Sponsored by:

A/C Recharging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' E55 Techtite Grey
A/C Recharging

I was wondering if anyone knows how to recharge the A/C system in our cars and if we can do it ourselves or do we have to take it to the dealership? Are there any videos or tutorials out there that instructs you on how to do it?

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
great question - i am all ears on this one
Old 07-23-2010, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
You may be able to add freon to the system, but you wouldn't be able to pull vacuum first.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I am in the middle of a compressor install in the garage. You can add some R134 to the system on the low side. The large pipe on the driver side just in front of the fuse box with black cap on it. NOT NOT the black cap on the left side (they are right next to each other) connected to the smaller hose. That is the high pressure and will roast your system if you add it in there. My apologies this is all 2nd grade to ya. Just covering my **** in case you added 2 cans to the high side and blew the thing apart.

Perhaps add a tiny bit of freon and then see if that improves the system somewhat. If not STOP and go to dealer.

They have a machine that adds the factory amount of freon you need and removes any extra that could be slowing down the system.

You overcharge it and you are looking at major problems with these $$$$ systems.

Worst part about our systems is that the compressor CONSTANTLY runs on these cars. It's spins up and down like a turbo depending on need. No old time clutch system..... so it's hard to put gauges on the thing and judge freon from them like in the old days.

You could have well under the recommended amount and gauges show you are 100% fine while the compressor is spinning like a jet engine to keep up.

Add a tiny bit and then run it to stealer and have them top it off. Better safe than sorry with these cars.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I am in the middle of a compressor install in the garage. You can add some R134 to the system on the low side. The large pipe on the driver side just in front of the fuse box with black cap on it. NOT NOT the black cap on the left side (they are right next to each other) connected to the smaller hose. That is the high pressure and will roast your system if you add it in there. My apologies this is all 2nd grade to ya. Just covering my **** in case you added 2 cans to the high side and blew the thing apart.

Perhaps add a tiny bit of freon and then see if that improves the system somewhat. If not STOP and go to dealer.

They have a machine that adds the factory amount of freon you need and removes any extra that could be slowing down the system.

You overcharge it and you are looking at major problems with these $$$$ systems.

Worst part about our systems is that the compressor CONSTANTLY runs on these cars. It's spins up and down like a turbo depending on need. No old time clutch system..... so it's hard to put gauges on the thing and judge freon from them like in the old days.

You could have well under the recommended amount and gauges show you are 100% fine while the compressor is spinning like a jet engine to keep up.

Add a tiny bit and then run it to stealer and have them top it off. Better safe than sorry with these cars.

Good advise, I just did AC service which add freon I guess.... I paid $120 and now its really cold. I just want to play safe with these cars...
Old 07-23-2010, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would imagine a low pressure switch would protect the system in that case.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
Can you take a qyuick picture of the black cap? -- Just to make it really clear. As long as I am sure - I dont mind adding a little R134 to my system.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 AM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
This talk about it being $$$ to fix a mess up and it being difficult to read pressures makes me just want to take it to the dealership. How much will it be to have them fix it? $120?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NSX2NV
This talk about it being $$$ to fix a mess up and it being difficult to read pressures makes me just want to take it to the dealership. How much will it be to have them fix it? $120?
Fix what? What exactly is the system doing? Not cooling at all? Intermitent cooling? Almost no airflow?
Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Yeah what symptoms are you having?

Common symptoms of low freon are drivers side being warmer than passenger. Having that?

Sorry to spook you on adding freon. Many guys have added part of a can and drove away happy and ice cold.

Just that you could have clogged expansion valve, evaporator, a bad sensor, or a few other things and throwing freon at it would end up damaging the system when you overcharge.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:22 AM

03' E55 Techtite Grey
No the system works fine. It just isn't as cold as it use to be making me think that it may just be getting low. What do you guys think? It gets colder as I'm moving with air going through the radiator. When at a stop it isn't hot by any means but isn't as cold.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Range Rover V8
Yeah what symptoms are you having?

Common symptoms of low freon are drivers side being warmer than passenger. Having that?

Sorry to spook you on adding freon. Many guys have added part of a can and drove away happy and ice cold.

Just that you could have clogged expansion valve, evaporator, a bad sensor, or a few other things and throwing freon at it would end up damaging the system when you overcharge.
Interesting, the side vents (not just driver side) on mine are noticeably warmer than the center vents. Would this be a sign of low freon as well?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Go into the hidden climate control menu and post your values for 1-10 after letting the car & system warm up. Give it about a 15 minute drive or so.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I agree. Let's see what it looks like. Gotta admit, I am pretty clueless on AC systems. I can swap out the compressor granted, but diagnosing is pretty tough.