W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: Rear tire blow out and my power steering is gone/?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi s6
Help: Rear tire blow out and my power steering is gone/?

Driving on the highway this morning and I started to notice a weird noise. It got louder and it then started to sound like a tire. I pulled over to find my right rear tire was flat. On further inspection the inside had completely shredded? I did not hit anything that would have caused the flat and the tires are relatively new. The other tire seems to have camber wear though as well.

Anyways, I had a spare and put it on. When I turned the car on I noticed the ABS light and ESP light malfunction was both on>??? I figured it was because of the smaller rear tire and it was normal. I drove about 5 miles and noticed that the steering was getting very heavy..>I started to drive to Mercedes Benz and when i pulled in I could barely turn the wheel.

I popped the hood and did not notice any belts that came off or any pulley issues. The car was extremely hot - the engine seemed hotter than normal but it was low 80;s today. It has not been this hot in a while so that is probably normal...

I the tech asked me if it was lowered and that the larger wheels would probably mess up the sensors in the car I told him he was nutz and that wheel diameter is the same rolling diameter as the 18' wheel and tire... He then said I probably blew a ABS sensor on the rear wheel and maybe a coincidence that the power steering pump failed as well.
I asked him to keep the car till Monday and have the Service advisor that I know look at the car for me instead.
I do have underdrive pulleys but as stated before none of them seemed in bad shape or damaged. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by wizos6; 04-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Audi s6
Anyone? I have searched till my eyes bleed...
Old 04-12-2010, 12:49 AM

2005 E55 / 2001 e39 M5
Originally Posted by wizos6
Anyone? I have searched till my eyes bleed...
Reset your ECU- I had a blowout and only had a drag radial to use as a spare...after about half a mile the ESP light came on and error messages told me to visit workshop...powersteering and boost were both shut off...almost like car as in "dyno" mode, but with no boost. A true limp home...

I removed the battery cables overnight, and when I woke up and reconnected the message was still there. Replaced the tire and cleared the code and it was fine.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:41 PM

2006 E55
wow.. the exact same thing happened to me this past saturday. My rear right tire blew, and after I put on the spare my car went on "limp mode". Steering wheel was extremely heavy and my car would not get out of 1st gear after I put on the spare tire. Is like it didn't want me to go faster than 30 mph.

Im actually getting a new set of tires put on this afternoon so hopefully once the spare tire is out my car will go back to normal.

Is all of these normal when you put on the spare tire? My car is completely stock too.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:22 PM

2012 E63 TT Wagon
Tire

Wow I had a Left rear tire flat on the way to Vegas this last weekend. 100 Miles from Vegas. Pulled over and called Triple AAA, I changed the tire (space saver spare). Noticed Grease on inside of wheel. Looked at the Hub, CV area and Grease in that area. Decided to Flatbed into Vegas. Inside of tire was split and didn't run over anything. left car at Dealer and they are tearing the wheel assembly apart today. They said automatice new CV under warrantee because it was low on grease, and then maybe the Hib assembly has a problem.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Audi s6
Please keep me up to date when you put the new tire on to see what happens...I wont be able to get new tire for about 4 days bc the 285-25-20 is not kept in stock at most places.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by wizos6
Please keep me up to date when you put the new tire on to see what happens...I wont be able to get new tire for about 4 days bc the 285-25-20 is not kept in stock at most places.
how do u like that head unit? i had mine installed and the screen went only a week after installing it
Old 04-13-2010, 11:19 AM

2006 E55
Ok here is the update...

I got my set of 4 new tires today... The power steering, ABS and ESP are back to working normally. The car seems to be driving fine but now my "check engine" light is on, so I don't know what is going on with that.

If I unplug my battery to reset the ECU will that clear my check engine light? if so how long should I disconnect my battery for?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
Originally Posted by iceman-kimster
Ok here is the update...

I got my set of 4 new tires today... The power steering, ABS and ESP are back to working normally. The car seems to be driving fine but now my "check engine" light is on, so I don't know what is going on with that.

If I unplug my battery to reset the ECU will that clear my check engine light? if so how long should I disconnect my battery for?
it should clear it, wait about 5 mins
Old 04-13-2010, 11:36 AM

2006 E55
will do that today... thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Audi s6
I was also informed today that the speed sensor goes crazy especially with larger diameter wheels and the spare on there- u cannot use a small spare on rear aparently?
I also need a serious alignment according to tech... U wanna play u gotta pay... Dammit!!