W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do people generally know what these things have in them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Hey- I'm an old fart. None the less.. What was I going to say? oh- Infiniti, thanks for your support. I am hearing the "Pants on the ground" song now.. thanks!

As for name calling: Ricker... You are a poop-head! <pwned in the face!>

And I still love the glorious calipers// 6200 + posts.. OMFG, now I see the light!
Old 05-03-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
WoW, is this the way we treat newbie here ? come one guys, cool down !
Enjoy our Benz !
Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
Im just glad my thread sparked some conversation Plus, I know there are a-holes in EVERY forum.

I plan on more stories for ricks approval :P

I just saw a carrera gt in the parking lot.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, S550
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
WoW, is this the way we treat newbie here ? come one guys, cool down !
Enjoy our Benz !
You can't officially join the community unless you are jumped in
Old 05-03-2010, 05:41 PM

E63, S550
Originally Posted by Bramage
I'm sure you beat it too even though it had a ten second head start with a tail wind going downhill while you had a head wind going uphill and had an anchor chained to the back of your car with wild ponies pulling the opposite direction

LOL, just bustin your *****. A thick skin is needed to stay happy around here
Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
Originally Posted by Bramage
Im just glad my thread sparked some conversation Plus, I know there are a-holes in EVERY forum.

I plan on more stories for ricks approval :P

Your original post explains how our cars return the favor.
Always good reading for a monday and you still owe us some
pics!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
As the 55 ages and the used prices become dirt cheap (less than brand new Japanese appliance cars), the demographic will change accordingly. This happens all the time and in other forums, too.

The 55 is a comfortable and fast sedan, but don't assume just because you own one right now that's it's somehow the greatest and fastest thing on wheels. It's getting on in years and newer cars of any make are just going to be better and faster. Pretty soon it'll be a yesteryear car, old and tired. And you'll be going on to something bigger and better. It's all relative, you know.

btw, I like when people say "I'm shopping for a new car" when they're actually out looking for a used car. It's also why "which extended warranty should I get" is now such a common thread, too.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by 220S
As the 55 ages and the used prices become dirt cheap (less than brand new Japanese appliance cars), the demographic will change accordingly. This happens all the time and in other forums, too.

The 55 is a comfortable and fast sedan, but don't assume just because you own one right now that's it's somehow the greatest and fastest thing on wheels. It's getting on in years and newer cars of any make are just going to be better and faster. Pretty soon it'll be a yesteryear car, old and tired. And you'll be going on to something bigger and better. It's all relative, you know.

btw, I like when people say "I'm shopping for a new car" when they're actually out looking for a used car. It's also why "which extended warranty should I get" is now such a common thread, too.
+ 1 right on the money
Old 05-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Vic55
Take it down a notch here guys--- enjoy the story and question it if need be but be respectful and educate not throw the internet beat down.
I think you hit "invisible mode" before you posted this. I can appreciate your quest for peace and love among MBworld members but sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the show.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Rock
I think you hit "invisible mode" before you posted this. I can appreciate your quest for peace and love among MBworld members but sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the show.
Yo David! Vic knows what's up & is prolly @ this thread as we speak...
Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL

Originally Posted by Thericker
+ 1 right on the money
The statement is coming off a bit pretentious to me. Maybe this thread is just destined to spark controversy.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cal1
The statement is coming off a bit pretentious to me. Maybe this thread is just destined to spark controversy.

I have to agree with 220S to a point, but I can definitely sense some hostility around here. The E55 crowd is changing, and I have a feeling in the back of my mind that some of those who bought these things new for 3-4 times what they're selling for now may feel a little, I don't know, uneasy about the affordibility and lack of exclusivity. Maybe not, but that's the feeling I get sometimes. I'm sure the owners of Gallardos and F430's would be pretty unhappy if their cars were suddenly selling for $50K.

The 55 is not the newest and fastest, but aside from the S65 it has to be one of the best sleepers around that nobody suspects. No one ever believes me when I tell them what it runs. There are even people who see the timeslip and still don't believe it. I bought mine because it was dirt cheap for what it has to offer and can run with a Vette/Camaro/Cobra/BMW M/etc while still offering the utility and comfort of a big 4-door car with a huge trunk.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Uhhh, no. Although there are plenty of little ricer wanna be's that now own, for a few cents on the dollar, what I paid 100K+ for, the hostility is pointed towards the BS story lines of that same new owner group that wasn't here posting that kind of bull**** when I and many others bought these cars new. Glad you can now afford one, but that's not Ricker's issue, sorry.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 PM

---
Ricker you rock.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just for the record, I wasn't trying to be pretentious. I was being realistic albeit with a little bit of sarcasm. But the fact is that these cars are getting somewhat long in the tooth. Don't get me wrong, they are great for what they are. But they aren't the fastest or best thing on the road, especially as new models of performance cars keep constantly upping the ante.

fwiw, I bought a new 2009 W211 E63 last year. Yeah, it's depreciated faster than a rock in water although I knew that going into it (I did get 29k off MSRP which was why I decided to buy it in the first place.) And in a few years, used W212 E63s will be on the market for cheap, too, as the new TTs arrive.

