W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INFAMOUS AIRMATIC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E55 AMG
Question INFAMOUS AIRMATIC

I less than a year ago, had the wonderful opportunity to get all decked out, and head downtown for some fun in my Benz. The Wife was out of town getting a break from me and my toddler was getting spoiled at grandmas. Unfortunately I had a warning light on my dash, STOP VEHICLE TOO LOW. LOW and behold (couldn't resist) the right side of my vehicle was dumped in the front like a Lowrider. It also looked like the back right was slightly, but later I discovered it just looked that way because of the front.

So being of strong faith and a believer myself I turned straight to the one that some say can answer almost all questions I put my hands together and type www.google.com. So it could be a line, a pump, a shock, maybe a couple other things, okay diagnosis time. So I tow my car to one shop that sounded great on the phone and had some good reviews online (so much for being a believer.) I get the car off the flatbed and insist I drive it down just as I drove it up. The shop tells me to grab a coffee or something and they will call me, even though I insisted I watch. I don't like to leave my car anywhere. I wasn’t too happy but shortly after about a 1.5 hours I get a call to head back, okay so it’s my front right Airshock, but my sensor arm is bent also? How would that even happen? "For now were pretty sure its the shock but you might need the pump as well" he said.

The price he quoted me from the dealer was insane for parts. I asked him if there was any alternative and he said unfortunately not, but I know there is ARNOTT, I’m sure he did too. Anyway I tell him that I can get the shock cheaper but it will take some time and ill bring the car back when I get the parts, he insists I keep the car there over and over. Now why would you want a car taking up room at your shop for a good week at least?
Just from his character I assure you it wasn’t out of the goodness of his heart.

So tow the car home, flatbed arrives, another jerk off. This guy is trying to stare at my suspension and peak underneath telling me I must have broke a spring or something. I said yaaa probably I don’t know, (I can’t be bothered to explain its Air Suspension). This guy refuses to let me drive my car up the ramp, says it’s against policy. I tell him that the last driver didn’t have a problem, he says its there discretion, so I say great guess what my car, my discretion, hit the road Jack. (And don’t you come back no more no more...lol) anyway I’m not an ******* but this douche was covered in oil and grease. I could tell he wouldn’t care to mess up my interior or mar my beautifully detailed paint that was just coated with Zymol Vintage a $2000 wax. So...bye-bye.
Called CAA got another Flatbed, great guy tows car home straps it the way I asked. He made me feel safe about my mistress. I tipped him well got his card and park up the car.

I call Arnott get a airshock, call dealer order a sensor arm, get the car towed again (called the same guy, who took care of me last time)...nice this is a good day... I drop it at a reputable shop that I get my 911 serviced at and they will call me when it’s ready. They call me to pick up my car, so happy to see my tire is not hiding from me anymore, I pay, hop in the mistress and off I go. Boy did I miss you baby...wait. WTF the car is veering to one side. Its just the road, I guess, nope its not, U-turn. I tell the shop my car is now herby and wants to go its own way, they align the car again, same thing.

The new ARNOTT airshock has the car hiked up a few mm higher than the other side. Now I don’t know if Arnott rebuilds the shocks slightly higher so you Have to buy 2 or if because of the age the other side, it is slightly lower, regardless I cant believe this Shi*t, Mercedes recommends changing both at the same time, this could be why. I always thought it was just part of Mercedes’ rape fetish. Anyway summers almost coming to an end and I’m not having anymore downtime its high time to do some double dating and show off the wives and wheels and do some fine dining in style. So I jack up the car grab a socket and a ratchet and a few washers, try a few choices, going for quick spins in between and bada bing perfect height after the second try.

Now this is NOT how I intend to keep my car but had a few questions I was hoping that you can all help me with.

