W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Benz getting more aggresive hunting for ECU tunes at dealers. Heads up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Benz getting more aggresive hunting for ECU tunes at dealers. Heads up!

Great talk catching up with my buddy who works at the local Stealer.

He said for the first time he noticed a bulletin come through on Star about "how to uncover aftermarket tuning" on cars coming through the shop.

He didn't say it was required for techs to snoop, but obviously Benz is jumping in early with this as we approach nirvana of a Twin Turbd V8 E55.

Wouldn't doubt if they eventually will alter Star Das to check the ECU and alert the tech about aftermarket.

Also bet they are gonna be highly guarded over my old idea of just "buying a spare ecu" and swapping out for service.

Can't wait. I just LOVE this cat and mouse stuff.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

He said for the first time he noticed a bulletin come through on Star about "how to uncover aftermarket tuning" on cars coming through the shop.

He didn't say it was required for techs to snoop, but obviously Benz is jumping in early with this as we approach nirvana of a Twin Turbd V8 E55.

Wouldn't doubt if they eventually will alter Star Das to check the ECU and alert the tech about aftermarket.

Also bet they are gonna be highly guarded over my old idea of just "buying a spare ecu" and swapping out for service.

I'm not worried about that as much as I'm worried about the encryption and difficulty they will employ on the new ECUs
Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
The newer BMW's actully have an "after market tuning device detected" code. Unbelievable!

One way around the Mercedes issue is to have a flash drive and flash the ecu back to stock for the dealer visit. While not foolproof, should suffice.

The new amg engine is going to be a whole new ball game. Might have to resort back to the rice days and just slap a $40 manual boost control on those engines....lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
if you connect your car to STAR DAS you can look at the ecu reflash table and see how and when the ecu has been reflased.
I guess the techs have this at their disposal but never really cared too much to look for ECU modifications.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
havent tuned the E55 yet

but for my 996tt i got a tune, worked great

has the ability to go to different modes, 91 oct, 93 oct, 104 oct, and STOCK MODE, all controlled by the cruise control arm

completely invisible to DEALERS

anyone know if i can do something like this for my e55
Old 05-25-2010, 03:58 PM

2003 E55 AMG
Yes, you can do multiple map tuning.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by BenJ
Yes, you can do multiple map tuning.
really who does this, and how do you change between tunes on the fly? i am not talking about the small box that connects to the OBDii port and you have to upload the tune file each time you want to swap.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
the 996tt was done through APR

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up...ml#ecupurchase
Old 05-25-2010, 04:39 PM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
How EMCS Works

Step 1

Press and hold the "set" button on your cruise control. After approximately five seconds, the "check engine" light on your dash will begin to blink once per second. This will tell you that you are activating program one. This blinking sequence will continue for approximately five seconds.
After this five second interval, the "check engine" light will begin blinking twice per second. This will indicate that you have activated the second program. This process is continued to access any remaining programs you may have purchased. (three blinks = program three, four blinks = program four).
Step 2

Once you have activated the desired program, simply release the "set" button. The "check engine" light will stop flashing. Turn the ignition key off for 10 seconds, turn the key back on, and you will be locked in that program until you change it again.
It's that simple.

Available Features

APR's EMCS is a truly modular system that allows for future enhancements and features to be added as they are developed without the need for additional hardware. EMCS makes the following advanced features possible:
  • Program Switching Enables you to swap between two or more engine programs using the cruise control stalk. All cars have stock and standard chipped program versions available. Valet, race-gas, and other specialty programs are available for most models.
  • Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment (FCE/TBA) Fault Code Erase allows you to erase and reset engine related trouble codes without having to use a specialty tool. Throttle Body Alignment allows you to manually perform throttle-body adaptation.
  • Security Lockout Prevents unauthorized personnel from accessing EMCS functions. The user may select any 2 to 4 digit security code. The security code is entered using the cruise control buttons.
  • Anti-Theft You can render your car immobile to thieves, even if there is an attempt to start the car with your own key! For more information about Anti-Theft, click here.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:41 PM

03 E55 AMG - 01 996 TT
Anyone know of anything like this for the E55?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
The newer BMW's actully have an "after market tuning device detected" code. Unbelievable!

One way around the Mercedes issue is to have a flash drive and flash the ecu back to stock for the dealer visit. While not foolproof, should suffice.

The new amg engine is going to be a whole new ball game. Might have to resort back to the rice days and just slap a $40 manual boost control on those engines....lol.
The BMW ECU actually caches number of flashes it also will store peak values like boost...It's pretty easy for them to figure out if you're flashed even if you flash it back...I wouldn't be surprised if MB does this with the turbos...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Is ECU tuning really necessary for a TTV8?

I remember in the good ole days, we would slap on an HKS electronic valve controller to keep the wastegate closed long enough to build higher boost. At boost levels that made sense with stock turbos, the stock ECU and injectors would be able to call for sufficient fuel to give you safe, moderate hp gains.

