W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EC/LET Torque Converter upgrade- Reviews?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
EC/LET Torque Converter upgrade- Reviews?

I search on this and found some of the orignal GB info, but not a whole lot on reviews or feedback on long term use. My questions are:
1. Who is running one of these( or another Company's TC upgrade).
2. What has been the performance increase
3. How has it been for drivability and long term use

Hoping that a TC and my new 275 hoosiers will put me up there with the fastest of you guys...
Old 09-28-2010, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I search on this and found some of the orignal GB info, but not a whole lot on reviews or feedback on long term use. My questions are:

Hoping that a TC and my new 275 hoosiers will put me up there with the fastest of you guys...
1. i am

2. on a soft launch (1500rpm stall and slowly rolling into throttle) i ran a 1.63 60ft where my previous best at that track was 1.69 before the tc. i actually broke motor mounts on that launch so didn't get any further runs. i fully expect to be able to run 1.5x 60ft times when i actually get to launch hard...but that's all speculation until then.

3. daily drivability is affected and takes some getting used to. it will feel like the trans is slipping at the beginning of gears when you initially move into throttle. passengers won't notice anything but if you know your car you'll always feel it. it's nothing that would keep me away from a tc but i grew up on 3000rpm stall chevy's. and don't bother trying to launch with street tires ever again...it's a worthless endeavor!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Sounds good. Thx man. How long/much to get it installed?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds good. Thx man. How long/much to get it installed?
don't recall price but it's only a 2-3hr job iirc.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
3. daily drivability is affected and takes some getting used to
Same exact review of Mikeys. Big +1 on this part. The slipping is freaky but you just get used to it and hope she is not getting too hot.

Its fun though. OH she'll break the tires loose pretty good now for sure.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
So bottom line, recommended for a high hp 55K?? I am just rying to figure out if I am only interested because I am running out of mods, or is geniunely a great mod to do.

Pete
Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
So bottom line, recommended for a high hp 55K?? I am just rying to figure out if I am only interested because I am running out of mods, or is geniunely a great mod to do.

Pete
I'm not sure what you're asking of your car but great 60' times could be obtained with a stock converter. During winter I had some great 60' times along with awesome consistency. In one track event I hit several 60 times from 1.58-1.595...great day.

I love the way my car drives right now and I'm not sure if I'm willing to sacrifice the drive-ability just to gain a little if any. I need for someone to show me what these converters are capable of doing before consideration. The only one so far that has shown me this is Blackbenz but his car is in a completely different league than the E55's.

What's your best 60' time? Are you having traction issues, if you are a converter isn't going to help. IMO you better be dead hooking before making a decision.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon

Pete
Are you at the track the majority of the time? If this is your DD I wouldn't do it, high stall converters suck for city driving and cruising.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey KLR, I forgot if you have stock TB or larger? If you have stock, I would invest in the 80 or 82 and port that.

Sounds like you have the larger.....couldn't tell from your sig, but I would go larger TB instead of higher stall TC

These cars have been proven over and over to be starving for air and stock airbox and TB are chokin it.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hey KLR, I forgot if you have stock TB or larger? If you have stock, I would invest in the 80 or 82 and port that.

Sounds like you have the larger.....couldn't tell from your sig, but I would go larger TB instead of higher stall TC

These cars have been proven over and over to be starving for air and stock airbox and TB are chokin it.
Hey Jim, What kind of 60' times are you getting with the converter?
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 PP
Thx for the replies gents. Should be heading back to the track with my new 275/40 hoosiers on Sunday. I'll see what that does for my 60's and might move on from this thought. Working on some other things like SLR style coolers so might be better to focus my time and money on that.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55

Not to beat the SRT similarity to death BUT.....the SRT8 Jeep/Charger/300 uses the 722.6 NAG1. ProTorque is making a great TC eliminating the plastic stator and replacing it with billet aluminum. A NAG1 Torque Converter from Pro Torque should be less than $700 exchange.

The ProTorque maintains driveability without feeling mushy or loose.....this is important to those of us in the SRT community since most are daily drivers.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sgtstanko
Not to beat the SRT similarity to death BUT.....the SRT8 Jeep/Charger/300 uses the 722.6 NAG1. ProTorque is making a great TC eliminating the plastic stator and replacing it with billet aluminum. A NAG1 Torque Converter from Pro Torque should be less than $700 exchange.

The ProTorque maintains driveability without feeling mushy or loose.....this is important to those of us in the SRT community since most are daily drivers.

although i do recognize the similarity between the two platforms, every time i hear of a chrysler transmission guru saying he can tweak any part of our tranmissions because "they're the same as the srt's", i get worried. so far most of those guys that have touched any part of the daimler version of the 722 have caused it to puke it's guts all over the ground!!!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2004 E55,1969 300SEL6.3,2011 ML350 BlueTec Diesel,2005 ML400 CDI
Originally Posted by chiromikey
although i do recognize the similarity between the two platforms, every time i hear of a chrysler transmission guru saying he can tweak any part of our tranmissions because "they're the same as the srt's", i get worried. so far most of those guys that have touched any part of the daimler version of the 722 have caused it to puke it's guts all over the ground!!!
These folks know 722's. Even if you just go with their valve body.
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...rts.-51-1.html
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by AgSilver
How are you so sure?
Old 10-01-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Well, I could tell you from personal experience that these parts are not a direct replacement for our cars. I installed Builder Bills valve body mod and I had nothing but trouble from the get go. On my very first pass with the new valve body my TC and tranny took a dump....fluid pouring out from underneath. Up until that point my tranny was working flawless. Thanks to MBTEK my car was up and running 3 days later to only run a PB the following weekend. In short, unless you plan on rebuilding your tranny I would leave all internal components alone until replacing is needed.