And when that happens, my old W211 E63 will be sold cheap to somebody who couldn't afford a new one or maybe never had a fast and expensive car before, and they'll think it's the cat's meow. That's what really makes this car sell on the used market: a big bang for the buck. New owners pop up on these boards almost daily.

But these cars do get old fast. It used to be not so much, but technology and manufacturing has really sped up model year differences. The first E63 was just introduced in 2007. Now we're all waiting for the new TTs arrive. That's crazy when you think about it. Talk about planned obsolescence.

The truth is that this is happening with most mass produced performance higher end cars. They start to spill into the used market for cheap and then you get more "me faster than you" threads and a whole shift in type of ownership. And that's what causes friction.

It's the same with 997s, M6s, M5s, etc., etc..

No biggie, but just pointing it out.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:48 PM

2005 Silver E55
I can see us now. all holding hands and singing , What the world needs now is Love sweet Love. la la la la,

not
Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 AM

BMW 545i, BMW X3, 2004 Mercedes Benz E55
220s I myself am 28 I know when the AMG came out I could not afford one but as time passed I bought at age 25 my first car a 2004 BMW 545i, and I always thought it was the best looking car and fastest car out there. And I knew it was not true because a lot of people did not like the design of Chris Bangle but I love it. Love the way the mean eyes looked at you, how the lines flow from the tail lights. And I still have that car to date. And I still think is the best thing out there. I know is age specially for the 5 series but I love it is a classy design just like the E39 5 series body style. I don't care if its getting out dated or if new technology on newer cars make things better, faster, for me is always been the drive. I would not trade my BMW for any car (except the upcoming BMW M5). Same thing goes for my 2004 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG that I just bought, I bought it because I love the E-Class, always have. It is one great design better looking then the new one. I Still think is the fastest 4 door saloon out there and I don't care if anybody has a 2010 car ill race you and smoke you. Even if I loose you still loosing to a 6 year old car who you had to do all that work to beat me. You have fuel saving technology and new tech that will make everyone envy, but my envy is in that engine. Nothing else. Keep all the new cars ill still pick a Chevy Corvette Stingray for the way it looks. Ill still race you on my E39 M5. Its not about having the newest is about enjoying what you have and just driving the S*** out of it. Who care if people who buy a 2005 BMW M5 think is the fastest I think it is.

Just my 2 pennies
Old 05-04-2010, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kakorat
220s I myself am 28 I know when the AMG came out I could not afford one but as time passed I bought at age 25 my first car a 2004 BMW 545i, and I always thought it was the best looking car and fastest car out there. And I knew it was not true because a lot of people did not like the design of Chris Bangle but I love it. Love the way the mean eyes looked at you, how the lines flow from the tail lights. And I still have that car to date. And I still think is the best thing out there. I know is age specially for the 5 series but I love it is a classy design just like the E39 5 series body style. I don't care if its getting out dated or if new technology on newer cars make things better, faster, for me is always been the drive. I would not trade my BMW for any car (except the upcoming BMW M5). Same thing goes for my 2004 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG that I just bought, I bought it because I love the E-Class, always have. It is one great design better looking then the new one. I Still think is the fastest 4 door saloon out there and I don't care if anybody has a 2010 car ill race you and smoke you. Even if I loose you still loosing to a 6 year old car who you had to do all that work to beat me. You have fuel saving technology and new tech that will make everyone envy, but my envy is in that engine. Nothing else. Keep all the new cars ill still pick a Chevy Corvette Stingray for the way it looks. Ill still race you on my E39 M5. Its not about having the newest is about enjoying what you have and just driving the S*** out of it. Who care if people who buy a 2005 BMW M5 think is the fastest I think it is.

Just my 2 pennies
Say what? WTF?

