W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you say if you found out that a "reputable" Tuner was lying about mods?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
On another note, I'm not sure RENNtech ever claimed that a certain product of theirs would lead to certain world records. They are usually on the very conservative side of things. They don't post huge dynos or claim to produce the highest numbers. From my experience, their claims have actually been lower than others although usually guaranteed and repeatable.
Have you watched the youtube videos under RenntechTV?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 K1
Post Illegal and hard to believe!

We all know false advertizing occurs all the time when it comes to magazine road tests of new models. I recall the first road test by Car and Driver of a C63 that ran 12.3 at 116MPH. Clearly this car had been tuned to the full potential of the AMG 63 engine and was not "stock".

What we are talking about here is not only illegal but also exposes the tuner to tremendous liability. If the unauthorized mods result in a serious accident, the tuner would be subject to substantail civil penalties and even criminal charges.

It's hard to believe any tuner would be that stupid.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
Originally Posted by Coalman
We all know false advertizing occurs all the time when it comes to magazine road tests of new models. I recall the first road test by Car and Driver of a C63 that ran 12.3 at 116MPH. Clearly this car had been tuned to the full potential of the AMG 63 engine and was not "stock".
Bad example, there are faster times on dragtimes.com of stock vehicles.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Have you watched the youtube videos under RenntechTV?
Me thinks that all of this could hypothetically be about this car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=GyUY...eature=channel

Video states it owns the record with these mods:
  1. ECU/TCU
  2. Ram Air System
  3. Intercooler Upgrade
  4. High Flow Exhaust
  5. Limited Slip Differential

Which leads you to believe that if you have these RENNtech mods on your CL65, you too can have these times.

Me also thinks that this isn't the complete list of mods.

**EDIT***

Ahmad, I see you already posted this on the last page. Somehow I missed it.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 09-14-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:43 PM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
they were not specific enough -- i think they should say -- NOS ecu tune --seems like that is what everyone is getting at ---

tuners are misleading all the time -- and RT is probably the only tuner big enough to enforce a signed contract of shut-your face.

but if you buy RT stuff that is the least of your problems - you rich *******s-- throw some money this way.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
Im running 11.01 - Stock except ECU tune that I did myself. I used some wires I found in the garage to do the tune. Also, im on bald street tires.. and this was in the rain. now...

--------------------------------------------------------
MODS: Bramage Tune- Bald Street Tire (Bias Ply)- Super Boot Lid Spoiler
Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Originally Posted by Coalman

What we are talking about here is not only illegal but also exposes the tuner to tremendous liability. If the unauthorized mods result in a serious accident, the tuner would be subject to substantail civil penalties and even criminal charges.

It's hard to believe any tuner would be that stupid.
. nov 08 Atco track rental.
12.2 at 115+ MPH STOCK c63 street tires and DR's i ran 12.1 and a buddy of mine ran 12.20 at 116 on street tires the same day i ran 12.1 on DR's very very bad example.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
You gotta be kidding me...

...I just read FOUR PAGES of "hypotheticals" with NO solid confirmation from the OP yet? WTF!

I feel used

BTW Marco your Hennessey references are so true. I lived in Houston for many years, don't get me started on that company.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
Blah fn blah, close the thread if the guy doesn't have the ***** to come out and tell the entire story. The mods, the senior members, and everyone else have advised you to tell us who the tuner is. If you don't want to do so, get lost.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:33 AM

2003 E55 K1
Smile

Originally Posted by chubbs032
Bad example, there are faster times on dragtimes.com of stock vehicles.
Perhaps it is a bad example and no disrespect to the C63, but even in relative terms versus the new M3 tested at the same time, I have to think the AMG may have been specially tuned for the road test. The same thing may have happened with the first Road and Track test of the 2003 E55. The car was much faster than a separate test on a different E55 two months later.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 C230 6speed/14 C63
LOCCCCCCCK THIS ****!!

OR SPILL THE BEANS OF COURSE!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Still with this ****?!?!?!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
F-250
If you are talking about some of the big names, that sell crap for 8X the realistic price.. who cares. If they can drum up sales based on deception, good for them. As they say: There is a fool born every minute. To fix the problem: Don't be a fool

On the other hand, if someone needs that last 1/2 HP and they can get it with a $6000 throttle body kit, or a $3000 cooling system upgrade (that can be home built for less than $1K). Awesome. But the deception is not being identified, so it really means nothing at this point... sorta like my post

PS- Love my shirt Beast.. 1st day I wore it someone comented on it. The only other shirt I have that gets comments is my "N.W.A. Straight outa Compton" shirt
Old 09-15-2010, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by mugatu22

...I just read FOUR PAGES of "hypotheticals" with NO solid confirmation from the OP yet? WTF!

I feel used

BTW Marco your Hennessey references are so true. I lived in Houston for many years, don't get me started on that company.
Originally Posted by itsmeek
Blah fn blah, close the thread if the guy doesn't have the ***** to come out and tell the entire story. The mods, the senior members, and everyone else have advised you to tell us who the tuner is. If you don't want to do so, get lost.
Two of the best posts here. This thread sucks, and that is not hypothetical at all. Spill the goods, or lock it.

