W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
Originally Posted by Zod
What year is it again?
oh yes 2010...and pretty much getting into 2011, and yet I have not heard of ''The great E apocalypse of Exploding death''!!!
So what's that nearly 8 years?
Some of them have been in seriously hot countries and no kaboom!

Not that I do not feel for your issue & the others that are facing it & wish it to be resolved . I also do believe that the people who are getting the issue again after it getting fixed, did not get it done right

I will try and help with getting some info on what gets done here from this side of the globe
I tend to agree. If this was such a major problem, wouldn't there have been at least ONE report of a fire or explosion?

I've never smelled any gas.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 E63
We are talking about 4200 cars between 03-06 and in hot climates. The repeat failures are spaced apart by sometimes over a year or two years. You want to tell me these repeat failures are due to dealer level poor workmanship?

Bunk

I can only see my fuel leak and others with similar problems to understand that these things are ticking time bombs.

Past that I make no suppositions. I have facts and evidence of repeated fuel leaks in hot climates. Some leaks are severe and present a hazard. The repeated leaks happen 1 to 2 years after "updated" parts were installed.

Can I be any clearer?

Who knows why these leaks are taking a couple years to surface. I only know they are there.

Originally Posted by Zod
What year is it again?
oh yes 2010...and pretty much getting into 2011, and yet I have not heard of ''The great E apocalypse of Exploding death''!!!
So what's that nearly 8 years?
Some of them have been in seriously hot countries and no kaboom!

Not that I do not feel for your issue & the others that are facing it & wish it to be resolved . I also do believe that the people who are getting the issue again after it getting fixed, did not get it done right

I will try and help with getting some info on what gets done here from this side of the globe

Last edited by 03RSTT; 08-30-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by 03RSTT
We are talking about 4200 cars between 03-06 and in hot climates. The repeat failures are spaced apart by sometimes over a year or two years. You want to tell me these repeat failures are due to dealer level poor workmanship?

Bunk

I can only see my fuel leak and others with similar problems to understand that these things are ticking time bombs.

Past that I make no suppositions. I have facts and evidence of repeated fuel leaks in hot climates. Some leaks are severe and present a hazard. The repeated leaks happen 1 to 2 years after "updated" parts were installed.

Can I be any clearer?

You better take math again. Try 4 to 7 yrs old. Who knows why these leaks are taking a couple years to surface. I only know they are there.
I can not help my self, the constant bomb alert reciting is causing me to gigle sorry , I have yet to see a post without bomb in it

You talk of facts, well facts are as follows:
  1. Non have gone kaboom in the 7-8 years of production/usage
  2. Non have gone Kaboom in one of the hotest countries on earth (might want to look up where I live & we have alot of benzs)

As for how they fix them over here, am told its as follows:
''The factory fix for the leak is the sleeve at the ventilation pipe''

and your fix is simple replace ''bomb'' with ''Torq'' and you will be on your marry way
p.s yes i know its ''torque'' , but had to make it fit the 4 letters of doom :p

No more taking the **** from my side though am all torqued out !

Take care and mind those nasty German AMG cars!!!
Am told they pack quite the punch...in a non lethal way

Last edited by Zod; 08-29-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:17 AM

E55 AMG
O3RSTT- I know what you are all about. I have seen your posts under your other names in the Audi and Lexus forums. You seem to be a lonely older man who fuels on stirring up a car community. You do a lot of talking to yourself until some newbie decides to agree with you. There is no potential bomb going on with these fuel leaks, they are just annoying at most. It is time for you to complain about a different car on a different forum imo. This issue has come up a long time ago and is now dead. Sell your E if MB is so crappy and enjoy your Audi that you have to import all your parts for. Lol.

Bingo!