Uh, well, I guess thanks for proving the point......
Old 05-04-2010, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by kakorat

Just my 2 pennies
This is good stuff. I understood none of it but I did enjoy the passion. T.S. Eliot has nothing on you.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Haha you guys are funny! I do not agree with some of the posts about the w211 e55 becoming outdated as far as looks. When I think of outdated I start to think about the W210 where up to about two years ago still looked somewhat modern, but with all these car manufacturers coming out with thick, wide, and bold body paneling a change of paradigm has occurred. All the cheap cars like camry's, maxima's, altima's, and etc which are modern looking today have really taken a queue from high end luxury cars such as our E55's that came out almost seven years ago which says something. In addition, with a simple front end update our E55's can gain years of life.

I think it is funny if anyone has seen that ford commercial where all they talk about are the ventilated seats as though that is some type of new technology when we have had that for seven years! It just tells me how Mercedes is the leader in innovation and how we are lucky to have had these features for such a long time before they got filtered down to these pieces of crap that GM, Ford, and other manufacturers produce.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Back to the original question, where I live it does not seem as though anybody has a clue what my car is besides its a Mercedes. A few of my friends who know cars would kill to have an E55 and love it. It is funny because where I live there are a ton of Chrysler 300's and everyone who drives one thinks they are the biggest pimp and badass, and when they see my car they do not even think anything of it, and than I stomp the hell out of them!!!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 AM

germans
Originally Posted by Fast55
Uhhh, no. Although there are plenty of little ricer wanna be's that now own, for a few cents on the dollar, what I paid 100K+ for, the hostility is pointed towards the BS story lines of that same new owner group that wasn't here posting that kind of bull**** when I and many others bought these cars new. Glad you can now afford one, but that's not Ricker's issue, sorry.

bingo!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:20 AM

germans
Say what? WTF?

Uh, well, I guess thanks for proving the point......
I think english is the posters second language.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Just for the record, I wasn't trying to be pretentious. I was being realistic albeit with a little bit of sarcasm. But the fact is that these cars are getting somewhat long in the tooth. Don't get me wrong, they are great for what they are. But they aren't the fastest or best thing on the road, especially as new models of performance cars keep constantly upping the ante.

fwiw, I bought a new 2009 W211 E63 last year. Yeah, it's depreciated faster than a rock in water although I knew that going into it (I did get 29k off MSRP which was why I decided to buy it in the first place.) And in a few years, used W212 E63s will be on the market for cheap, too, as the new TTs arrive.

And when that happens, my old W211 E63 will be sold cheap to somebody who couldn't afford a new one or maybe never had a fast and expensive car before, and they'll think it's the cat's meow. That's what really makes this car sell on the used market: a big bang for the buck. New owners pop up on these boards almost daily.

But these cars do get old fast. It used to be not so much, but technology and manufacturing has really sped up model year differences. The first E63 was just introduced in 2007. Now we're all waiting for the new TTs arrive. That's crazy when you think about it. Talk about planned obsolescence.

The truth is that this is happening with most mass produced performance higher end cars. They start to spill into the used market for cheap and then you get more "me faster than you" threads and a whole shift in type of ownership. And that's what causes friction.

It's the same with 997s, M6s, M5s, etc., etc..

No biggie, but just pointing it out.
I got you now. Sarcasm can be tough to convey in a thread. Some guys (like me) just don’t pick up on it.

By the way, I did not mean to do the big text. Chock that one up to presbyopia.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

F-250
I am sorry some of you guys are so agitated. Maybe there is a whole subset of gangster wannbes "rollin' hard" in what was exclusivity. I am an older professional, and could afford a new merc, although a new E63 would create a bit of an argument around the house. The (pre-owned) vehicles have become affordable, but there are not a ton of them out there. They simply didn't make that many in comparison. I don't like retail or depreciation. That said, the cars I buy will likely be replaced within 3-4 years. By not footing the depreciation, it makes that a much easier task.

Now- The fervor over my story is hinged on a deeper discontent. I am sorry for that, but it's not my problem. The point of this thread was this: Most people do not know that the E55 has the power it does- The end. The examples I cited were true, and all variables are just that- variables. Maybe neither even gave it gas.. who cares. Bottom line, the E55 hauls ***, and I love it, and that’s all I care about.

For ricker to condemn with such aggression simply portrays a level of immaturity that I don’t expect from this forum. He has his opinion and I have mine.

One of my favorite parts of the E55 is the sleeper aspect. You don’t have that with the S600TT

Last edited by Bramage; 05-04-2010 at 10:41 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do people generally know what these things have in them?