I hate it when people want to expose something, and then just tease and backdoor what is really going on.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
This tread is as interesting as watching paint dry! hypotheticals speaking of course..
Old 09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
This tread is as interesting as watching paint dry! hypotheticals speaking of course..
I'm watching my grass grow as I type this....yawn.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:17 PM

2004 E55
completly stupid thread...i want the last ten min of my life back. I mean...whats the point of drumming up all this controversy and then backing away...either tell all or don't waste time by posting this "hypothetical' stuff. SAY IT or delete or lock the tread
Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by mugatu22

I feel used

I wouldn't have said it if it weren't true. You and I both know there's alot more to that character (Hennessey).....or lack theroff.....very similar to my "hypothetical" scenario
Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by alltrac
completly stupid thread...i want the last ten min of my life back. I mean...whats the point of drumming up all this controversy and then backing away...either tell all or don't waste time by posting this "hypothetical' stuff. SAY IT or delete or lock the tread
Your post and your sig go hand in hand!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 PM

CL65
Originally Posted by itsmeek
It's not about ***** but a potential lawsuit. Speaking of getting lost, you do have the option of not reading this thread you know.....
Old 09-16-2010, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Why start this thread if you were not going to spill the beans? Hypothetical or not just say it and if its true than you have nothing to worry about in terms of lawsuit; the company defrauding its customers will, but not you!
Old 09-16-2010, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mikey33
Why start this thread if you were not going to spill the beans? Hypothetical or not just say it and if its true than you have nothing to worry about in terms of lawsuit; the company defrauding its customers will, but not you!
I'm pretty sure if most of you guys read between the lines he's basically telling us who it is. At least I feel pretty damn confident he's point all fingers towards Renntech.

I myself have a few mods from Renntech, V3 airbox, 82mm TB, and Toe links. I have been very pleased about the performance and reliability of their products. I have no regret spending the money I did on a well developed product.

With that said, I do know of 3 different people that have/had their speed shift TCU and they all have issues with a shift. It's intermittent but when it is working correctly the shifts are very firm and quick.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 AM

CL65
It's just sort of disappointing that some tuners with big names, like Hennessey, with constant exposure on Dupont Registry and a worldwide customer base would resort to misleading potential customers and cheating against their competitors. These business practices can be effective, albeit unethical. How many Hennessey customers are really going to dyno their car or take it to the strip? Very small percentage. It is THIS characteristic of the common customer that is being exploited. Most will never verify the car's performance or are happy enough only to have the tuner with the "worlds fastest xxxxx" name on their car.
This is also the case with the "hypothetical" tuner's customer base, maybe even more so. But the clock is ticking and these are acts of desperation to save a deteriorating business. Time will tell if it was indeed effective. I can honestly say that I do wish them( all tuners engaged in unethical business practices and, even more so, the ones that engage in very ethical practices) the best, as I do to anyone that is in business in this difficult economy.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I am going to "hypothetically" disagree with the "deceitful" or "liar" claim towards RennTech. They maybe very expensive and very proud, but they are definitely NOT deceitful. They are very conservative in their claims - perhaps excessively so. One only has to look at their product brochure listed on their website to see such examples. They claim:

1) 33 hp gain (at the crank not at the wheels) from shorty headers and a tune on an E63. That's about 27 rwhp. In comparison, most tuners claim 30 rwhp from just a tune (no headers).

2) 45 hp gain (at the crank not at the wheels) from pulley and a tune on an E55 (Stage 1). That's about 36 rwhp. Again, most tuners claim 30 rwhp from just a tune.

3) 15 hp gain from shorty headers on an E63 and 20 hp gain from shorty headers on E55 (again, these gains are at the crank not at the wheels). I've seen companies claim anywhere from 30 to 50 rwhp from similar headers.

4) 0 hp gains from the regular cooling mods for an E55. Others claimed as high as 20 hp but 10 hp seems to be the widely adapted/accepted number.

5) 66 hp gain (at the crank not at the wheels) from ECU and TCU tunes for SL65. Almost all companies out there claim more than that.

6) 34 hp gain (at the crank not at the wheels) from pulley and tune on C32. That's about 27 rwhp. Others are claiming 50 rwhp.

To me these numbers are very conservative and incredibly modest. I've actually seen their products put down much bigger numbers/gains on some cars yet they never claim those high numbers. And despite knowing they would lose a lot of sales for not claiming the highest numbers and for not being the cheapest in terms of prices, they continue to keep their numbers very low. They use numbers that are very repeatable and very consistent. Numbers that they are comfortable with. As bassn_07 mentioned, their products are incredibly high quality and are very thought out. Here is another example: I looked at a one year old carbon fiber airbox from Carbonio and the thing looked absolutely yellow with semi-peeling-off clear coat while a 5-year old RENNtech carbon fiber air box looked almost brand new.

I also went back and looked at their videos online and found that aside from a couple of videos about Steve's car (SGC) where they mentioned his record-breaking pass, there were no claims of extremely high numbers or excessively un-realistic goals or anything like that

Last edited by MB_Forever; 09-16-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 AM

2006 E55 AMG --old cars -- E39 M5, 2.7tt Audi S4, E36 M3 **Ducati 996, 748
very very true !!!

but that one video is a bit far fetched ---- that is the only thing people are questioning and feel its misleading but we dont know what mods they left off the list -- but certainly there is something -- *COUGH* nos

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: What would you say if you found out that a "reputable" Tuner was lying about mods?