Last edited by snail45; 08-30-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
+1 snail something is fishy with this guy

This thread is starting to become a nuisance with all these claims of our cars being bombs and bad quality. The fact is you cannot say they are bombs if a) they are not literally lol b) none have blown up ever! Also, on your production #'s there were 7000+ built between 03-06'.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
You can't say bomb on an airplane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ25xMRHtj4
Old 08-30-2010, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

haha
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM

2005 E55
You May or May Not Have This Issue...but, soon maybe!

I have made every effort to not be baited to respond to some of the comments recently made about a situation some MB E55 owners are having but the truth of the matter is this:

1) This installation has design issues and a recall was conducted to solve it.
2) Some of the recall installations are failing and causing gas to leak out causing gas fumes and gasoline to enter the rear cabin area and drip beneath the car.
3) Depending on the severity of the leak the leaking gas could run to the hot exhaust pipe or fumes become combustible should someone light a cigarette, etc.
4) Damage to the car can result even if no fire occurs (in my case the insulation pad and seat cushion will require replacement due to both being soaked with gas.

Now whether you agree with the style in which a forum member has communicated this information is not the main issue...and we should stay focused on "keeping the main thing the main thing", there is a problem and like many of forum posts this information is important and was key in ensuring that I did not place my family or personal safety at risk....for this I am thankful.

No wise person would knowingly put their child, wife or anyone for that matter in a rear seat that has gas soaked cushions or pooled gas sitting beneath them...for this I am thankful for the information.

Lets maintain the innocence and value of what this forum brings to so many...knowledge, experience and from time to time a chuckle or two.

I have had to wait 7 days to get my car in the shop (our local MB service center was slammed last week) to correct this issue and I will be glad to get this behind me so I can continue to enjoy my wonderful car.

Thanks MBWorld for having a forum such as this to keep everyone in connection with experiences and knowledge...I don't personnally have to have a bad experience to benefit from it...I can learn from others experience.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM

13 E63
Funny that you have nothing but personal attacks and stfu comments. What benefit are your posts? Clearly there are additional owners that have found a serious situation on their E55 as a result of this thread but you have your own personal stfu agenda. right? Got it. You have your E forum.

Originally Posted by snail45
O3RSTT- I know what you are all about. I have seen your posts under your other names in the Audi and Lexus forums. You seem to be a lonely older man who fuels on stirring up a car community. You do a lot of talking to yourself until some newbie decides to agree with you. There is no potential bomb going on with these fuel leaks, they are just annoying at most. It is time for you to complain about a different car on a different forum imo. This issue has come up a long time ago and is now dead. Sell your E if MB is so crappy and enjoy your Audi that you have to import all your parts for. Lol.

Bingo!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
You keep wanting to shift the blame to the dealer level. There is no evidence to support this claim. This is a MB design issue and the component has failed over and over and over again. The dealers all over the country cannot be making the same mistake over and over and over again. The new parts seal for a year or two but the cars in hot climates fail over and over and over again.

I'm trying to alert everyone to the potential of a hazard. Those that have found the exact same problem understand how serious this is.

I really dont care why the fuel level sensor was "supposed" to be changed. I have reality and so do many many other owners.

In the end our car is fixed for now and I hope MB gets the class action suit. The actions by MB have made it crystal clear we will never own a MB again.
I have just about had it with your suppositions. No evidence to support your claims and quick to give the MB design a pass.

Why do you even care? You dont own one of these bombs?

How can you make the determination that the dealers are causing these repeated failures? You have no proof. None. Nada. Zero.
Actually that's not the case (my "wanting to shift the blame to the dealer level.") I'm not wanting to do anything but have a sensible dialogue about the issue. And why do I care? Does the E63 have the "redesigned" sending unit, too? Is it going to leak eventually? Perhaps. In addition, I have relatives and friends who own pre-FL E Class cars. I'm concerned too, when issues like this appear.

That you've "had it with my suppositions" is a bit myopic. The fact of the matter is that if you search here and on all the other MB forums, people have had the issue addressed by the dealer in a multitude of ways: from replacing the unit, replacing the unit and filter, only replacing the filter, not replacing the unit and only replacing the gasket, replacing the fuel tank and not the unit, replacing the unit and the fuel tank and the gasket, and some (not responding to the recall) even did their own homemade version of a fix.

