W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

CTS-V

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 BMW M5, 1992 AWD DSM, 1988 Yamaha FZR1000
Originally Posted by chawkins2001
Hold on there buddy, FORD is light years ahead of Chevy in terms of plushness and making sound cars. One of the best sports cars ever made in terms of cheap bolt on power and reliability comes from FORD, namely the 03/04 cobras.

They are only a few cars in modern history that have got iconic status, the SUPRA always comes to mind and now you can honestly start saying the 03/04 cobra's nicked named the terminators. There are tons of 700rwhp and up lurking the streets.
The Terminator Cobra was one of those game-changing cars that comes out of a manufacturer every 5-10 years. Other than that, the SN95 Mustangs were pretty boring.

The 2011 Mustang GT, on the other hand... hot damn.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by mikeevo
78,000 was out the door cost last year. I did hear about the discount but I wasnt pushing hard to buy it just wanted to know my cost. it had the usual dealer BS. paint protection, interior guard, dent free crap. but was real close to 78K. glad here you can get one for 55K. I think its a much better buy for that price.
Some dealers are just plain dreamers. A perfect example, here is a Ford dealer in N. CA asking $129,999 for a 2011 Shelby GT500:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/ind...ve-2011-gt500/

Most people are able to get 2011's below MSRP...

Tom
Old 06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by TMC M5
The funny thing is that my wife has dibs on the CTS-V when I get "tired" of it. My wife currently has an '09 Pontiac G8 GT which we have had for 1 year. That car has had zero...absolutely no problems/issues (I just knocked on wood). The fit is really...really good....the finish not so much. they cut some corners with the quality of materials, but you can't expect high end materials in a car that we got new for about $30K. The G8 GT has pretty decent handling and performance. I was so impressed with GM's (or should I say Holden Australia's) effort in the G8 that it was the catalyst to opening up the possibility of getting the CTS-V. With typical GM logic, Pontiac G8 production was killed here in the US. The G8 GT was quite possibly their best built car for the money...

Tom
Your wife drives stick?? Nice to hear being a gearhead runs in the family bro...as ya can see American cars are OK by me, just got to know what you're getting...

-Rob
Old 06-25-2010, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by 220S
Stiffly sprung? Seriously? You have to be joking! It rides on a pneumatic suspension, as in 'air.'

This car built for the twisties? Man, I'm sorry but you must have never driven an actual sports car in your life. You want stiff suspension? I'll give you a ride in my Porsche. Your bones will snap.

The E63 (and yes I have a 2009) is a marshmallow. It's a couch on wheels. But a nice fast comfortable couch.

Sorry grandpa, but I'm calling you clueless on this one.

The book? It's new. Why do you think the E63 is even listed in it?

geez, don't think the dude was wanting a fight....where's the chill pill smilie? Maybe try this...

-Rob
Old 06-25-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by Jakpro1

Finally ditched and went QX56 and without question is the greatest suv ever made with near flawless service.
LOL...ok. You think a Nissan truck with extra chrome is better than an X5, GL, Range Rover, etc? Even the "American-Junk" current Escalade is higher quality and drives nicer.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by transferred
geez, don't think the dude was wanting a fight....where's the chill pill smilie? Maybe try this...

-Rob
Yeah, you're right.

But read his posts.

It just got to me when he was earlier complaining about his car's build quality and showing pics of his bumper trim which aren't faults but part of the actual design. And that the E Class isn't the "business class saloon" (which it is called by Daimler.) And then saying these cars are so "stiffly sprung" and are sports cars. (Um, they have comfort air suspensions.) I don't think he realizes what's up or down.

Gotta yell at people and set 'em straight sometimes
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio 2007 E63 AMG
Do you own or have u ever owned a QX56?

we are on our 3rd QX56 since they came out in late 2003 as a 2004 model.

They have all been bulletproof reliable, and we average almost 25k miles per year on them (lots of 4 day weekend road trips to SoCal!).

our first one was totaled when a guy ran a red light and pulled out in front of my wife in a full size 94 GMC work truck. my wife was going over 50 mph and didn't even get a chance to hit her brakes (no skid marks) completely totaled both cars. the front end was pushed into the tires, the engine dropped as designed and airbag went off. My wife and then 3 yo son walked away with nothing worse than bruises from their seatbelt and baby seat belts, and stiff necks.

