Trunk tank installed and my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:22 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Trunk tank installed and my thoughts.

Have to be honest, this install was tough. Took about 10 hours total and it is 100 deg. here, to top it off.

If you buy hose, get 40 ft of it.. Some have posted 25 but not near enough..Found that out the hard way..My bad!~ Thanks to Shardul, for the tip to run the hoses over the inner fender liner, that helped! Between jacking the car up and couple trips to the store, 10 hours is about the time.. The other tough area , is getting those routed through the rear diff. area. Only clean way, is to basically follow the exhaust. Half shaft is close to hoses and so is the hot exhaust.

My system held 5.5 gallons , with the 38 ft of hose used (3 ounces per foot of hose) and water in the tank. BTW, anyone have a good tip on how much water to keep in tank , for day to day driving? I filled to within one inch but water expanded and overflowed in the trunk..

I am running a Meziere pump up front and using a 1200 GPH bilge in my tank to power feed the front pump.. As you can see in the video (before air was bleed) that it is flowing like a Russian race horse..

Test, 91-93 ambient and heat soaked engine.. Cruise IAT were 14-17 deg and on a run from 30 mph to 105, only hit 147 deg. Recovery to 15 deg over ambient , happened in about 8-15 seconds..

My estimate on having the extra 5 gallons, is worth 5 deg better cruise temp and 20 degrees peak.. Now add ice, and things will get fun..

CLICK on picture to see video..

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Interesting install, couldn't fit the spare tire after plumbing huh?

It took my tech few days but they only charged me 5hrs labor. I can't for the life of me figure how you used near 40' of hose?? We used half that, maybe 25' tops... Def NOT easy to install, as you learned the hard way don't fill to top, leave few inches empty @ ALL times.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:45 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by Thericker
Interesting install, couldn't fit the spare tire after plumbing huh?

It took my tech few days but they only charged me 5hrs labor. I can't for the life of me figure how you used near 40' of hose?? We used half that, maybe 25' tops... Def NOT easy to install, as you learned the hard way don't fill to top, leave few inches empty @ ALL times.
Yes, It is designed to fit inside the fullsize spare and will. I just need to get some quick connect fittings.. The lines will run through the slots in the spare wheel but I want the weight out of the car, until I get the quick connect.. Not going to help if I have to drain the tank, un-hook hoses , just to get spare out..

I bought 30 feet of hose first and my bad for not doing an exact measure.. Laid a tape by the car and 30ft looked to be ok but then came up short..I then went to another autoparts and bought 40 ft and that was about 2 ft left to spare.. I gues the CL is a lot longer than the SL, as I ran the lines in a very striaght line, excpet going over the fender.. Either that, or these redneck`s down here cant measure heater hose when they cut it.. They got all wild, when I asked for 40ft, like that was a big choir to manage..lol

You state that the tank should be a few inches from empty at all times ? Don`t you mean a few inches from full?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 08-01-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 & CL CK60
My install was approx 8 hours but was on a lift and car was disassembled already for other work. I bought 40 ft but only used approx 32 feet in a cls. My numbers for recovery etc were almost exactly as u mentioned. Now if we could find a permanent way to keep all 5 gallons at 50 degrees at all times we wouldn't need ice. Any ac guys wanna convert a small refrigerator to work in the back of my car?
Old 08-01-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Nice install, and awesome you retain spare. Are you using stock Heat Exchanger?

Is this a custom fabricated tank? It looks perfect for this chassis. Great Job!!

AHH Sig indicated Garrett HE.. NM
Old 08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Yes, It is designed to fit inside the fullsize spare and will. I just need to get some quick connect fittings.. The lines will run through the slots in the spare wheel but I want the weight out of the car, until I get the quick connect.. Not going to help if I have to drain the tank, un-hook hoses , just to get spare out..

I bought 30 feet of hose first and my bad for not doing an exact measure.. Laid a tape by the car and 30ft looked to be ok but then came up short..I then went to another autoparts and bought 40 ft and that was about 2 ft left to spare.. I gues the CL is a lot longer than the SL, as I ran the lines in a very striaght line, excpet going over the fender.. Either that, or these redneck`s down here cant measure heater hose when they cut it.. They got all wild, when I asked for 40ft, like that was a big choir to manage..lol

You state that the tank should be a few inches from empty at all times ? Don`t you mean a few inches from full?

Ahh very kool you can actually retain the spare Yes I meant leave tank about 3" from top, keeping the send line ALWAYS covered is a must, while driving it'll obviously slosh about inside but 2-3" barrier between top is perfect in my setup, should work for you too.

(+1 on parts guys acting like I ordered a ***** to custom fit cordless drill or something bizarre when asking for 20'-25' Goodyear heater hose)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:16 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by beauphus
My install was approx 8 hours but was on a lift and car was disassembled already for other work. I bought 40 ft but only used approx 32 feet in a cls. My numbers for recovery etc were almost exactly as u mentioned. Now if we could find a permanent way to keep all 5 gallons at 50 degrees at all times we wouldn't need ice. Any ac guys wanna convert a small refrigerator to work in the back of my car?
Fish aquarium chillers , may work pretty well.

Nice install, and awesome you retain spare. Are you using stock Heat Exchanger?

Is this a custom fabricated tank? It looks perfect for this chassis. Great Job!!

AHH Sig indicated Garrett HE.. NM
I have my stock H/E in place and added the Garrett..

Sean, thanks! I used 90 deg brass fittings, so the lines would have room to go between tank and wheel. I have 1/2" room to spare. Did push tank closer to drivers side in wheel, to give the 2.5" clearance..

Here is a pic , showing the 90 deg. fittings and how they route to one spot (space between rim)

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd

Last edited by Exotic-metal55; 08-01-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
you are a busy boy. set up looks great.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
Originally Posted by O-55
you are a busy boy. set up looks great.
Thanks. Yes, way more wrench turning than I want to do or even have time but damn I hate having somone else do custom work my car.. Custom Headers, custom mid pipes, I/C tanks, fuel pumps and other mods just take a certian ownership quality to get right..

Oh yeah, I used a fitting called a Riv-Nut to fasten the tank down into the trunk. You drill a hole and then use a tool to compress a brass nut ino the trunk.. This gives a nice , clean and strong threaded fitting to bolt too.. Then just lay the carpet mat over the tank and forget about.. Unless you want to keep your coffee thermos hot , then drop it in the tank and you will be set..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 08-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
What is the 3rd line for?
Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
To drain water out of tank to then fill up with ice or cocktails

Two more little facts. 1foot of heater hose holds 3 ounces of water, so add another 1.5 ish gallons to your tank size.. Second, average gates heater hose weighs .25lbs per foot. Average tank, pumps, water and fittings will add 50-60 lbs to the car..

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd