EuroTeck Diffuser Fitment Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Question EuroTeck Diffuser Fitment Issues

So after the 3rd time of me pulling this thing off and re-attaching it I'm still ending up with this gap over one of the fins. It fits absolutely perfect by the edges where you bolt it in and everywhere else it just has this bulge that is kinda annoying me... Well enough to the point where I'm reaching out for help.

Does anyone else have this problem? Or have a good way to solve the problem? Any ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've run out of ideas and am starting to think it may be my bumper

I'm not going to blame Euroteck for the issue seeing as how they come from a mold and everyone else seems to be successful so it may just be my car... Who knows

Here's some pics to show the problem. TIA!

Old 08-23-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
That may actually be an installation thing.... you may want to start aligning the center part first instead of one of the sides. Did you talk to Neal yet? He can guide you through it over the phone.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 E55, 2009 VW GLI
i initially went with a 3/8 bit when i made my holes. the mounting bolts went right in, but the diffuser was bowing like yours. took the diffuser off and looked at the bolts. after a few seconds i noticed the mounting bolts had a tapered look...sort of anyway. i went with a half inch bit and that solved my problem.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S63 AMG, E55 AMG,C Class AMG CLK55 AMG, Jeep Rubicon
Align center first to mark holes at either end.

TGoss, I had this same problem when I installed mine.

The trick is this...... make those mounting holes bigger then you think and, and as I was making them bigger, I made sure to taper them towards the top. Or as I kept going back to open the holes wider, I made sure to open the hole up at the top.

If you mark the bumper where the screws initially touch the bumper when you test fit it, it will not fit right. It gives you a nice starting point, but the holes have to be a little higher than it seems.

Since the outside screws go in at an angle, if you mark the bumper exactly where the tips of the screws hit the bumper, you will be way off and get a gap in center or at either end.

So after you make those marks, drill the hole much bigger then you think you need it. As you continue to drill the hole bigger, have a tendancy to round out the top side of your newly drilled hole.

I ended up with about a nickel size hole because I drilled the original holes a little low. I just made sure to use a washer on the back side.

You should notice it start to fit better, and as you open that hole up even more towards the top of the diffuser, it should start fitting better until it is perfect.

I was having this exact same situation and it was as simple as moving the holes up a little higher, although it does not look like it will fit with the holes up so high, when you flush it against the bumper it works itself out.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
That may actually be an installation thing.... you may want to start aligning the center part first instead of one of the sides. Did you talk to Neal yet? He can guide you through it over the phone.
You know I haven't. I should probably give him a call. Thanks!

Originally Posted by O-55
i initially went with a 3/8 bit when i made my holes. the mounting bolts went right in, but the diffuser was bowing like yours. took the diffuser off and looked at the bolts. after a few seconds i noticed the mounting bolts had a tapered look...sort of anyway. i went with a half inch bit and that solved my problem.
Originally Posted by jkintegra
The trick is this...... make those mounting holes bigger then you think and, and as I was making them bigger, I made sure to taper them towards the top. Or as I kept going back to open the holes wider, I made sure to open the hole up at the top.
Awesome! Sounds like this is my problem.. I was pretty worried when I first drilled the holes on how big I should make them. I'll rip it off again and widen those up a bit towards the top.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions guys
Old 08-23-2010, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Tal,

Also, LOAD that sucker up with double sided tape. My holes were drilled larger so the fit was good but the tape lost adhesion from the car washes, rain, etc. It started to sag so I took it off and basically BLANKETED the diffuser with double sided tape. No issues since.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by motorkas
Tal,

Also, LOAD that sucker up with double sided tape. My holes were drilled larger so the fit was good but the tape lost adhesion from the car washes, rain, etc. It started to sag so I took it off and basically BLANKETED the diffuser with double sided tape. No issues since.
Thanks BT! I just went a bought a huge azz role of 3M double sided tape. Looks exactly like the kind that was on there to begin with so hopefully it will work out alright.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan
EPOXY!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by malakasnyc
EPOXY!!!!!!
Exactly what kind and where can I obtain it might I ask?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a Rivera...via a Custom 24, Strat and Les Paul
Tal - think twice about the epoxy- Lets see - different wheels (different finishes on different wheels), switching hood emblems around, K1, K2...; you epoxy that bad boy on, you're going to need a chisel to get it off.