Needless to say - I bought ANOTHER QX56.

you should look up the reviews on Escalade. it just made yet ANOTHER "worst vehicles" list last week. the reliability, and yes, CRASH PERFORMANCE are awful. it's nothing but a piece of GM junk. and it even costs, fully loaded, CONSIDERABLY more than a fully loaded QX56, while enjoying a much steeper depreciation curve and very poor resale value.

As far as it being an Armada with extra chrome - yes they are similar vehicles, but for roughly 8-10k retail over the price of a fully loaded Armada LE, you get a MUCH nicer more luxurious interior, better electronics and upgrades that aren't even available on the Nissan, and a 4 year 60k warranty versus the Nissan 3 year 36k warranty. couple this with the fact that the car will still be worth 20% more than a loaded Armada LE at any point in the depreciation curve, and you end up only paying a couple of hundred dollars more per month of use for a MUCH nicer car. and you pay much LESS if you ever need that wonderful 4 year 60k Infiniti warranty (which is 10k better than the warranty on our much more expensive, and much less reliable MB cars!)

And as far as X5's, GL's and Range Rovers go.....

very nice cars. but also very SMALL cars. I have family visiting this week, and our QX56 comfortably fits 7 people (our old one with a 2nd row bench fit 8). I've test driven all 3 of those cars you mentioned, and that is exactly what they are: CARS.

my E63 has just as much room and cargo room as them.

A QX56 is a full size TRUCK. heck it even tows 9,000 lbs (more than the escalade) if you have any trailers or lake toys for the weekend. talk about comparing apples and oranges.

Originally Posted by C300Kid
LOL...ok. You think a Nissan truck with extra chrome is better than an X5, GL, Range Rover, etc? Even the "American-Junk" current Escalade is higher quality and drives nicer.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
He lives in Dallas, they think Corvettes are Ferrari's here... I have no idea what level that puts Escalades on in their minds (must be above the Lambo LM02 or whatever designation that was) I've always though Infiniti's were a nice vehicle especially for the money
Old 06-25-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 220S
Yeah, you're right.

But read his posts.

It just got to me when he was earlier complaining about his car's build quality and showing pics of his bumper trim which aren't faults but part of the actual design. And that the E Class isn't the "business class saloon" (which it is called by Daimler.) And then saying these cars are so "stiffly sprung" and are sports cars. (Um, they have comfort air suspensions.) I don't think he realizes what's up or down.

Gotta yell at people and set 'em straight sometimes
True true buddy...

qx56- i can see the appeal, that and the Sequoia offer a lot of abiity...3/4 ton Suburban is a nice ride too...

-Rob
Old 06-25-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by citylightva
He lives in Dallas, they think Corvettes are Ferrari's here... I have no idea what level that puts Escalades on in their minds (must be above the Lambo LM02 or whatever designation that was) I've always though Infiniti's were a nice vehicle especially for the money
I actually just got on here to delete my comment since it was kinda rude, but now that it's too late..

I'm from New England, have only lived in Texas a few years, and only buy European cars..but I do know what you mean about this area. With that being said, you live in Dallas and drive a Ram with a Hemi..I think you fit your description better than I do. lol?

The QX is okay, I just think it drives pretty poorly and feels cheap considering it's intended competition.

You all can bash the Escalade but I think its a much nicer vehicle. I don't know about reliability or crash tests (although i find it hard to believe it did poorly)..just the general feel of it. Side note..the Range Rover has pitiful reliability but I wouldn't say a Toyota Highlander is better because it's super reliable.

Also, the Chevy Silverado has dominated the Titan in all pickup truck comparisons I've seen:

Example:

http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/..._and_data.html

In order of finish: 1st place Chevy Silverado, 6th place (out of 6) Nissan Titan.

Keeping that in mind, and considering the Escalade has Silverado bones and the QX56 has Titan bones, one would have to assume the Escalade is NOT a piece of "GM junk" and the QX is the "best suv ever made."

