Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Continental ExtremeContact DWS

All of you are aware by now that the North East got hit with a Blizzard. Well PA, NJ, NY and points North got punched in the eye this past Sunday. With over a foot or more in some places. Well on Sunday, I my E63 back from Pittsburgh, PA to New Jersey. Luckily for me, I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my car, and I knew that they were up to the task. I was fortunate not to get stuck, not even once, Thank God. Their were a few times, that I was fighting for grip, but these aren't snow tires mind you. Their rated fair in 2-3 inches of snow, not a foot. My front lip spoiler acted like a snow plow. I had so much freaking snow plowed up on the front on my car, that I could see the oil temperature starting to rise, as the coolers couldn't get any air. So I pulled over at a rest area, and began to chisel away at the ice berg, that has generated on the front of my ride. So after alot of miles white knuckling it, we finally reached my mother house, where I spent the night. There was no way, I was going to be able to drive back down to Virginia in this mess, DWS or not. I wasn't going to try and push my luck. I ask the Lord to let me make to my mother's house, and he obligued me. But I have to say that these are absolutely awesome tires. I will say this, in deep snow you want narrow tires, not these big fat meats, that I have on my car. They tend to mush the snow, instead of rolling over it. The roads and the Turnpike weren't plowed or salted in any way, man it was a mess out there. But I'm now back in Virginia now, the spolier took a few good whacks, show some battle damage from scraping the snow for several hundred miles, but nothing a little touch up paint can't fix.

Last edited by Yuille36; 12-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Black W212 E550
Originally Posted by Yuille36
Some on you already know about the Blizzard their calling for up North. Well NJ, PA, NY and points North of their took a whallup this past Sunday. With over a foot or more in some places. Well on Sunday, I my E63 back from Pittsburgh, PA to New Jersey. Luckily for me, I had the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on my car, and I knew that they were up to the task. I didn't get stuck not one time, Thank God. Their were a few times, that I was fighting for grip, these aren't snow tires mind you. Their rated fair in 2-3 inches of snow, not a foot. My front lip spoiler acted like a snow plow. I had so much freaking snow plowed up on the front on my car, that I could see the oil temps starting to rise, as the coolers couldn't get any air. So I pulled over to a rest area, and began to chisel away at the ice berg, that has generated on the front of my ride. So once we reached my mother house, I spent the night. There was no way, I was going to be able to drive back down to Virginia in this mess, DWS or not. But I have to say that these are great tires. I will say this, in deep snow you want narrow tires, not these big fat meats, that I have on my car. The roads and the Turnpike weren't plowed or salted in any way, man it was a mess out there. But I back home now, the spolier took a few good whacks, show some battle damage from scraping the snow for several hundred miles, but nothing a little touch paint can't fix.
I'm on my third set, tire life and ride quality very good compared to others and the reviews are excellent at tire rack (but we don't have the snow worry in NorCal). I would have gone with the DW's but they weren't available in my configuration.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
I have them on 3 of 4 of my cars (SL600, E500, C240), right this minute. The Rover has Yoke's on right now, only because the DWS isn't made in the proper size for that vehicle.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the DWS is the best all-season tire I've ever driven on. Not to mention, I cut a ridiculous 1.79 60' with them on the SL600.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
I have them too, I love them!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Agreed! I have 4 of them on now and although they're a "Harder" tire they have excellent treadlife (540 raiting) and excellent grip/hookup even at full throttle.

Alex
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 271 Posts
2005 E55
Im living right smack in the center of this weather,you have some ballzs to have driven through it.what are you using to monitor your oil temp? Or was it the coolant temp that rose
Old 12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by skratch77
Im living right smack in the center of this weather,you have some ballzs to have driven through it.what are you using to monitor your oil temp? Or was it the coolant temp that rose
On my E63, you can watch the oil temp and current gear selection through the instrumentation cluster. On my C63, it will display both the oil and engine coolant temperatures, in the cluster. It was good, so I was watching it and what gear I was in at the same time. One of the most important things not to do when driving in the snow is hitting the brakes, your only going to slide. Hitting the brakes is useless in that much snow, use your grears to slow down instead. So I stayed in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear for much of the way, from King of Prussia east ward, thru Norristown and Willow Grove to the NJ Turnpike, what a mess that was. My oil usually runs about 102 during the winter, and the most I have every seen it was like 118, when we had like 98 degree heat. This time it was like 110, not that bad, but it needed air, and so did the other coolers, radiators, trans cooler etc. It wasn't about having big ballz, driving thru a snow storm, it was about getting to my mother's house before we got stranded in that stuff. So I just said a Prayer, and he made it happen. But I was white knuckling it the whole way. What I should have done, was come back the next day. The first thing that I did, when I got back to Virginia was visit a car wash, and get that dam salt off of my car. That was the dirtiest, that this car has ever been.

Last edited by Yuille36; 12-28-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Good to hear about the DWS tires and how they handled for you. The E55 i picked up last Thursday has these tires on them and i'm glad to see other members using them as well!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
E550
I love the tires ride, handling and performance in Dry, Wet and Snow conditions, but I've had 2 sidewalls blow out after hitting a mid-sized pothole (not a massive crater by any means, maybe 2-3 inches deep max).

I have a friend who has them on his car, and he had a sidewall blow out just this past weed as well.

That's the only draw back I have noticed with them so far, when compared to Michelin Pilot A/S tires. I've hit much larger pot holes with the Michelin's on and haven't even had the tires bubble up.