I believe I did have the system recalibrated, they hooked up my vehicle via STAR diagnostic, played with some things, took it for a drive and came back. They did that multiple times however there was still a height difference. Do you happen to know what the procedure is for recalibrating? So I can verify that it was done. Also I know certain input values can be changed, that’s how people lower through Star, however input values should be at the same number for L&R no? If I were to adjust the value to bring the arnott shock slightly lower to match the other side, the input values would be uneven, do you think uneven input values for L&R to correct a difference in height negatively effects the suspension or car? It would save me from buying another shock and the install cost and time, however I figured I might as well do it the right way and put a second remanufactured shock to even the height.
I would greatly appreciate all your advice Thanks so much and I hope you all either have warranty or don't have to experience this pain in the A** problem. On a brighter note, I always wondered what the car would look like slammed...

Last edited by AMGV855; 02-01-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Grammar and structure was giving Migraines
Old 02-01-2011, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
I'd probably read your post in its entirety if you would maybe hit the return key once in while and start some new paragraphs.

My eyes are hurting
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo VIII/E55 AMG
Holy moly... I stopped after the first few sentences..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His wife crazy
This post was like a train wreck, I just had to read it through to the end... Now I'm cross eyed and have a headache.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:23 PM

E55 AMG
LOL.....I'm so sorry guys, I typed it up so quickly. I have a toddler on the run and a long leg cast. I edited it. How do I repost? I am truly so sorry.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
I can tell you from my car and me playing with SDS lowering that the values are not the same. If you set the same value, the car will be uneven. Also the range on the driver's side adjustment is less than the passenger side. Just keep measuring with tape while you lower till it's flush. Also keep in mind that sometimes when you raise one side (passenger), the opposite side (driver) will raise just a tad bit.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:41 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by nanayaw6
I can tell you from my car and me playing with SDS lowering that the values are not the same. If you set the same value, the car will be uneven. Also the range on the driver's side adjustment is less than the passenger side. Just keep measuring with tape while you lower till it's flush. Also keep in mind that sometimes when you raise one side (passenger), the opposite side (driver) will raise just a tad bit.
I see that is quite interesting. So you mean on a completely level surface like a alignment floor the values would still be different? Do you know why the range on the drivers side is adjustment is less than the passanger side?
Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55 AMG
Since you replaced the sensor, I'm thinking that might be why your ride height may have changed? I don't see any issues with using washers to keep it level. There are plenty of guys that have lowered their cars with washers. What's the difference?
I have a replacement Arnott shock on my car..no issues at all.

Last edited by Turbo 6; 02-01-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Turbo 6
Since you replaced the sensor, I'm thinking that might be why your ride height may have changed? I don't see any issues with using washers to keep it level. There are plenty of guys that have lowered their cars with washers. What's the difference?
I have a replacement Arnott shock on my car..no issues at all.
Ah... See here's the thing, The sensor arm I changed after. When I discovered the car was veering to one side, I wen't back to the shop and told them, they played with star re aligned and saw the sensor arm was slightly bent. I told them I had one and they said that was the problem. I replcaed the sensor at home and still the same problem. So the problem was there before changing the sensor arm. It was the sensor arm, not the acutal sensor. The difference in using the washers is , I have just enough thread left on the bolt to tighten it, I dont like that. I am using it to achieve a stock height. If I wanted to lower my car with washers I would not be able to lower the corner with the Arnott shock, because washers are already beign used to lower it to a stock height. Consider your self lucky, I'm glad you have no issues, however there are many posts online of people who are experiencing simmilar difficulties to me.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:31 PM

E55 AMG
I see what you're saying. Call Arnott tell them what you're experiencing. I'd ask them to send a replacement.
These things are easy to change. I did it in less than an hour on my first try.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Might be that $2000 wax causing the problem

Old 02-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 saab 93 aero, 2010 glk 4m
Originally Posted by AMGV855
I see that is quite interesting. So you mean on a completely level surface like a alignment floor the values would still be different? Do you know why the range on the drivers side is adjustment is less than the passanger side?
Well I haven't measured while on an alignment floor but onl in my arae which is level at least to the eye but the discrepancy from side to side was significant I recall.
I don't know why the different ranges of adjustment though. Maybe to compensate for the driver's weight??idk

I'd say lower the most limited corner(in terms of rang) and adjust the other side to match the height from ground to fender. That's what I did. I think changes correspond to +/-(1/8) of an inch per each increment/decrement.