In addition, the MBCA mentioned that dealers may not have responded properly to the recall. Also the NHTSA (for some reason, right or wrong) has not recognized this as a safety issue and instead it was a voluntary recall. And MBUSA does not and will not release numbers and info about the repairs, which is unfortunate. So we don't have the complete facts here.

As Bonai Kid says, this should be about dialogue. It is much more constructive, imho, if we could approach all the angles and discuss it like mature adults. Despite if some of the info and/or opinions run contrary to your views about the issue.

I sincerely understand your frustration, but acting like Chicken Little can sometimes alienate people. Just a few months ago on RS6.com you said: "I'm done with Audi. I will call BMW and Benz to confirm their support status and they get my business. Period end of story." And a few years ago you said you will never own another Lexus. Sure we all get frustrated with the way car companies are run, it's understandable. But simply being reactionary has a history of not solving anything. I'm happy that you haven't ever had to deal with PCNA and Porsche's failing IMS and RMS issues. Talk about a company telling you to go f**k yourself; that's when PCNA showed its true colors.

And (unfortunately) MBUSA isn't listening anyway, so it's not doing them any harm.

You said, "see you in court" and that you've notified your local news station. So, hopefully you'll post here as to the progress on that end. Maybe you'll get somewhere with it. In the meantime people will post their experiences and we can start seeing if a pattern develops and get some numbers. But it's simply a car forum and not the best place to get true stats on what's going on. MBUSA has that info, which we can't see until somebody makes them divulge it. Maybe you can with your legal action.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:52 PM

13 E63
Chicken little? Taking Audi comments out of context? Please get a life.

I used strong language but provided other owners a clear process to make educated decisions and check their cars before any potential harm. Several E55 owners found a potential hazardous situation and can make proper repairs. What have you done?

I understand many folks dont wish to hear the bad news about their car and the language may seem harsh but if you have this problem its another story.

So I will leave the thread to serve as a resourse and stop the bomb threats.

Originally Posted by 220S
Actually that's not the case (my "wanting to shift the blame to the dealer level.") I'm not wanting to do anything but have a sensible dialogue about the issue. And why do I care? Does the E63 have the "redesigned" sending unit, too? Is it going to leak eventually? Perhaps. In addition, I have relatives and friends who own pre-FL E Class cars. I'm concerned too, when issues like this appear.

That you've "had it with my suppositions" is a bit myopic. The fact of the matter is that if you search here and on all the other MB forums, people have had the issue addressed by the dealer in a multitude of ways: from replacing the unit, replacing the unit and filter, only replacing the filter, not replacing the unit and only replacing the gasket, replacing the fuel tank and not the unit, replacing the unit and the fuel tank and the gasket, and some (not responding to the recall) even did their own homemade version of a fix.

In addition, the MBCA mentioned that dealers may not have responded properly to the recall. Also the NHTSA (for some reason, right or wrong) has not recognized this as a safety issue and instead it was a voluntary recall. And MBUSA does not and will not release numbers and info about the repairs, which is unfortunate. So we don't have the complete facts here.

As Bonai Kid says, this should be about dialogue. It is much more constructive, imho, if we could approach all the angles and discuss it like mature adults. Despite if some of the info and/or opinions run contrary to your views about the issue.

I sincerely understand your frustration, but acting like Chicken Little can sometimes alienate people. Just a few months ago on RS6.com you said: "I'm done with Audi. I will call BMW and Benz to confirm their support status and they get my business. Period end of story." And a few years ago you said you will never own another Lexus. Sure we all get frustrated with the way car companies are run, it's understandable. But simply being reactionary has a history of not solving anything. I'm happy that you haven't ever had to deal with PCNA and Porsche's failing IMS and RMS issues. Talk about a company telling you to go f**k yourself; that's when PCNA showed its true colors.

And (unfortunately) MBUSA isn't listening anyway, so it's not doing them any harm.

