Sponsored by:

Yet another Airmatic story...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E63 AMG
Yet another Airmatic story...

A few months back I had the front right airmatic strut on my E63 replaced after it was diagnosed to be leaking. Thanks to this forum I was able to use the Arnott replacement (and they did a good job shipping it to New Zealand in quick time!). If you think genuine Mercedes parts are expensive in the US, you ain't seen nothing yet!!!

However a week or so after the strut was replaced, the dreaded airmatic malfunction message started returning. My indy service guy has been chasing his tail trying to find it as it was intermittent (not every day but sometimes several times a day), and the error codes being thrown were not consistent, for example they switched between a right front strut valve malfunction and a left body acceleration sensor malfunction.

He finally cracked it when he discovered that the right front yaw sensor had some slight corrosion on one of its connectors. Apparently these sensors are very sensitive to voltage, and the corrosion was enough to give it 'sensor indigestion' (so to speak). With this sensor not responding properly, it seems that it threw the whole system out. This sensor helps the system to stiffen up the outside front right strut when turning left (which is why one error was left side body acceleration and the other was right front strut valve!).

He cleaned the connector and reinstalled about 5 days ago and it's been good ever since. What's more, I notice the car sitting noticeably flatter on hard cornering

So for those of you who get airmatic problems that seem not to be leak related, get your service guys to check the integrity of your sensor connections. It might be as simple as that
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
can you provide us with the location of the yaw sensor?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:36 PM

2006 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by shardul
can you provide us with the location of the yaw sensor?
Not sure but I will ask!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
'91 964 Turbo, '02 E55's & '14 E63s-w
.......and if the owner had Chrysler Service Contract or any other extended warranty,the dealer/shop would have changed the dang entire suspension costing atleast few thousand dollars in the process.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Great Tip. Thanks for the info!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Hmmm... I have noticed that my ESP / TC is coming on with more frequency and more intrusively than it ever has before. Mostly at throttle lift right prior to turn in. Typical pre-cloverleaf entering speeds and now the ESP is flashing like a maniac and it never used to - it's REALLY annoying - because I am not really even close to being aggressive here.

think could be related?

I hate to bring to dealer - as they will want to go replicate the problem and probably total the car - or - my favorite -tell me that behavior is normal (even though it has CHANGED noticeably over the course of the past 6-8 months.)
Old 02-01-2011, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I've seen this issue of sensor corrosion come up before on other forums. And I think there are one or two threads on MBWorld about it too.

The system isn't as simple as struts and air bags. The electronics are pretty complex and something can go wrong anywhere along the line. It's actually amazing it works as well as it does.

I have a pdf schematic with all the sensor locations, etc.. It's too big a file to attach but you can find it here under "files for 219 W211 training." 219 HO SAS (ACB-ICC) 07-31-02.pdf

http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdfs/index.htm

I have the newer file version, but it's basically the same as the one listed above.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:21 PM

2006 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Faast
.......and if the owner had Chrysler Service Contract or any other extended warranty,the dealer/shop would have changed the dang entire suspension costing atleast few thousand dollars in the process.
Well funny you should mention that because I've got a little niggle in the back of my mind that says maybe the initial strut failure wasn't actually a strut failure and maybe it was related to this sensor issue.

I've still got the old strut because the freight for it from NZ back to Arnott in the US is about the same as the core refund so I haven't done anything about it. I'm tempted to get it tested to see if it is actually leaking.

My service guy I am sure diagnosed it as failed in good faith but....unfortunately here in NZ no aftermarket warranty covers strut failure (and we don't have the 'pleasure' of the Chrysler option!).
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 AM

W211
Originally Posted by Q_Cars
Well funny you should mention that because I've got a little niggle in the back of my mind that says maybe the initial strut failure wasn't actually a strut failure and maybe it was related to this sensor issue.

I've still got the old strut because the freight for it from NZ back to Arnott in the US is about the same as the core refund so I haven't done anything about it. I'm tempted to get it tested to see if it is actually leaking.

My service guy I am sure diagnosed it as failed in good faith but....unfortunately here in NZ no aftermarket warranty covers strut failure (and we don't have the 'pleasure' of the Chrysler option!).
I had a similar problem and when I had it diagnosed it pointed to the right front accelerator sensor. I'm not sure if it is a coincidence or it has an effect on the height of the car as well. The same side slightly sags when not used for a couple of days or even when I back up the car and park it. Did this happen to yours as well? Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07' SL65, 04' E55, 03' Evo8, 08' GSXR, DSM's...
Interesting. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Aaron