Sponsored by:

My next mod.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bicycle
Originally Posted by stevebez
The Kleemann have visibily different lobes to OEM. Lobes have straighter ramps and fatter. Whatever that does I dunno - I dont think overall lift is much higher if at all. I measured them up with a micrometer but I dunno what I did with the data. I am sure its on the forum somewhere on the big cam comparison thread.

Kleemann say 10-20 hp depending on the base setup you have ... the more you are flowing the more the cams help....

Its true you cannot go agressive here and the PTE solution has it maxed out... flowing the heads is also worth a fair bit of power according to Kleemann.

For me Kleemann cams and ported heads are about the most you can do ... not taking away from the PTE arrangement but it does seem they need custom tuning to get the best out of them.

I am waiting on some Cam dyno charts from Kleemann and Ill post it up.

Ah also - they said the cams add power throughout the curve - at no point is power lower. Again a few mods have made me as happy as the cams - I would say almost on par with the pulley upgrade...
A note on cam lobes, Since there is limited room to increase lift on the cam what is left is changing the shape of the lobe, by making it more vertical(called the ramp) the can open the valve faster and then they can flatten out the top of the lobe making it longer(this is duration) so the basic effect is a valve that opens fast and stays open longer allowing the the cylinder to fill longer and exspell better. In the end your engine is nothing more than a air pump, the more air in and the more out the more HP it will make.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by sneakyneon
A note on cam lobes, Since there is limited room to increase lift on the cam what is left is changing the shape of the lobe, by making it more vertical(called the ramp) the can open the valve faster and then they can flatten out the top of the lobe making it longer(this is duration) so the basic effect is a valve that opens fast and stays open longer allowing the the cylinder to fill longer and exspell better. In the end your engine is nothing more than a air pump, the more air in and the more out the more HP it will make.
Yup, agreed. Although I am curious why would this allow the engine to rev more freely ... is it a function of the lobe design and valve mechanics or a function of the power / torque developed?

The OEM lobe ramps are almost concave, the kleemans are straight line from base to peak from what i remember.

I remember reading somewhere (a very long time ago) is that all else being equall all a cam can do is move the torque curve up and down the rev range and cannot develop more torque. Perhaps F/I is different...

Sorry dont want to go OT here but I find this stuff interesting as heck!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by bassn_07
There's one item that I'm on the fence about....titanium retainer rings. Most say to do it just because my tech will be right there, I need more then that to proceed. It's only a few hundred bucks but I need to fully understand the purpose of anything before it gets installed on my car. If any of you guys could fill me in on the pros/cons vs stock retainers it would be appreciated.

Just to note - I understand that they will allow for higher RPM's without valve float, but how and why? Thanks again guys and I honestly believe 10.4-10.5's will be here at traps near a 135 mph will soon be here.

I may also install a torque converter to help get me into the cams powerband a little quicker. Could anyone suggest a well known shop that makes them for our cars other than Eurocharge.

Hey Alan, Titanium retainers are a great way to reduce weight from the valve train. They are strong. Good insurance for the motor. They will not hurt you that's for sure, especially if you plan to raise your rev limiter. You should be thinking about stiffer valve springs as well. The titanium retainers should go hand in hand with the springs.

High stall tq converter should help too. Cant wait to see what you will run. BTW did you properly cool the motor pre dyno run like you may do at the track? Or was it heat soaked pulls? Just curious if you decide to cool down iats before scrapping that idea of increasing boost.

Have you considered a good methanol kit? I certainly would if I was running your mods. Go get em buddy!

Last edited by Max.H; 04-27-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Max.H
Go get em buddy!

Max what's up bro? how/where have you been?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How much weight do u save on the valve train with titanium retainers?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:26 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Retainer weight

Stock is 18.61 Grams & Titanium is 10.22 Grams. VRP / Victor posted some pictures at one time , & I might have too. I do stock this these. Cheers _PTEngineering
Old 04-28-2010, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Since I'm tearing down my motor to fix an exhaust valve/compression issue and install titanium rods, I will check my valve clearance with the VRP/PTE cams and see if I have room for more lift. If so then I'll look into getting longer rocker arms made out of titanium. That should lighten up the valve train further and free up a few more horses on the top end. I'll keep you all posted..
Old 04-28-2010, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Havoc
Since I'm tearing down my motor to fix an exhaust valve/compression issue and install titanium rods, I will check my valve clearance with the VRP/PTE cams and see if I have room for more lift. If so then I'll look into getting longer rocker arms made out of titanium. That should lighten up the valve train further and free up a few more horses on the top end. I'll keep you all posted..
Havoc, how's your build coming along? I remember the very first mod I had done at Vadim's your car was sitting in front. It seems as though it's been forever, I could only imagine how you feel. I look forward to the completion of your build! Please keep us posted.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
Havoc, how's your build coming along? I remember the very first mod I had done at Vadim's your car was sitting in front. It seems as though it's been forever, I could only imagine how you feel. I look forward to the completion of your build! Please keep us posted.
Yeah, it has been forever! I dropped off my car there Jan ’08. Hey, I told Vadim to take his time, which he has. I can’t fault him for that!