I also think the difference in the range of acceptable values further supports the fact that the true readings are different when car is perfectly level because I doubt anyone would want the car to lean on purpose.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM

Slow
Originally Posted by Oliverk

Haha I thought the same thing, if you can afford $2000 wax you should be able to afford to get the suspension fixed
Old 02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
The dealer has to put the car on the alignment rack and do the SDS protocol. MB says it MUST be measured on the rack. And they use the Romess to measure the ride height, and not a tape measure. If the car doesn't sit precisely right on an irregular surface you can get slight differences. At least that's been my experience. I'd measure on a garage floor with a tape and get differences, and then on the rack with the Romess via SDS protocol and it would be perfect.

btw, I don't recall MB ever saying they replace both at once. In fact, it seems to have been a complaint by members here that they will only replace the side that's bad when under warranty. I'd venture to say that it's incorrect that MB says always two at a time. fwiw, the Arnotts are old struts with just new rubber.

fwiw, here's the pdf on the MB SDS protocol for the SAS height tests (called 319 Job Aid)
https://mbworld.org/forums/4162263-post9.html
Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Oliverk

LOL.... yea I will try and get my detailer to compensate me for the Airmatic failure.

On a side note, if you ever get a chance to put Zymol Vintage on your car, do your self a favor and get it done. It is night and day compared to any other wax out there, its applied on by bare hands after warming it in your palms, looks amazing and is litteraly creates a hydrophobic barrier.
INFAMOUS AIRMATIC-vintagee551.jpeg

INFAMOUS AIRMATIC-vintagee55.jpeg

INFAMOUS AIRMATIC-e55detailed.jpeg

INFAMOUS AIRMATIC-e55detailedvintage.jpeg
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 E55, 1997 E320 "Sold"
Looks shiny I do the chemguys 50/50 limited wax and it looks the same
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 220S
The dealer has to put the car on the alignment rack and do the SDS protocol. MB says it MUST be measured on the rack. And they use the Romess to measure the ride height, and not a tape measure. If the car doesn't sit precisely right on an irregular surface you can get slight differences. At least that's been my experience. I'd measure on a garage floor with a tape and get differences, and then on the rack with the Romess via SDS protocol and it would be perfect.

btw, I don't recall MB ever saying they replace both at once. In fact, it seems to have been a complaint by members here that they will only replace the side that's bad when under warranty. I'd venture to say that it's incorrect that MB says always two at a time. fwiw, the Arnotts are old struts with just new rubber.

fwiw, here's the pdf on the MB SDS protocol for the SAS height tests (called 319 Job Aid)
https://mbworld.org/forums/4162263-post9.html

Thanks for your valuable input and the pdf , I may have to do just that and throw it on the alignment maching .

Mercedes reccomends changing both out when one goes, at least Canada.

I know I just read that about Arnott and saw a video on youtube , of someone saying simmilar things about a Landrover airshock from Arnott.

I feel like crap that I went that route, but now that I have one from them thats new, it only seems logical to get the second from them to correct the height diffrence, if it cant be solved within reasonable adjustment of parameters(do you think its better to adjust via star or get another shock?) The Mercedes shock (non arnott ) hasnt failed. Or buy 2 new mercedes shocks and swallow the Arnott shocks loss. I dont think I want to do that. Thanks for all your help
and way to rub it in "Arnotts are old struts with just new rubber." lol
I feel like crap my car only has 43,000 miles on it
Old 02-01-2011, 09:01 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by mikey33
Looks shiny I do the chemguys 50/50 limited wax and it looks the same

My car looks exactly like the posted pictures, the one in the pictures also had Zymol vintage Applied but isnt my car.

Pictures hardly do justice, im sure your car looks great 95% of the look is the prep the LSP just finishes it off.

I don't own the Zymol Vintage, my detailer does and when you purchase it, you do get free refills for life. So for his scenario it works quite well.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:02 PM

E55 AMG
Im gonna have to try Chemical guys 50/50 if I ever get my airmatic sorted out.....lol