Do we think that these upcoming ECU's will override the ability to do that?

I understand the modern preference for tuning the ECU to keep the wastegate closed longer than stock programming calls for in order to generate higher boost levels, but can't the same result be obtained safely with a manual override of the wastegate, like an EVC?

I have been out of the tuning game for a long time, so I am more than prepared to be corrected.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C55,SL55,C63
You could get a RENNtech R.A.T. remote tuner. With a RAT, you can have a stock, performance, and race fuel files at your finger tips. Load up the file and hit the road.

The days of mailing your ECU in for tuning are kind of over. The way it works is. You oder a tune and a RAT from any RENNtech dealer. A file is made for your car then uploaded onto the RAT. The RAT is mailed off to you. Oce you get the RAT tuner, you marry it to your car via OBDII. Durring the marring process your vin ID is logged and the RAT becomes usable only by that car.

The RAT is can hold 2 files at one time on it. Allowing you to switch between any combo of the two files you have uploaded to the car.

The RAT plugs in to your home PC via USB port. Then Its a matter of dragging and dropping the two files you want onto the RAT. If you have more than 2 files (including stock) You can store the other one on your PC for use later.

Its a cool tool. I remember having to go to the shop and upload my 100oct file on Friday when I wasnt racing until Sunday morning. It made for an expensive weekend at the pump. When I was only wanting to run 5 or so passed.

At $795 for the RENNtech RAT tuner, Its a cool, convenient investment.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by hooleyboy
You could get a RENNtech R.A.T. remote tuner. With a RAT, you can have a stock, performance, and race fuel files at your finger tips. Load up the file and hit the road.

The days of mailing your ECU in for tuning are kind of over. The way it works is. You oder a tune and a RAT from any RENNtech dealer. A file is made for your car then uploaded onto the RAT. The RAT is mailed off to you. Oce you get the RAT tuner, you marry it to your car via OBDII. Durring the marring process your vin ID is logged and the RAT becomes usable only by that car.

The RAT is can hold 2 files at one time on it. Allowing you to switch between any combo of the two files you have uploaded to the car.

The RAT plugs in to your home PC via USB port. Then Its a matter of dragging and dropping the two files you want onto the RAT. If you have more than 2 files (including stock) You can store the other one on your PC for use later.

Its a cool tool. I remember having to go to the shop and upload my 100oct file on Friday when I wasnt racing until Sunday morning. It made for an expensive weekend at the pump. When I was only wanting to run 5 or so passed.

At $795 for the RENNtech RAT tuner, Its a cool, convenient investment.
+1 the RAT device is very innovative.... the only thing is that we're not sure if it'll work on the new breed of ECUs. Hopefully, it does or it gets updated to make it work, as it is very important device indeed
Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition

I actually posted something to this effect a while back:

https://mbworld.org/forums/4052648-post3.html

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing alot of Status 8's in the near future...
Old 05-25-2010, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211-55
Haha! Yea Status 8 everyone on this forum.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
+1 the RAT device is very innovative.... the only thing is that we're not sure if it'll work on the new breed of ECUs. Hopefully, it does or it gets updated to make it work, as it is very important device indeed
In all honesty I dont think the RAT in its currant form will work on the new ECU that are coming out. I would think Renntech will be coming out with something though. I might be a good idea to come out with one for the new ECUs. It could potentially avoid customer backlash fro voided warranties.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
guys dont worry bout it,you can raise the boost a few psi with a altered tmap sensor.they have been doing it on the 335s for a while now and you can clear ever tuner code the car throws with a bt scan tool.

the ecu leaves room for different altitude and temp conditions and you will be able to get maybe 3 psi more out of it without any problems.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 AM

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
really who does this, and how do you change between tunes on the fly? i am not talking about the small box that connects to the OBDii port and you have to upload the tune file each time you want to swap.
Can't recall at the moment where I saw this on an E55, but perhaps it will come to me. The way it works is the ecu has alternate maps and you simply tune one map for one fuel and another map for another fuel and utilize a toggle switch to switch from one to another. This is the way I have it on my Evo as well; one map is for 22psi and the second is for 40psi. I can easily switch on the fly between the maps with the flip of a switch.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:08 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.

Do you have a bulletin number or a release date for this? I just looked through the last 30 days of bulletins that MB released and didn't see anything like it. The new tt motors will be using the same ECU as the 63 cars so the flashing part will not be that different. We have obd flashers for the 63s v12 and v8k cars, but if benz starts checking for tunes bench flashing might be the way to go like it used to be done till recently.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I have a feeling he was referring to an old bulletin that came out back in 05 regarding tuning kits for the CDI engines. It was re-released again about 18 months ago when we started getting the V-6 diesels. I have seen it and it refers to ways to detect a piggy-back tuner and even shows pictures of a Kleemann KD-box. I check just about daily and haven't seen anything lately. I will definitely pass it on if I see something new though.

Nick