. . . and then you're crying over broken carbon fiber, you can't sell it to pay for the new diffuser. . .do I need to go on?
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63
My issues was the right side looking at it. The CF was thicker there, so we just shaved it off and it solved the problem. I went epoxy, didn't want to deal with tape etc and the bs of keeping it attached.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by jdeastbay
My issues was the right side looking at it. The CF was thicker there, so we just shaved it off and it solved the problem. I went epoxy, didn't want to deal with tape etc and the bs of keeping it attached.
Did you do it yourself? The second time I tried to get fitment before removing the tape backing did not go well so I gave up. SonicMS was not willing to try installing, surprisingly. I found a good body shop in Gilroy who will install it for me, but I would need to take a day off to do it.

To be honest, the epoxy does not bother me since I have no plans to ever change it.

Last edited by Jon2007E63P30; 08-23-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Sorry to hear you are having fitment issues tgoss. I would recommend like others have said to slowly makes the holes you drilled bigger and keep test fitting until it fits perfect. After that I would try silicone instead of the tape because the hold will be very good. Also, make sure you have at least 5 clamps if you are going to do the silicone route so you can have them support the piece while it drys which I left overnight.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Did you do it yourself? The second time I tried to get fitment before removing the tape backing did not go well so I gave up. SonicMS was not willing to try installing, surprisingly. I found a good body shop in Gilroy who will install it for me, but I would need to take a day off to do it.

To be honest, the epoxy does not bother me since I have no plans to ever change it.
You still haven't mounted yours on Jon?
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 AM

2019 s560 sedan
Originally Posted by tgoss
Bruce@ TTM put mine on . Send him a PM he will tell you .
Old 08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awesome! Thanks for all the help guys!!!

I have a little time off tomorrow so I'll fiddle around and see what I can come up with. I'll take some pics of progress and update this thread just in case someone else has issues like this down the road.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:40 PM

2005 E55 / 2008 E63

My local indy (eastbay) did it while performing regular service. He fought the tape and recommended epoxy. Same boat as you, no plans to ever take off as it's a major upgrade to the stock.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
You still haven't mounted yours on Jon?
Nope. Since it is my only vehicle and work is busy, I just have not had time. If body shops were closed on Mon/Tue and open Sat/Sun, then it would have been done months ago. As would a complete detail and new clear bra from Premier.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Nope. Since it is my only vehicle and work is busy, I just have not had time. If body shops were closed on Mon/Tue and open Sat/Sun, then it would have been done months ago. As would a complete detail and new clear bra from Premier.
I can't help you with the body shops part because I know how hard it is to find one that is open on the weekends, but for the clear bra, I know Premier is always open on Saturdays.... and always have been since they started
Old 08-26-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG

Any luck with a better fit Tgoss?

tiger seal or seam sealer, which is used on the body panel joins.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:42 AM

1969 280S, 1991 300E
I had to mount mine twice as well. Mine looked exactly like yours the first time.

It didn't fit perfectly until i drilled the holes more towards the BOTTOM of the bumper. It took me a few hours start to finish on the second try, including removing the old tape and absolutely covering it with new tape.

I bought a roll of the 3M heavy duty tape. They label it as the strongest stuff they have. It's thicker than the stuff that was on when i received it.

Once it fits right, it looks absolutely beautiful.

Probably my favourite mod, aside from wheels & lowering.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by £ C43 £ AMG £
Any luck with a better fit Tgoss?

tiger seal or seam sealer, which is used on the body panel joins.
Not yet. Bruce recommended Norton SpeedGrip to get the job done but I can't find it anywhere but ordering it online. And you need a special applicator to apply the epoxy. I'll have to screw around with it this weekend when I'm not getting bugged by work all day

Can you buy the above sealers at auto parts stores?
Old 08-29-2010, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
3M Heavy Duty Tape. Home Depot. Listed at holding 5LB, but when you use a lot, it would hold just about anything. Good ****
Old 08-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Not yet. Bruce recommended Norton SpeedGrip to get the job done but I can't find it anywhere but ordering it online. And you need a special applicator to apply the epoxy. I'll have to screw around with it this weekend when I'm not getting bugged by work all day

Can you buy the above sealers at auto parts stores?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/U-Pol...motiveQ5fTools

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DYNAT...motiveQ5fTools