as good as EBC red stuff. They are track worthy, low dust, rotor friendly, and flat out work.

If I do find a better pad, I will gladly switch all mine out again
Old 03-28-2010, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time

I tracked my C32 HARD, and to the best of my belief it is a Mercedes Benz, and it did have stock rotors. Now with that being said, the stock brake pads would fade after 16-18 minutes on a tight track. Switched to EBC red stuff, and guess what, they NEVER faded during a whole 25-28 minute session. Same tracks, and almost forget, better tires, which meant HIGHER speeds so even MORE braking.

I don't know what they shipped you my friend. But after my very first track day with Red stuff, I switch to them for ALL of my cars.

Which is why I included that list of brands, because those are the cars that I had and have first hand knowledge on the subject of brake pads.

Oh well, not trying to bust your stones, but I have yet to find an all around pad as good as EBC red stuff. They are track worthy, low dust, rotor friendly, and flat out work.

We've had this discussion before. I'm pretty sure I'm not about to change your opinion on EBC, and you sure as hell won't get me to buy any of thier products in the forseeable future.

If anyone wants to read, check here. Similar discussion, many people had bad experiences with EBC, with MRAMG1 stating that they are a great pad. The absolutely could have worked out for him, but many others have had not so favorable results, including myself, and now it seems like some here on the w211 AMG forum.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
I'm not a 100% positive the EBC red pads were the cause but I could tell you that I would never buy another set. I'm just glad Evopsort opted to stand behind their product with full support. Akebonos will be the choice of brakes for me here on out.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
What's wrong with putting on a new set of factory pads with the Evosport rotors?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
What's wrong with putting on a new set of factory pads with the Evosport rotors?
absolutely nothing but some people don't like how the stock pads dust
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by e1000
absolutely nothing but some people don't like how the stock pads dust
Oh ok well it seems as if the dust would be easier to deal with than all of this drama just my .55
Old 03-28-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series

Its great you love your Reds, but IMO they suck! I have had problems with them in the past od OEM and aftermarket rotors. EBC makes the best motorcycle pads money can buy, some of their pads for lightweight imports are good too, but they are lagging in the performance category for high HP cars overs about 3400 pounds. There are threads on all the forums with people griping about EBC Red pads, if you are happy with them good for you but there are a half dozen other pads out there that will outperform them on your 4000 pound CLS.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by jrcart
Its great you love your Reds, but IMO they suck! I have had problems with them in the past od OEM and aftermarket rotors. EBC makes the best motorcycle pads money can buy, some of their pads for lightweight imports are good too, but they are lagging in the performance category for high HP cars overs about 3400 pounds. There are threads on all the forums with people griping about EBC Red pads, if you are happy with them good for you but there are a half dozen other pads out there that will outperform them on your 4000 pound CLS.
I hear you, and agree about the bikes as well. But would you please enlighten me about the "Better Pads". I live within a stones throw from Beaverun, and travel frequently to Nelson ledges. Granted, I only compete/watch in Grassroots motor racing, AKA CHEAP. But ALL of my friends and numerous competitors like EBC both red and yellow. Just Please don't tell me you like pagid my friend.

PS: There are also numerous threads form members beside me that LIKE their EBC's as well. So IMHO, opinions are like, well you can fill in the blank. But track results are what I base my opinions on. AS I am sure you do to

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: evosport rotors...wtf???