Currently my project is at a stand still again. Vadim got my 5.7L running, but that’s it. No headers and exhaust, crank pulley, HE cooling, 82mm Throttle body, and he never connected the top mounted coolers. What’s worse is when I was driving it last it dropped an exhaust valve and lost compression. So it’s time to move on. At least I have the ability to look back and laugh.

When I return stateside I’ll bring it to Evosport to have them complete the build. No worries brother, I’m still excited about my project and on track to build the strongest 55K ever!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Havoc
Yeah, it has been forever! I dropped off my car there Jan ’08. Hey, I told Vadim to take his time, which he has. I can’t fault him for that!

Currently my project is at a stand still again. Vadim got my 5.7L running, but that’s it. No headers and exhaust, crank pulley, HE cooling, 82mm Throttle body, and he never connected the top mounted coolers. What’s worse is when I was driving it last it dropped an exhaust valve and lost compression. So it’s time to move on. At least I have the ability to look back and laugh.

When I return stateside I’ll bring it to Evosport to have them complete the build. No worries brother, I’m still excited about my project and on track to build the strongest 55K ever!
Havoc, I'm sorry to hear that.... I was really thinking (and hoping) that your project would be the one that Vadim completes/concludes this year, as it sounded so promising and so close. Why did you guys stop? It seems like the hard part (the engine) is done. The headers, throttle-bodies, HE, etc.... is the easy part
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Havoc, I'm sorry to hear that.... I was really thinking (and hoping) that your project would be the one that Vadim completes/concludes this year, as it sounded so promising and so close. Why did you guys stop? It seems like the hard part (the engine) is done. The headers, throttle-bodies, HE, etc.... is the easy part
Thanks man! Yeah, the hard part was over, but Vadim was going through a lot of personal and business issues and I didn't want to have my car and project in the middle of all of that drama. He was in between shops and staff and didn't do much work on it in the last 6 months. I got tired of seeing little to no progress every time I returned home from a deployment. It was time for me to move on since I gave him more than enough time to complete it with no results. He himself told me he was sorry for failing me. Yeah, that’s a sign..

No worries bro! My build will be completed by the end of this year. Evosport will not only complete it but get it done in a timely professional manner. Stay tuned!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Max what's up bro? how/where have you been?
Yoo Hammaaa!! Been good, just chilling... Snowboarding?! Hope all is well with my AMG brothas!
Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Cams are in and all he needs to do is finish up a few things which inlcude mounting the SC and she should be fired up this evening. Damn...I'm getting really excited about this. I'll post back one I hear something.

Yo Max, what up brotha! It's been a long while bro, give me a shout when you have some free time.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Cams are in and all he needs to do is finish up a few things which inlcude mounting the SC and she should be fired up this evening. Damn...I'm getting really excited about this. I'll post back one I hear something.

Yo Max, what up brotha! It's been a long while bro, give me a shout when you have some free time.
And the beast is alive....
Old 05-09-2010, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S

I can hear the lope from 45 miles away
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
I can hear the lope from 45 miles away
Hey Jack, did you make a decision on the headers yet? I can't wait to see what your car can do fully modded.... you're almost at 11.6s already
Old 05-10-2010, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
My tech is bad a$$$$, the car is up and running with no adjustment needed to the idle. I haven't heard it yet but he said it has a slightly rougher idle but nothing significant. He also mentioned that the idle could be adjusted but at this point it would only be a matter of personal preference. To tell the truth a slight lope idle sound pretty dams sexy.

I have a few more things to get done due to the fact that I lagged on ordering parts . Man oh man this is getting fricken exciting. As I promised I'll have a full write up with dyno sheets, track ET's, traps, and drive-ability. These cams will be custom tuned along with my other new mod..... In 10 more days and we'll have all the info needed, tune day on Thursday and track day on Friday.

Stay tuned..................
Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2006 CLS55 & 2002 SL55 (R129) Silver Arrow
Looking forward to your feedback on the cams. I'm sure you will be pleased once they're dialed in.
If you dont mind the rougher idle or your tech can smooth it you'll be in great shape. You'll feel the difference the second you get on the throttle, thats how aggressive these cams are.

Your input helps the community Alan, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Alan, Your car will be unique with these new Mods. I see a 10.50 or better in her, if you hook. Eagerly awaiting driving impressions and butt seat dyno.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Hey Jack, did you make a decision on the headers yet? I can't wait to see what your car can do fully modded.... you're almost at 11.6s already
Hey Mo, no I haven't decided which header to go with yet but I'm working on something
Old 05-10-2010, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Awesome Alan! Can't wait to see the results.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
To tell the truth a slight lope idle sound pretty dams sexy.
I can't wait to hear it
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
This is awesome!! I can't wait.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
When do we get some video/sound clips?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My next mod.....