IMO guys, be careful when people are telling you these parts are interchangeable. It cost me a tranny and TC.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hey Jim, What kind of 60' times are you getting with the converter?
After we swapped trannies (just put in another stocker) and the new TC, the economy collapsed and everything went on hold.

Was gonna try to run at the local track last weekend just to see where the heck I am time wise in the this car but forgot I had in laws coming to town. Fun Fun! Now they are shut down for the year.

She definitely launches super hard and spins the tires pretty easy now (for years I couldn't) so I bet with hook she is probably near you guys 1.6-1.7. Not sure if it was tranny or the new TC but something made her FINALLY get up and jump.

Imagine stomping your car and having it bogggggggggggggggggg, and then get into a power band like a 2 stroker.

I am begging you guys, listen to Bassn and Mikey. Tinkering with the guts of these Benz trannies just messes them up and we can't figure out why. Doesn't seem to effect the dodge guys at all. Just a word of warning from a guy who has seen it quite a few times now with valve body swappers.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Mercedes E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
After we swapped trannies (just put in another stocker) and the new TC, the economy collapsed and everything went on hold.

Was gonna try to run at the local track last weekend just to see where the heck I am time wise in the this car but forgot I had in laws coming to town. Fun Fun! Now they are shut down for the year.

She definitely launches super hard and spins the tires pretty easy now (for years I couldn't) so I bet with hook she is probably near you guys 1.6-1.7. Not sure if it was tranny or the new TC but something made her FINALLY get up and jump.

Imagine stomping your car and having it bogggggggggggggggggg, and then get into a power band like a 2 stroker.

I am begging you guys, listen to Bassn and Mikey. Tinkering with the guts of these Benz trannies just messes them up and we can't figure out why. Doesn't seem to effect the dodge guys at all. Just a word of warning from a guy who has seen it quite a few times now with valve body swappers.
Just so I'm clear are you saying do not change the TC???
Old 10-01-2010, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Originally Posted by AgSilver
would you be willing to put money on it that their valve body won't blow up an e55 transmission? many have tried and i don't know of a single success story so far. i tried to talk alan out of letting a chrysler 722 expert modify his and he learned the hard way!
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Obviously you are speaking of BuilderBill....and I wouldnt let him put a gear on my lawnmower. There is no similarity between the tranny's..... because they are identical!! I have gone to MB and bought the identical tranny parts(and installed them) only because Chrysler charges more than Mercedes.

Originally Posted by bassn_07
Well, I could tell you from personal experience that these parts are not a direct replacement for our cars. I installed Builder Bills valve body mod and I had nothing but trouble from the get go. On my very first pass with the new valve body my TC and tranny took a dump....fluid pouring out from underneath. Up until that point my tranny was working flawless. Thanks to MBTEK my car was up and running 3 days later to only run a PB the following weekend. In short, unless you plan on rebuilding your tranny I would leave all internal components alone until replacing is needed.

IMO guys, be careful when people are telling you these parts are interchangeable. It cost me a tranny and TC.
Again, you bought from Bullsht....I mean BuilderBill. These part are IDENTICAL and your experience was obviously bad. However a valve body is an internal part with solenoids and has absolutely NOTHING to do with a tranny leaking from underneath. That sounds more like the "mechanic" that installed it didnt know what he was doing or left the valve body external connector loose and it blew from the side.

Bills valve body is way to harse and I swapped mine out for a stock SLR valve body with the blue top solenoids.......funny how that $800 SLR valve body slipped right into that JEEP tranny!!

I would never recommend that moron(BuilderBill). He is a former MB engineer and doesnt know the handle of a screwdriver!
Actually Eddie at Southern Hotrod is a former MB master mechanic, and is an alternate 722 builder we use, and he is totally against the machining Bill performs to these valve bodies and ONLY recommends the MB blue tops.

Besides this thread was about Torque converters.......

Last edited by sgtstanko; 10-01-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

actually, the last time i talked with eddie he also said nobody has been able to reliably mod our valve bodies so it's not just a bb issue.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
My trans has been running good so far (Eddie from SHR). I had to send it back initially apparently because builder bill had messed it up (befre they parted ways). Bill also received an axle from me which he was supposed to build stronger ones which he never did
Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by sgtstanko
[B]Again, you bought from Bullsht....I mean BuilderBill. These part are IDENTICAL and your experience was obviously bad. However a valve body is an internal part with solenoids and has absolutely NOTHING to do with a tranny leaking from underneath. That sounds more like the "mechanic" that installed it didnt know what he was doing or left the valve body external connector loose and it blew from the side.

Bills valve body is way to harse and I swapped mine out for a stock SLR valve body with the blue top solenoids.......funny how that $800 SLR valve body slipped right into that JEEP tranny!!

I would never recommend that moron(BuilderBill). He is a former MB engineer and doesnt know the handle of a screwdriver!
Actually Eddie at Southern Hotrod is a former MB master mechanic, and is an alternate 722 builder we use, and he is totally against the machining Bill performs to these valve bodies and ONLY recommends the MB blue tops.

Besides this thread was about Torque converters.......

That's funny how you figured out my problem so quickly.... I love the fact that you read one or two sentences that briefly describes my experience and yet you have it all figured out. I'm not going to even waste my time attempting to defend my buddy to a guy who thinks he knows everything about anything.

I'll tell you what, why don't you install your "former Mastet Tech's" product in your E55 and report back with results. You make claims and accusations but yet haven't done this to your MB.... I Just don't get some people.

BTW...Builder Bill gave me back a full refund and paid for my install and uninstall fees. It's funny that he did this since obviously in your eyes my tech doesn't know what he's doing.