Keep spewing your hate peeps..

ps..no I have not owned a QX56..I've driven one for an extended period of time though.

Last edited by C300Kid; 06-25-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vegas..i'm too lazy to look up more stats..but regarding resale value..considering the Escalade is a much better seller (more popular) than the QX, I'd have to assume the Caddy's resale is better.

I could be wrong..just an assumption.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually just got on here to delete my comment since it was kinda rude, but now that it's too late..

I'm from New England, have only lived in Texas a few years, and only buy European cars..but I do know what you mean about this area. With that being said, you live in Dallas and drive a Ram with a Hemi..I think you fit your description better than I do. lol?
Go figure, I never owned a pick up til I moved here almost 5 years ago (and it's loud and obnoxious). Got to the point with traffic that commuting just sucks in my car knowing I'm sitting wasting miles. Looking back trucks are pretty damn useful to have around though You almost never have to get things delivered.

So, sorry and welcome to Dallas...Not my favorite place on earth, but I guess it's not the worst either...You move here for work..??

Last edited by citylightva; 06-25-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Dallas/FT Worth is always a good time. Cleaner than Houston, but not quite Austin or San Antonio nice either IMO. I lived in Houston for over a decade. Visited Dallas countless times. The car scene in Texas is EXCELLENT...maybe something to do with you bast*rds not paying state income tax, or having smog checks?!?! Sheesh, I miss my 93 octane too. Be thankful you guys live in Dallas and not Amarillo or El Paso!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:56 PM

2002 CLK55 AMG Cabrio 2007 E63 AMG
C300

take a look at these:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36396230...ess-forbescom/

http://www.huliq.com/1/92591/three-g...ety-durability

and here's a bit on resale value:
(I learned about this on american cars the hard way when I sold my 2 year old Corvette Z06.....)

note the escalade at #7, (and please don't point out the titan is on the same list, that would be like pointing out every negative point on EVERY full size GM SUV - think tahoe, yukon, etc, and pinning it on the escalade - THOSE GM vehicles are notably absent from the list, because they aren't as OVERPRICED).
Old 06-25-2010, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mugatu22
Dallas/FT Worth is always a good time. Cleaner than Houston, but not quite Austin or San Antonio nice either IMO. I lived in Houston for over a decade. Visited Dallas countless times. The car scene in Texas is EXCELLENT...maybe something to do with you bast*rds not paying state income tax, or having smog checks?!?! Sheesh, I miss my 93 octane too. Be thankful you guys live in Dallas and not Amarillo or El Paso!!!!
It's an okay place...The car scene here is amazing and I think it has something to do with having a lot of good jobs (corporate HQ's) and the realtively low cost of living. They smog yearly near the cities here, but yes 93 is always around I moved here from Northern Virginia (where I grew up), and before moving back to VA I lived in Orange County, between those two and here, no contest. It's so f'in flat and there is just nothing to do outdoors. I miss the hell out of Cali, but my job is here for now
Old 06-25-2010, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Go figure, I never owned a pick up til I moved here almost 5 years ago (and it's loud and obnoxious). Got to the point with traffic that commuting just sucks in my car knowing I'm sitting wasting miles. Looking back trucks are pretty damn useful to have around though You almost never have to get things delivered.

So, sorry and welcome to Dallas...Not my favorite place on earth, but I guess it's not the worst either...You move here for work..??
I have been driving around an 09 RAM. Like it.

I was recently looking at 10 CTS-V , lol.

glad I caught this thread
Old 06-25-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by juicee63
I have been driving around an 09 RAM.
The Hemi power just makes them fun trucks to drive. I've got a regular cab and I'll pull with Mustang GT's. Not bad for a beater that does all my dirty work
Old 06-26-2010, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nah my dad did..he actually requested to be transfered down here. I had just graduated high school and I wasn't crazy about staying up in the cold so my brother and I came down with them. There's pros and cons..I'm over in the Southlake/Westlake area which is very un-Texan. It's pretty nice..overall I prefer it to the Boston area.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It's an okay place...The car scene here is amazing and I think it has something to do with having a lot of good jobs (corporate HQ's) and the realtively low cost of living. They smog yearly near the cities here, but yes 93 is always around I moved here from Northern Virginia (where I grew up), and before moving back to VA I lived in Orange County, between those two and here, no contest. It's so f'in flat and there is just nothing to do outdoors. I miss the hell out of Cali, but my job is here for now
Agree. The whole area is pretty bland. The natural landscape blows but at least there's lots of really nice cookie cutter suburbs. Everything is relatively new too, which is a plus.

