Killer Chiller installed and....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Always pushing the envelope and being innovative!

EPIC KUDOS to you buddy!

Can't wait to see you @ Famoso and yer car run again!
Thanks Sun! This unit wouldn't benefit me at a private rental since I plan on using ice for my runs, but at the typical TNT day it would be huge.

I drove it a bit today but since it was raining I couldn't get on it. I actually logged 46 degrees on my IAT's while driving in town. At a stop it would go up to 52 but once running it dropped to a low of 46.....

I run a 3.5 gallon rear reservoir in the trunk and right now I'm experimenting with different volumes of water. As of now I have the tank 1/2 filled and I'm seeing excellent results. When it get warmer I'll have some better info gathered to share with the boards.

Famoso, damn that day is coming quick!!! I should be in LA this week and if you have time lets hookup. I plan on finalizing my tune because I'm pig rich right now and the car feels slightly sluggish.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Prius because I'm green
Originally Posted by bassn_07
Thanks Sun! This unit wouldn't benefit me at a private rental since I plan on using ice for my runs, but at the typical TNT day it would be huge.

I drove it a bit today but since it was raining I couldn't get on it. I actually logged 46 degrees on my IAT's while driving in town. At a stop it would go up to 52 but once running it dropped to a low of 46.....

I run a 3.5 gallon rear reservoir in the trunk and right now I'm experimenting with different volumes of water. As of now I have the tank 1/2 filled and I'm seeing excellent results. When it get warmer I'll have some better info gathered to share with the boards.

Famoso, damn that day is coming quick!!! I should be in LA this week and if you have time lets hookup. I plan on finalizing my tune because I'm pig rich right now and the car feels slightly sluggish.
It runs mid-high 10 second quarter miles and it feels sluggish he says! Who brought this guy haha! I love it! Wait are we going off topic talking about tunes in a killer chiller thread?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mikesamg
It runs mid-high 10 second quarter miles and it feels sluggish he says! Who brought this guy haha! I love it! Wait are we going off topic talking about tunes in a killer chiller thread?
Haha....11.2's at 127 at Sac is hardly mid 10's.

It's okay Mike, this is my thread and I'll allow people to go off topic, not like others.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Haha....11.2's at 127 at Sac is hardly mid 10's.

It's okay Mike, this is my thread and I'll allow people to go off topic, not like others.
Come on I was trying to build you up to scare the guys going to Famosa. I couldn't do it with my 11.7 runs, not with stock cooling and a non split system. I need to a reservoir or chiller!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
You know my number. Hit me up when yer in town and we'll catch up if the timing is good!

It runs mid-high 10 second quarter miles and it feels sluggish he says! Who brought this guy haha! I love it!
+1
Old 11-07-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
You know my number. Hit me up when yer in town and we'll catch up if the timing is good!

+1
I'm trying to roll down with him if my douchebag management lets me off, since you two are playing cars do you got any numbers I could use while down there Devildog?
Old 11-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

W221
I'm trying to roll down with him if my douchebag management lets me off, since you two are playing cars do you got any numbers I could use while down there Devildog?
Pm sent mang!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C218 CLS63TT PP Edition1, W213 E63S
great information my friend.

i didnt get it quiet well !!

if you have KC installed ! does it take more time to cool the temps ??

and will it be useful for back to back WOT ?
Old 11-08-2010, 03:29 AM

Brabus K8 E55 05
bassn_07, Good work.

Can you please post some pictures of this set up? and how much will it cost to make it? any special parts ? valve or something? will effect the cold air coming inside the car because we have hot weather here and we really like the cold air most of the time
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Thanks for the props guys but MBtek is the one that did all the leg work. I just happened to reap the benefits of the final product for test purposes. All the initial testing and bugs were worked out on his own car, great job Scott.

Please contact MBtek if you have any questions on what's needed to make this happen. Please keep in mind that each car will be slightly different depending on year, options, and mods. All though they are slightly different the concept still stays the same...hoses routed differently, location of the KC HE, and so on.

This morning on my drive to work the outside temps were at 52 degrees and at cruising speeds my IAT's stayed around 44-48 degrees. I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the limit of how cold the water could actually get considering the heat the engine puts out. Hopefully it will warm up soon and we'll be able see how this system will perform.

I'll keep the board updated.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Alan nice work buddy! Hey what exactly is a 'Killer Chiller' and how does it work? What options do we have to implement this on my SL55 in conjunction with Chris' dual pump remote reservior setup?

thanks bro...best of luck at Fomoso!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Yeah, I'm rich for other reasons. My IAT's were never that bad, just not that good. There's a certain place I like to be on my AFR's and I always strive for that number. This next tune is going to be very important and some time will need to go into it. I'm hoping this next one will be somewhat of a baseline for all my OE tuned brotha's .

The EGT sensor is very reasonably priced and in my mind a very important part of logging. By chance do you have a ZVAT unit yet for the Zeitronix? If not get one pronto and setup all you alarms. You could setup simple alarms or more complex ones, the sky is the limit. I use Rob over at Needswings for all my logging needs and more, if you want his contact info please let me know. He has always given me better prices than most.

