Sponsored by:

Quick tire question for you guys - lost PSI on a new tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
Quick tire question for you guys - lost PSI on a new tire

I posted this on the tire forum too, but I figure you guys may be a bit more focused over here.

So I got 4 new tires today, and had them mounted. After a little bit of driving, I stopped, and pulled over to check them.

One of the tires was almost flat, down to around 4 PSI and sagging on the floor. There was a hiss coming out of it. I filled it back up to normal PSI, and drove to a place to check it out.

They said that there was some air escaping through a bead in the tire, I guess some corrosion on the rim got a bit of the tire bead and made it leak air. The tire was driven on a bit with the low PSI, it did get a little bit of the lettering on the side scrapped off, but nothing too deep - the guy said it seemed fine, no bubbles, etc. He resealed it, and filled it back up, and it seems fine.

Is the tire really fine after all of this, or should I try and get it changed for a new one? I got it from tirerack. Will this tire be safe? It seems fine now.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63, 2006 C55
Re: Tire Leak

I'd get it replaced, the sidewall will be weakened from driving at 4psi. The installer should have caught this leak before you left. You bought 4 new tires, not 3.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
The tire seems to be fine, another guy who seems knowledgable looked at it. He said there were no bubbles or anything, just a bit of the rubber had been rubbed off from driving it a bit at lower PSI. I'll see the next few days if it holds the PSI, any small issue and I'll replace it. Otherwise it should be safe right?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
'06 E55, '15 Jeep SRT8, '94 Mustang GT
Driving at a low PSI heats up a sidewall and damages it. I'd get it replaced.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
This is a picture of the damage, the rim/tire are a little dirty from the installation grease and brake dust, but you can see a bit of the rubber was edged off. The guy who looked at it said it was fine and no damage was done to the internals, so is it just cosmetic at that level?
Attached Thumbnails Quick tire question for you guys - lost PSI on a new tire-photo.jpg  
Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E63 Performance Package
Originally Posted by rondocap
This is a picture of the damage, the rim/tire are a little dirty from the installation grease and brake dust, but you can see a bit of the rubber was edged off. The guy who looked at it said it was fine and no damage was done to the internals, so is it just cosmetic at that level?
I just got a flat today on my front right, and my tires were all replaced 1 1/2 weeks ago. Mine was not nearly as bad, and I replaced mine. Just looking at your tire would drive me crazy, not too mention sidewall fatigue.

You paid enough for your car, I am sure you can spend another $200 to keep it right.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55

That tire is done. You need a new one
Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 PM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I am not too experienced with tires, but what about that damage signifies the tire is no longer good? Is the sidewall weakened? Is it dangerous?
Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2004 E55
I am not too experienced with tires, but what about that damage signifies the tire is no longer good? Is the sidewall weakened? Is it dangerous?
See that ring on the sidewall with the graining? that's a sign of localized overheating caused by driving on the nearly flat tire. The results of that damage will be damage to sidewall construction and delamination/debonding of the sidewall.

That tire WILL fail. It's not a matter of If it's a matter of when
Old 11-23-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55 AMG, BMW 535i, Mazda Cx-7, Nissan 240sx
Make sure your rim is not bent or leaking air. take light soap water and run it through the rim and tire border a few times (both sides would be nice) and see if any soap bubbles up and are being pushed away
Old 11-23-2010, 09:50 AM

Mercedes S55 AMG
Yeah, i am a bit uneasy about this tire, i will just replace it and avoid a problem. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
Good move! I can't believe any tire person would say that is ok to drive on! I would also find a new tire guy!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I just ordered the new tire - and I am very impressed with tirerack! I called them, and told them what happened, and they said no problem, Continental has a warranty/road hazard program for any reason - so they are sending me a new tire, and will credit me back that tire when I send my old one back in.

Awesome! That resolves it.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
3-five-five/ TUNDRA/ 07 997 cab
I just ordered the new tire - and I am very impressed with tirerack! I called them, and told them what happened, and they said no problem, Continental has a warranty/road hazard program for any reason - so they are sending me a new tire, and will credit me back that tire when I send my old one back in.

Awesome! That resolves it.
I would be very careful while driving until it get's replaced. I would avoid speeds over 50MPH or so.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 AM

Mercedes S55 AMG
I will - I am basically just going to drive it to a tire place when it gets here.

Thanks again for the help guys!