I'm still in school but as soon as I graduate I wanna move to the LA area..the west coast cant be beat imo. Def dont wanna start a career here and get stuck.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vegas55amg
C300

take a look at these:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36396230...ess-forbescom/

and here's a bit on resale value:
(I learned about this on american cars the hard way when I sold my 2 year old Corvette Z06.....)

note the escalade at #7, (and please don't point out the titan is on the same list, that would be like pointing out every negative point on EVERY full size GM SUV - think tahoe, yukon, etc, and pinning it on the escalade - THOSE GM vehicles are notably absent from the list, because they aren't as OVERPRICED).
This all seems like BS to me. I have no idea how they're rating safety or dependability but the only official crash test that's ever been done on the current Escalade was by the nhtsa which resulted in a 5 star rating.

Also, check this out..

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...llac_Escalade/

Current article, and they rated the Escalade the #1 large luxury suv. If you scroll down to safety you'll see that they point out that it did very well in government crash testing..scroll a little further and they point out that J.D. Power and Associates rates the predicted reliability as Good. "This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies."

I'm not trying to say the Infiniti is junk and the Cadillac is a million times better. I just think people who buy imports tend to be biased against domestics..particularly people who buy Japanese cars.

I even disagree with the OP..he went into the purchase with a negative opinion of GM and that kept him from enjoying the car. I mean, yeah he's had some minor issues, but German cars have them too. I have friends with Audis and BMWs that have had all kinds of issues. I also had a Mini Cooper S that had thousands of dollars in warranty work in the 2 years I owned it. Even my Mercedes had some electrical issues with the power windows within the first few months of ownership. **** happens with all makes. Anyone who thinks European cars are more dependable than domestics is high. Better build quality, absolutely..more reliable, in your dreams.

PS..regarding this famous Japanese quality..my little bro has a 2007 350Z and the thing sucks. He has to put the passenger side window down only part way because if he puts it all the way down it rattles inside the door panel so loud you can't have a conversation. On top of that his power door locks work intermittently. Some of the interior trim is peeling and the aluminum trim on his shift knob fell right off. Mind you he barely drives this thing..it just sat at school last year, garaged. This is not from abuse. He's the only one with a Japanese car in my family..My dad and I both drive European and my mom has a domestic..the Nissan has held up by far the worst.

Last edited by C300Kid; 06-26-2010 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
For sure, I've lived all over the country and So Cal can't be beat for lifestyle & perfect weather. Hope you make it out soon.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The thing I've found most fascinating is that all real Texans think Texas is the best place in the world and they'd never even consider leaving. It's like...uhhhh?
Old 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM

1989 Toyota Tercel Coupé
If the escalade is rated the number one luxury SUV then every single person on this planet is doing something wrong.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nah my dad did..he actually requested to be transfered down here. I had just graduated high school and I wasn't crazy about staying up in the cold so my brother and I came down with them. There's pros and cons..I'm over in the Southlake/Westlake area which is very un-Texan. It's pretty nice..overall I prefer it to the Boston area.
Southlake is nice...I lived out in Las Colinas for a little bit, and used to go out to Southlake a lot...I'm down in Uptown Dallas again though...Also very un-Texan and possibly the only urban part of Dallas...
Old 06-26-2010, 01:19 PM

2005 Silver E55
The thing I've found most fascinating is that all real Texans think Texas is the best place in the world and they'd never even consider leaving. It's like...uhhhh?
Thats because it is. I have been all over the US , and Texas is still the best, If its weather, can have snow or heat.You can have mountains or Oceans. Just pick a place and live awhile. Thats not to say other places are not nice just not home. TEXAS # 1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CTS-V