W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep an eye on mileage & fuel when you drop of your car at the dealer!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Keep an eye on mileage & fuel when you drop of your car at the dealer!!

So I recently acquired an E63 and as part of the deal the dealership agreed to fix a vibration while driving (felt like an out of balance wheel or tire) and also replace a trim panel that was broken on the passenger side C-pillar. Well, I dropped the car off Tuesday and it was supposed to be done that afternoon. Now, as a consequence of my O.C.D. I know what my mileage and fuel level is whenever I exit my cars no matter what. Yes, I know, I have problems. LOL!!

Anyway, I dropped off the car and 'that afternoon' turned into 3 days, and it was still not done yesterday because they were waiting on the panel to arrive, and the wheel and tire issues to be figured out. They called me and said they were sending out the wheel to get straightened because it was bent, and they also were replacing a tire because they said one of them was bad. No big deal. I asked where the wheel was getting sent and they said it was going to a place called Transwheel. I politely requested that instead of Transwheel I wanted the wheel sent to Mr. Wheels Indy because every wheel I have ever seen from Transwheel has had a milky look to the clearcoat when they refinish it (like an overly glazed doughnut), and it makes the wheel look bad. Mr. Wheels Indy, on the other hand, is darn near perfect every time, and they are the same price (sometimes cheaper), and do all of the local Ferrari and Lamborghini wheels. That was fine, they would send it to Mr. Wheels they said.

Well, as the days pass I swing by Mr. Wheels because they are by my house and they have no idea what I am talking about when I ask how the wheel is doing. The next day I get the same thing. They said the dealer never brought that wheel there. Hmmmm, that is intersting, I think to myself, since the dealership had told me the day before they were waiting for Mr. Wheels to get the wheel back to them. I even offered to pick the wheel up for the dealer and transport it back to them since I live close by so that I could get my car back faster. 'No, that will not be necessary, they will bring it to us when it is done,' I am told by the dealer.

Finally yesterday afternoon I contacted them and find out the wheel and tire are done, but the trim panel is still not in. The car has been in my posession for almost 2 weeks now, and why they did not order it two weeks ago I will never understand. Well, I said, fine, no big deal...I will be in to pick up the car tonight and call me when the panel is in. This is where the story gets good.

So I show up at the dealership and request my car. Time passes...10 minutes...15 minutes....25 minutes...ummm, guys...where is my car? It finally comes around and I hop in and see that the car has 15 miles more than when I dropped it off, and the fuel gauge that was full now is missing 1/4 of a tank of fuel, and the coolant light is now on. On top of that, I had reset one of the many trip computer in the car and found out that during their stint they averaged a scant 12 mpg. I call over the Service Manager and ask, 'Ron...do you know why there are 15 more miles and my car and 1/4 tank less fuel,' to which he said, 'Test drive'. LOL!! No sh*t!! Now, I am a calm and easy going guy, but this bugged me. So I calmly say, 'Ron...you and I both know that a 15 mile test drive that uses 1/4 of a tank of gas, and a now blinking coolant warning light, equates to excessive beatings by your technician'. At this point he offers to refill my gas tank.....with 87 octane. LOL!! Umm, guys....this car takes only 93 octane. Keep in mind when I bought the car the EXACT SAME THING almost happened. They agreed to fill the car with gas and I said to the sales rep, 'They know that is a hand built motor that only takes premium gas right,' to which she said, 'Yeah, I am sure they know'. I tell her she better check, and we run to the back to find a guy who does not speak English about to fill the car with 87 octane from the pump they have on the lot. Idiots!!

So, they could not explain away this litany of stupidity, and simply said they would take care of my fuel and make sure all fluids were topped off. I took my gas (without the fuel refill yet) and said, 'Call me when my panel is in, we will figure out the gas thing then, but I am taking my car and going home'. So, moral of the story....watch your cars boys and girls. Because especially when you take in a high powered car like and AMG, sometimes they figure we are too stupid to notice their lunch time stoplight drag racing. Oh, and I never did figure out where my wheel went to get fixed, but it looks like crap.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
E55 w/ goods, Z32 Project underway
Sorry to read. Unless I am missing it, how about posting up the name of the dealer for one, this would be helpful for others.

Secondly, I always take video of my car in and out while dropping it off at the dealer for just this very reason. There is no reason to believe a dealer will offer better service than any of the low hanging fruit out there. Simply no excuse for that kind of treatment.

Last edited by pearlpower; 06-25-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
NO BUENO!! THAT is WHY i NEVER EVER took my car to the dealership EVER again after they ****ed me over! it only took once!
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
If this is a Mercedes dealership, you can call 1-800 Mercedes and tell them this story. They will send a regional rep to investigate and if necessary "resolve" the situation. This is simply unacceptable behavior by the dealership
Old 06-25-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Unfortunately, more often than not, this is the norm.

The "test drive" always involves them beating on it.

Least my buddy Ken always asked me before taking it out and beating on it. Long as you ASK me first and I trust you, have some fun with it.

YOU GOTTA FRIGGIN ASK FIRST THOUGH!!!

Old 06-25-2010, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Wow, these stories always make me glad my dealership is a good one...Sorry about your extended "service"...
Old 06-25-2010, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Unfortunately, more often than not, this is the norm.

The "test drive" always involves them beating on it.

Least my buddy Ken always asked me before taking it out and beating on it. Long as you ASK me first and I trust you, have some fun with it.

YOU GOTTA FRIGGIN ASK FIRST THOUGH!!!