Edit: Luis, maybe my tech will chime in and possibly try and get you a unit while race season is still here. The only downfall to this system would be lower inside temps at idle, but once the water cools the system works much less in keeping it cool. Worse case scenario, a bypass system could be incorporated easily to eliminate the KC out of the loop to get back full cooling strength to the cabin. This might be something the AZ boys or others living in unbearable temps during summer might want to consider.

Bottom line, the system is working and you don't need a rear reservoir...proven by Scott. Listen to the people who actually installed the system on the car and not sitting on a shelf.
They system is on a shelf with a low priority. Mainly because with the intercoolers working the way they should I have yet to see iats go over 120deg after a 1/4 mile pass on a 95deg day.

Anyways... Eliminate your trunk res. if its not necessay anymore and show a 10sec time slip with just the chiller. Than I will believe you that a tank does not help.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dsmed
Anyways... Eliminate your trunk res. if its not necessay anymore and show a 10sec time slip with just the chiller. Than I will believe you that a tank does not help.
Hmmmm....if you read my post again where I addressed your comment you'll see that I didn't say it wouldn't help . Let me quote if for you so there's no misunderstanding of what was posted.

You don't need the rear reservoir tank to reap benefits from this system, incorrect info. Maybe you won't see the same benefits as the rear reservoir but saying you need it is definitely not true.
I'm testing this unit out and logging it on my own car to see if this unit will benefit others. If people want to try the unit it will be up to them, the info will be there. If you have something to prove go out and do your own research, my car isn't one of your test mules.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:35 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Not sure what you are getting at here with saying I have something to prove. Aslo don't know where you got the idea that I want your car as one of my test mules.

I think we both agree that for the system to work to its full potential an additional res. will be needed.

I really don't see any reason here to get into any arguments here. Good luck with the testing and at the track.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dsmed
Not sure what you are getting at here with saying I have something to prove. Aslo don't know where you got the idea that I want your car as one of my test mules.

I think we both agree that for the system to work to its full potential an additional res. will be needed.

I really don't see any reason here to get into any arguments here. Good luck with the testing and at the track.
Yes, it's safe to say we both agree that a rear reservoir mount would be beneficial with this system.

I'm not looking for an argument here either, just posting up facts about what was said.

Thanks for the good luck and I'll continue to do testing and keep the board updated. Good luck on your ventures as well....
Old 11-09-2010, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the props guys but MBtek is the one that did all the leg work. I just happened to reap the benefits of the final product for test purposes. All the initial testing and bugs were worked out on his own car, great job Scott.

Please contact MBtek if you have any questions on what's needed to make this happen. Please keep in mind that each car will be slightly different depending on year, options, and mods. All though they are slightly different the concept still stays the same...hoses routed differently, location of the KC HE, and so on.

This morning on my drive to work the outside temps were at 52 degrees and at cruising speeds my IAT's stayed around 44-48 degrees. I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the limit of how cold the water could actually get considering the heat the engine puts out. Hopefully it will warm up soon and we'll be able see how this system will perform.

I'll keep the board updated.

i dont mind if he can prepare a kit and instructions and will sell it for me.

i am willing to buy it with his effort in considration.

moine doesn't has distronic and i really don't care alot on cabin cooling because i only drive it @ night.

please if you can contact him or PM his conatct information.

thanks for your effort and using your car in testing.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Ali_E55
i dont mind if he can prepare a kit and instructions and will sell it for me.

i am willing to buy it with his effort in considration.

moine doesn't has distronic and i really don't care alot on cabin cooling because i only drive it @ night.

please if you can contact him or PM his conatct information.

thanks for your effort and using your car in testing.
Thank you for the appreciation and efforts MBtek put into this project! He use to be a big Ford guy before moving over into MB's several years ago and he's just applying the same principals that worked on their cars.

I'll be visiting my buddy this Thursday again to finish up wrapping my lines with insulation, installing a bypass valve, and also insulating my rear reservoir box. I'm hoping to get another few degrees out of the system....

We are still in the testing phase but everything is looking very good on both my highly modded cooling car and his stock cooling except for the upgraded HE. If you are willing to accept the results provided so far I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem getting you a kit. MBtek will supply the kit, instructions, and most importantly the support of the install. Like I mentioned before each setup could be unique but the concept and parts list will still be the same.

Just in case you missed it I'll recap on his results with his car. The very first day I witnessed this unit I couldn't believe it. We were at Infineon Raceway with 85 degree weather and a ton of cars. As we were waiting for our group to get called Scott showed me the unit and how it works. His IAT's were at close to 100 degrees at idle and slowly worked it's way down to the 60's, I would say within 3-5 minutes. After this I was sold and we discussed testing it on my car next since I had all the upgraded cooling mods.