You said, "see you in court" and that you've notified your local news station. So, hopefully you'll post here as to the progress on that end. Maybe you'll get somewhere with it. In the meantime people will post their experiences and we can start seeing if a pattern develops and get some numbers. But it's simply a car forum and not the best place to get true stats on what's going on. MBUSA has that info, which we can't see until somebody makes them divulge it. Maybe you can with your legal action.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Can someone confirm whether the E63s are susceptible to this as well. I was talking to a friend of mine with an 08 E63 and he was telling me he just had a fuel leak as well and took it to the dealership for repair
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM

13 E63
Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tell me the part number number for the w211 amg and I can check it and see if it is the same for the 63, thx.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mikey, according to epc.net:

Two sending/filter/pump units:

A211 470 4994
A211 470 4594

Seals:

A211 417 0579

One is the "new" unit, but sorry I don't know which number.

My service manager only said that the E63 had the "re-designed" part. He also said under the recall that at first they were only replacing the seal if the unit showed no cracking, but then replacing the whole unit and filter if it leaked again.

Perhaps the OP (or somebody else who had the recall done) can scan in their work order.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stirring up debate/MB owners is irrelevant imho. Regardless if there has been a fire yet or not, there is simply no denying that this is a dangerous issue. Would it only be appropriate to discuss this issue if someone had been seriously injured/killed? I would hope not...

Please, stick to the issue at hand. Show me a class action and I'll sign on the dotted line.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks 220S. I will check it out and report back.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Seems like it's affecting other models as well

i cant f***ing believe it!!!

Last edited by MB_Forever; 08-31-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Seems like it's affecting other models as well

i cant f***ing believe it!!!
Yeah, as I mentioned before in another post, it's not confined to AMGs. It's an issue with any model that has the original part number including E Class cars.

I did get a reply back from MBUSA that was interesting. But I feel better in respect to how to deal with it now. I'm going to stop in at the dealership after lunch and get some parts numbers to compare.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by 220S
Yeah, as I mentioned before in another post, it's not confined to AMGs. It's an issue with any model that has the original part number including E Class cars.

I did get a reply back from MBUSA that was interesting. But I feel better in respect to how to deal with it now. I'm going to stop in at the dealership after lunch and get some parts numbers to compare.
Can you please PM me the information as well
Old 08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
I know that none of the MB had blown up yet, but you can't be serious if you think the car wreak with gasonline smell is normal. I'm glad I found this thread and checked my car. I'm paying very close attention to the problem. So far I've been able to fix my problem by re-tighten the "basket" and stop over-fill the car.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 PM

13 E63
Sending units for E55

211 470 17 94...pass side with fuel pumps/filters
211 470 51 94...drivers side with level sensor, fpr and hoses

Seal rings are the same

211 471 05 79

Clearly paranoia.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...g-believe.html

Last edited by 03RSTT; 08-31-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM

Black e55
Ferrari acknowledged a fire hazard issue today.

I think MB should follow suit with this issue as it has the same potential risks:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11156782
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Black e55
Originally Posted by mikey33
+1 snail something is fishy with this guy

This thread is starting to become a nuisance with all these claims of our cars being bombs and bad quality. The fact is you cannot say they are bombs if a) they are not literally lol b) none have blown up ever! Also, on your production #'s there were 7000+ built between 03-06'.
My e55 is the "bomb".............I just don't want it to blow up.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tell me the part number number for the w211 amg and I can check it and see if it is the same for the 63, thx.
Thanks 220S. I will check it out and report back.
Mikey, MBUSA gave me the correct part numbers for the latest (W211) E63s. The part numbers I posted earlier (45 and 49) are not for the latest units. Seals are the same on all units.

And the very latest (E63) ones are different than the part numbers that 03RSTT posted a few posts above.

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Can you please PM me the information as well
Mo, I sent you a pm.

I hope we can all discuss this issue rationally so we could at least maybe get some things figured out. It's fine to post warnings and keep everybody on their toes. And if people want to call the local news stations and contact lawyers, then more power to them. But in the meantime, let's also try to have a reasonable dialogue about it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Urgent notice. 03-06 E55's that were involved in the fuel sender recall are bombs.