I'm w/you on this 1, I have let & even told (2) trusted techs while I was picking up my SL, to please try 'er out & loved hearing the exhaust rumble into the distance, very cool to see what your car looks/sounds like from an outside perspective (down right menacing)

Having said that I have my own little so far bullet proof scheme I do when warranty repairs are substantial IE 2 wks +, I purposely check in w/my SL on NEAR empty w/GAS light on, my SA always jokes you cheap bastad' & then we both NOTE exact mileage on drop-off. I tell 'em "Ahh damn i didn't have time to go to gas station, shucks"

Knock on wood I've never seen more than 1-2 miles extra on OD, sneaky but effective (I know they could add some ***** 87 oct etc but they NEVER *** w/me... Maybe this will work for some of you
Old 06-25-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63 AMG
Anytime you bring your car into the dealer for a vibration, rattle, creak, etc. service they will always rack up the miles. When I had my Lexus, they had my car for days and racked up 60 miles to troubleshoot a rattle coming from the dashboard. In addition to the miles, the rear bumper was damaged and had to be replaced. The rattle went away for a while but came back.

My new E63 has incurred 1 ding from being in service. My service advisor was happy to fix it.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 GL550 2006 S55
No need to worry, street eagle will tell you where your car is at all times and how fast it is going. You can also set a speed limit and it will email or text you when it exceeds your speed limit. It also tracks the car on google maps and you can view the map and see where your car is, the time, speed, and direction it is heading. Its awesome.

http://www.streeteagle-gps.com/category-s/21.htm
Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
With stories like this you need to post the dealer's name or it's like a "worthless without pics" sort of thing. It helps others in your area to be aware.

I used to always take pics with time and date stamp of the fuel gauge and odo, plus the body/bumpers, etc.. I did that until I found the dealer and SA I could trust to do things right (I have over a dozen to choose from and three are good.)

But like Mo says, you need to call MBUSA and tell them your experience. They'll tell you that each dealer is a franchise and an independent reseller and will apologize on their behalf. But underneath they are keeping records off all complaints. You also have to write a (polite) complaint to the manager of your dealership. It takes an effort but we all gotta keep the stealers on their toes.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
^^This at the end. I filled out my survey after my last visit with the pick up of my car and condition of my car at below average. It took 20-30 minutes for the valets to bring it around and it was retardedly dusty and dirty. It was there 3 days and the problem got fixed correctly, but it looked like I'd left it by a construction site. The manager sent me an email yesterday saying he'd told my SA thank you on my behalf and wondering exactly what was below average on my pick up. Only issue I've ever had with any part of my service at Park Place...
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
With stories like this you need to post the dealer's name or it's like a "worthless without pics" sort of thing. It helps others in your area to be aware.

I used to always take pics with time and date stamp of the fuel gauge and odo, plus the body/bumpers, etc.. I did that until I found the dealer and SA I could trust to do things right (I have over a dozen to choose from and three are good.)
+1

You should post which dealer did this so that others can avoid them. Otherwise, more and more people will continue to fall for the same trap and the dealer will continue their practices as if nothing was wrong.

Originally Posted by 220S
But like Mo says, you need to call MBUSA and tell them your experience. They'll tell you that each dealer is a franchise and an independent reseller and will apologize on their behalf. But underneath they are keeping records off all complaints. You also have to write a (polite) complaint to the manager of your dealership. It takes an effort but we all gotta keep the stealers on their toes.
Actually, MBUSA is surprisingly tough in these situations. They take complaints very seriously and if the matter escalates, they do take action and send somebody over there to try and resolve the problem.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 51 Posts
'94 NSX,'99 NSX Z,'12 C63 Black Series (Prior: '07 E63, '08 CLK63 Black Series,'14 E63-S & 16 C63-S)
Hey guys. Sorry for the delay. I have been busy with work. Anyway, this is not an authorized Mercedes Benz dealer, but is another major mark manufacturer dealer. Anyway, I still have work that needs to be completed on this car and then I will be more than happy to say who it is for those in the Indianapolis area.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:17 PM

A Prius because I'm green
That's why I stay and watch my car get worked on when ever I do quick oil changes. If it's work needed I take it an hour away to the best tech in the world that Bassn_07 uses as well. He owns an E55 and doesn't abuse the car with extended test drives, not that I'd get mad at him for doing a quick burst for comparison as he is the one that takes care of her!

I'd report it like Mo said and talk to the dealers manager and if you want to have fun report it to the news and send your car back in with video cameras installed. See what fish you could catch!
Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SGTzAMG
NO BUENO!! THAT is WHY i NEVER EVER took my car to the dealership EVER again after they ****ed me over! it only took once!

Are you up by Sac Sarge?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Sorry but Hammer down still has the best Avatar.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:38 PM

2019 s560 sedan
always know your tech guy and throw him a bone to keep things honest . i throw them a c note from the git .
Old 06-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Sorry but Hammer down still has the best Avatar.
Mine's more tastier though!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
always know your tech guy and throw him a bone to keep things honest . i throw them a c note from the git .
I did that first thing with my SA.

p.s., to the OP: so you didn't pick up a CPO'd car from a MB dealer?

Last edited by 220S; 06-26-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Dude I had the exact same situation back in January right after buying my car. When I picked it up from Mercedes for maintenance the technician said he took it all the way out to Glendale which is like 30 miles each way from the dealership and he said he "pushed it hard" and that all is well. He then said, "I am sure your glad to hear there is nothing wrong with it." What a crock of Shiat!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 CL600
Originally Posted by malakasnyc
+1 Always 'build a relationship'
Old 06-27-2010, 12:12 AM

2003 e55
this thread justifies why i spend 30 secs to take my supercharger belt off prior to dropping the car off anywhere.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
I guess the best way is to flash the ecu with the device from OEtuning for they cannot go fast or anything.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
Maybe I'm an idealist, but I'd think the best way to service your car is to research your dealer's service dept, have a service tech you trust, and tell them you keep close tabs on your vehicle. Find an indy mechanic or stick around at your local dealership & let them know you're not playing around.