Sponsored by:

Seriously Negative Camber Issue After Brake Job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55AMG
Seriously Negative Camber Issue After Brake Job

Relatively recently, I had a new set of brakes installed. After a few K miles, I noticed that my left rear tire was showing some strips of white on the inner edge. I took a closer look and noticed that just that one wheel has visibly negative camber, which obviously caused the dramaticly uneven wear. I have been too busy to take it back to get it fixed and am not sure when I will be able to, so I drove it a little longer to get a little more life out of the tire. When I finally took it off to put a stocker back on, I noticed that a bunch of the steel belting was poking out! Luckily it didn't blow out on me, but I was wondering how and why the tech could've messed up the camber so bad on just that one wheel to do a brake job. They said they'd do a free alignment for me but couldn't replace the $500 tire. Honestly, I don't know if I can trust them to fix it right or whether an alignment is what needs to be done to fix the camber. Problem is, the stock I put back on isn't going to last much longer either, and I don't want to ruin another tire w/ good life left on it. Since my front tire went flat today, I've decided to put all my stockers back on all corners, so I was wondering if there is any way that I could try to fix the camber on my own while I'm changing the other three wheels/tires anyway. Forgive my lack of knowledge, but I'm not much of a mechanical DIYer. I got a new baby now (big reason I've had no time, along w/ running my own biz), and I want to get it to drive the way it's supposed to, primarily for his safety. It's bad enough I have to ride w/o my HREs, so the last thing I need is a blowout next time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
What I don't understand is how a brake job could change your suspension geometry.

I'm thinking it's a coincidence your alignment went out of whack at the same time you had the brake job done.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:02 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by EZE55
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
My advice, use paragraphs.

Oh, and a brake job will not throw your camber that far out of whack. These cars are prone to alignment issues so the only thing to do is check the tires often, relative to how much you drive.

BTW...I learned this lesson just two weeks ago. Out of nowhere I see my left front tire is showing metal on the inner portion and the right front tire is doing so hot either. Lesson learned.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 AM

2005 E55
+1.. The mechanic didn't throw off the camber during the brake job.. You just didn't notice the wear on the inside tread because the outside tread looks good. Welcome to the "perks" of owning a vehicle with an aggressive camber
Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
in order to move your camber is not something that is done by accident.

like some have said.. car wears tires inside very quickly. I would suggest to buy new tires and rotate the tires (not the wheels) every 6 to 9 months or so.. depending on your driving and wear of your tires.

btw: Hankook Ev12 tires are very good and not that expensive.. I got 4 tires for my 19's for about $700.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
check your toe. Improper toe will wear out tires much quicker than negative camber.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM

2005 E55
Either way.. I think you might owe your mechanic an apology...
Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
You didn't say if it was pads or pads and rotors that were replaced.