Questions regarding CPO and Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
Questions regarding CPO and Extended Warranties

Guys,

In my search for my E55, I came across something I wanted to ask and get your opinion on.

When someone has a CPO or extended warranty that still has miles left, is it transferrable to a new owner? Some personal experiences would also be helpful. I think it is a Huge thing to consider during my quest.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I know the MB ELW is transferable. It is also refundable, but pro-rated of course.

These cars are expensive to repair and parts are way overpriced from dealers. It's a gamble but the consensus is that an ELW is worthwhile if you plan to keep the car out of original factory warranty.

Although reliability has improved (supposedly) they aren't the most reliable cars on the planet, that's for certain. And even the little things can add up in cost.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
Generally yes, warranties are transferrable. There are some ins and outs to be aware of.

The Mercedes CPO warranty does transfer, but only in private party sales. If a CPO car goes through a dealer - e.g. Carmax or whoever - the CPO warranty is cancelled. If you are looking at a CPO Mercedes, get the VIN and phone the 1-800 number; they will be happy to verify the warranty status and expiration date of the car. So never buy a CPO Mercedes other than directly from a Mercdes dealer or in a private party sale.

The same statements above are pretty much true for 3rd party warranties. There may be a cost and/or some paperwork required to transfer the warranty. Get the warranty information and find out what is required before you buy the car. Transfer the warranty immediately after you close the deal. Most 3rd party warranties can be cancelled to receive a pro-rated refund. An unethical seller could cancel the warranty before you transfer it into your name.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
I know the MB ELW is transferable. It is also refundable, but pro-rated of course.

These cars are expensive to repair and parts are way overpriced from dealers. It's a gamble but the consensus is that an ELW is worthwhile if you plan to keep the car out of original factory warranty.

Although reliability has improved (supposedly) they aren't the most reliable cars on the planet, that's for certain. And even the little things can add up in cost.
Sorry, what does ELW stand for? Some kind of warranty, I presume? (I'll probably kick myself in the a$$ after you tell me!)

Thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Shadow5501
Generally yes, warranties are transferrable. There are some ins and outs to be aware of.

The Mercedes CPO warranty does transfer, but only in private party sales. If a CPO car goes through a dealer - e.g. Carmax or whoever - the CPO warranty is cancelled. If you are looking at a CPO Mercedes, get the VIN and phone the 1-800 number; they will be happy to verify the warranty status and expiration date of the car. So never buy a CPO Mercedes other than directly from a Mercdes dealer or in a private party sale.

The same statements above are pretty much true for 3rd party warranties. There may be a cost and/or some paperwork required to transfer the warranty. Get the warranty information and find out what is required before you buy the car. Transfer the warranty immediately after you close the deal. Most 3rd party warranties can be cancelled to receive a pro-rated refund. An unethical seller could cancel the warranty before you transfer it into your name.
Thanks Shadow. I will keep this all in mind when purchasing. Great info to know if you are not used to buying/selling used...

Pete
Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E63, 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi
Originally Posted by PetePap
Sorry, what does ELW stand for? Some kind of warranty, I presume? (I'll probably kick myself in the a$$ after you tell me!)

Thanks
The Mercedes Extended Length Warranty...The real one that has no BS attached...For the most part only the original owner can purchase this and transfer it or refund it to himself...
Old 09-01-2010, 05:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by citylightva
The Mercedes Extended Length Warranty...The real one that has no BS attached...For the most part only the original owner can purchase this and transfer it or refund it to himself...
That changed 2 yrs ago. A 2nd owner (and probably a 3rd or 4th) can purchase the elw as long as there is remaining factory warranty in effect.

I was just quoted $3850 today for 6/75 warranty on a 08 E63 private sale I'm considering.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:46 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
Chrysler is transferrable -- $50 fee -- thats what they told me when i bought it last year.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL63 N/A 2008
Safeguard

Sorry to dig up an old thread. How do you protect yourself from private seller canceling warranty for refund after the sale?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
that really sux
Take him to court
Hopefully you wrote that into the purchaase order agreement.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

CL63 N/A 2008
Didn't or hasn't happened to me, just curious. Looked at all the "transfer" warranty threads, but nothing definitive on protection against cancellation given the original CPO buyer and MBUSA entered into the transaction which has a prorate option.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
I believe that with MB's policy, that a CPO can be transferred via a private sale (wasn't always the case) would imply that the seller can only cancel/prorate while still the registered owner of the vehicle..
Old 01-30-2013, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Sorry to bring up an old thread,so lets say i purchased private sale and want to transfer cpo to my name what is the process?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:06 PM

CL63 N/A 2008
You'll need to go to the finance dept of the dealership they have a 1 page form that you fill out and the current owner signs, that gets sent to MBUSA. Also call the 800# (in your visor) and have the car registered w/ MB under your name.

After that i've had no issues getting warranty service.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
What if the previous owner lives in a different state and i cant get a hold of her?
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM

CL63 N/A 2008
They take faxed documents.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by starbrite
That changed 2 yrs ago. A 2nd owner (and probably a 3rd or 4th) can purchase the elw as long as there is remaining factory warranty in effect.

I was just quoted $3850 today for 6/75 warranty on a 08 E63 private sale I'm considering.
That's different than what I was told yesterday by my local MB dealer. In a nutshell, that will not sell an ELW on any car that has gone through a wholesale auction, regardless of whether it's still under the original factory warranty. I was specifically inquiring about an 2010 MB that has 18 mos. and 35K miles remaining on the original warranty. Since it had been wholesaled, they wouldn't sell me an ELW. I would check and make sure you were quote an actual MB ELW, and not a 3rd party warranty (which is what I was offered).
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
My understanding is:

CPO cannot be refunded to the owner, so there is no reason for them not to cooperate with the transfer.

ELW is refundable to the owner. Therefore make sure the ELW transfer is in the sales contract. Especially if the seller is unhappy with the selling price.

ELW is only able to be sold to;
the original owner.
or
the buyer of a CPO car, bought from a MB dealer.
Therefore, if you are none of above have the seller (who is one of above) buy the ELW before the sale is completed and then have it transfered to you.

Also an ELW cannot be reinstated after it is canceled and refunded.

Does this match what you have found out?

It explains the ineligibility of auction and non MB Dealer sold cars.
Naturally MB uses CPO and ELW to aid MB Dealers so sales, outside of that circle, can't expect to receive this benefit.

Last edited by lunarx; 01-31-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM

BMW M5, Jeep SRT8, MB E63
I just got my warranty today. On the west coast, MB extended warranties are through National Warranty (which does not sell direct to public unfortunately) - each MB dealer I spoke to told me this is the case. A dealer can sell you a warranty on a car you purchase from another dealer after an inspection - however none would sell it if you purchased from a private party. I talked down a local MB dealer to selling the warranty for $3650 (started at $4450) - however, I was able to purchase the same warranty through a large Toyota dealership for $2850. 4 year/60k additional miles, fully transferable, bumper to bumper, accepted at any MB dealership. I had the private seller I was purchasing from transfer the title to his friend's dealership (really just a friend with dealer's license in Alaska where there's no tax/registration fees) and completed the vehicle purchase through "the dealer" so it would remain eligible for warranty.

Was quite the process, but totally worth it.