Several weeks later we decided to head to Sacramento Raceway in some nasty 90 degree weather. When we arrived at the track the temps were in the mid 90's and packed. Knowing how hot the day was I brought a ton of ice to cool my reservoir but with the track being so crowded it was almost pointless, long staging times kill IAT's. I would ice my car until IAT's would reach in the mid 40' but by time I staged and finally lined up they ended up at close to 90. Mean while my tech was enjoying the air condition blasting away in his car with IAT's down in the high 50's to low 60's..... This is when I knew we had to make this a priority and get it installed on my system. He hot lapped the crap out his car that day while I sat there attempting to get my car cooled down for its next run. He ended up running a 11.4's that day, all day long in 90 degree weather.

Like I mentioned earlier in this rambling, if you are willing to do further testing and post results I'm sure my buddy wouldn't have a problem getting you a kit. He has no plans on making this readily available until we could fully prove out the system. I know the weather you live in is somewhat extreme and IMO it would be great to get more results.

Let me know if you would like to move forward and I'll speak with MBtek this Thursday.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
I am seriously interested as well. Please let me know how to proceed when he is ready to start getting some kits out the door.

Pete
Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Add me to the list too.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
w212 E63 / 996tt
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I am seriously interested as well. Please let me know how to proceed when he is ready to start getting some kits out the door.

Pete
I too am EXTREMELY interested in being a first phase purchaser / tester. I know for a fact this list will grow....

a BIG thanks to MBtek & Alan for the pioneering and testing

Dare we start a list
1.Ali_E55 (E55)
2.KLR CLS (CLS55)
3.Forrest Gump 9 (E55)
4.Roseylv (CLS55)

Last edited by Roseylv; 11-09-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Alan see if your tech can put a kt together for my SL55...hardward/plumbing may be a bit different.

Is the KC beneficial most with hot weather and long staging lines for the most part? ...on the east coast here it's pretty cool in the fall and early spring...then cold in winter and of course summers are hot and humid. Also our track day rentals ussually do not have the issue of long lines...so I'm wondering if just a remote reservoir ice setup will be effective enough..dunno

One last thing....you have to run the AC in order for the KC to work and drop IATs right? So I am assuming while you are waiting for your run you turn the AC on then shut it off for the run since AC robs power...is this accurate? I think the real benfit then would be in the summer when most of us run our AC while driving the car all the time, in which case it would keep IATs down consistantly...

Am I getting this right...or am I missing something?

thanks bro
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thank you for the appreciation and efforts MBtek put into this project! He use to be a big Ford guy before moving over into MB's several years ago and he's just applying the same principals that worked on their cars.

I'll be visiting my buddy this Thursday again to finish up wrapping my lines with insulation, installing a bypass valve, and also insulating my rear reservoir box. I'm hoping to get another few degrees out of the system....

We are still in the testing phase but everything is looking very good on both my highly modded cooling car and his stock cooling except for the upgraded HE. If you are willing to accept the results provided so far I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem getting you a kit. MBtek will supply the kit, instructions, and most importantly the support of the install. Like I mentioned before each setup could be unique but the concept and parts list will still be the same.

Just in case you missed it I'll recap on his results with his car. The very first day I witnessed this unit I couldn't believe it. We were at Infineon Raceway with 85 degree weather and a ton of cars. As we were waiting for our group to get called Scott showed me the unit and how it works. His IAT's were at close to 100 degrees at idle and slowly worked it's way down to the 60's, I would say within 3-5 minutes. After this I was sold and we discussed testing it on my car next since I had all the upgraded cooling mods.

Several weeks later we decided to head to Sacramento Raceway in some nasty 90 degree weather. When we arrived at the track the temps were in the mid 90's and packed. Knowing how hot the day was I brought a ton of ice to cool my reservoir but with the track being so crowded it was almost pointless, long staging times kill IAT's. I would ice my car until IAT's would reach in the mid 40' but by time I staged and finally lined up they ended up at close to 90. Mean while my tech was enjoying the air condition blasting away in his car with IAT's down in the high 50's to low 60's..... This is when I knew we had to make this a priority and get it installed on my system. He hot lapped the crap out his car that day while I sat there attempting to get my car cooled down for its next run. He ended up running a 11.4's that day, all day long in 90 degree weather.

Like I mentioned earlier in this rambling, if you are willing to do further testing and post results I'm sure my buddy wouldn't have a problem getting you a kit. He has no plans on making this readily available until we could fully prove out the system. I know the weather you live in is somewhat extreme and IMO it would be great to get more results.

Let me know if you would like to move forward and I'll speak with MBtek this Thursday.
i am 100% in my man, for testing and everything.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
C'mon Alan, as if a 30-120 blast taxes your cooling system...what is that?...like 3 or 4 seconds of work? LOL!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Done modding huh?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
C'mon Alan, as if a 30-120 blast taxes your cooling system...what is that?...like 3 or 4 seconds of work? LOL!
I like the way you think Soup! Although the KC will help indeed cooling IATs we are fortunate not too much effort for these cars to go on a rolling 30 - 120 blast!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Killer Chiller installed and....